Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 91224 times)

SatanicPanic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #600 on: February 26, 2022, 02:14:14 PM »
I’ve been working on this spot a slap pal told me about a few years ago, got about 10 sections sealed and slick.

I wanna build a curb so I guess I better just start building my forms. I probably will do a simple straight one first but the curved options are so cool looking.
Damn that was good

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1426
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #601 on: February 26, 2022, 04:46:10 PM »
Expand Quote
I’ve been working on this spot a slap pal told me about a few years ago, got about 10 sections sealed and slick.

I wanna build a curb so I guess I better just start building my forms. I probably will do a simple straight one first but the curved options are so cool looking.
[close]
Damn that was good

finess, for sure.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #602 on: February 27, 2022, 07:44:16 AM »
Thank you for the kindness, curbs have always been my preferred terrain, even years ago when the thought of rails was taboo or people might put a slappy in a part as them screwing around but if I was out skating and we came across a nice slick curb I would just skate that vs the ledge/gap.
Now I just embrace it and try to progress in small ways.

streetmeat

• Rep: 169
« Reply #603 on: February 27, 2022, 03:35:26 PM »

new one for me

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #604 on: February 27, 2022, 07:05:22 PM »
Very nice! Those are so fun

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #605 on: February 28, 2022, 03:52:49 AM »
I really just wish I had a garage workspace like that.

That’s my only takeaway from that video

Yeah, who are these cunts with nice houses and workspaces that look functional, uncluttered and very specifically decorated.   What kind of brain allows this.

animalflesh

« Reply #606 on: March 10, 2022, 11:40:00 AM »
Bump

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #607 on: March 10, 2022, 12:21:56 PM »
I dragged one of those home one day, they don’t work so good not staked into the ground

animalflesh

« Reply #608 on: March 10, 2022, 05:54:25 PM »
Yeah they just fly in any direction the second you hit them

Bigpantssmallwheelz

• Rep: -3
  • Ollie one foot, you bozo.
« Reply #609 on: March 14, 2022, 05:56:19 PM »
The homie Danny Sargeant still kills. He killed any curb in SF back in the day. I met him a couple years back when he moved here to mn

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #610 on: March 14, 2022, 06:29:01 PM »
The homie Danny Sargeant still kills. He killed any curb in SF back in the day. I met him a couple years back when he moved here to mn

Obligatory.

https://chromeballincident.blogspot.com/2014/04/chrome-ball-interview-72-danny-sargent.html

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #611 on: March 14, 2022, 06:32:05 PM »
slappin around on a big cruiser with 15" WB, no real nose, big soft wheels and ACE 55s. holy crap those 55s pull onto tall curbs in a way that the 159 does not. Also, skating this nearly noseless board led to some unintentional nearly nose grinds. it was all pretty fun

djoekr

• Rep: 322
« Reply #612 on: March 15, 2022, 10:04:36 AM »
My 159s are almost done and I was looking for a new set. I've never skated Indy Hollows before as I thought that they would crumble once you hit the axle on them but I found a set for a good price and was wondering how they handle curbs and rough ledges. Would the axle immediately break once you grind down to it, or does it wear away like any set of standards would?
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #613 on: March 15, 2022, 10:14:06 AM »
My 159s are almost done and I was looking for a new set. I've never skated Indy Hollows before as I thought that they would crumble once you hit the axle on them but I found a set for a good price and was wondering how they handle curbs and rough ledges. Would the axle immediately break once you grind down to it, or does it wear away like any set of standards would?

I'm pretty deep into the axle on my forged hollows and they're still running strong. I sort of thought there'd be a little gap or something once I got into it, but so far nothing. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again, you should go for it.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #614 on: March 15, 2022, 10:18:45 AM »

they're great trucks. slightly lighter and hold up real nice.

manysnakes

« Reply #615 on: March 15, 2022, 10:38:53 AM »

They’re great. Most of the weight savings of titanium at like half the price. The hollow axle is functionally as strong as a solid axle, although at some point in the distant future you’ll grind into the hollow portion and then you’ll probably want new trucks.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1347
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #616 on: March 15, 2022, 10:43:21 AM »
Indy Hollow: (ding-dong) I'll get it...
Me: To me, you are perfect
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

djoekr

« Reply #617 on: March 15, 2022, 12:47:50 PM »
Fuck it just ordered the set of 159 hollows. Curious to see how they hold up.

Also , does anyone have any tips on learning slappy variations? I've got fs 50s on lock and can hold the grind for as long as I want but I'm struggling to get into any other slappy grind. I can do slappy 50 to feeble, smith and front tail and I can ollie into feeble and smith just fine but I can't slappy into them. I went to a park this weekend where I skated my first slanted red parking blocks instead of the gritty euro curbs I'm used to and immediately landed a slappy crook and kinda got the hang of feebles but I'm struggling to get them on the straight local curb.

Edit: just landed slappy front smiths, got the tip of seeing it as a 50 where you over rotate your front truck and that seemed to work. Haven't got feebles to work but that's something for the next session.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 02:55:04 PM by djoekr »
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #618 on: March 15, 2022, 04:44:15 PM »

Also , does anyone have any tips on learning slappy variations? I've got fs 50s on lock and can hold the grind for as long as I want but I'm struggling to get into any other slappy grind. I can do slappy 50 to feeble, smith and front tail and I can ollie into feeble and smith just fine but I can't slappy into them. I went to a park this weekend where I skated my first slanted red parking blocks instead of the gritty euro curbs I'm used to and immediately landed a slappy crook and kinda got the hang of feebles but I'm struggling to get them on the straight local curb.

Edit: just landed slappy front smiths, got the tip of seeing it as a 50 where you over rotate your front truck and that seemed to work. Haven't got feebles to work but that's something for the next session.
keep in mind this is for bs feebles (im also goofy), but if it makes any difference you could just reverse it:
-put the ball of your back foot right on the tip of the tail, and the ball of your front foot right in the middle of the deck and slightly behind the front bolts. keep it at about diagonal.
-come up at a pretty tight angle, about 20 degrees off perpendicular. at the last second, carve left to be closer to parallel with the ledge.
-wind your shoulders up like for a bs180, and as you hit the curb swing them back around the opposite direction.
-lift up your front truck slightly and do the 'slam' motion with the back truck, all the while keeping your weight on the back truck. this is to let the front truck make the movement over to the other side of the curb.
-as soon as you get into the grind reverse all the body movements you just made in order to come out. you can get them longer once you get them better, so there's no need to rush.

also, it helps a lot to have a curb without the pavement right on the other side. sort of like a parking block in that manner, but not a parking block. i suppose you could do it on a parking block, but i can't. you're probably better than me.
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #619 on: March 15, 2022, 05:54:09 PM »
I retired a pair that was over halfway through the axle. Didn’t break but after some slaps on a 90* curb it bent about a 1/4”. Didn’t notice it until after I went home and saw wheel burn next to my original burn. Still use them on a cruiser without issues(well, it’ll cone wheels unless you rotate them).

djoekr

« Reply #620 on: March 16, 2022, 01:13:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
keep in mind this is for bs feebles (im also goofy), but if it makes any difference you could just reverse it:
-put the ball of your back foot right on the tip of the tail, and the ball of your front foot right in the middle of the deck and slightly behind the front bolts. keep it at about diagonal.
-come up at a pretty tight angle, about 20 degrees off perpendicular. at the last second, carve left to be closer to parallel with the ledge.
-wind your shoulders up like for a bs180, and as you hit the curb swing them back around the opposite direction.
-lift up your front truck slightly and do the 'slam' motion with the back truck, all the while keeping your weight on the back truck. this is to let the front truck make the movement over to the other side of the curb.
-as soon as you get into the grind reverse all the body movements you just made in order to come out. you can get them longer once you get them better, so there's no need to rush.

also, it helps a lot to have a curb without the pavement right on the other side. sort of like a parking block in that manner, but not a parking block. i suppose you could do it on a parking block, but i can't. you're probably better than me.

Alright, I'll keep this in mind when I'm out tonight. Appreciate it. Also, there are 0 double sided curbs in the city where I'm from and I've only once in my life skated one, but I noticed that feebles and crooks were way easier on a slanted red parking block.
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #621 on: March 18, 2022, 12:27:40 PM »
I saw a headline this morning that made me do a double-take

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 114
« Reply #622 on: March 18, 2022, 12:49:12 PM »

My brain is burning trying to read that headline

disclosed

• Rep: 186
« Reply #623 on: March 18, 2022, 01:02:51 PM »

ive done so many takes now and dont feel like ive gotten any closer to the real meaning.

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #624 on: March 18, 2022, 01:07:19 PM »

I feel like I just had a stroke reading this.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2254
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #625 on: March 18, 2022, 01:56:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

ive done so many takes now and dont feel like ive gotten any closer to the real meaning.
It's simple: the Nike SB team was going to do a goodwill tour through China & Russia, in order to skate some "COVID Curbs" and put together an edit that capitalizes on the rising tide of skaters who are maturing into fat, old dudes (like me) who like to spend their free weekend hours at a slappy sesh.
In other words: Nike is pulling out of marketing to older skaters because, Putin happened.

Russia invaded a sovereign nation & China loves them -or- Nike of Russia/China slappy curbs

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #626 on: March 18, 2022, 05:26:47 PM »
I think Nike is, like, totally trippin’ out on the covid curbs, brahhh..

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #627 on: March 18, 2022, 07:22:52 PM »
I got served the fuck up trying switch slappies after work today. Those may not be happening anytime soon, if ever….

cky enthusiast

« Reply #628 on: March 18, 2022, 07:38:25 PM »
trips as in stumbles, curbs as in “lockdown measurements”, russia pulling out of something or other due to their international wilding out

whoever wrote that headline should be shot

cky enthusiast

« Reply #629 on: March 18, 2022, 07:40:29 PM »
“nike (stock) stumbles due to covid lockdown measurements in china, russian sanctions”

*juicy j voice* give me half da check bitch