Author Topic: 14” wb  (Read 34526 times)

mj23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: 14” wb
« Reply #180 on: April 29, 2021, 06:27:18 AM »
Different vibe than most of the decks being discussed, but I just copped a New Deal Danny Sargent Monkey Bomber reissue, 9.625" wide at its widest point, 31" long with a 14" or 14.5" wheelbase due to the double drilled front truck pattern.

Wanted to replace my Polar Dane 1 but they’re sold out everywhere and this seemed like a comparable shape. First time on a 14” wb but I have enjoyed 14.25” and prefer shorter over longer, I think.

Planning to pair it with the Ace 55s I had on the polar, but I guess Aces aren’t the usual go-to for short wb setups. Excited to try it out, hope it works decently

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1314
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #181 on: April 29, 2021, 03:18:01 PM »
Different vibe than most of the decks being discussed, but I just copped a New Deal Danny Sargent Monkey Bomber reissue, 9.625" wide at its widest point, 31" long with a 14" or 14.5" wheelbase due to the double drilled front truck pattern.

Wanted to replace my Polar Dane 1 but they’re sold out everywhere and this seemed like a comparable shape. First time on a 14” wb but I have enjoyed 14.25” and prefer shorter over longer, I think.

Planning to pair it with the Ace 55s I had on the polar, but I guess Aces aren’t the usual go-to for short wb setups. Excited to try it out, hope it works decently
I've been eyeballing that ND Vallely Mammoth with the 14" wb but wasn't sure how it would feel. Curious to hear more about the ND Danny Sargent
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #182 on: April 29, 2021, 06:01:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I've been eyeballing that ND Vallely Mammoth with the 14" wb but wasn't sure how it would feel. Curious to hear more about the ND Danny Sargent
Just took it for a spin. Outline is indeed similar to a Dane, but with more squared edges on the nose and tail. Concave is extremely flat, however. Nose is really flat too. Nollies feel like I’m stomping on a 2x4. I suddenly understand and feel the reason for so many of the weird quirks to early 90s street skating styles that I have noticed over the years.

Tail might already be a bit less snappy than it should be. I assume this was dwindle wood but I didn’t get a look at it because I ordered it with grip already applied (kind of dumb tbh but I’m traveling atm and I wanted this to be ready for me when I arrived, so I could just bring trucks on the plane). Whatever.

It’s fun to cruise around on overall, WB doesn’t honestly feel all that different from the 14.25” I had prior, seems fine with the Aces, and kind of feel like I’m learning a history lesson or something. Kind of overpriced if you’re not a collector (I’m not), but it depends how much you like the shape.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #183 on: April 30, 2021, 12:25:32 AM »
^At the time I only skated stuff out of the World camp so I don't know what ND decks were like but I can say that the World stuff was pretty mellow. Maybe that was the trend after the hellconcave period and ND was doing the same thing? I dunno if you got the board in the US or what you paid but I'm seeing this stuff for about 80USD which is not that big a deal since it seems like $60 is the lowest you're gonna get a regular deck for now. The shape game has always been a little more expensive but I know I got spoiled by all those Polar shapes being everywhere and regular price for a while. Thanks for the info.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #184 on: May 08, 2021, 03:22:17 AM »
Any leads on 8.375 pops with 14" wb?

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #185 on: May 08, 2021, 08:31:40 PM »

Hockey and FA usually have a 8.375 with a 14.12 wb.

frontfootimpossible

• Rep: -25
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #186 on: September 28, 2021, 05:49:54 AM »
I searched this thread and many more, but seem to either be illiterate or not looking hard enough. The 14" wheelbase boards I find in my area are all made in china/ dwindle/ clutch or other subpar wood in my area. Does anyone know of PS stix, BBS, or Generator 8.25" x 14" wheelbase boards with normal popsicle shape? Not into the square nose of FA/ wknd etc.

Thanks internet!
Quote from: Slap MessageBoards
frontfootimpossible,

You have received a warning for posting offensive material. Please cease these activities and abide by the forum rules otherwise we will take further action.

Regards,
The Slap MessageBoards Team.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #187 on: September 28, 2021, 06:15:48 AM »
I searched this thread and many more, but seem to either be illiterate or not looking hard enough. The 14" wheelbase boards I find in my area are all made in china/ dwindle/ clutch or other subpar wood in my area. Does anyone know of PS stix, BBS, or Generator 8.25" x 14" wheelbase boards with normal popsicle shape? Not into the square nose of FA/ wknd etc.

Thanks internet!
dwindle is actually really good wood, better qc than bbs and ps if you ask me. dont sleep on them
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #188 on: September 28, 2021, 08:18:42 AM »

Thanks internet!
Primitive my guy

hiljentaa

• Rep: 306
« Reply #189 on: September 28, 2021, 08:32:48 AM »

Enjoi Judkins Skart is 8.375 x 32.2 x 14.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #190 on: September 28, 2021, 08:59:50 AM »
Expand Quote

Thanks internet!
[close]
Primitive my guy

And April 8.25's. 

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #191 on: September 28, 2021, 09:54:22 AM »
https://fortressskateskateboards.com/

They do 8 x 31.88 x 14, pressed out of AC in Colorado, definitely keen to try 1 out.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

frontfootimpossible

• Rep: -25
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #192 on: September 30, 2021, 06:48:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks internet!
[close]
Primitive my guy
[close]

And April 8.25's.

Primitive is apparently shopping ±5 woodshops atm, so I'd prefer not to gamble. (Source someone I know is flow for Primitive and has been complaining about the fluctuation in shape/ quality of wood, I think he got 10 boards and they came in 4 different boxes and have different top/ warning stickers from each box)

Do you know what woodshop April uses?

PS stix wood is my favorite, but seems they don't offer any 8.25 x 14" WB anymore. Apparently they used to have quasi boards with that shape?
Quote from: Slap MessageBoards
frontfootimpossible,

You have received a warning for posting offensive material. Please cease these activities and abide by the forum rules otherwise we will take further action.

Regards,
The Slap MessageBoards Team.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #193 on: September 30, 2021, 07:02:24 AM »
I wasn't a huge fan of the BBS April 8.25 (i've got the yellow Yuto with the takeout food)... short wheelbase and long overall length made it amazing for manuals but it sucked on a lot of flatground tricks for me, i couldn't really find the sweet spot for flip tricks.

I've kept hold of it if I ever need to manual to the next town over, but I much preferred the Primitive 8.125" BBS I had prior.

Be interesting to see where Primitive and April boards end up being made long term.

At the moment i'm super hyped on the crailtap 8.25 G027, just bought my third one in a row.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #194 on: September 30, 2021, 07:06:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks internet!
[close]
Primitive my guy
[close]

And April 8.25's.
[close]

Primitive is apparently shopping ±5 woodshops atm, so I'd prefer not to gamble. (Source someone I know is flow for Primitive and has been complaining about the fluctuation in shape/ quality of wood, I think he got 10 boards and they came in 4 different boxes and have different top/ warning stickers from each box)

PS stix wood is my favorite, but seems they don't offer any 8.25 x 14" WB anymore. Apparently they used to have quasi boards with that shape?

Pretty sure they are BBS. I thought they used the exact same mold as Primitive. I did notice on the 8.38's the wb seem to be different from each other tho. Its been awhile since I've compared them.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #195 on: September 30, 2021, 07:52:40 AM »
I wasn't a huge fan of the BBS April 8.25 (i've got the yellow Yuto with the takeout food)... short wheelbase and long overall length made it amazing for manuals but it sucked on a lot of flatground tricks for me, i couldn't really find the sweet spot for flip tricks.

I've kept hold of it if I ever need to manual to the next town over, but I much preferred the Primitive 8.125" BBS I had prior.

Be interesting to see where Primitive and April boards end up being made long term.

At the moment i'm super hyped on the crailtap 8.25 G027, just bought my third one in a row.

That G027 is such a good all round popsicle shape. I skated my last one way longer than I should have because I didn’t wanna let it go. I like the G052 as well but not as much as the G027. I actually have a PS Stix made G052 right now and it’s honestly not as nice feeling as the China made boards are to me. Also the wb measured 14.125” so I don’t think it is a true G052, it’s probably some mold that PS Stix has that they thought was close enough

jrb32

• Rep: -2
« Reply #196 on: September 30, 2021, 08:02:10 AM »
Can confirm this, ordered a few 8.25 boards from Primitive. 2 say “made in Mexico” and one says “made in USA”.

Srt32srt

• Rep: 1
« Reply #197 on: September 30, 2021, 08:08:38 AM »
Chems_skate makes a wheelbase tool i use to redrill decks to 14" or as close as i can get to 14" or just below. he makes a 1/4" increment adjustments or 1/3" increment adjustments. easiest way to skate big boards and old schools.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #198 on: September 30, 2021, 02:53:46 PM »
Chems_skate makes a wheelbase tool i use to redrill decks to 14" or as close as i can get to 14" or just below. he makes a 1/4" increment adjustments or 1/3" increment adjustments. easiest way to skate big boards and old schools.

This is cool.  I'd love to drill back a polar surf jr shape to 14'
So many shapes i dismiss because of wb being too long

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #199 on: September 30, 2021, 04:04:39 PM »
Not to take food out of chem_skates mouth but you can also acquire a set of Indy 159 or 169s with cast baseplates and use the extra hole to drill forward or back 3/8".

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #200 on: September 30, 2021, 04:09:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks internet!
[close]
Primitive my guy
[close]

And April 8.25's.
[close]

Any other info you have about Primitive is interesting from a woodshop perspective.

I don't think that April has any plans to change from BBS, but who knows really.

The funny thing is Primitive seems to be all about the margins, so they were just going for the cheapest suppliers when BBS upped their board prices ($1 increase per board makes a pretty big difference when talking about thousands on thousands of decks) but then a number of woodshops have had shortages, so they have had to go back to whatever they could get, hence the shortage of Primitive boards recently.

Woodshop thread here if you wanted to update any other info too:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=116070.0

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #201 on: September 30, 2021, 05:12:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks internet!
[close]
Primitive my guy
[close]

And April 8.25's.
[close]

[close]

Any other info you have about Primitive is interesting from a woodshop perspective.

I don't think that April has any plans to change from BBS, but who knows really.

The funny thing is Primitive seems to be all about the margins, so they were just going for the cheapest suppliers when BBS upped their board prices ($1 increase per board makes a pretty big difference when talking about thousands on thousands of decks) but then a number of woodshops have had shortages, so they have had to go back to whatever they could get, hence the shortage of Primitive boards recently.

Weren’t there rumors that PRod was going to start his own woodshop? Was that debunked?

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1291
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #202 on: September 30, 2021, 05:51:21 PM »
Not to take food out of chem_skates mouth but you can also acquire a set of Indy 159 or 169s with cast baseplates and use the extra hole to drill forward or back 3/8".
If you don't already have the indy plates the chem tool is a no brainer at $22.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #203 on: September 30, 2021, 05:58:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Ah good point

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #204 on: September 30, 2021, 06:17:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Ah good point

+ 20 shipping for me

Bummer and the biggest set of indys i have are 149's
Alas no double drilled action 4 me

Put on my list of shit I want to buy

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #205 on: September 30, 2021, 08:48:06 PM »
This WKND 8.875VB is actually 14"wb when measured. stamping on the deck stated 14.25. actual board length is 81cm or close to 32".

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #206 on: September 30, 2021, 09:59:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Ah good point

Hmmmm
Could I just use an independent 6 hole riser pad? 

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #207 on: October 01, 2021, 02:38:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Ah good point
[close]

Hmmmm

It does work.

Any truck with a six hole baseplate or even risers as templates work for a 3/8" change.

Just put the deck bolts through the other holes to hold in place (with or without the truck mounted too) and mark them out in case they move, then drill.  To do the other end, turn it around and put the deck bolts through the new holes at one end.

Simple enough but the most annoying thing is if the template / truck / risers move and your truck is off center.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #208 on: October 01, 2021, 05:48:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Ah good point
[close]

Hmmmm
[close]

It does work.

Any truck with a six hole baseplate or even risers as templates work for a 3/8" change.

Just put the deck bolts through the other holes to hold in place (with or without the truck mounted too) and mark them out in case they move, then drill.  To do the other end, turn it around and put the deck bolts through the new holes at one end.

Simple enough but the most annoying thing is if the template / truck / risers move and your truck is off center.

Cheers yep Makes sense.

Thing is I was unaware that the difference of old vs new truck holes was 3/8

Thank u

z_tx

• Rep: 26
« Reply #209 on: October 01, 2021, 06:15:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks internet!
[close]
Primitive my guy
[close]

And April 8.25's.
[close]

[close]

What woodshop makes the primitive decks that say "made in USA" ? I just checked my stack of primitive 8.25s and half of them say USA and half mexico. Kinda bummed as i thought they were all BBS before i checked the stickers