Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2021 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 207153 times)

disappointed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 100
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Is there a thread or some details on smaller independent brands somewhere?
I like to support smaller brands often like Stoned, Felas, various British brands etc. A lot of the brands on this list are fairly well established. I'm looking for small brands to support and wondering where they're made.

I’ve never heard of Stoned or Fellas - so i looked em up on IG. Stoned looks to have there “420 lifestyle” brand established, not my thing but kinda sick - I DM’d them (like a man 8)) so maybe we’ll find out what wood.

Fellas seems small and pretty niche in Prague (300 followers on IG) and they haven’t posted in a month, and it’s all in Czech through their eshop. That’s in the too hard basket for me, but good luck finding out more with that one. Or is there a different Felas you a referring to?

What various british brands are you hyped on? I’m curious to know what’s out there too.

DaveRichardson

• Rep: -4
Expand Quote
I like to support smaller brands often like Stoned, Felas, various British brands etc. A lot of the brands on this list are fairly well established. I'm looking for small brands to support and wondering where they're made.
[close]

I’ve never heard of Stoned or Fellas - so i looked em up on IG. Stoned looks to have there “420 lifestyle” brand established, not my thing but kinda sick - I DM’d them (like a man 8)) so maybe we’ll find out what wood.

Fellas seems small and pretty niche in Prague (300 followers on IG) and they haven’t posted in a month, and it’s all in Czech through their eshop. That’s in the too hard basket for me, but good luck finding out more with that one. Or is there a different Felas you a referring to?

What various british brands are you hyped on? I’m curious to know what’s out there too.

Thanks! I actually messaged both brands and neither responded, but I've had two stoned boards and I love them! I think they are BBS. I vaguely know a guy in Barcelona who used to ride for them, and he said it's similar to who he rides for now (DGK) soooo probably is BBS. Doesn't feel like Dwindle. The Stoned boards are very solid.
I haven't ridden the Felas yet but i imagine they're HLC or Dwindle.

I used to be hyped on Descent boards, made by Chris Pulman. They were made at Dwindle but had some good shapes and were snappy. He has closed the business now and has a pro board on Heroin instead. He is the nicest skater I've ever met, skated with him twice.
I also used to love Ekta, Milk and Landscape. Milk were very good, may have been chapman but not sure. Ekta was BBS I believe as I met the guy who made them and he was also distributing Killing Floor boards. Just speculation still though

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
how those are never for sale on their website is beyond me
just take my money already

Looks like your prayers were answered.  Just checked instagram and they posted that they've got some up on their store now.   (Pennswood Marbled Blanks)
https://pennswood.myshopify.com/collections/drip

Get hungry on it!

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1073
so does the hydrodip process effect the wood? I'm assuming the process pennswood did was not the youtube process of spray paint in in a tub of water

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
so does the hydrodip process effect the wood? I'm assuming the process pennswood did was not the youtube process of spray paint in in a tub of water

I had seen a video or two of it.

A big barrel that the boards are completely submerged in for a second or two.

Never the same one twice.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
sadly there was only one 8.5/14wb deck in the whole drop
sold out already >:(
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
sadly there was only one 8.5/14wb deck in the whole drop
sold out already >:(
they didnt ship to canada and i was at work all day. assume all gone.

disappointed

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks! I actually messaged both brands and neither responded, but I've had two stoned boards and I love them! I think they are BBS. I vaguely know a guy in Barcelona who used to ride for them, and he said it's similar to who he rides for now (DGK) soooo probably is BBS. Doesn't feel like Dwindle. The Stoned boards are very solid.

I used to be hyped on Descent boards, made by Chris Pulman. They were made at Dwindle but had some good shapes and were snappy. He has closed the business now and has a pro board on Heroin instead. He is the nicest skater I've ever met, skated with him twice.
I also used to love Ekta, Milk and Landscape. Milk were very good, may have been chapman but not sure. Ekta was BBS I believe as I met the guy who made them and he was also distributing Killing Floor boards. Just speculation still though

Nice. I didn’t know much about Chris Pulman, but after watching his smile piece, that was some real shit and instant fan. Yeah, same here I haven’t heard back from Stoned, and plenty of times brands are shifty with their wood/manufacture - and that’s a deal breaker for me. But if you get to like the shape and how skate then all power to you. Ultimately though, if a company isn’t open and honest with their product, then I’m out; I’m 100% agree with @mbrimson, so I’ll just quote him;

More often than not, anyone who is using the good wood will be quick to let you know, but I have noticed others who are using wood from an unknown woodshop (usually China) will often say something like "Our boards come from the same place as many other top brands" or similar.  In that case, I just don't buy whatever they are selling.  Pretty simple.

You seem to have a nose for tracking down these micro brands, maybe start a “micro brands that i’m stoked on” thread?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Nice. I didn’t know much about Chris Pulman, but after watching his smile piece, that was some real shit and instant fan. Yeah, same here I haven’t heard back from Stoned, and plenty of times brands are shifty with their wood/manufacture - and that’s a deal breaker for me. But if you get to like the shape and how skate then all power to you. Ultimately though, if a company isn’t open and honest with their product, then I’m out; I’m 100% agree with @mbrimson, so I’ll just quote him;

Expand Quote

More often than not, anyone who is using the good wood will be quick to let you know, but I have noticed others who are using wood from an unknown woodshop (usually China) will often say something like "Our boards come from the same place as many other top brands" or similar.  In that case, I just don't buy whatever they are selling.  Pretty simple.

[close]

You seem to have a nose for tracking down these micro brands, maybe start a “micro brands that i’m stoked on” thread?

The funny thing though, is quality of boards out of the netherworld (China I am guessing) has actually come up a lot, as per some boards I had pass through my hands a while back from a small local brand, from an unknown supplier, but none of which I had seen before - different laser size font to others, often on the bottom of the boards between the back bolts.

The people who skated them that I know were pretty much all left wanting another one, as they said they were crispy, stayed strong and outlasted other boards they had broken in the past.

Unfortunately I didn't know where they came from and the small brand apparently had a long waiting list to get more of them, which may have even been cancelled now anyway (some unknown woodshops are out of supplies indefinitely, so it seems) which is unfortunate.

The hardest thing is the unknown, especially if you cannot stand on a board, or even look at one in a shop before you buy it, even if they do list all dimensions for them, things can still turn out not so good, especially if you are used to a certain feel of wood.

disappointed

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The funny thing though, is quality of boards out of the netherworld (China I am guessing) has actually come up a lot, as per some boards I had pass through my hands a while back from a small local brand, from an unknown supplier, but none of which I had seen before - different laser size font to others, often on the bottom of the boards between the back bolts.

The people who skated them that I know were pretty much all left wanting another one, as they said they were crispy, stayed strong and outlasted other boards they had broken in the past.

Unfortunately I didn't know where they came from and the small brand apparently had a long waiting list to get more of them, which may have even been cancelled now anyway (some unknown woodshops are out of supplies indefinitely, so it seems) which is unfortunate.

The hardest thing is the unknown, especially if you cannot stand on a board, or even look at one in a shop before you buy it, even if they do list all dimensions for them, things can still turn out not so good, especially if you are used to a certain feel of wood.

Fear of the unknown 100%. Nothing sucks worse than buying a deck of a favourite brand only to find out it’s changed wood shops and you’ve got something completely different. I now really value brands that stick with the same wood to avoid this headache. And wether it’s PS or R7, I like the extra effort of putting the details on the deck so you know what your getting (of course all the companies who only use BBS - but I only really trust the ones that tell you like DLX, FA, Polar, 917 etc etc).

I’ve got zero issues with China wood, like Dwindle, but the sneaky sneaky nonsense really puts me off (looking at you Crail - even though now with shape guide/“better wood” - you lost me years ago). I even like the factory tours and stuff; George, Schmitt, Rodney etc all that stuff is gold.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Fear of the unknown 100%. Nothing sucks worse than buying a deck of a favourite brand only to find out it’s changed wood shops and you’ve got something completely different. I now really value brands that stick with the same wood to avoid this headache. And wether it’s PS or R7, I like the extra effort of putting the details on the deck so you know what your getting (of course all the companies who only use BBS - but I only really trust the ones that tell you like DLX, FA, Polar, 917 etc etc).

I’ve got zero issues with China wood, like Dwindle, but the sneaky sneaky nonsense really puts me off (looking at you Crail - even though now with shape guide/“better wood” - you lost me years ago). I even like the factory tours and stuff; George, Schmitt, Rodney etc all that stuff is gold.
[close]

I like that DSM puts the dims on the front truck mounting bolts and lists them on the website. The single deck press ensures a consistent feeling deck every time, something time-poor adults will appreciate.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Does Dwindle have any shapes close to the fuller Real/DLX/BBS shapes but not square? I can't get to a shop to see anything and the last R7 I had was a bit too tapered at the tail for my liking.

This is reviving an old question, but a friend recently skated an Almost deck that was so squared off, I had to take a few pics of it and find where people in the past had asked about a more full shaped Dwindle option.

The pics didn't really take well but I can post if anyone is interested, but here is the stock image, which still doesn't show how "full" or square the board really is for the shape of it.

This one is 8.5 x 32.1 with a 14.25 wb, which reminds me of some Alien Workshop decks I bought recently for someone else who wanted them, or of a FA board I got second hand from someone else recently too.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
https://www.instagram.com/xindaskateboardfactory/tv/CYVTqIaqT9w/?utm_medium=share_sheet

Chinese factory foxen Posted a short show room clip. I spotted a DGK and cliche

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
https://www.instagram.com/xindaskateboardfactory/tv/CYVTqIaqT9w/?utm_medium=share_sheet

Chinese factory foxen Posted a short show room clip. I spotted a DGK and cliche

On a big screen, there are a ton more than that (if not the brands, at least graphics I recognise), lots of major brands like DGK, Cliche (as you said) and others including Zero, Flip and more, but I wonder if these are boards that they have bought to show and tell with or if they are one of the suppliers of Ali Express (lots of those copied big brand names), more so than anything else.

I took a screen shot, but things just go super blurry when up too close.

Their boards look well made and they certainly seem to do enough of them.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Not jumping to conclusions but I know they are already on Alibaba / Ali Express, even saying it in this post too.

Just thought it was interesting...

Shuh

• Rep: 3
Quasi latest batch will be BBS i wonder what happened?

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
Not sure if this is the best place to ask but I'll throw it out there...

Been on the longer DLX 8.62 shape for a while and would like something a bit thinner. Is anyone currently making an 8.5 with a 14.75 (or bigger) wheelbase??

wheee!

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Not sure if this is the best place to ask but I'll throw it out there...

Been on the longer DLX 8.62 shape for a while and would like something a bit thinner. Is anyone currently making an 8.5 with a 14.75 (or bigger) wheelbase??

The last DLX 8.5 x 32.5 with 14.75 wb was a while ago, but if you were in AU I still have half a dozen, but I seem to recall seeing a new one in a catalog that just came out or might be about to come out, as I thought I hadn't seen that shape in a while now - more companies going for shorter wheelbases, rather than longer ones nowdays.

The only other BBS wood options of the same shape were from Element in a couple of runs and more recently the Evan Smith pro board from Uma Landsleds, but from both companies, their measurements are a bit here and there, often listing that particular board as 14.5 wb or their normal one as 14.75 wb when they are not, so might be best to check in person.

If you were after any woodshop, there are a couple of others that had longer wheelbases and not so wide boards, which seemed odd, but might still be around but right this minute I cannot think what they are,  or maybe even a 917 board in 8.38 (which is 1-2mm under a normal 8.5") which is also BBS.

All up the 8.6 is only a single mm or two up from the normal 8.5 boards, so there is very little actually in it, even though when I put the 8.5 and the 8.6 side by side, it looks like the 8.6 is a fair bit bigger.

With the longer wheelbase the board definitely feels way more stable, which is why people I know wanted them for bigger transition / vert ramps more than anything, but those guys don't go through boards at all quickly, so there wasn't as much interest in that 8.5 size, which might have something to do with it being left out a lot, given more of those guys prefer the 8.6 anyway.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Anyone got info on Cleaver skateboards?

Are they still Clutch or back to BBS? And what's the nose and tail like on those? Pics online looks pretty square, like a Hockey / FA.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

ratscavage

• Rep: 2
CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2022 + 

Last updated as of 7th January 2022...

Adding this: Halloween Stickers Skateboards is South Central

Lazyskater

• Rep: 5
Anyone got info on Cleaver skateboards?

Are they still Clutch or back to BBS? And what's the nose and tail like on those? Pics online looks pretty square, like a Hockey / FA.

I just got back from Barcelona and picked one up cause it was the cheapest I could find that was bbs. Good board good shape. Square nose and mellowish concave

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy

Adding this: Halloween Stickers Skateboards is South Central

Thanks!

Always cool to have some of the smaller brands / harder to get info on.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
From the other day on my travels going into a few places (AU), these stood out to me:

101 now reissued with normal boards on Dwindle, eg 8.0 and 8.25 popsicles.

Doom Sayers had a different board I don't recall seeing anywhere, no made in or warning stickers at all, fairly long flat kicks, medium to deep concave through the rail.  One board from a while back had "China" on it, not even "Made in China" which was a bit weird.

Rip N Dip decks had a "Made in USA" sticker on each of them, fairly decent concave with almost spoon shaped kicks, plain / natural ply for all layers, maybe a bit more solid in the feel of them too.

Primitive was still BBS for the boards in the shop here with Made in Mexico on the stickers.

DGK (including team flowers graphic) all as usual Made in Mexico stickers (BBS wood) - to note some DGK boards had been seen with China stickers or seemed to be in other woodshops.

Plan B boards were on two very distinctively different board shapes and feels, no other indication as to where they were made or anything like that, so unless they were from HLC with a mellow and a steep mold, I wouldn't really have any other info about them, other than they looked and felt significantly different.

Powell and Mini Logo boards both seemed flat, flexible and not particularly good boards, just holding and standing on them, so I was not at all impressed with how cheap they seem to be.  Sure I get that they might be the bottom price range, but from that example, I would not be at all interested in them.

Dwindle Globe boards, as I posted elsewhere already seemed super solid, almost thick ply layers of natural wood, but did not seem overly heavy and were very stiff, not at all flexy when I stood on them, but just seemed so very different to the other Dwindle boards in the shop, almost as if they were not from the same place, but more so they were just a different option to the other boards made by Dwindle.

Everything else I looked at and stood on was as expected, same as one the list, including Alltimers, April, 917, Alien Workshop, Baker, Deathwish, Birdhouse, Antihero, Real, Krooked, Magenta, Passport and Sci Fi Fantasy from BBS, Creature, Santa Cruz, New Deal reissues (Dwindle), GX1000, WKND, Sour, Studio, Toy Machine, Zero, and all the Dwindle brands, Almost, Enjoi, Blind, etc.

There are a few other local Aussie brands that are on wood I am not familiar with but could be similar to Zero, Toy Machine, or some of those, but I don't know the woodshop so will not say the brands by name, but they all come from the same local distributor and seem like fairly decent boards and are solid to stand on anyway.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 05:02:58 AM by Woodshop »

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
The heart supply has moved from ps sticks to dwindle

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
I was looking at a few dgk decks and noticed the mexico wood is fuller and deeper concave and noticed ones with china sticker is mellower and pointy almost like how old kayo boards used to be. The china wood reminded me of the OG shape.

foureyedjim

Quasi latest batch will be BBS i wonder what happened?

Take it with a grain of salt, but word is that PS Stix is blowing it and can't keep up.  FA switched over because PS refused to do some holographic print so FA said fucked it and moved on. 

Personally, I've tried to measure multiple Quasi boards and none of them matched up with the length that I wanted.  Seems like they're just printing graphics on whatever standard shapes they have, which is bullshit for me, who's pretty picky about my board length.  So for the time being I would be careful ordering older graphics from Quasi online.  Go to your local and measure if care to. 

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

I was looking at a few dgk decks and noticed the mexico wood is fuller and deeper concave and noticed ones with china sticker is mellower and pointy almost like how old kayo boards used to be. The china wood reminded me of the OG shape.

Thanks!

Re DGK:  I recall TwisT also saying the roses team board was from China, from a shop in the US, so I wonder how many more, whether it is just to keep up with demand or a cheaper option for team / budget boards or what with regard to the different boards.

Any difference in price, specific graphics / new ones on other wood, older ones on BBS, or even specific shop / location getting them?

Guessing both are USA.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 847

When were they PS? I remember seeing some prime ones and maybe some clutch but I would be interested in checking out a PS one

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 847
 ::)

Yeah in general if it's really flat, doesn't have any markings, and doesn't have a South Central "e mold" sticker then it's usually chinese. My theory is that when they were setting up their industry they either bought old molds or more likely just copied the molds from the 90s. PGI boards are like that too.

It does seem like we are starting to see a lot more modern style steep n spoony concave mystery wood lately so that may be changing.

Also those kayo/bbs DGK boards are deceptively pleasant. They skate mellower than they look if that makes any sense. I skated one for a month when I was deployed and thoroughly enjoyed it.

LebowskisRug

I emailed Theories and this is what they said:

We have had to use a variety of factory sources for all of our brands throughout the pandemic. Out of nowehere in April of 2020 we found out we couldn't get new BBS stock for 11 months. So it threw us into a loop trying to maintain stock for all of our brands. Currently the new Hopps and Theories seasons are BBS and they will continue to be on BBS wood through Spring and Summer of 2022. But the wood situation has been very volatile and tricky after BBS became unavailable completely for most of 2020 and into 2021. So we had to develop more diversity to protect the brands and make sure we would have a wood source no matter what happend. So there's a chance we may have to supplement our wood with another source  one season in the future for one or the other brand. But our goal is to maintain BBS as the wood source for Hopps and Theories in perpetuity.
Thanks for checking in and I hope that info helps.

So it sounds like it’s a lottery at the moment but stabilizing back to BBS