Author Topic: 14” wb  (Read 34644 times)

Skatebeard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 130
Re: 14” wb
« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2021, 07:14:39 AM »
Cheers man, I have since found out the Glick is actually 14.25" and not 14" as listed most places (including the actual foundation site!).

Cancelled that order as well, Tum Yeto stuff will have to wait til I can get to an actual shop.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #121 on: March 25, 2021, 07:24:07 AM »
Expand Quote

That is more than a bit frustrating!

Where are you in the world?

I know it seems that all the Toy and Foundation are what seems like cheap and weird feeling decks from China for a number of places including here in Australia, but the pro boards in the US are said to be PS Stix (usually shorter wheelbases) with the team boards BBS, as per some other posts I have seen on Slap.
[close]

I'm UK based...which tracks with what you are saying, here are a lot of the price point Toy boards kicking around.

I'll be interested to see if the Glick I ordered is PS stix...any way to tell?

Some shops have the top and bottom view of all their boards, which is amazing for seeing what wood, or at least what it is not.

As you said, best to try a skate shop and see what you can find and stand on.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Skatebeard

« Reply #122 on: March 27, 2021, 09:06:06 AM »
Tidied up today so got the 14" collection out.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #123 on: March 27, 2021, 10:06:55 AM »

I'm feeling the bedspread.

The decks ain't half bad.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #124 on: March 27, 2021, 10:59:17 AM »

Flexin. Interested to hear what goes the best. I want that Yuto, CT, Jamal....

Skatebeard

« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2021, 11:10:12 AM »
I skated a Girl G027 8.25 Bannerot, then primitive mclung 8.125 out of this collection previously.

Liked the Girl well enough to buy another G027, the taper will be one of those things you either do or don't get on with.

Was hyped on the Primitive 8.125, nice mellow shape, bit of length to the tail which I appreciated. Always like the BBS pop and general feel.

I'm on a Girl 8.125" G023 now, haven't skated it much yet due to a back injury but it feels pretty nice, think I'll enjoy it...slightly shorter tail than I usually ride.

The April Yuto 8.25 is so so flat it's crazy, super mellow nose and tail, visibly flatter than the emotional baggage 8.25" G027 next to it, and those don't exactly have steep kicks.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2021, 05:18:30 PM »
Expand Quote
I like 14” wheelbases. Only like to skate Ventures on 14” wb, or less.
There has been some good talk about shorter boards, but it’s often mixed in with width. I was hoping for some recommendations/discussion on different size boards, with yet again, the 14” wb.
I hate the idea of starting a thread for my own little weird 14 fetish, but maybe there is others out there like me.
 So far, my faves have been anything ps, Craig 14’s, and then the green eagle.
[close]

Ngl the primitive Giovanni vianna 8.25 with a 14" wb is so good. Love the shape.

Crailtap g052.

Maxallure 8.25s are 14" wb i believe.
Glad to hear this. I just picked one up the other day because the dementions seemed perfect for what I'm looking for. Gonna put some venture 5.8 his on it.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #127 on: April 03, 2021, 07:31:07 PM »
I actually have a 9" loveseat (14 wb) freshly set up with mini logo trucks.

I've only skated it a couple times in the street but it feels ok, I'm used to skating low thunders on a 14" so the pop is kind of odd, but in terms of the ride, board feels very compact even for a 9" wide, it's pretty fun to turn even on brand new trucks.

I'll update once ive skated it a bit more and done some flatground work on it.

What’s a loveseat? I just got a pair of titanium 169’s and would love a 9” board with 14” wheelbase, sounds dope!
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2021, 07:45:37 PM »
Expand Quote

I've only skated it a couple times in the street but it feels ok, I'm used to skating low thunders on a 14" so the pop is kind of odd, but in terms of the ride, board feels very compact even for a 9" wide, it's pretty fun to turn even on brand new trucks.

[close]

What’s a loveseat? I just got a pair of titanium 169’s and would love a 9” board with 14” wheelbase, sounds dope!
https://crailtap.com/shapes/

9" + crail shapes but they taper a good amount and the loveseat actually has a 13.875″ wb

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2021, 08:34:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

9" + crail shapes but they taper a good amount and the loveseat actually has a 13.875″ wb

Yeah, they're like 8.5"-8.6" over the trucks. Great shape though!

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #130 on: April 04, 2021, 02:52:01 AM »
haha i'm going mad. scouring shops for short wheelbase decks. i'm obsessed with finding a 8.25 with 13 7/8 wb at about 31.5 length. what was that 9 inch deck that had that short wheelbase? the one where you said you had the deathwish version from @FrozenIndustries

i'm definetly switching trucks after i'm done with my ventures though. i like them, but for some reason skateboarding is more exhausting with them, and after all the wheelbase talk on here and from my feeling, it's just that every board feels slightly too long. i also miss the more easy and controllable pop i had with indys. with the ventures it's like my flips look either sloppy or super good, but there's no comfy middleground for some reason. i'm a midget riding a 14.6 wheelbase rn basically with the ventures on. next up i'm trying either ace or film for that minimal wheelbase extension and maybe even size down the width to make it easier to find short wheelbase decks.

only deck i can find rn online that fits the bill is an evisen deck at 8.25 and 14 inch wb. otherwise i might have to watch out for the next palace drop so i can get a jamal board.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #131 on: April 04, 2021, 04:25:20 AM »
i'm definetly switching trucks after i'm done with my ventures though. i like them, but for some reason skateboarding is more exhausting with them

i'm a midget riding a 14.6 wheelbase rn basically with the ventures on
i have committed that sin before, the universe just might be saying "no" to that truck combo.

ventures shine in the 14-14.25" range with 14.38 being the absolute maximum i could recommend. anything over that felt like i was relearning how to skate from scratch, truly concerned that its cursed.

save them for the short wheelbases
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #132 on: April 04, 2021, 05:09:31 AM »
Expand Quote
i'm definetly switching trucks after i'm done with my ventures though. i like them, but for some reason skateboarding is more exhausting with them

[close]
i have committed that sin before, the universe just might be saying "no" to that truck combo.

ventures shine in the 14-14.25" range with 14.38 being the absolute maximum i could recommend. anything over that felt like i was relearning how to skate from scratch, truly concerned that its cursed.

oh yeah, i'm not saying they are bad, i had a lot of fun with them and they turn good for me. but since i have them i had to readjust my pop a lot. it seems to matter a lot more where i put my back foot now, have to be way more precise. i wanna try a short wb with the ventures first before i switch trucks or even widths. i was used to 14.25 wb before with my indys and it seemed fine. probably gonna need a new set of trucks by the end of the summer anyway.

EDIT: rn i'm on a 14.25 wb actually and with the ventures this extends the complete wb to i think 14.8 even? if i read that chart correctly someone, probably brimson, posted. like 0.3 inches per truck or something like that. not sure what the reference was. i mean clearly it's not axle to axle, since the axle on ventures is way further back than 0.3 inches from the center of the inner bolts. probably missed something along the conversation.

it would probably more useful to have the center of each set of truck holes be the reference for wheelbase instead of the bolts so it's easier to determine actual wheelbase from how much setback there is for each different truck manufacturer from center, if that makes sense.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 05:19:22 AM by Frank »

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #133 on: April 04, 2021, 07:20:48 AM »
haha i'm going mad. scouring shops for short wheelbase decks. i'm obsessed with finding a 8.25 with 13 7/8 wb at about 31.5 length. what was that 9 inch deck that had that short wheelbase? the one where you said you had the deathwish version from @FrozenIndustries

i'm definetly switching trucks after i'm done with my ventures though. i like them, but for some reason skateboarding is more exhausting with them, and after all the wheelbase talk on here and from my feeling, it's just that every board feels slightly too long. i also miss the more easy and controllable pop i had with indys. with the ventures it's like my flips look either sloppy or super good, but there's no comfy middleground for some reason. i'm a midget riding a 14.6 wheelbase rn basically with the ventures on. next up i'm trying either ace or film for that minimal wheelbase extension and maybe even size down the width to make it easier to find short wheelbase decks.

only deck i can find rn online that fits the bill is an evisen deck at 8.25 and 14 inch wb. otherwise i might have to watch out for the next palace drop so i can get a jamal board.

9.1"x32" with a 13.875" WB, Baker also has run the shape a couple times. I have the same thing with ventures, can pop way higher but it just doesn't feel worth it.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #134 on: April 04, 2021, 07:23:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Truth, I swapped my forged baseplates with cast ones on my 5.6 Titanium, lost a bit on pinch but the added height was nice for kickflips, made the timing of the pop more forgiving.

Haven't had success with Ventures on anything bigger than 14.25, and 14.125 is the widest I would go. Anything 14.25 and above and I go with Thunder.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #135 on: April 04, 2021, 08:25:35 AM »
Similar feelings for me over here, re ventures and wb. I also have noticed that for me, I need to put my popping foot out towards the very tip of the deck, where as with something like thunders I can be more in the pocket.
I’ve had an evisen, the 8.25, cool board. The wb was 14, I think it was listed as less, and it’s 31.5, again listed as less. The wood was ok, stiff. I prefer ps so it wasn’t my fave. The drawback to short boards with short wb, and then ventures, for me, is that the nose and tail are short, so the foot placement thing becomes more important.
I like ventures. The pop is excellent. Rn I’m fucking with thunders. Got pitched last night tho, pretty good slam for a flatground switch ollie. Forgot how quickly thunders wheelbite.

Trying to decide between business & co, and April deck. For me b&c is waaaaaaay cooler, but that April 8.25 looked nice.

Thanks for everyone’s ideas and thoughts so far

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #136 on: April 04, 2021, 11:24:44 AM »
Similar feelings for me over here, re ventures and wb. I also have noticed that for me, I need to put my popping foot out towards the very tip of the deck, where as with something like thunders I can be more in the pocket.
I’ve had an evisen, the 8.25, cool board. The wb was 14, I think it was listed as less, and it’s 31.5, again listed as less. The wood was ok, stiff. I prefer ps so it wasn’t my fave. The drawback to short boards with short wb, and then ventures, for me, is that the nose and tail are short, so the foot placement thing becomes more important.
I like ventures. The pop is excellent. Rn I’m fucking with thunders. Got pitched last night tho, pretty good slam for a flatground switch ollie. Forgot how quickly thunders wheelbite.

Trying to decide between business & co, and April deck. For me b&c is waaaaaaay cooler, but that April 8.25 looked nice.

exactly

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #137 on: April 04, 2021, 12:39:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

exactly

Yo Frank, check the last AWS board in the set-up thread.
8.25 x 31.7 with 14 wb. If the measurements are true I will try to find that deck in Europe.
IG: @flowterspace

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #138 on: April 04, 2021, 12:45:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

exactly
[close]

8.25 x 31.7 with 14 wb. If the measurements are true I will try to find that deck in Europe.

oh sick, thanks a lot! i'll check that board out. is it ps stix though? if you can't find it at a small shop then check titus for it, they have lots of alien stuff in stock usually.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #139 on: April 04, 2021, 12:51:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

exactly
[close]

[close]

oh sick, thanks a lot! i'll check that board out. is it ps stix though? if you can't find it at a small shop then check titus for it, they have lots of alien stuff in stock usually.

All the AWS decks I got in Europe were made in China.
Probably from the Dwindle woodshop,  since they had that regrowth stamp between the front truck holes.

Yeah I know made in China bla bla but they were all excellent quality and I wasn't able to break one.
I break HLC and MDCN decks like crazy for some reason.
IG: @flowterspace

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #140 on: April 04, 2021, 12:59:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

exactly
[close]

[close]

[close]

Probably from the Dwindle woodshop,  since they had that regrowth stamp between the front truck holes.

Yeah I know made in China bla bla but they were all excellent quality and I wasn't able to break one.
I break HLC and MDCN decks like crazy for some reason.

thanks again, i'm totally fine with dsm if that the case.

yeah hlc and mdcn decks are only good for like a week haha. talked with some other pals recently about this. my hlc decks always snapped out of nowhere on tricks in flat or banks. mdcn skate better imo, but after a week they just feel dead and sogged up. i had one trap board way way back in 2007 or so delam completely lol. like every ply on the nose became loose until i could flip through em like a book.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
« Reply #141 on: April 04, 2021, 07:03:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, they're like 8.5"-8.6" over the trucks. Great shape though!

Thanks fellas. Is the couch also 8.5” over the trucks as well?
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #142 on: April 04, 2021, 07:24:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

exactly
[close]

[close]

[close]

Same goes with Habitat, I've seen some with DSM stickers, some with a "Made in China" top marking.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #143 on: April 04, 2021, 07:39:38 PM »
Anyone got any leads for a deck with the following dims? 7.6-7.75 width, 31.3-31.4 length, 14 wb, 6.5 tail, 6.75 nose? Would prefer medium to medium steep kicks. Most decks I see have tiny tails and it messes up my pop.

The Baker 7.56 looks pretty interesting too at 7.56x31.75 (according to the Baker boys site). Anyone know nose and tail and wheelbase?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 08:12:49 PM by FatGuy92 »

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #144 on: April 05, 2021, 09:47:56 AM »
Anyone got any leads for a deck with the following dims? 7.6-7.75 width, 31.3-31.4 length, 14 wb, 6.5 tail, 6.75 nose? Would prefer medium to medium steep kicks. Most decks I see have tiny tails and it messes up my pop.

The Baker 7.56 looks pretty interesting too at 7.56x31.75 (according to the Baker boys site). Anyone know nose and tail and wheelbase?

Alien workshop has a 7.75 out very similar , full nose , 14” WB

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #145 on: April 05, 2021, 02:00:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Alien workshop has a 7.75 out very similar , full nose , 14” WB

This one?

https://www.tactics.com/alien-workshop/og-burst-775-skateboard-deck

I couldn't find nose and tail dims on it but if it's similar to what I'm looking for I might try it out

Skatebeard

« Reply #146 on: April 06, 2021, 07:50:46 AM »
Few sessions deep on my G023 8.125 Girl deck now.

As much as it irritates me, I don't feel like I'm fully on board with this one, feels nice to skate, good dims on paper...but my flips just don't feel quite right, it skates like a smaller board (7.75 or 7.5)...and is all flat with kicktails that start quite late. I like flat decks as well...

That said, absolute beast for manuals...tons of flat after the bolts, broke my own PB and got a 60ft manual out of it. shuv tricks come round pretty quick too which could be good for learning a couple of things i've had on the back burner.

I like the wood well enough, but my fakie flip tricks are suffering, when I'm struggling to land a fakie heelflip consistently, I generally know something isn't quite right, think the short tail may be contributing to that as my fakie kickflips have gone a bit weird too.

Shall perservere but it's not a shape/width combo I would rush back to atm, unless I was trying to manual to the next town over.

Stood on the 8.25" Yuto when I got home... got a good feeling about that one, and I always have a nice time on BBS wood, might have to be next up.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #147 on: April 06, 2021, 01:20:20 PM »

As much as it irritates me, I don't feel like I'm fully on board with this one, feels nice to skate, good dims on paper...but my flips just don't feel quite right, it skates like a smaller board (7.75 or 7.5)...and is all flat with kicktails that start quite late. I like flat decks as well...

That said, absolute beast for manuals...tons of flat after the bolts, broke my own PB and got a 60ft manual out of it. shuv tricks come round pretty quick too which could be good for learning a couple of things i've had on the back burner.

I like the wood well enough, but my fakie flip tricks are suffering, when I'm struggling to land a fakie heelflip consistently, I generally know something isn't quite right, think the short tail may be contributing to that as my fakie kickflips have gone a bit weird too.

Shall perservere but it's not a shape/width combo I would rush back to atm, unless I was trying to manual to the next town over.

Stood on the 8.25" Yuto when I got home... got a good feeling about that one, and I always have a nice time on BBS wood, might have to be next up.
Do you have any feelings on the G028? Slightly wider but still a 14" wb. I've wanted to try one for a while now.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Skatebeard

« Reply #148 on: April 07, 2021, 12:07:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Do you have any feelings on the G028? Slightly wider but still a 14" wb. I've wanted to try one for a while now.

That shape has actually flown under my radar somehow, like the look of it though, 8.18" appeals for sure.

jaysouthbay

• Rep: 1
« Reply #149 on: April 08, 2021, 11:05:35 PM »
whats your inseam/height and did moving to a 14 wb affect your flips , if so how