Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 91217 times)

manysnakes

Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #690 on: May 25, 2022, 07:22:00 AM »
I’m not particularly good but I swear that a slappy crook is basically the easiest trick you can perform on a curb. I have no particular advice for how to do them but I feel like, if I can do them, anyone should be able to.

HaveFunSkateboarding

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #691 on: May 25, 2022, 07:38:52 AM »
I’m not particularly good but I swear that a slappy crook is basically the easiest trick you can perform on a curb. I have no particular advice for how to do them but I feel like, if I can do them, anyone should be able to.

I feel the same way. I’ve been skating forever and love it but I’m not actually great at it. A few years ago I made it a goal to figure out backside 50/50 slappies. I got them. Frontside is another story. I’ve done a couple shitty ones but I’ll seriously have to try those for weeks to get one (a couple sessions a week).
Once I figured out backside crooked grind slappies I couldn’t believe how easy they became for me. I don’t even have to think about them when I try them (again, I pretty much suck at skating). I worked with my friend I grew up skating with (I’m 43 he’s 46) and while he’s still getting comfortable with them, he’s been successful with them too.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #692 on: May 25, 2022, 08:21:49 AM »
you just kinda lift the trucks up. it is just a matter of learning to do it quickly to make it look nice. i thought it was cheating at first but that is really all there is to it. the more you can keep your foot off the tail the better it looks but you really just need the tiniest lift of the tail just to get the board going the right direction into the wall, the bend in the nose should be enough to send you up once it rams into the wall but you want to try and just give it a little lift if you can. some people are really good at forcing the board into the wall and making the nose go up the right way it all has to do with the way they carve into it.

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 26
« Reply #693 on: May 25, 2022, 08:34:31 AM »
Expand Quote
ive been trying crooks for a couple sessions (like the whole session). and ive grinded a solid crook grove into my truck. but i have yet to actually land one. i just cant get out of them. will never get why everyone here in my city can do slappy crooks but not a simple 50-50.
[close]

In the same boat. I can slappy 50 and nosegrind and Smith but can't for the life of me do a slappy crook

slappy crook is easy... imagine you do a carve nosegrind on a quarter - and do the same movement at the curb.
The trick is just in you toes. Backfoot placement is just for decoration / holding the balance once you reach the crooked
position.

on the other side i have absolutely no idea how to to a Smith at a curb. Its way to low to log in????

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #694 on: May 25, 2022, 09:17:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
ive been trying crooks for a couple sessions (like the whole session). and ive grinded a solid crook grove into my truck. but i have yet to actually land one. i just cant get out of them. will never get why everyone here in my city can do slappy crooks but not a simple 50-50.
[close]

In the same boat. I can slappy 50 and nosegrind and Smith but can't for the life of me do a slappy crook
[close]

slappy crook is easy... imagine you do a carve nosegrind on a quarter - and do the same movement at the curb.
The trick is just in you toes. Backfoot placement is just for decoration / holding the balance once you reach the crooked
position.

on the other side i have absolutely no idea how to to a Smith at a curb. Its way to low to log in????

i cant hold a slappy smith for more than a couple feet at the very most but its doable if you can slappy 50

@1:44 just watch the kid do them over and over. i do everything the same as a slappy 50 but over rotate my hips/shoulders and put more weight on my back heel once im in.

disclosed

• Rep: 186
« Reply #695 on: May 25, 2022, 09:51:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel the same way. I’ve been skating forever and love it but I’m not actually great at it. A few years ago I made it a goal to figure out backside 50/50 slappies. I got them. Frontside is another story. I’ve done a couple shitty ones but I’ll seriously have to try those for weeks to get one (a couple sessions a week).
Once I figured out backside crooked grind slappies I couldn’t believe how easy they became for me. I don’t even have to think about them when I try them (again, I pretty much suck at skating). I worked with my friend I grew up skating with (I’m 43 he’s 46) and while he’s still getting comfortable with them, he’s been successful with them too.

i'm the opposite you you guys i guess. i figured frontside 50's out in one session. think i managed to get onto the curb first try even. backside is a little harder, i can do them but they take effort. crooks are a nightmare. (i might've landed them already if i had a parking block and i could just go off the end tho)

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

position.

[close]

i cant hold a slappy smith for more than a couple feet at the very most but its doable if you can slappy 50

@1:44 just watch the kid do them over and over. i do everything the same as a slappy 50 but over rotate my hips/shoulders and put more weight on my back heel once im in.

yeah thats how i do Smiths too. overrotating a 50/50. i dont have em super solid cause i skate really front foot heavy and its hard to go all backfoot for me. but i can do them sometimes ateast. unlike crooks..

djoekr

• Rep: 322
« Reply #696 on: May 25, 2022, 10:06:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i'm the opposite you you guys i guess. i figured frontside 50's out in one session. think i managed to get onto the curb first try even. backside is a little harder, i can do them but they take effort. crooks are a nightmare. (i might've landed them already if i had a parking block and i could just go off the end tho)

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

position.

[close]

[close]

yeah thats how i do Smiths too. overrotating a 50/50. i dont have em super solid cause i skate really front foot heavy and its hard to go all backfoot for me. but i can do them sometimes ateast. unlike crooks..

Exactly the same here. Slappy front 50s are definitely the trick that comes the easiest for me, but any backside grinds/slides except for nose and boardslide feel like I'm about to die. Slappy front crook also took me a long time and even now I'm not good at holding them as long as my 50s. Feebles/Smiths seem way easier to me.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Knee Pain

• Rep: 42
« Reply #697 on: May 26, 2022, 01:27:02 AM »
Finally managed to land a few bs noseslides last night, and got into a few crooks… but didn’t land any. I’ve been able
To do bs and fs 50s for a while but noseslides are so much harder/scarier than they look.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #698 on: May 26, 2022, 08:10:30 AM »
george poulos is a vlogger kook but his slappy crook tutorial on youtube is actually really good

once you get the crook it becomes the easiest slappy, but its very counter-intuitive at first

my mantra is this: all you need to do is pop one wheel up on the curb. that's it. just one wheel.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #699 on: May 26, 2022, 08:19:41 AM »
george poulos is a vlogger kook but his slappy crook tutorial on youtube is actually really good

once you get the crook it becomes the easiest slappy, but its very counter-intuitive at first

my mantra is this: all you need to do is pop one wheel up on the curb. that's it. just one wheel.

I second this, I checked his video and it was helpful. I'd describe him more as a vlogger dork than a vlogger kook

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #700 on: May 26, 2022, 08:21:13 AM »
for guys struggling with bs slappy: if your curb has any sort of slant at all, try to do a slappy bs 5-0 first. you can put a lot of pressure on the tail and cruise right up the curb once you learn how to slash it. just be very careful, you can really slide out onto your hip / bum. you might under or over rotate at first a lot, but 5-0 doesnt matter. then once you learn how to really steer it to the exact angle you want you can put down your front truck.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #701 on: May 26, 2022, 10:54:30 AM »
for guys struggling with bs slappy: if your curb has any sort of slant at all, try to do a slappy bs 5-0 first. you can put a lot of pressure on the tail and cruise right up the curb once you learn how to slash it. just be very careful, you can really slide out onto your hip / bum. you might under or over rotate at first a lot, but 5-0 doesnt matter. then once you learn how to really steer it to the exact angle you want you can put down your front truck.
This is how I learned em and how I still kinda do em. I just approached the curb as if I were doing a bs slash grind on a quarter pipe, so my front truck hits first and then my back truck and then my front truck lifts up a bit as if I were going to 5-0 and then comes right back down. Having a curb with the slightest slant on it helps as well. I feel like there are two main ways to learn bs slappies: you can either learn em this way (the quarter pipe way) or the wallride way, where you approach it like you were going to do a bs wallride. Either way works.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #702 on: May 27, 2022, 09:50:03 AM »
Getting closer to nose slide to crooks- I can sometimes get into crooks after a very short nose slide but I really want to be able to slide for a bit and then switch. Kinda did yesterday but then didn’t roll away. Anyone got tips?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #703 on: May 27, 2022, 12:26:03 PM »
I went to grind my usual slappy curb with my new trucks and couldn't get any back 50/50s. Breaking in new trucks sucks.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #704 on: May 28, 2022, 05:57:04 AM »
Getting closer to nose slide to crooks- I can sometimes get into crooks after a very short nose slide but I really want to be able to slide for a bit and then switch. Kinda did yesterday but then didn’t roll away. Anyone got tips?

I find I need to get down a little lower than a normal noseslide, then when sliding and well balanced almost "bounce" it up into the grind, so being lower it is easier to get into that position and hold it for longer as well.

The bounce I would liken to popping off out of a nose slide, only you are pushing it up into the grind rather than off the curb.

Weight is still on the front foot, but push down a tiny bit on the back so the board dips a bit which then gives you the almost nollie like motion to get the board back up and into the grind.

The getting off the curb at the end rolling away forwards is also a shifting of weight, similar to a nollie but more of a push and bounce forward and out a touch from the curb, weight being from front toe to back heel in a shifty motion to balance it out and not have the board tip over.

Hope that helps a bit.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #705 on: May 28, 2022, 06:59:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I find I need to get down a little lower than a normal noseslide, then when sliding and well balanced almost "bounce" it up into the grind, so being lower it is easier to get into that position and hold it for longer as well.

The bounce I would liken to popping off out of a nose slide, only you are pushing it up into the grind rather than off the curb.

Weight is still on the front foot, but push down a tiny bit on the back so the board dips a bit which then gives you the almost nollie like motion to get the board back up and into the grind.

The getting off the curb at the end rolling away forwards is also a shifting of weight, similar to a nollie but more of a push and bounce forward and out a touch from the curb, weight being from front toe to back heel in a shifty motion to balance it out and not have the board tip over.

Hope that helps a bit.
Ok thanks I’ll see if this works

disclosed

« Reply #706 on: May 28, 2022, 12:59:38 PM »
i finally landed some slappy crooks. man its been a chalange..
honsetly i think the curbs here just aint good for them. especially bad for learning. found one place i could get into them perfectly and shorty after i started landing them.
the curbs i have here are only 2 options since its rare to find grindable curbs in my country.

one is really slanted, and super skinny (dirt on the other side). super easy to get into but my nose kept goin over into the dirt there. that one is also downhill wich didnt help mentally.

or high, like low ledge hight. like twice as high as a normal curb. way harder to get into them. have to lift my nose there. and while i ginded sometimes my balance was off all the time there.

now on the high curb i later figured the first and last bocks are slanted. so they start at normal curb hight and then go up.. so i started to try going on them there and that was way easier. and got me to land some.

manysnakes

« Reply #707 on: May 28, 2022, 01:18:20 PM »
I went to grind my usual slappy curb with my new trucks and couldn't get any back 50/50s. Breaking in new trucks sucks.

This happened with Royals. People keep saying it’ll get better but I keep skating them and they don’t. Pulled the trigger on some AF-1s and hopefully this solves my slappy dilemma.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #708 on: May 28, 2022, 01:24:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This happened with Royals. People keep saying it’ll get better but I keep skating them and they don’t. Pulled the trigger on some AF-1s and hopefully this solves my slappy dilemma.

Strange. I learned back 50s on Indy 144s, and immediately got them on the Lurpiv 149s so I can‘t see a reason they shouldn‘t work on the Indy 149s. But that‘s the theory. I can‘t afford to lose tricks, my bag is shallow enough with the ones I got.
why come?

JMSneep

• Rep: 147
« Reply #709 on: May 28, 2022, 04:19:57 PM »
Luckily i have a slappy curb at my local spot, at first i thought it was too wide to do pop over tricks, but now I figured it out and learning new tricks almost every session.

Here's one of my latest ones:

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 604
« Reply #710 on: May 28, 2022, 04:46:06 PM »
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #711 on: May 28, 2022, 04:47:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I went Indy to ace AF1 and completely lost my slappies. The turn fully threw off my timing. Ended up just putting them on my cruiser boar

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 233
« Reply #712 on: May 28, 2022, 05:55:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I went Indy to ace AF1 and completely lost my slappies. The turn fully threw off my timing. Ended up just putting them on my cruiser boar

My Indys grind just a touch nicer, but I love the carve into slappies on my Aces. I’m switching all my set-ups over to Ace
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

manysnakes

« Reply #713 on: May 28, 2022, 06:22:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Strange. I learned back 50s on Indy 144s, and immediately got them on the Lurpiv 149s so I can‘t see a reason they shouldn‘t work on the Indy 149s. But that‘s the theory. I can‘t afford to lose tricks, my bag is shallow enough with the ones I got.

To be clear, it's not the change of truck geometry or anything. I just found that the grind on the Royals wasn't as good, and I wasn't able to glide through the curbs like I was with my Indys.

manysnakes

« Reply #714 on: May 28, 2022, 06:24:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

My Indys grind just a touch nicer, but I love the carve into slappies on my Aces. I’m switching all my set-ups over to Ace

Yeah, my best slappys and some of my best adult skating was on Ace Classics. Excited to see if the AF1s are as much fun as the Classics were.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #715 on: May 28, 2022, 11:32:23 PM »
I couldn’t do switch crooks on my ventures but new ace lo’s, no problem….the turning radius helps.  The quick swerve in, plus how easily the hanger twists to get to crook….

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 89
« Reply #716 on: May 28, 2022, 11:43:47 PM »
has lurpiv put out a rerun yet/fixed the problems people were having with them? i really want to try them but i don’t want to spend a hundred bucks if the axle is going to break or have whatever other problems people were experiencing.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #717 on: May 28, 2022, 11:58:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

To be clear, it's not the change of truck geometry or anything. I just found that the grind on the Royals wasn't as good, and I wasn't able to glide through the curbs like I was with my Indys.

I see. The Indys def. grind well on fs 50/50s and back crooks I just can‘t lock into back 50/50s anymore. I guess I run the Indys a tad looser than the Lurpivs, might have to adjust.

The Indys are just overall a more massive truck than the „filigrane“ Lurpivs and have more heft. I guess they are heavier too even if I have the hollows, but in the end I had certainly ground 50grams out of my Lurpivs and left them on the curbs.
why come?

disclosed

« Reply #718 on: May 29, 2022, 12:38:52 AM »
Luckily i have a slappy curb at my local spot, at first i thought it was too wide to do pop over tricks, but now I figured it out and learning new tricks almost every session.

Here's one of my latest ones:

i saw that video. nice.

the crack in that curb messes with me sometimes. most of the time it goes well, and them randomly it catches my back truck on a 50 sending my flying.
i had been meaning to go there all month now since i really dedicated most my sessions to learning crooks and this one its easy to get into and all the locals there can all do them and could give some tips. but i ended up not going each time. havn't been to the city in a couple months now.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #719 on: May 29, 2022, 05:00:49 AM »
This thread isn't my usual territory as I'm really not a slappy guy or a curb skater, but this little hump at a park I visited was too tempting not to have a go at.

Have to say it was super satisfying getting over it, and makes me think I should try this stuff more often. Much admiration  for the slappy slap-pals, its not as easy as it looks!