Author Topic: Cupsole Recommendations  (Read 36616 times)

ChompskyHonk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 8
  • flow state in the bruh dimension
Re: Cupsole Recommendations
« Reply #420 on: May 04, 2023, 10:17:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Idk if sb dunk hi's are cupsoles but they're comfortable on/off the board, honestly I'd love to wear "core" shoes but they're simply not as comfortable or protective imo. NB shoes impressed me when I tried them on too. I also really love the DC hiking shoes collab they did last year, wear them all the time.
[close]

sb dunks are definitely cupsoles. they're great and last forever. which dc hiking shoes did you get? navigators?
[close]

yeah, i got these. They actually skate really well too https://www.milk-store.com/en/products/pop-trading-co-x-dc-shoes-navigator

dude I've been wanting those since they dropped and have had no luck trying to find them recently. if you're in the us, is shipping from that site expensive?

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #421 on: June 01, 2023, 09:31:58 PM »
So far for cupsoles, I've skated the Ave Pros, which have a good balance between boardfeel and support. Toward the end of their lifespan they definitely start to feel less supportive, but maybe that just means it's time to retire them and not a fault of the shoe. Are they technically cupsoles? They're a sort of hybrid cup/vulc. I actually really like these for skating in and have skated quite a few pairs now.

Then I skated the Lakai Telford. They were nice in the beginning but the soles felt too thin after a while and skated basically like vulcs once the tread had worn down quite a bit. They were a bit painful in fact at that point, like there wasn't much separating my feet from my board.

After that I bought a pair of NB 1010s (my first corporate skate shoe purchase) because of all the rave reviews on Slap and elsewhere. I've tried skating in them a couple times now, including once today, but I just can't do it. They're too clunky for me. Maybe they skate better after skating in them a lot? However, I don't really have the patience for that. I've already worn them around for over a month but they still feel like moon boots to me when I try tricks. I don't get how people skate in these.

Gonna skate the Joslin 2s next and see how they feel.

The KSL G6s sound like they would work for me too based on this thread.

Edited to add this postscript: I actually bought another colorway (black) and material (suede with mesh) of the 1010s because they were on sale, and for some reason when I walk around in them they feel way more flexible and like they would have decent boardfeel. Maybe the other ones I have, the white suede, are just a stiffer and bulkier material? Even walking around in these black mesh ones feels different, and they look less beefy.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 09:50:41 PM by ChuckRamone »

rikki

• Rep: 273
« Reply #422 on: June 01, 2023, 11:27:38 PM »

Interested to hear how they perform. Liked the original Joslins quite a bit, lately been loving the NB 440s.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #423 on: June 02, 2023, 12:18:14 AM »
Despite the hatred for this brand, I would like to know, Are the Cariuma Catiba pro considered Vulcs or a cupsole / vulc min ?

I wonder if they protect better than basic Vulcs..

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #424 on: June 02, 2023, 12:30:21 AM »
Despite the hatred for this brand, I would like to know, Are the Cariuma Catiba pro considered Vulcs or a cupsole / vulc min ?

Cariuma is considered ubershit.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #425 on: June 02, 2023, 12:38:45 AM »

just turn around now and run, run for the hills (and as far away from Cariuma as you can)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #426 on: June 02, 2023, 02:09:53 AM »

europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #427 on: June 02, 2023, 03:45:36 AM »
Fastbreaks are good. Nylon needs shoe goo though
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #428 on: June 03, 2023, 08:58:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Interested to hear how they perform. Liked the original Joslins quite a bit, lately been loving the NB 440s.

Turns out I have the Joslin 1s. I thought I was getting the 2s but I got confused when buying them. The 1s are good though so far after a session.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #429 on: June 04, 2023, 01:37:55 AM »

Don't waste your money on them, but they are vulcs
Super Champion Fun Zone

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #430 on: June 04, 2023, 06:11:09 AM »
The Telford highs and NB 440 highs are very similar. I’m surprised more people don’t like the Telford here considering the popularity of the 440. Both are very thin, unstructured cupsoles. Flick is similarly vulc-like. Superglue is mandatory on both if you do flip tricks and need them to last until your next paycheck.

skatebruh

• Rep: 30
« Reply #431 on: June 04, 2023, 12:13:44 PM »
I got the NB 808s and there is zero boardfeel. I think it's great because I can try anything and my feet won't hurt.

Deepern0ah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #432 on: June 04, 2023, 11:18:45 PM »
Recent experiences with cupsoles and problematic wide feet:
Vans AVE was too thin and fit maybe a half size small. Wasn't a fan.
Emerica Reynolds G6 felt bulky and had a weird pinch area near toes. Skated okay.
Nike sb Nyjah 2 I liked at first then after them getting wet they felt like they shrunk and killed my feet.
Adidas tyshawns killed my feet. Pinched horribly.
Emerica gamma G6 feel great but are a little loose. Probably need to cinch the laces down a little more. Comfy but not bulky.
NB# 440 are thin but feel and skate great. Not sure on durability yet.
Vans Crockett highs feel good but fit maybe half size up. Feel a little long. 
Vans Lizzie feel thin but great. Heel area is a bit slippery unless laced tight up top.
Emerica spanky will not break in for me. Pinched toes.
Emerica Romeros are great once broken in but super thin and pack out quick. However looks like New versions have a removable insole.
Nike SB Dunk low are pretty solid across the board.
Few more on deck to try out but at this point Emerica and NB# have seemed pretty reliable.
Curious on NB# 440 high, 808 & 1010; Emerica KSL G6, wino G6 slip cup & figgy G6.

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #433 on: June 05, 2023, 05:08:52 AM »
I got the NB 808s and there is zero boardfeel. I think it's great because I can try anything and my feet won't hurt.

hahaaa that made me laugh...they are stiff as fuck for sure! i've only been wearing them a little indoors and for some errands maybe once and they did not loosen up one bit i feel like. but i am with you- no board feel is no hurting feet  ;)

curious what colorway you got?

Mine are the white ones with the blue/ yellow accents. i guess suede would break in over time?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #434 on: June 05, 2023, 05:39:20 AM »

my preferred scenario

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #435 on: June 05, 2023, 06:04:37 AM »
808 are the light.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #436 on: June 05, 2023, 08:04:31 AM »
Emerica Reynolds G6 felt bulky and had a weird pinch area near toes. Skated okay.
Nike sb Nyjah 2 I liked at first then after them getting wet they felt like they shrunk and killed my feet.
Emerica gamma G6 feel great but are a little loose. Probably need to cinch the laces down a little more. Comfy but not bulky.
Vans Lizzie feel thin but great. Heel area is a bit slippery unless laced tight up top.
Emerica Romeros are great once broken in but super thin and pack out quick. However looks like New versions have a removable insole.
Few more on deck to try out but at this point Emerica and NB# have seemed pretty reliable.
Curious on NB# 440 high, 808 & 1010; Emerica KSL G6, wino G6 slip cup & figgy G6.

Vans Lizzies are vulcs

rikki

« Reply #437 on: June 05, 2023, 09:19:34 AM »

LOL

Sounds like an old guy's shoe. Can't do with zero boardfeel though.

Re: NB 440: I'm fully hoping the next version (apparently there's a next gen in the works) will have a bit thicker sole/insole. The boardfeel is amazing and I can manage with the thin sole, but an evolution towards a more impact-protected version would be great. All in all it's one of my favorite shoes ever so far.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -48
« Reply #438 on: June 05, 2023, 10:42:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

hahaaa that made me laugh...they are stiff as fuck for sure! i've only been wearing them a little indoors and for some errands maybe once and they did not loosen up one bit i feel like. but i am with you- no board feel is no hurting feet  ;)

curious what colorway you got?

Mine are the white ones with the blue/ yellow accents. i guess suede would break in over time?

after putting in some good sessions at this point i can say the shoe breaks in and the suede/leather should loosen up slightly but the sole stays stiff as fuck which is either good or bad depending on how you look at it. i will say they are def not bagging out, but feel more like a nice leather baseball mit around my foot. i dont really like working long shifts in them tho as the cushion is a little agressive and the slim fit doesnt really go well with 8-10 hours of standing around. but they are my favorite shoes for skating right now. the lack of boardfeel doesnt really bother me and really isnt as bad as everyone says. i got used to it super fast. i think since theyre so narrow and formfitting it just doesnt feel like clunky and maybe thats what ive experienced more in the last few cupsoles ive tried.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #439 on: June 05, 2023, 12:41:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Vans Lizzies are vulcs trash.
Fixed it :)
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #440 on: June 05, 2023, 03:57:21 PM »
Reebok Club Cs are unironically the best cupsoles I’ve skated. Board feel is comparatively solid and they’re nice and grippy. They’re also flexible, and a lot of them have an Ollie patch

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1056
« Reply #441 on: June 05, 2023, 05:13:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
just turn around now and run, run for the hills (and as far away from Cariuma as you can)

1, 2 Mike V’s coming for you…

Daydream

• Rep: 78
« Reply #442 on: June 08, 2023, 05:12:32 PM »
Want a pair of fastbreaks or as-1 but haven’t tried either on

Do fastbreaks fit the same as chuck 70’s? (Not ctas) 

..that’s all I have to compare to, as those fit big and I go down to a 12. (No 12.5 made in any of them, so have to be sure between a 12 and a 13)

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #443 on: June 12, 2023, 05:04:01 PM »
Are there any NB cupsoles that have a little more boardfeel than the Tiagos? I tried the 1010s but they were too beefy for my liking, but I'm still curious what NB skate shoes are like otherwise.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #444 on: June 12, 2023, 05:23:32 PM »
440's are pretty thin no?

SorryReallySorryDVD

• Rep: 10
« Reply #445 on: June 12, 2023, 05:41:13 PM »
I’ve had over 10 pairs of Lakai Atlantics in a row and I’m sticking with them. They always break in easy for me. Really good shape and one of the best feeling and looking toes. They’re always easy to find for $40. I just wish there was more variety in colorways.

I’ve never tried the 440, but the Atlantics seem comparable. And they remind me of the Nike FC Classic from awhile back, which I think is one of the best looking Nikes.

GauchoAmigo

• Rep: 66
« Reply #446 on: June 12, 2023, 06:45:24 PM »
I'm sure this has been discussed already - and I know people have strong opinions about the és reboot - but I gotta say the accel slim is the best shoe I've tried in a while. Perfect amount of bulky-ness for me and super comfortable insole. Just my $0.02 after finally buying a pair.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #447 on: June 12, 2023, 10:45:12 PM »
Are there any NB cupsoles that have a little more boardfeel than the Tiagos? I tried the 1010s but they were too beefy for my liking, but I'm still curious what NB skate shoes are like otherwise.
I would suggest 508, 440 are too thin for my taste but maybe is what you're looking for
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

rikki

« Reply #448 on: June 12, 2023, 11:03:39 PM »

The 440 has amazing boardfeel. I kid you not.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 64
« Reply #449 on: June 16, 2023, 06:49:55 PM »
I kinda hate the 808s. 440s feel and skate better to me, but my knees and shins are bad so I go with the protection. I don't get way anyone would skate them if they don't have to, though. You can absolutely skate better in a lighter shoe IMHO.

440s are basically vulcs in the forefoot though.