Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 210883 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1050
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
I asked Cleaver skateboards what factory they use (bbs or ps) and recieved a message that they make the boards at the same factory as Skate Mental. Not a clear answer as i see here is written Skate Mental used PS before and now 2021 they use Clutch.

I would say they are now on Clutch, most likely because Clutch supplies more to South America and Cleaver is a smaller brand, which makes sense.

The "same as Skate Mental" now being on Clutch, or at least has for a minute is the most likely answer too, as BBS seems to still be very much the big brand supplier and the only other option being PS Stix seems flat out and unlikely to be supplying wood to a smaller brand from down south.

Woodshop list now updated with a few other brands too - quite a few smaller brands who had information on woodshop or answered questions, but funny that some still will not give a straight answer.

When looking through some shop lists, there are so many brands I have never heard of, some of whom have been around for a while, going by their instagram posts, etc.

Always happy to have any other info to make the list more complete.

Thanks to any and all who contribute - it is much appreciated!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
I'm skating for the first time in years a HLC board, after skating pretty much only BBS, and I'm super happy. Board feels great and since HLC boards are way cheaper in here I'll stick to them probably.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

christ0v

• Rep: 15
I'm skating for the first time in years a HLC board, after skating pretty much only BBS, and I'm super happy. Board feels great and since HLC boards are way cheaper in here I'll stick to them probably.
Which brand are you skating as there seems to be different tiers of quality with HLC ?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info

Also curious about brand, concave and anything else, including differences or similarities with kicks to BBS.

One guy I know said he has HLC wood and that it is the absolute flattest thing ever, which seems weird from looking at all the HLC boards and concaves online, including their own site.

They appear closest to Dwindle but looks can be totally off with things like this.

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
SO, I went for a PS Stix - GX1000 as I was chasing that Hockey/FA shape. Full Nose.

First 2 weeks - great deck
One day after two weeks - Horrible

It is true what they say about PS Stix, last 2 weeks goes soggy af and dead. Also the only board I had that got major as chipping and seperation on the nose ( flatground and some ledge work )

If I got money to burn i'll buy a PS Stix, but really would like that full shape with a longer lasting deck.
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 665
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
Expand Quote
[close]
Which brand are you skating as there seems to be different tiers of quality with HLC ?

no different tiers of quality at HLC
They are all pressed the same way and they are great

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

Also curious about brand, concave and anything else, including differences or similarities with kicks to BBS.

One guy I know said he has HLC wood and that it is the absolute flattest thing ever, which seems weird from looking at all the HLC boards and concaves online, including their own site.

They appear closest to Dwindle but looks can be totally off with things like this.

it's wrong for the flat part

Quality wise the boards are almost as good as BBS imo
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 05:18:48 AM by BALARGUE »

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
SO, I went for a PS Stix - GX1000 as I was chasing that Hockey/FA shape. Full Nose.

First 2 weeks - great deck
One day after two weeks - Horrible

It is true what they say about PS Stix, last 2 weeks goes soggy af and dead. Also the only board I had that got major as chipping and seperation on the nose ( flatground and some ledge work )

If I got money to burn i'll buy a PS Stix, but really would like that full shape with a longer lasting deck.

GO for BBS
Hockey / FA (love them because they are short)
Real FULL SE maybe

you can sometimes have a lasting PS Stix deck though (i had a Quasi and a GX1000 that were great)

So glad Hockey/FA moved to BBS

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
Skating an HLC board and I'm loving it, thing is that my local has Sour on sale and some are "S1" and others "S4". Any idea about the differences?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Skating an HLC board and I'm loving it, thing is that my local has Sour on sale and some are "S1" and others "S4". Any idea about the differences?
this is taken from different decks on their webstore, looks like different shapes/caves:
S1 Low Concave
S1 Medium Low Concave
S1 Medium Concave
Medium Concave
Deeper Concave
Shape S4 Low Concave
S4 Low Concave

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
I made it into the new local Fasttimes store (Brisbane, Australia) and had a good look at a lot of the new boards in.

Maxallure is on Clutch (letter / number stamp on top).

Zero pro board looks like Dwindle / similar woodshop with "Made in China" but no other identifying markings, but seemed to have the same concave and look as both the Zero team boards, the Toy Machine and Foundation team boards and one Girl board, so they could all be from Dalian Hauhong.

Uma was also on the other wood, with the "Made in China" sticker on the decks (previously had seen BBS)

Sci Fi Fantasy had the Generator sticker over the shrink, which is a bit odd (usually on the deck itself) but still looked normal / single dimple in the front bolts area.

Huf was Clutch.

There was more, but I just cannot remember the rest right now.

Added:

Doom Sayers was not BBS or PS Stix from the markings and concave and might have had a "Made in China" sticker too, but I just cannot recall.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 06:39:52 AM by Woodshop »

El Chupacabra

• Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
Newest run of Uma are Bareback (at least the ones I got) They have the little holograph sticker.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Newest run of Uma are Bareback (at least the ones I got) They have the little holograph sticker.

That's the weird thing, because the first lot I had seen here were definitely BBS.

Then someone else was saying the one they had in EU was not BBS, as per a page or so back, now these ones here were not, so I am wondering if it is more an ongoing thing, where USA has more BBS and EU, Asia, AU etc will have more wood from China in the future.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
The newest run of Rowley's Free Dome decks are all on Clutch K shapes and not PS Stix like the other runs
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 174
  • GTU/FWD

Anyone have any other smaller brands, new up and comers or any that are not on the list, please let me know so I can add any others to make the list more complete.

I just added Japan National to the list.

A company from a rad guy Marty Baptist from Australia.

My small brand, Fortress, uses AD. Really digging these boards. I’ll have this new run on my website soon.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1050
  • Just another skate shop guy

My small brand, Fortress, uses AD. Really digging these boards. I’ll have this new run on my website soon.

Yeah, rad!

I updated the list with everything from this page now.

Not sure as Fortress was already on the list under Clutch, so should that just be removed or was that round # 1 or unknown / other company maybe?

** Just checked your instagram and the Bound (boobs) board looks like it is on clutch, so all good there.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 03:50:36 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 174
  • GTU/FWD
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, rad!

I updated the list with everything from this page now.

Not sure as Fortress was already on the list under Clutch, so should that just be removed or was that round # 1 or unknown / other company maybe?

** Just checked your instagram and the Bound (boobs) board looks like it is on clutch, so all good there.
Yep. First run was Clutch. I’m going to try and stick with AD moving forward.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
    • Instagram avatar image
Expand Quote
[close]
That's the weird thing, because the first lot I had seen here were definitely BBS.
Bareback = BBS

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Bareback = BBS

Ha yes...

Woodshop = skate shop guy

But I have even had to clarify BBS / Generator more times that I would have thought too, as people had thought they were two separate woodshops.

What I was meaning though is at the moment people are finding the made in China Uma decks in a few places (Europe, Australia, etc), but initially all the Uma decks including the first drop that came out here too had the made in Mexico sticker and from the feel of standing on them, were definitely BBS (Bareback)  :)

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
I'm skating a Baker board for the first time in ages. Figgy logo board. Its shit. Pop feels dead.
I guess its true that DLX gets the best tier wood, even tho all BBS should have same wood.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
    • Fotos avatar image
I'm skating a Baker board for the first time in ages. Figgy logo board. Its shit. Pop feels dead.
I guess its true that DLX gets the best tier wood, even tho all BBS should have same wood.

My last real decks varied greatly in quality. They were either great or fell apart quickly. Many of my friends skate real decks and have had the same experience. A friend broke two brand new real decks in three Sessions!

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
So covid is effecting quality

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

There are always going to be those certain issues, depending on shelf life, storage, even delivery if you didn't buy it off the  wall of a skate shop.

Just curious where you got the deck?

There are a lot of fake Baker decks out and around, even popping up in "real skate shops" from some posts I have seen on Instagram too, which people have been easily tricked with lately.

My last real decks varied greatly in quality. They were either great or fell apart quickly. Many of my friends skate real decks and have had the same experience. A friend broke two brand new real decks in three Sessions!

As to the overall quality of boards, there would seem to be some overall issues with some boards more so after covid than before, be it not enough time to cure before being sent out, or who knows what else, but for any board breakages, the first thing I would check is how the board was broken - no matter what brand of deck, (even carbon fibre) if the landing is heavy and not over bolts, that thing is not going to last.

How were the boards broken, eg through the bolts, snapped tail / nose off, through the middle?

I do know some people have kept them, sent them back or even taken pictures and been nice about it, to which they were sent another deck, but if there are clear marks of being focused to bits after cracking, there is nothing anyone can do.

MusclesMarinara

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
So I came across some Flip boards made by HLC and was thinking of pulling the trigger on them. I've seen posts that described HLC close to BBS and as the posters above said, BBS has been hit or miss for me as well.

Anyone with more insight/experience with recent HLC decks would be appreciated!
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
So I came across some Flip boards made by HLC and was thinking of pulling the trigger on them. I've seen posts that described HLC close to BBS and as the posters above said, BBS has been hit or miss for me as well.

Anyone with more insight/experience with recent HLC decks would be appreciated!
I'm currently skating a sovrn board, which is HLC, and I'm loving it. I liked it so much that I got a Sour straight away to skate after.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
Can anyone confirm that Habitat is on BBS and they are a sister to AWS right? If that's the case, is the shape fuller like and AWS?
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Can anyone confirm that Habitat is on BBS and they are a sister to AWS right? If that's the case, is the shape fuller like and AWS?

Yes, both BBS wood and same everything, from the last lot I saw not too long ago.

You can compare them on their respective websites too:

https://www.alienworkshop.com/

https://habitatskateboards.com/

This was your board size wasn't it?

Dimensions
8.25 X 32.25 WB 14.25

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rep: 239
Saw some Terror of Planet X TOPX decks with a made in Canada sticker. Switched to Control?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Saw some Terror of Planet X TOPX decks with a made in Canada sticker. Switched to Control?

Maybe another smaller company being squeezed out of supply from BBS, so smaller woodshops picking up some more customers.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 05:56:57 PM by Woodshop »

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

OK Boomer just got one from Kinetic shop, as per this post:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=82832.msg3635697#msg3635697

From the Skate Shit you've Bought Recently thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=82832.6930

Found this post from Uprise shop that has the third pic with top shots, so not sure if the red maple leaf on black background is just a sticker by an unknown woodshop, or if it is from Control, as I thought they had red leaf on white sticker previously. 

***  I know there are not many woodshops in Canada, but just wanted to make sure.