Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 92955 times)

animalflesh

Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #510 on: February 05, 2022, 08:56:38 AM »
I would skate it if it was there but I’d never buy it

djoekr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 324
« Reply #511 on: February 05, 2022, 09:08:50 AM »
Seems like it's a decent option if you're a kid and your parents don't want you to lower their property value by destroying the curb in front of their house. Otherwise, very wack.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 556
« Reply #512 on: February 05, 2022, 10:17:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anybody skate round metal-edge curbs 90℅ of the time? My concrete curb spot that I've rub bricked and worked in are too low and right-angled for me to find it fun to slappy (I'll still shove in or hit a fat back nose lol). Metal curbs are funny, they slide nice on aces and indys and leave your hangers brown w rust. I miss California sometimes
[close]

In Philly on the streets around some of the rec centers we have those (round, metal edge curbs) but a lot of times they’re really low.  I’d love to find a good one that’s a reasonable height.  I’ve seen good ones in New York and wished I had my board with me.
[close]
Yeah they’re everywhere in NYC. Some are a lot stickier than you’d expect but some are broken in and a lot of fun. Not quite a “real” slappy in some ways but who cares. You can grind mad far on them when they’re good.
[close]

Not real cause it’s metal?
[close]
partially that, but even more because they're so round. not that i'm trying to gatekeep or anything, i skate rounded-ass texas curbs all the time now and it's still fun. enjoy whatever's around
[close]

From the Jenkem article reviewing different types of curbs in NYC

ROUNDED METAL CURB
Under the weight of mounds of garbage, lost tourists, and Times Square characters, you’ll find these types of curbs across the entire city.

There’s always a kid that claims they’re nice with their slappy skills, but then they bring you to these and you see why they can “do” so many slappies.

“I can slappy” in this case can be translated to “I cannot,” so whenever someone says “I can slappy crooked grind,” what they really mean is “I cannot crooked grind.” But if you can only “slappy” on a curved metal curb, then you can’t even really slappy, and that’s double embarrassing.

If you don’t have these kinds of curbs in your city and you want one (I don’t know why you would) they’re pretty easy to make. Just get a couple of old soup cans, cut them in half, and use some Liquid Nails to attach them to the curb in front of your house.

https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2021/07/12/intern-review-new-york-city-curbs/
[close]

On the topic of metal curbs:

What do you guys think of the curb cover? I'm sure it's been discussed already but if it did I missed that discussion.

https://www.curb-cover.com/
Say no to curb condoms.

Hedgehog In Da Fog

• Rep: -15
« Reply #513 on: February 05, 2022, 10:40:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anybody skate round metal-edge curbs 90℅ of the time? My concrete curb spot that I've rub bricked and worked in are too low and right-angled for me to find it fun to slappy (I'll still shove in or hit a fat back nose lol). Metal curbs are funny, they slide nice on aces and indys and leave your hangers brown w rust. I miss California sometimes
[close]

In Philly on the streets around some of the rec centers we have those (round, metal edge curbs) but a lot of times they’re really low.  I’d love to find a good one that’s a reasonable height.  I’ve seen good ones in New York and wished I had my board with me.
[close]
Yeah they’re everywhere in NYC. Some are a lot stickier than you’d expect but some are broken in and a lot of fun. Not quite a “real” slappy in some ways but who cares. You can grind mad far on them when they’re good.
[close]

[close]
partially that, but even more because they're so round. not that i'm trying to gatekeep or anything, i skate rounded-ass texas curbs all the time now and it's still fun. enjoy whatever's around
[close]

ROUNDED METAL CURB
Under the weight of mounds of garbage, lost tourists, and Times Square characters, you’ll find these types of curbs across the entire city.

There’s always a kid that claims they’re nice with their slappy skills, but then they bring you to these and you see why they can “do” so many slappies.

“I can slappy” in this case can be translated to “I cannot,” so whenever someone says “I can slappy crooked grind,” what they really mean is “I cannot crooked grind.” But if you can only “slappy” on a curved metal curb, then you can’t even really slappy, and that’s double embarrassing.

If you don’t have these kinds of curbs in your city and you want one (I don’t know why you would) they’re pretty easy to make. Just get a couple of old soup cans, cut them in half, and use some Liquid Nails to attach them to the curb in front of your house.

[close]

What do you guys think of the curb cover? I'm sure it's been discussed already but if it did I missed that discussion.

[close]
Say no to curb condoms.

Raw is law.

manysnakes

« Reply #514 on: February 05, 2022, 11:29:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

ROUNDED METAL CURB

[close]

Everyone hates it, but it seems like a fine thing for a kid living in a suburban cul-de-sac who can't go waxing up curbs for whatever reason.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1509
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #515 on: February 05, 2022, 01:38:52 PM »
I'd rather steal my kid a parking curb.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #516 on: February 05, 2022, 03:06:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

ROUNDED METAL CURB

[close]

[close]
Say no to curb condoms.
It’s all fun and games until your curb gets curbpes

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #517 on: February 05, 2022, 06:10:57 PM »
what slappy tricks should i learn next? i have:
fs5050
bs5050
bs feeble (sometimes) 
bs crook
bs noseslide
bs boardslide
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1187
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #518 on: February 05, 2022, 06:20:44 PM »
fs5050
bs5050
bs feeble (sometimes) 
bs crook
bs noseslide
bs boardslide

FS noseslides are a lot of fun. I have a hard time with bs noseslides for some reason, but sliding them frontside feels good and in my head they look really stylish (even though they really don’t).

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #519 on: February 05, 2022, 06:37:27 PM »
fs5050
bs5050
bs feeble (sometimes) 
bs crook
bs noseslide
bs boardslide

if you got a double side curb try and learn back boards to hurricane. they’re pretty easy if you got rails on your board you just have to put weight on your heels and turn a little mid boardslide

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 556
« Reply #520 on: February 05, 2022, 07:49:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

ROUNDED METAL CURB

[close]

[close]
Say no to curb condoms.
[close]
It’s all fun and games until your curb gets curbpes
🤣

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #521 on: February 05, 2022, 09:33:23 PM »
Expand Quote
fs5050
bs5050
bs feeble (sometimes) 
bs crook
bs noseslide
bs boardslide
[close]

FS noseslides are a lot of fun. I have a hard time with bs noseslides for some reason, but sliding them frontside feels good and in my head they look really stylish (even though they really don’t).

Front and back smiths, and 180’s out of the ones you listed
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #522 on: February 06, 2022, 07:14:44 AM »
Funny story— I stole a parking block from my neighborhood skatepark parking lot when I was a kid and the cops showed up at my house a few weeks later. Apparently some other kid got caught trying to steal another one and then ratted me out. Cops just told me to bring it back.

realbasedgod112

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #523 on: February 06, 2022, 01:51:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
fs5050
bs5050
bs feeble (sometimes) 
bs crook
bs noseslide
bs boardslide
[close]

[close]

how would a slappy smith work? i imagine the curb would be too low for anything dipped to be feasible

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #524 on: February 06, 2022, 02:26:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
fs5050
bs5050
bs feeble (sometimes) 
bs crook
bs noseslide
bs boardslide
[close]

[close]

[close]
how would a slappy smith work? i imagine the curb would be too low for anything dipped to be feasible

ask Hersk, man does bs slappy smiths like none other. i dont understand it at all

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1509
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #525 on: February 06, 2022, 02:29:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Funny story— I stole a parking block from my neighborhood skatepark parking lot when I was a kid and the cops showed up at my house a few weeks later. Apparently some other kid got caught trying to steal another one and then ratted me out. Cops just told me to bring it back.
That's pretty funny. I would have ganked a curb from somewhere else. Fuck that snitching kid.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #526 on: February 06, 2022, 03:22:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
fs5050
bs5050
bs feeble (sometimes) 
bs crook
bs noseslide
bs boardslide
[close]

[close]

[close]

It’s definitely possible.

Here are some shit ones of mine.

And her’s how it’s properly done

I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

animalflesh

« Reply #527 on: February 07, 2022, 09:19:40 AM »
Slappy smiths are best on parking blocks… you can kinda lap over and not slide your wheels on the ground

Although the ones with the wheels sliding are also sick

skunty

• Rep: 75
« Reply #528 on: February 07, 2022, 01:57:46 PM »
Slappy smiths are best on parking blocks… you can kinda lap over and not slide your wheels on the ground

Smiths on real curbs are the truth. I have not mastered them, but I have pulled a few good ones. Powerslide the back wheels a little into the curb, front truck does a wheeler to avoid going into 50.

realbasedgod112

« Reply #529 on: February 07, 2022, 02:23:26 PM »

word, i found some parking blocks in the bushes behind the supermarket so i'll pick them up and give it a try.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
« Reply #530 on: February 07, 2022, 07:29:38 PM »
hey what's the lacquer y'all use? is it spray can? I've got some cuts I wanna skate =)
Support your local skate shop

realbasedgod112

« Reply #531 on: February 07, 2022, 10:45:21 PM »
hey what's the lacquer y'all use? is it spray can? I've got some cuts I wanna skate =)
rustoleum clear coat spray, but make sure you rub brick the curb first if it needs it, and get all the dust off it before you spray.

manysnakes

« Reply #532 on: February 09, 2022, 08:19:24 AM »

For the purposes of lacquering a curb, I just buy literally whatever the cheapest one is. I can't imagine that sort of difference you see between brands and qualities you would see when lacquering a piece of finished burl wood or something are going to apply to a chuck of concrete. With that said, many people I know have switched the concrete sealer (Behr, in particular). I think it's a better dollar value, works as well or better, and I think the main advantage to me would the lack of the "spray paint sound", which attracts attention from concerned citizens (but I haven't used it).

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1597
« Reply #533 on: February 09, 2022, 09:20:43 AM »
I’m sure this has been mentioned in the post but you can get it in a can and paint it on….maybe less heat.  I sometimes think it’s faster…

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #534 on: February 09, 2022, 04:50:50 PM »
Paint on lacquer means you can do a heavier coat, the spray is a bit less obvious, if you have to travel to it and can’t park in front of the curb

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 594
« Reply #535 on: February 09, 2022, 11:40:04 PM »
Expand Quote
fs5050
bs5050
bs feeble (sometimes) 
bs crook
bs noseslide
bs boardslide
[close]

+1 front noseslides. They're pretty easy and feel so good when you hit one going mach 10 and slide the shit out of a nice red curb. I feel you on back noseslides. I always stick on those and fall out to fakie. I pretty much gave up on them at this point.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 594
« Reply #536 on: February 09, 2022, 11:41:46 PM »
fs5050
bs5050
bs feeble (sometimes) 
bs crook
bs noseslide
bs boardslide

Listen to the kid

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1597
« Reply #537 on: February 09, 2022, 11:47:42 PM »
Switch nosie….switch crook…

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #538 on: February 10, 2022, 03:44:38 AM »

FS Crooks are fun!

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #539 on: February 10, 2022, 05:21:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
fs5050
bs5050
bs feeble (sometimes) 
bs crook
bs noseslide
bs boardslide
[close]

[close]

+1 front noseslides. They're pretty easy and feel so good when you hit one going mach 10 and slide the shit out of a nice red curb. I feel you on back noseslides. I always stick on those and fall out to fakie. I pretty much gave up on them at this point.
Front nose is a great steezlord trick, up there with front shoves and a few others imo for just being cool af

Back nose on a curb is a funny one, and tail/nose slides in general — if im on a slanted California style curb it will just kinda spit me off to fakie most of the time. It’s hard to lock in on those. If it’s a more squared off curb then that’s a different story.

And some others are talkin bout front crook— I gotta be feeling mad limber to get those for some reason, even tho back crooks are my consistent go-to. And when I do pop up, I often find myself doing more of a slappy nose grind instead. Not sure why. Just one of those weird asymmetrical quirks of my own body/movement I guess.