Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 91254 times)

lemonchicken91

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #420 on: December 02, 2021, 10:50:42 AM »
so you dont press on the tail at all for proper entry?
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #421 on: December 02, 2021, 12:30:15 PM »
when i get one that feels really good my feet are basically over the bolts; people who truly rip slappies can do them practically with their feet together in the dead middle of the board. i cheat a little by using the tail when i need to. depends on the curb, and how well i'm skating on any given day

Sneezer1

• Rep: 0
« Reply #422 on: December 21, 2021, 02:06:11 AM »
What companies besides Boardy cakes and liljawns truly support curb skating?

djoekr

• Rep: 322
« Reply #423 on: December 21, 2021, 02:49:41 AM »

Heroin has made the Curb Crusher and Curb Killer decks.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 233
« Reply #424 on: December 21, 2021, 04:56:32 AM »

Lucero practically invented it. John and Adams  have been showcasing slappies since before it was cool.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

somefucker

« Reply #425 on: December 21, 2021, 04:59:56 AM »

heroin
blast
searat

cky enthusiast

« Reply #426 on: December 21, 2021, 06:07:21 AM »
how tf does one “truly support” skating a curb

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #427 on: December 21, 2021, 06:37:14 AM »
Just my hot take:

I think the weird "curb fetish" board thing where people are rocking a shape with 215s, 46mm wheels, and rails is played and distracting. If that is truly your thing, fine, but you don't need all that and it often looks silly.

I really liked that Upper West Side Curb Club video where everyone was running their normal setup and not some specialty curb board.

somefucker

« Reply #428 on: December 21, 2021, 06:39:19 AM »
Just my hot take:

I think the weird "curb fetish" board thing where people are rocking a shape with 215s, 46mm wheels, and rails is played and distracting. If that is truly your thing, fine, but you don't need all that and it looks silly.

I really liked that Upper West Side Curb Club video where everyone was running their normal setup and not some specialty curb board.

so by that logic, should vert dudes be running 8.38s with 139s and 53mm because a vert setup is played and distracting?

indeed a hot take.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #429 on: December 21, 2021, 06:42:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Just my hot take:

I think the weird "curb fetish" board thing where people are rocking a shape with 215s, 46mm wheels, and rails is played and distracting. If that is truly your thing, fine, but you don't need all that and it looks silly.

[close]

so by that logic, should vert dudes be running 8.38s with 139s and 53mm because a vert setup is played and distracting?

indeed a hot take.

Yeah, totally. You got me!

Edit/fun fact: did know that people did slappies long before 10" eggs with 46mm wheels were a thing? Pretty crazy! So weird, but there are several decades of footage of people skating curbs on whatever their normal board was. wild.

Also, I'm so glad you brought up vert. The accessibility and skill level involved is definitely equivocal, and your comparison is really apt and astute.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 07:04:27 AM by Macho Taildrop »

cky enthusiast

« Reply #430 on: December 21, 2021, 07:57:57 AM »
curbs and vert: comparable terrain

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #431 on: December 21, 2021, 08:01:16 AM »
I’m definitely “run what ya brung/all setups are curb setups” but big-ass trucks will span double sided curbs where others will not. Tiny wheels aren’t for me, though.

Tepid take: until it affects the availability of gear I prefer, what other people ride is fine by me.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #432 on: December 21, 2021, 08:04:32 AM »
I agree that it’s somewhat weird and fetishistic to skate a jumbo goofball lil wheel curb setup… but when I see someone doing like a seven trick combo on some 50 foot double sided curb I think it looks pretty fun

Then I imagine trying to get enough speed to do that on some little bearing condom wheels and inevitably catching a rock at some point. Basically I could see myself getting down with everything except the tiny wheels.

But to each their own. It’s all just playing with our favorite toy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

sk8bones

• Rep: -15
« Reply #433 on: December 21, 2021, 08:17:17 AM »
I ride multiple boards. I have a huge 10.5 Scram punk point board with classic Ace 66s and 53mm 78a wheels with rails. I also have an 8.75 with classic Ace 55s and 55mm 95a wheels with rails. Both for curbs. Wider trucks are good for double sided curbs. Other than that the big board is harder to skate. Some prefer to be challenged by their equipment.

Seeing the Curb Control guys at Costco tells me use a normal board with rails slightly inward from the edge of the board. Moving the rails in gives more tilt. Creager rides a tiny board. They did suggest rails though. So a wooden toy with rails is all you really need. Salba sauce and wax every time too according to the Curb Control guys.

djoekr

• Rep: 322
« Reply #434 on: December 21, 2021, 08:18:38 AM »
I try to skate many different types of terrain, and will use boards ranging from 8.5 to 9.5s as a curb setup, but what's wrong with someone who falls in love with a certain type of skating and decides to dedicate their setup to that?
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

somefucker

« Reply #435 on: December 21, 2021, 08:19:55 AM »
I try to skate many different types of terrain, and will use any board as a curb setup, but what's wrong with someone who falls in love with a certain type of skating and decides to dedicate their setup to that?

absolutely nothing, complainers=soft, bored e-boys that lift their front truck on a slappy.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #436 on: December 21, 2021, 08:42:29 AM »
small wheels are ass, there is really no reason to use those shit.
guaranteed you can do a 3 flip or whatever your biggest huck truck is on 60mm wheels, the extra weight is negligable, while the extra speed you gain is super noticeable, and it feels a lot better on shittier ground too if that is something you have to deal with.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #437 on: December 21, 2021, 09:00:06 AM »
I ride multiple boards. I have a huge 10.5 Scram punk point board with classic Ace 66s and 53mm 78a wheels with rails. I also have an 8.75 with classic Ace 55s and 55mm 95a wheels with rails. Both for curbs. Wider trucks are good for double sided curbs. Other than that the big board is harder to skate. Some prefer to be challenged by their equipment.

Seeing the Curb Control guys at Costco tells me use a normal board with rails slightly inward from the edge of the board. Moving the rails in gives more tilt. Creager rides a tiny board. They did suggest rails though. So a wooden toy with rails is all you really need. Salba sauce and wax every time too according to the Curb Control guys.

This. I bought a 10" SeaRat board (15"WB) and threw that on 215s because I liked watching SeaRat skate that deck. The board itself is great, but I quickly realized that setup is too big for me. I can get on, but it takes a lot more maneuvering and effort. Versus the 8.8 TT (14" WB) John Gardner Creature deck I skate where I feel zippier and can bash into the curb easier.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1405
« Reply #438 on: December 21, 2021, 09:23:17 AM »
I just skate fast and smash curb. Goofy board work for some. Indy go grrrrrrr

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #439 on: December 21, 2021, 09:29:28 AM »
I try to skate many different types of terrain, and will use boards ranging from 8.5 to 9.5s as a curb setup, but what's wrong with someone who falls in love with a certain type of skating and decides to dedicate their setup to that?

If you're genuinely into those setups, nothing. But my personal taste (as someone who skates curbs 90% of the time) is that they look silly and and are unnecessary.

Also, pretty much what @DaleSr said.

animalflesh

« Reply #440 on: December 21, 2021, 09:35:58 AM »
If your board sucks for just skating around because you needed some goofy special gear to skate a curb…

Come on

TheDingus

« Reply #441 on: December 21, 2021, 10:10:10 AM »
Are the dudes that skate those bigger boards doing good shit? And have the people talking shit about it tried it? Skate what works for you, I guess.

Spicy boi.

• Rep: 8
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #442 on: December 21, 2021, 10:29:48 AM »
If your board sucks for just skating around because you needed some goofy special gear to skate a curb…

Come on

My thoughts exactly, these 30-40mm wheel dudes may be able to slappy crook to noseslide to crook to noseslide, but are no match to a sidewalk crack

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #443 on: December 21, 2021, 10:32:44 AM »
Are the dudes that skate those bigger boards doing good shit? And have the people talking shit about it tried it? Skate what works for you, I guess.

chico, frank villani, BA, Gonz, it is few and far between though. theres a lot of people riding them not doing jack shit. i dont think it makes much of a difference tbh.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #444 on: December 21, 2021, 10:39:17 AM »
I have a bigger shaped board—it doesn't help me really with curb skating but it boosts my nostalgia quotient 1,000% percent. A lot of the curb tricks that are my go-to are kinda the same ones i was doing in the early '90s so it makes me feel like a kid again in a weird way to skate those eggs. :D

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #445 on: December 21, 2021, 12:33:13 PM »
skateboarding is supposed to be fun
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 233
« Reply #446 on: December 21, 2021, 03:04:35 PM »
I don’t get complaining about slappy set-ups in a slappy thread. If you are filming about have tons of people following you on insta, I’m not going to begrudge someone having a dedicated slappy board.

One thing is, I find big wheels with rounded lips easier for slappies, the best being Ratbones (the lip on the inside of the wheel sucks for variations, tho)

Which is why I think the guys run small wheels, I think it makes the actual slappy harder, but variations and combos easier.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #447 on: December 21, 2021, 05:45:03 PM »
I ride 149s and I’m already annoyed when my wheels straddle the curbs you find next to grass. 215s with tiny wheels would be that much more aggravating. Also I don’t like hitting rocks. But rails are fun

Frank and Fred

« Reply #448 on: December 21, 2021, 06:26:46 PM »
Expand Quote
I learned slappies on low curbs where I can crash into the curb standing on bolts and the setup will automatically be pushed onto the curb. Today I tried a curb that was slightly higher and this method did not work anymore. To get up I had to ever so slightly lift the front foot and put some weight on the back foot. Is that how it‘s done or is this cheating?
[close]

assume you mean like this? then thats perfectly fine in my book. aslong as you don't tictac onto it and there still the front truck bash. i do think on lower/normal  height curbs you can work it out by just doing it more and figuring out timing and weight shifting better.

(edit: not my video)

Farts and lifts his front truck. Mods, please ban.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #449 on: December 22, 2021, 06:03:33 PM »
I just skate fast and smash curb. Goofy board work for some. Indy go grrrrrrr
This.
Whatever board you’re riding is perfect for them. Pigs? Yes. Popsicle in 7.5? Yes. Anything and everything in between? Yes.