Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 210905 times)

Woodshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
So I made this more for myself than anything, but I put all of the information into a Google sheet.  You can view it below, and you can put temporary filters on it to sort by brand, year, country, whatever you want.  I'll try to keep it updated with this thread.

I also am going to put as much info as I can about trucks in the workbook, but the information I'd really like to put in there, kingpin and pivot angles, seems to be very hard to find.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10zsYuMXjvnG-hhTFbpqKn8AWOo4by1tSzZLfhQ-sleQ/edit?usp=sharing

It took me a minute to come back to some posts, but on looking over the spreadsheet, that is amazing!!!!

I still haven't gone through all of it, but I will make time to check it out and compare it to the Slap list.

Great work!

Bold

• Rep: 40
On the subject of driving over boards,

OH gawd that made me cringe, lol.

Man, unless you can't find a board that you like I still hate the idea of stressing the deck that way. It will never be an issue for me as I don't push decks that hard.

I also find it funny that people want MORE mellow kicks as I prefer medium/steep. Anyway, good stuff, always appreciate your input.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
On the subject of driving over boards,
[close]

OH gawd that made me cringe, lol.

Man, unless you can't find a board that you like I still hate the idea of stressing the deck that way. It will never be an issue for me as I don't push decks that hard.

I also find it funny that people want MORE mellow kicks as I prefer medium/steep. Anyway, good stuff, always appreciate your input.

Ha yeah, there are some crazy things out there that make me think "No that CANNOT possibly work" and I am pretty old and set in my ways, but especially now with more time on my hands due to covid lockdowns and minimal goings on, it has given me a bit more time to explore these weird and wonderful things, some with surprising results, but other things are still just a straight up NO after the experiment too - not going to go into details for those ones though.

From breaking ankles, front foot once, back twice way back in the late 80s and early 90s, I have found in later life I have to have more mellow kicks, especially a mellow tail otherwise I cannot easily walk, let alone skate much after a solid session.  That does suck in itself, but not being able to skate at all sucks more, so I have adapted my board to accommodate my needs, thankfully the IV works, but most others I have parked on to mellow out have also turned otherwise regular / steep kicks into more mellow ones, which means if I cannot get my hands on a IV in the right size, I have other options too.

One other thing that makes it a plus is not necessarily flattening the deck permanently but flexing it helps it to not break as easily with heavy or hard landings on the kicks too.  It gives just that little bit more compared to some decks that are so crispy and stiff they crack or break outright.

Just an observation with driven over decks, but I would definitely not recommend people do that before setting up any or every board they skate.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
"Chico Stix"

https://www.chicobrenes.com

Chico coming out with a line of shaped boards

Defo grabbing one
pressed by bbs

From the Chico Stix thread

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=118285.0

I know I often miss the instagram stories but saw these so took a snap of them for anyone who didn't see it.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 635
    • a short part avatar image
My ankle still feels like shit and I fell down a slight rabbit hole last night and measured all my decks.

Every DLX and Darkroom 8.25 x 32 are a bit shorter, which I really appreciate. More like 31.875 length and 8.28 width.

The Polar 8.25 x 31.875 is spot on and has longer kicks as the DLX decks, due to the shorter wheelbase.

The AWS with the regrowth stamp/etching on top is also a 8.25 but with a 32.25 length, which feels really long for me. And also longer kicks, which is nice.

Thanks for listening to the madness.
IG: @flowterspace

Loki700

• Rep: 78
Expand Quote
So I made this more for myself than anything, but I put all of the information into a Google sheet.  You can view it below, and you can put temporary filters on it to sort by brand, year, country, whatever you want.  I'll try to keep it updated with this thread.

I also am going to put as much info as I can about trucks in the workbook, but the information I'd really like to put in there, kingpin and pivot angles, seems to be very hard to find.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10zsYuMXjvnG-hhTFbpqKn8AWOo4by1tSzZLfhQ-sleQ/edit?usp=sharing
[close]

It took me a minute to come back to some posts, but on looking over the spreadsheet, that is amazing!!!!

I still haven't gone through all of it, but I will make time to check it out and compare it to the Slap list.

Great work!
Thanks! I’m also open to making it a collaborative workbook between select people if they’re interested.

Also, if anyone can think of other information to add to the workbook/worksheet let me know.  I considered wheels and bearings but those seem pretty self explanatory and like it wouldn’t be beneficial.  Putting deck specifics I think is getting granular to the point of being useless. 
teslas are the longboards of automobiles

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Great work!
[close]
Thanks! I’m also open to making it a collaborative workbook between select people if they’re interested.

That is the main reason I created "Woodshop" as a separate account, so in the event I was done or could not post, I would let others use it to update the thread.

Past woodshop threads had been good, but then when the person who created the list stopped using Slap for whatever reason, the list would not be updated so a new thread had to be created.

There is some great info on the older threads, which are all linked from the first page, first post too.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1050
  • Just another skate shop guy
Just bought a Meow for my daughter from Tactics. It is DSM.

Thanks!

Updated the list. 

Interesting as it was listed as PS Stix, so I wonder if the listing was not accurate, or they changed.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
My ankle still feels like shit and I fell down a slight rabbit hole last night and measured all my decks.

Every DLX and Darkroom 8.25 x 32 are a bit shorter, which I really appreciate. More like 31.875 length and 8.28 width.

The Polar 8.25 x 31.875 is spot on and has longer kicks as the DLX decks, due to the shorter wheelbase.

The AWS with the regrowth stamp/etching on top is also a 8.25 but with a 32.25 length, which feels really long for me. And also longer kicks, which is nice.

Thanks for listening to the madness.

That is rad though, as little things like that really matter.

I have always thought it interesting that DLX has the 8.25 x 32 but many other brands have slightly shorter (and some longer) 8.25 size boards, as the 31.85 length is fairly common with a 14.25 wb for many other brands.

Curious too that some measure with the concave and others measure straight across, even within the same certain woodshops.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal

Anyone have any other smaller brands, new up and comers or any that are not on the list, please let me know so I can add any others to make the list more complete.

I just added Japan National to the list.

A company from a rad guy Marty Baptist from Australia.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
Would anyone happen to know if Pennswood is still producing boards? Fuck Yinz and Scum co logo boards are out of stock everywhere besides American Nomad and they have uh... unconventional shapes. I DMed Pennswood on Insta and haven't heard back.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

FrozenIndustries

Would anyone happen to know if Pennswood is still producing boards? Fuck Yinz and Scum co logo boards are out of stock everywhere besides American Nomad and they have uh... unconventional shapes. I DMed Pennswood on Insta and haven't heard back.

Pretty sure they still do Spectrum.

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

I'mma go check Spectrum out right now. Thank you!  ;D

Edit: They have one board in stock and it's tiny. Thank you for the heads up though!

FrozenIndustries

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Edit: They have one board in stock and it's tiny. Thank you for the heads up though!

Kinetic/Noc have them in a few sizes! They pretty much always get a full run.

https://kineticskateboarding.com/products/spectrum-character-deck?_pos=6&_sid=b8a725eec&_ss=r

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

https://kineticskateboarding.com/products/spectrum-character-deck?_pos=6&_sid=b8a725eec&_ss=r

Sweet! an 8.5 Thank you man! I appreciate it!  ;D ;D ;D

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1131

Anyone have any other smaller brands, new up and comers or any that are not on the list, please let me know so I can add any others to make the list more complete.

What woodshop?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 12:06:21 PM by TwisT »

asbestos

• Rep: 11
anyone know where "Top Shelf" blanks are being made? skating one right now and it's not bad at all. they are in Canada through ultimate dist, and have the single dot imprinted on the top ply near the nose.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
anyone know where "Top Shelf" blanks are being made? skating one right now and it's not bad at all. they are in Canada through ultimate dist, and have the single dot imprinted on the top ply near the nose.
they are made in china but not dwindle.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

[close]

What woodshop?

He said BBS and Clutch are the two he uses.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
Expand Quote
Just bought a Meow for my daughter from Tactics. It is DSM.
[close]

Thanks!

Updated the list. 

Interesting as it was listed as PS Stix, so I wonder if the listing was not accurate, or they changed.

Top photo from Skatewarehouse showed a PS Stix serial number, so it’s a recent change or multiple woodshop deal.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

What woodshop?
[close]

He said BBS and Clutch are the two he uses.

8) right. Oh well. Either way, boards look good, but not good enough to warrant getting one shipped back to the USA

LE_rik

• Rep: 4
Anyone can confirm that every krooked deck is made by bbs? I just ordered one with that in mind
Thank You guys

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Anyone can confirm that every krooked deck is made by bbs? I just ordered one with that in mind
Thank You guys

That would be a very firm "Yes" with all normal DLX decks (popsicles and shaped boards) being made there for as long as I can remember. *

* Completes are made in China and those Evil Beamer specials were a specific small woodshop, but they don't really count.

LE_rik

• Rep: 4
Expand Quote
Thank You guys
[close]

That would be a very firm "Yes" with all normal DLX decks (popsicles and shaped boards) being made there for as long as I can remember. *

* Completes are made in China and those Evil Beamer specials were a specific small woodshop, but they don't really count.

Thanks a lot bro - that was the answer I was looking for. With all the pandemic Mixing up Woodshops kinda thing I was a bit worried.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
Not that anyone cares but me

MoMA/TheSkateRoom use Control as noted by the Made in Canada stickers they use.

I'm always checking in in hopes that they'll randomly have a sale, but they never do.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thank You guys
[close]

[close]

Thanks a lot bro - that was the answer I was looking for. With all the pandemic Mixing up Woodshops kinda thing I was a bit worried.

I can totally understand where you are coming from.

When I find something I like, I try to get as many as I can just so if something happens in the future or it changes, I still have the exact thing I like, rather than having to change or be without when this one is gone.

The funny thing is almost all the current top tier brands are still with their pre pandemic suppliers, but more of the smaller or lesser produced brands and even some of the mid range / fairly well established brands that were on the decline are now having to source whatever they can get, which has caused more than a few changes, along with a few unhappy customers.

Even some smaller woodshops are struggling to source raw materials, which pretty much means their business is down the drain until they can get more.

The flow on effect is still pretty savage, even if the bigger woodshops and brands are seemingly back up to full production now.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Not that anyone cares but me

MoMA/TheSkateRoom use Control as noted by the Made in Canada stickers they use.

I'm always checking in in hopes that they'll randomly have a sale, but they never do.

Always interesting!!!

Are they the backs of these decks, from this Instagram post?

Magnolia

• Rep: 464
  • She/They
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Do pennswood 8.5s still have a 14" wheelbase? I think I had a scumco deck with those dimensions once
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Do pennswood 8.5s still have a 14" wheelbase? I think I had a scumco deck with those dimensions once

Been looking around and cannot find much info, with one site saying they had 14.25 wb on the team logo decks, but the best link might be this one:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=115328.msg3494868#msg3494868

A post from @off a few months back in the WBSWB thread

scumco deep dish 8.5/31.5/14wb

It would seem that there are not many Pennswood decks still around, that one above and a few others I could find.

https://scumcoandsons.com/collections/shop/products/logoboard?variant=31852256297096

Says wheelbase is 14.25 so you could hit them up and ask.

https://shop.atlasskateboarding.com/search?q=spectrum

Some in 8.5 there too. No mention of wheelbase.

**** Note:  The hardest part about looking up Scumco decks is most are on PS Stix (which also have the 8.5 x 31.5 with 14 wb in case you were wondering), with not many / the only one being the team oval logo on Pennswood, going by either the pics or what the listing has in the description, otherwise there would have been a lot more to add to this.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 04:53:07 AM by Woodshop »

El Freegano

• Rep: 219
I asked Cleaver skateboards what factory they use (bbs or ps) and recieved a message that they make the boards at the same factory as Skate Mental. Not a clear answer as i see here is written Skate Mental used PS before and now 2021 they use Clutch.