Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 205987 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY
« Reply #210 on: May 24, 2021, 07:12:56 PM »
Seems like to some it could be the other way round, but the location of manufacture is nowhere near as important as the quality of the product.

If there are decent boards coming out of some seemingly unknown woodshops, that is a good thing, but often the lack of transparency clouds the judgement or the fact that cheap or lower quality woodshops still exist in areas.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

ManimalChin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 22
« Reply #211 on: May 24, 2021, 09:22:51 PM »
Seems like to some it could be the other way round, but the location of manufacture is nowhere near as important as the quality of the product.

If there are decent boards coming out of some seemingly unknown woodshops, that is a good thing, but often the lack of transparency clouds the judgement or the fact that cheap or lower quality woodshops still exist in areas.

For sure. Location does not matter.

Woodshops in Mexico are still being run by people who live in SoCal and have been in the business for decades, therefore they usually put out fairly consistent products. They're in Mexico for cheaper labor. DSM is a good woodshop in China because Rodney set it up his way to get things done correctly. It's also in China because of labor costs. A lot of wood still travels from the Great Lakes to China, which can be quite costly. I have heard that some China shops (for some big brands) are using actual wood from China, so that is...interesting.

Just find a board with concave, shape and graphics you like. If you want to support small woodshops being run out of people's houses, that's cool too. I wouldn't worry too much if your board is coming from this shop, that shop or another shop. Some shops make a more consistent product than others, but no shop is putting out 100% perfect skateboards.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1920
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #212 on: May 24, 2021, 10:23:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Woodshops in Mexico are still being run by people who live in SoCal and have been in the business for decades, therefore they usually put out fairly consistent products. They're in Mexico for cheaper labor. DSM is a good woodshop in China because Rodney set it up his way to get things done correctly. It's also in China because of labor costs. A lot of wood still travels from the Great Lakes to China, which can be quite costly. I have heard that some China shops (for some big brands) are using actual wood from China, so that is...interesting.

Just find a board with concave, shape and graphics you like. If you want to support small woodshops being run out of people's houses, that's cool too. I wouldn't worry too much if your board is coming from this shop, that shop or another shop. Some shops make a more consistent product than others, but no shop is putting out 100% perfect skateboards.

I've heard that there's lots of Grey naming with it comes to maple. In terms of maple quality from worst to best quality - China, North America / Canadian, Russian; something about the colder climate producing harder wood? Even if a China woodshop says it uses Canadian maple, it could be from trees cultivated in China. So take terms like 100% Canadian maple with a grain of salt.

Not a maple scientist, just stuff from the grapevine
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #213 on: May 24, 2021, 11:39:59 PM »
I just think with crail they lay ups and quality seem consistent but the PS stuff hasn't been as good as it used to be.....

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 859
« Reply #214 on: May 25, 2021, 03:12:26 AM »
Girl has been doing a bit more PS......

My hot take is the China boards are better....

Is anything other than the Jeron black fist on PS? I'd definitely be interested in skating a PS girl deck. The only one I have is one of the Jovantae reissue 7.5 and it's great but just too small for me to regularly skate. If they're doing 8.1 or 8.2 on that mold I'll be stoked as fuck. Hope it isn't just a one-off special edition like the Jovantae and Carroll bruised heels were.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 03:25:27 AM by Buttfart Rapedick »

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #215 on: May 25, 2021, 06:57:57 AM »
Has people been having issues with bbs lately? Ive heard a few people at the park mention their decks was breaking fast felt soggy etc. all of which was real decks that they mentioned I had a krooked but it wasn’t that bad just chipped easily. It’s kinda putting me off of buying BBS right now. Has anyone else had this happen or heard of i or maybe this is just an isolated incident?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #216 on: May 25, 2021, 07:07:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Is anything other than the Jeron black fist on PS? I'd definitely be interested in skating a PS girl deck. The only one I have is one of the Jovantae reissue 7.5 and it's great but just too small for me to regularly skate. If they're doing 8.1 or 8.2 on that mold I'll be stoked as fuck. Hope it isn't just a one-off special edition like the Jovantae and Carroll bruised heels were.

From that Girl wood thread from a while back, someone had quite a few in all sizes online from their shop, or the Girl website itself, but something makes me think it might have been Canada, more so than USA.

Found it, from Jan 2021 so pretty old now and the links don't work to the 8.25, 8.38 and 8.5 sizes listed, but this was the post:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=84855.msg3488167;topicseen#msg3488167

Has people been having issues with bbs lately? Ive heard a few people at the park mention their decks was breaking fast felt soggy etc. all of which was real decks that they mentioned I had a krooked but it wasn’t that bad just chipped easily. It’s kinda putting me off of buying BBS right now. Has anyone else had this happen or heard of i or maybe this is just an isolated incident?

Yes it has definitely been noted by more than a few people, so maybe the process was rushed in getting wood out to fill orders or whatever it was and not leaving them to cure for long enough.  All the BBS boards that I have had since covid shutdowns have been fine, but I don't skate that hard really, including both pro wood and price point decks (but all are DLX boards from all three AH, Real and Krooked).

Also note the price points seem like they have softer wood than the pro boards, so if it is a team edition with only one coloured layer, or all natural, then it probably is the cheaper board, especially those Skate Shop Day decks, which had quite a few issues.

Some shops make a more consistent product than others, but no shop is putting out 100% perfect skateboards.

Agreed.  Just copied these lines, which tie in with the question from Murge too.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 07:20:30 AM by Mbrimson88 »

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 603
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #217 on: May 25, 2021, 01:24:41 PM »

I have a similar experience with my current Anti Hero. The shape is nice and all but the wood itself feels really soft (chipping easily, sharp edges cut of little pieces of wood).
Around 20 sessions in now and feels like it is on it's last end.

The Anti Hero from my homie broke after 10 sessions, but to be fair, he stomped directly in the middle at a pop shuv attempt. I think every deck will break if you land like that.
IG: @flowterspace

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #218 on: May 25, 2021, 08:07:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have a similar experience with my current Anti Hero. The shape is nice and all but the wood itself feels really soft (chipping easily, sharp edges cut of little pieces of wood).

The Anti Hero from my homie broke after 10 sessions, but to be fair, he stomped directly in the middle at a pop shuv attempt. I think every deck will break if you land like that.

The last BBS I bought was a real oval or one of the mason 8.28 (with the gonz art), both around the same time. Neither has felt any different to me but I haven't really skated the oval much (8.12 x 31.38 shape.. it's good but I just haven't really been into smaller decks at the moment). I would guess they were manufactured in the last part of 2020 or very early 2021.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

From that Girl wood thread from a while back, someone had quite a few in all sizes online from their shop, or the Girl website itself, but something makes me think it might have been Canada, more so than USA.

Found it, from Jan 2021 so pretty old now and the links don't work to the 8.25, 8.38 and 8.5 sizes listed, but this was the post:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=84855.msg3488167;topicseen#msg3488167

Thanks. I'm looking around for those decks but all the ones I've been able to find pics of have been the usual tops, no PS stickers spotted other than the Jeron. I want to try one of these but I'd really prefer to find another graphic. I'm not sure if my hairy white ass can get away with toting a black power fist deck around at work. I guess the trucks will cover a bit of it and I could sticker it up if need be, but I'd really prefer a classic 93 til or something like that.

Gino's Back 180 Nosegrind

• Rep: 34
« Reply #219 on: May 28, 2021, 12:44:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Is there a clutch chart where it says the wheel bases for the size and shape? I know on their site like it has width and lengths but not the wheel bases. I saw some k shapes and was curious on what the wheel bases would be on 8.5 K and O shape
[close]

A page back, but not sure if they updated the chart too.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=116070.msg3558270;topicseen#msg3558270

Here's a 2019 spec list I got from one of their reps. Should still be the same dimensions? I think they're only doing K and O shaped boards at the moment. 

ish_wav

• Rep: 94
« Reply #220 on: May 28, 2021, 03:38:20 PM »
What wood shop does CCS use? I ordered a custom, and it has a single dimple between nose bolts. My immediate guess is woodchuck laminates?
https://imgur.com/a/uOPiIFf

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #221 on: May 28, 2021, 06:47:45 PM »
What wood shop does CCS use? I ordered a custom, and it has a single dimple between nose bolts. My immediate guess is woodchuck laminates?

Prime also has single dot/ dimple

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #222 on: May 28, 2021, 07:30:07 PM »

Yeah the dot is fairly common across a lot of woodshops, which is the easiest way to make sure the board is the right way round (almost always at the front) but I think the best way is put it side on and check the concave against some others, because the feel of the concave is the best tell for me.

Unless you have one or more of each major woodshop, it is still fairly easy to confuse them with others, least of all being a generic unknown woodshop from somewhere like China - which doesn't mean it is a bad deck - just that the quality is unknown.

I keep thinking I should even do something to show different concaves, but unless you have a good close up of just the right angle, it is almost impossible to determine unless you can stand on it too.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1056
« Reply #223 on: May 28, 2021, 08:06:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My first ccs custom was prime. It had the prime logo on engraved on top. My last 2 had no distinguishable markings on them. Expect the to notch. I know it’s not woodchuck. Ive use woodchuck for my brand and they feel different.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #224 on: May 28, 2021, 09:26:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is there a clutch chart where it says the wheel bases for the size and shape? I know on their site like it has width and lengths but not the wheel bases. I saw some k shapes and was curious on what the wheel bases would be on 8.5 K and O shape
[close]

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=116070.msg3558270;topicseen#msg3558270

[close]

Here's a 2019 spec list I got from one of their reps. Should still be the same dimensions? I think they're only doing K and O shaped boards at the moment. 

I have a current K8 8.375 that has a 14.25 wheelbase- not the 14.5 in the chart

ish_wav

• Rep: 94
« Reply #225 on: May 28, 2021, 11:57:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah the dot is fairly common across a lot of woodshops, which is the easiest way to make sure the board is the right way round (almost always at the front) but I think the best way is put it side on and check the concave against some others, because the feel of the concave is the best tell for me.

Unless you have one or more of each major woodshop, it is still fairly easy to confuse them with others, least of all being a generic unknown woodshop from somewhere like China - which doesn't mean it is a bad deck - just that the quality is unknown.

I keep thinking I should even do something to show different concaves, but unless you have a good close up of just the right angle, it is almost impossible to determine unless you can stand on it too.

Woodchuck has a single shape (as far as my email inquiries have told me) and I had kept a Woodchuck 8 1/8 deck for a while to compare with but I recently got rid of it. This CCS deck has a 14 1/4 wheelbase like the woodchuck decks so that was why I thought it was that. It could definitely be prime though. I’ve never had a prime deck so I have nothing to compare to

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #226 on: May 29, 2021, 05:02:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Woodchuck has a single shape (as far as my email inquiries have told me) and I had kept a Woodchuck 8 1/8 deck for a while to compare with but I recently got rid of it. This CCS deck has a 14 1/4 wheelbase like the woodchuck decks so that was why I thought it was that. It could definitely be prime though. I’ve never had a prime deck so I have nothing to compare to

Looking at CCS those boards could be from any woodshop, including generic China decks, so nothing from that stands out as any one board apart from the fact that there are no identifying marks which means it is most likely not going to be BBS, PS Stix, Clutch, Dwindle.

I did think generic Generator / BBS with the dot, but the concave looks like it is different from those pics anyway.  Pics are not a good way to tell though.

A couple of online reviews show a plain / natural bottom ply and fairly long flat / steep kicks, which could also be different from then to now too.

https://shop.ccs.com/ccs-logo-skateboard-deck-blue

https://cdn.ccs.com/media/catalog/product/cache/4/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/l/blueccs-4_1.1517622394.jpg

https://cdn.ccs.com/media/catalog/product/cache/4/image/x550/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/b/l/blueccs-6_1.1517622394.jpg

https://cdn.ccs.com/media/catalog/product/cache/4/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/l/blueccs-5_1.1517622394.jpg

https://cdn.ccs.com/media/catalog/product/cache/4/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/l/blueccs-3_1.1517622394.jpg

« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 05:19:15 AM by Mbrimson88 »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #227 on: May 29, 2021, 05:52:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I have a current K8 8.375 that has a 14.25 wheelbase- not the 14.5 in the chart
Same here
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

ManimalChin

• Rep: 22
« Reply #228 on: May 29, 2021, 11:53:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The dot is what many of the China woodshops use. It's simply meant to easily distinguish nose from tail.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #229 on: May 31, 2021, 02:25:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Prime often has the size and mold (usually U5) stamped between the back truck bolt holes on the top ply as well. As others have already said the divot is just an alignment mark. PGI boards have it a lot of the time and I've even seen them put one there in sharpie if it's not stamped in so they don't apply the graphic upside down.

@Mbrimson88 you might as well delete the Quincy section. They've been out of business since before the pandemic. For the companies listed under it Lurkville is clutch, space program was generator last I saw, TOPX has been exclusively generator for some time now (last 3-4 runs), and I don't even know if folklore project exists anymore. It seems like they just kind of release the reissue/tribute graphics as stereo which I believe is clutch (same distro as lurkville)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #230 on: May 31, 2021, 07:14:38 AM »
@Mbrimson88 you might as well delete the Quincy section. They've been out of business since before the pandemic. For the companies listed under it Lurkville is clutch, space program was generator last I saw, TOPX has been exclusively generator for some time now (last 3-4 runs), and I don't even know if folklore project exists anymore. It seems like they just kind of release the reissue/tribute graphics as stereo which I believe is clutch (same distro as lurkville)

Updated - Thanks again for info!

Not sure if I had posted this but from looking at some recent shops, I noticed the following, some info old, some new:

All Plan B are on extremely flat (almost weird) concaves with minimal angle to the kicks, which I had not seen before, so not sure if it is a specific concave or a standard line from a specific woodshop (no other markings on the decks).

Zero, Toy Machine and a few other team and pro latest releases here are on decks with no other identifying marks, only the "Made in China" sticker with size info, which seems different from the last lot I saw, but no idea what woodshop they are from.  I also think they might be licensed out here (just like some clothing brands), so same graphics, but just where ever they want to get the wood, at least much more so than the pro wood in US or other places.

A few smaller local brands are now on what also seems like generic wood, similar shape, steeper feel of concave and minimal or no identifying marks, so again probably from China.

Some BBS / DLX boards have the I to IV stamp and some do not as well as more weird dimensions / steeper concaves from the most recent drops I saw and stood on.

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #231 on: May 31, 2021, 07:24:32 AM »
Chapmen is still in business. I just ordered one

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Carter

• Rep: -1
« Reply #232 on: May 31, 2021, 07:32:30 AM »
I know its been mentioned pages and pages back but anyone have leads on a 8.25 shape 14 wb or less and shorter than 31.5 and a full nose? looks like weekend changed their CT shape which is a bummer I have one left and a business and company back up that I believe is 31.37 length.

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #233 on: May 31, 2021, 08:28:13 AM »
Man, it must suck to ride for Toy/Foundation when it comes to the boards - they change every time they get a batch made. No consistency. I don't think I've ever seen a brand switch wood so much. We just got a massive amount of Tum Yeto decks and they're all pressed at some new China place. Funny thing is they seem nicer than most of the other places they got their decks made, and now the price point decks seem a lot nicer because they're made there too. The price points feel just like the pro decks. The shapes aren't great but also not horrible. Seems like the same shape for every deck in every size. Laser engraved logo and width on top.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 573
« Reply #234 on: May 31, 2021, 10:12:31 AM »
I know its been mentioned pages and pages back but anyone have leads on a 8.25 shape 14 wb or less and shorter than 31.5 and a full nose? looks like weekend changed their CT shape which is a bummer I have one left and a business and company back up that I believe is 31.37 length.

Closest I can think of are DLX 8.12. I think they’re 8.12x31.3x14wb. Crail makes 8.25 with a 14wb but they’re definitely longer than 31.5

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #235 on: May 31, 2021, 02:16:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The last BBS I bought was a real oval or one of the mason 8.28 (with the gonz art), both around the same time. Neither has felt any different to me but I haven't really skated the oval much (8.12 x 31.38 shape.. it's good but I just haven't really been into smaller decks at the moment). I would guess they were manufactured in the last part of 2020 or very early 2021.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks. I'm looking around for those decks but all the ones I've been able to find pics of have been the usual tops, no PS stickers spotted other than the Jeron. I want to try one of these but I'd really prefer to find another graphic. I'm not sure if my hairy white ass can get away with toting a black power fist deck around at work. I guess the trucks will cover a bit of it and I could sticker it up if need be, but I'd really prefer a classic 93 til or something like that.

Don't worry, it was the red fist before blm adopted it.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #236 on: May 31, 2021, 04:31:37 PM »

I don't know if they actually changed the CT shape, the nose/tail lengths and wheelbase listed are all the same. I think they might have either copied it over from the 8.125 and forgot to change the length or they may have just measured it with the concave for some reason (31.63 with concave would work out to around 31.25 tip to tip).

That being said,

Blood wizard 8.25 is 31.6 14wb. Full nose but flat and mellow concave so if you're a steep deck kinda guy you might not like it.

Girl/Chocolate G018 (yonnie shape) is 8.18 x 31.5 14wb. Some places list it as 8.12 x 31.3 for some reason, but its 8.18 x 31.5 and honestly feels like its about the same size as the WKND ct. There's also some other 14wb 8.25 but they're a bit longer.

Orchard Shop decks/Project Asteroid (Robbie Gangemi presses them)  8.25 M1 are 31.5 and 14wb. Not really a full nose though, more of a classic popsicle shape.

I'm missing a bunch, but those are the ones that came to mind right this second.

edit: @Carter I thought of another one.... the new Evisen decks are short and 14"wb... they do 2 concaves (deep and mellow) so you may want to check their catalog to see which graphic is on what. I've seen them listed as anywhere from 31.1-31.4 length, so probably 31.25 is what they're supposed to be. Again these are more of a classic tapered popsicle shape, so not necessarily "full nose" but everything else fits. DSM wood so epoxy glue meaning stiff and a little heavy at first, also the mellow ones are flat but the kicks are maybe slightly more on the medium side of mellow.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 04:01:21 PM by Buttfart Rapedick »

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #237 on: May 31, 2021, 04:38:05 PM »
Man, it must suck to ride for Toy/Foundation when it comes to the boards - they change every time they get a batch made. No consistency. I don't think I've ever seen a brand switch wood so much. We just got a massive amount of Tum Yeto decks and they're all pressed at some new China place. Funny thing is they seem nicer than most of the other places they got their decks made, and now the price point decks seem a lot nicer because they're made there too. The price points feel just like the pro decks. The shapes aren't great but also not horrible. Seems like the same shape for every deck in every size. Laser engraved logo and width on top.

I'm sure the riders get whatever wood and shape they want. Unfortunately for the rest of us they move an absolute shit ton of boards so they have to just get them wherever they can and in the pandemic world that means multiple places. They do seem to be getting more PS wood in the rotation now as production starts to ramp up down there again, but they (and everyone else) have a huge backlog of orders so this is the way it has to be right now. The china decks I think are either DSM or PGI/Girl wood. Haven't actually had my hands on one to get nerdy on and see if I can mold match it, but the big china shops have pretty much caught up to (and in some ways surpassed) NA wood so the boards are probably pretty solid.

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #238 on: May 31, 2021, 05:58:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm sure the riders get whatever wood and shape they want.

I doubt it, honestly. I’ve been to Tum Yeto when riders were there grabbing boards from the same stacks as retail gets. There have been riders for certain brands in the past that got the same graphics on custom wood for themselves, but it was rare and the current situation with wood shops makes that much less likely. I’ve noticed a lot of people seem to think pros use different gear than the normal stuff we all buy, but for the most part they just walk in the warehouse and grab decks or their TM grabs them decks from the regular stock. I’ve personally sent out countless promo packages that confirm this.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #239 on: May 31, 2021, 07:30:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm sure the riders get whatever wood and shape they want.
[close]

I doubt it, honestly. I’ve been to Tum Yeto when riders were there grabbing boards from the same stacks as retail gets. There have been riders for certain brands in the past that got the same graphics on custom wood for themselves, but it was rare and the current situation with wood shops makes that much less likely. I’ve noticed a lot of people seem to think pros use different gear than the normal stuff we all buy, but for the most part they just walk in the warehouse and grab decks or their TM grabs them decks from the regular stock. I’ve personally sent out countless promo packages that confirm this.

It is a funny one, where some brands are really proud of saying "Our pro team ride the same wood that we sell" like DLX for starters, but I definitely know other brands have had whatever for customers and specials for the team guys over the years, be it from top level brands or from whoever.  I recall seeing that Element spreadsheet where team riders were on specific wood shapes and sizes from half a dozen different woodshops according to their tastes, or the time I saw (and bought) a few decks from another touring pro when in Australia and the boards were absolutely nothing like what they sold in the shop, all pre gripped and shrink wrapped ready for him to ride, but he needed weed / beer money and being the shop guy I was happy to help.

I don't doubt there have been some funny things going on over the years, but right now it seems there are more issues than not, as mentioned with shortages and everything else going on.