Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 91265 times)

Easy Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #390 on: September 26, 2021, 11:12:50 AM »
Anything beyond 50/50 slappies seems super scary to me.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #391 on: October 01, 2021, 09:38:13 AM »
https://imgur.com/gallery/ymO79MC
Been showing this curb a lot of love on the way home from work. I hit it with a coat of laquer and wax every sesh. The grounds pretty crusty and it’s downhill but really fun

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #392 on: October 01, 2021, 10:35:48 AM »
Repainted mine a while back. Looked good, but seemed tacky forever. Used oil based paint, maybe used too much or wrong kind. Good now though.html image hosting

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #393 on: October 01, 2021, 04:13:06 PM »

If you can slappy 50 you can slappy Smith for sure. Give it a shot it's not hard to get into but it's pretty hard to hold imo

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #394 on: October 01, 2021, 04:22:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you can slappy 50 you can slappy Smith for sure. Give it a shot it's not hard to get into but it's pretty hard to hold imo

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

On the real, I'm comfortable doing BS slappies and started trying BS 5-0 slaps. It's weird, but the mechanics aren't too far off.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #395 on: October 01, 2021, 10:25:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

On the real, I'm comfortable doing BS slappies and started trying BS 5-0 slaps. It's weird, but the mechanics aren't too far off.

I can get into slappy nosegrinds but they’re super hard to get out of for me. Slappy 5-0s scare me lol. I think 5050, 5-0, nosegrind, and smith aren’t too far removed from each other

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 216
« Reply #396 on: October 01, 2021, 10:32:30 PM »
To me feebles and hurricanes on curbs put a massive smile on my face. Simple but amazing feeling tricks. Especially if you’re going fast. Man I’ve had some gnarly slaps on the very low impact lovely addictive things

Doom patrol

• Rep: 70
« Reply #397 on: October 02, 2021, 02:31:37 AM »
My everyday spot is a low, slightly banked curb. I can do a bunch of slappy variations on it, frontside and backside and I was feeling pretty good about my slappy game.
Been staying in my wife's home town and the main spot I've been skating has a flat, tall curb. Tall enough that it's on the line between low ledge and tall curb. Turns out my slappy game isn't all that.
Been giving it a red hot crack though, backside slappy is finally getting consistent and knocked out my first frontside slappy today. Whole new ballgame off the training curbs....

Shuh

• Rep: 0
« Reply #398 on: October 02, 2021, 02:37:10 AM »
What is consensus on truck tightness? Medium or deawon loose?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 233
« Reply #399 on: October 02, 2021, 04:27:10 AM »
What is consensus on truck tightness? Medium or deawon loose?

You can slappy on either.
Super tight can help you raise your toeside or heelside wheels onto the curb. But makes carving in harder.

Loose helps the carve in, and can let the front trucks bounce up onto the curb.

Since slappies are low-impact, hug-the-ground type shit, I like the sensation of turning, carving, and slashing, so mine are on the medium loose end. 
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

streetmeat

• Rep: 169
« Reply #400 on: October 02, 2021, 04:59:26 AM »
Repainted mine a while back. Looked good, but seemed tacky forever. Used oil based paint, maybe used too much or wrong kind. Good now though.html image hosting

lordy...extend the paint job to line up with the furthest parking line and then hit a NO PARKING stencil with black paint

throwaway187

• Rep: -3
« Reply #401 on: October 02, 2021, 07:47:51 AM »
The trick, at least to frontside slappies (which i'm still not good at) is keeping you feet over the bolts.  At least it seems to help me.  And ride up to the curb at a strong degree like a 45 degree which has been discussed.

Heywood Jeblowme

• Rep: -23
« Reply #402 on: October 02, 2021, 08:06:16 AM »
The trick, at least to frontside slappies (which i'm still not good at) is keeping you feet over the bolts.  At least it seems to help me.  And ride up to the curb at a strong degree like a 45 degree which has been discussed.
Speed, 45 degree angle, if you’re going frontside your front truck does all the work. I think it was easier learning how to skate pool coping first

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #403 on: October 02, 2021, 08:46:20 AM »
OK, one more time

CUCKTARD’S ALL-INCLUSIVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR FRONTSIDE AND BACKSIDE SLAPPIES

Take photos now, or copy-paste somewhere on your phone for reference when your at your preferred slutty and slick curb.

1- HANG YOUR FEET OFF.
You are going to turn hard and help those wheels up onto the curb, so if you are going backside, hang your toes off more than usual. If your going frontside, hang your heels off.
Also, for beginners, have your front foot over the front bolts, right up against the curve of the nose.
The back foot is on wherever, but maybe not on the end of the tail. You’re not going to lift the nose.

2- GO STRAIGHT AT THE CURB (or almost straight)
This is just for the beginners. After you get the hang of it and your confidence increases, you can go at a lower angle. But going head-on into the curb will help you get onto it, so have your bodily mass heading into it.

3- CARVE
About a meter/yard before you hit, carve hard into the direction you wanna get on. Your board should be between 70-45 degrees to the curb at time of impact. Your body weight should be well inside the turn, and you should be cranking down hard on those toes or heels.

3- DON’T SLAM THE BOARD
This is the most important point. And one that people make the most mistakes with. Slappies are actually kinda delicate, and a pretty smooth feeling trick once you understand this point.
As your front wheels hit the curb, you have to lighten your front foot, like when you nollie bump a crack in the pavement. You let the board bump up onto the curb, and then do the same with your back foot, as you push it into place. It’s a very quick and subtle unweighting of front foot-back foot.
You never straight-leg slam the board into the curb.

****if you don’t twist enough into the turn, your back wheels won’t bump up. You have to twist your body so that your shoulders and hips are in line with the curb. This is usually easier frontside (probably because fs grinds on as a mini are like this, but with bs you can stay open to the coping). On a slappy, you gotta fully turn your whole body so that the back wheel gets on****

4- GET IN THE BACKSEAT
With your front foot so far forward, you may find yourself weighting the front truck so much that it catches on the grind.
As you get that back truck on, scoot the whole board forward underneath you, get your weight back of center, and grind

5-ENJOY THE RIDE, DISMOUNT IN YOUR PREFERRED STYLE, AND UTTER “PRAISE BE TO LUCERO”

5 star info..tq

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 588
« Reply #404 on: October 02, 2021, 11:09:18 AM »
My everyday spot is a low, slightly banked curb. I can do a bunch of slappy variations on it, frontside and backside and I was feeling pretty good about my slappy game.
Been staying in my wife's home town and the main spot I've been skating has a flat, tall curb. Tall enough that it's on the line between low ledge and tall curb. Turns out my slappy game isn't all that.
Been giving it a red hot crack though, backside slappy is finally getting consistent and knocked out my first frontside slappy today. Whole new ballgame off the training curbs....

It’s because you’re used to your curbs. I’ve gone to other spots/quick park and slappys but, once you get used to a spot, it takes time to adjust to the new curb because of it’s size and shape.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

disclosed

• Rep: 186
« Reply #405 on: October 02, 2021, 11:30:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s because you’re used to your curbs. I’ve gone to other spots/quick park and slappys but, once you get used to a spot, it takes time to adjust to the new curb because of it’s size and shape.

my local is a tall curb. whenever i go to other curbs i overshoot my back truck half the time. and then when i go back to my local i willy grind the shit out of it. its funny but you're right.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #406 on: October 02, 2021, 12:03:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

my local is a tall curb. whenever i go to other curbs i overshoot my back truck half the time. and then when i go back to my local i willy grind the shit out of it. its funny but you're right.

Haha true. I losi grind the shit out of small curbs.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #407 on: October 02, 2021, 04:04:03 PM »
Getting super close to the axle on my trucks, so I went on a mission to hit it yesterday, figuring I’d get there in the deep heelside groove on my rear truck. Turns out I was way closer to the kingpin on the front truck, which started sticking on about 1/2 to 2/3’s of fs slaps. So I tried to go faster to power through, which led to some sketchy, flailing, 50-to-Losi-to-lip slide-flailing makes and misses.  Priceless lowbrow entertainment.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #408 on: October 02, 2021, 06:19:22 PM »
Getting super close to the axle on my trucks, so I went on a mission to hit it yesterday, figuring I’d get there in the deep heelside groove on my rear truck. Turns out I was way closer to the kingpin on the front truck, which started sticking on about 1/2 to 2/3’s of fs slaps. So I tried to go faster to power through, which led to some sketchy, flailing, 50-to-Losi-to-lip slide-flailing makes and misses.  Priceless lowbrow entertainment.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #409 on: November 08, 2021, 07:26:05 AM »
Expand Quote
In the recent Indy Trucks video on YouTube, the photographer guy who works for Independent recommends using concrete sealer instead of spray lacquer, which I am now psyched to try since, in many places, all of the sights and sounds associated with spray lacquer scream "CALL THE POLICE".

[close]
I saw this just last night and I agree it sounds pretty slick. If you’re going for the “I’m a maintenance guy and I belong here” look, using a bucket and brush definitely helps. I’m probably gonna try this stuff over the weekend, I have a curb in my sights... but the Loews near my house was out of rub bricks when I went last night >.<

With that said I’ll also note that if you’re in a reasonably secluded spot you can wrap the can up in a towel or something both to disguise the appearance and muffle the sound of a clacking can.

Update after brushing a few curbs with different concrete sealers: the first jug I bought was Behr “wet look” sealer #985, and it worked like a charm. The gallon you get for $30 will be enough to coat tons of curbs. They will get slick af.

Recently I needed a new jug and they didn’t have the same “wet look” sealer so I got the only one they had, Behr #980 silicon based “waterproofer and protecter“. It does NOT work as well. So now I have a gallon of this shit and I wish I had just waited to get the other formula.

Figured I would leave this in the Slap brain trust so others can learn from my mistakes via search button in the future

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1405
« Reply #410 on: November 08, 2021, 07:44:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
In the recent Indy Trucks video on YouTube, the photographer guy who works for Independent recommends using concrete sealer instead of spray lacquer, which I am now psyched to try since, in many places, all of the sights and sounds associated with spray lacquer scream "CALL THE POLICE".

[close]
I saw this just last night and I agree it sounds pretty slick. If you’re going for the “I’m a maintenance guy and I belong here” look, using a bucket and brush definitely helps. I’m probably gonna try this stuff over the weekend, I have a curb in my sights... but the Loews near my house was out of rub bricks when I went last night >.<

With that said I’ll also note that if you’re in a reasonably secluded spot you can wrap the can up in a towel or something both to disguise the appearance and muffle the sound of a clacking can.
[close]

Update after brushing a few curbs with different concrete sealers: the first jug I bought was Behr “wet look” sealer #985, and it worked like a charm. The gallon you get for $30 will be enough to coat tons of curbs. They will get slick af.

Recently I needed a new jug and they didn’t have the same “wet look” sealer so I got the only one they had, Behr #980 silicon based “waterproofer and protecter“. It does NOT work as well. So now I have a gallon of this shit and I wish I had just waited to get the other formula.

Figured I would leave this in the Slap brain trust so others can learn from my mistakes via search button in the future

This is vital and important knowledge

FUBAR

• Rep: 240
« Reply #411 on: November 09, 2021, 01:31:03 AM »
^^^yes! Added to my Home Depot shpooing list. Thanks!

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #412 on: November 27, 2021, 08:49:03 AM »
I learned slappies on low curbs where I can crash into the curb standing on bolts and the setup will automatically be pushed onto the curb. Today I tried a curb that was slightly higher and this method did not work anymore. To get up I had to ever so slightly lift the front foot and put some weight on the back foot. Is that how it‘s done or is this cheating?
why come?

disclosed

• Rep: 186
« Reply #413 on: November 27, 2021, 09:29:53 AM »
I learned slappies on low curbs where I can crash into the curb standing on bolts and the setup will automatically be pushed onto the curb. Today I tried a curb that was slightly higher and this method did not work anymore. To get up I had to ever so slightly lift the front foot and put some weight on the back foot. Is that how it‘s done or is this cheating?

assume you mean like this? then thats perfectly fine in my book. aslong as you don't tictac onto it and there still the front truck bash. i do think on lower/normal  height curbs you can work it out by just doing it more and figuring out timing and weight shifting better.

(edit: not my video)

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #414 on: November 27, 2021, 12:35:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

assume you mean like this? then thats perfectly fine in my book. aslong as you don't tictac onto it and there still the front truck bash. i do think on lower/normal  height curbs you can work it out by just doing it more and figuring out timing and weight shifting better.

No fam it was way lower than this.  :-[
why come?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #415 on: November 27, 2021, 03:42:15 PM »

The fact that you use the word ‘crash’ makes me think that you might not quite have the feeling of slappies yet.

It’s not a crash at all, it’s a controlled carve where you lighten your feet at the right time to let the board get up onto the curb, and use your feet to guide it.

Ideally you shouldn’t have to lift your front trucks on any reasonably sized curb

If you need advice in technique, there’s lots of it early in the thread

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #416 on: November 27, 2021, 11:14:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The fact that you use the word ‘crash’ makes me think that you might not quite have the feeling of slappies yet.

It’s not a crash at all, it’s a controlled carve where you lighten your feet at the right time to let the board get up onto the curb, and use your feet to guide it.

Ideally you shouldn’t have to lift your front trucks on any reasonably sized curb

If you need advice in technique, there’s lots of it early in the thread

Lighten the feet… hmmm… that‘s what I meant with „lift my foot ever so slightly“ in my post… so it‘s legal.  8)
why come?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #417 on: November 28, 2021, 12:57:58 AM »
👌gotcha. As long as you aren’t actively lifting the front trucks the slappy police won’t say anything

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 253
« Reply #418 on: December 01, 2021, 10:54:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

haha I was gonna say 'oh shit that's you??', cuz I follow this guy on ig^^

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #419 on: December 01, 2021, 10:59:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

haha I was gonna say 'oh shit that's you??', cuz I follow this guy on ig^^

Damn. Those are some tall curbs.