Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 91202 times)

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #720 on: May 29, 2022, 06:27:07 AM »
Any advice for learning to slappy on those parking lot blocks where the sides are vertical at the bottom, and then diagonal before being flat at the top.

I feel like I shouldn't be but I am really struggling getting into it. The geometry is psyching me out for some reason, not sure why.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Easy Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #721 on: May 29, 2022, 07:41:50 AM »
Any advice for learning to slappy on those parking lot blocks where the sides are vertical at the bottom, and then diagonal before being flat at the top.

I feel like I shouldn't be but I am really struggling getting into it. The geometry is psyching me out for some reason, not sure why.

It‘s the same as a curb only the risk of slipping over it and eating shit is increased. But they are super fun.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #722 on: May 29, 2022, 07:46:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I went to grind my usual slappy curb with my new trucks and couldn't get any back 50/50s. Breaking in new trucks sucks.
[close]

This happened with Royals. People keep saying it’ll get better but I keep skating them and they don’t. Pulled the trigger on some AF-1s and hopefully this solves my slappy dilemma.
[close]

Strange. I learned back 50s on Indy 144s, and immediately got them on the Lurpiv 149s so I can‘t see a reason they shouldn‘t work on the Indy 149s. But that‘s the theory. I can‘t afford to lose tricks, my bag is shallow enough with the ones I got.
[close]

To be clear, it's not the change of truck geometry or anything. I just found that the grind on the Royals wasn't as good, and I wasn't able to glide through the curbs like I was with my Indys.
[close]

I see. The Indys def. grind well on fs 50/50s and back crooks I just can‘t lock into back 50/50s anymore. I guess I run the Indys a tad looser than the Lurpivs, might have to adjust.

The Indys are just overall a more massive truck than the „filigrane“ Lurpivs and have more heft. I guess they are heavier too even if I have the hollows, but in the end I had certainly ground 50grams out of my Lurpivs and left them on the curbs.

Quoting myself to follow up on this. Today I went back to my curb, all alone. Only me and the curb. Mano a mano. And finally I got my back 50/50s back. Super stoked. I also got a nice bs crook to fakie and even managed to lock into some front crooks, the next slappy I want to work out. The grind on the Indys is fantastic.
why come?

Hefe43

• Rep: 175
« Reply #723 on: May 29, 2022, 12:20:58 PM »

My tailbone hates those parking blocks
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #724 on: May 29, 2022, 01:47:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Funny, those things were really helpful for me when I was first figuring out slappy 5050s. The extra angle makes getting on a little easier. Never really had a problem slipping out over the top either. But parking blocks can very a lot from place to place. I’ve seen some that are huge and I can’t get up them. I’ve seen others that are super narrow, and in that case I do actually worry about slipping out. In Texas they also have some that are extremely fat and low. Those things suck. Not because of sliding out but just because they’re too wide to lock in nicely and they’re too low to boardslide. So idk, maybe try scoping out some more blocks till you find one that’s a shape you like?

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #725 on: May 29, 2022, 03:47:32 PM »
There’s 2 parking blocks in the parking lot by my house, no rebar holding it down, just sitting on the grass. I’m gonna go with a dolly tonight or tomorrow and wheel it back to my house. Hoping to have a good driveway set up within the next week lol

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #726 on: May 29, 2022, 04:03:40 PM »
There’s 2 parking blocks in the parking lot by my house, no rebar holding it down, just sitting on the grass. I’m gonna go with a dolly tonight or tomorrow and wheel it back to my house. Hoping to have a good driveway set up within the next week lol

I think I've heard those things can actually be kind of fragile and crumbly so make sure you're not being too careless when transporting. Good luck!
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Hefe43

« Reply #727 on: May 29, 2022, 04:35:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Funny, those things were really helpful for me when I was first figuring out slappy 5050s. The extra angle makes getting on a little easier. Never really had a problem slipping out over the top either. But parking blocks can very a lot from place to place. I’ve seen some that are huge and I can’t get up them. I’ve seen others that are super narrow, and in that case I do actually worry about slipping out. In Texas they also have some that are extremely fat and low. Those things suck. Not because of sliding out but just because they’re too wide to lock in nicely and they’re too low to boardslide. So idk, maybe try scoping out some more blocks till you find one that’s a shape you like?

I’ll make (prep) a curb before I skate one of those other ones. I actually have a 6 foot one but that’s been neglected for a flatbar I bought. 

I actually know how to slappy but my tailbone wanted me to mention it to you guys

This Thing Of Ours

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #728 on: May 29, 2022, 09:47:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Same some of my worst slams have been on those. Double sided curbs in general tbh. Nothing like going mach 10 for a fs slappy and not locking in with your front truck and going into front board lol.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #729 on: May 30, 2022, 07:14:35 AM »
i go for front 5050, slide into losi, then front lip on those and just fucking slam
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #730 on: May 30, 2022, 07:55:52 AM »
i go for front 5050, slide into losi, then front lip on those and just fucking slam
But if you could ride one of those out it would be so fucking sick

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #731 on: May 30, 2022, 08:01:06 AM »

I learned frontside lipslides on a parking block like this and I remember slipping out and taking a full parking block to the spine like I was crucified on the cross. Still haunts me.

animalflesh

« Reply #732 on: May 30, 2022, 08:23:07 AM »
If you weight on to your front foot after your truck makes contact you can just pivot into a lip slide no problem

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #733 on: May 31, 2022, 07:01:21 PM »

A little slappy crooks at my favorite curb. Trying to work on holding them longer and controlling when I come out.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
« Reply #734 on: May 31, 2022, 07:24:49 PM »

A little slappy crooks at my favorite curb. Trying to work on holding them longer and controlling when I come out.
Looks good.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #735 on: May 31, 2022, 10:44:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Looks good.

Beautiful curb, beautiful crook.
why come?

Hefe43

« Reply #736 on: June 01, 2022, 01:51:41 AM »

Damn. That looks sick, I understand now when someone said earlier about lifting a little bit to get you up the curb. I thought you had to smash into it like a slappy 50-50

I’m gonna have to try that  :o

This Thing Of Ours

MC3

• Rep: 139
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #737 on: June 02, 2022, 08:35:21 AM »
So my roommates and I poured some curbs in our basement this winter, and we just now got them painted and put a tiny amount of lacquer on them. We dropped them off at the spot yesterday, and they grinded great for the first 3 or 4 slappies, but then started to get real crusty. We put some wax on them to try and get them going, but now we are wondering if it's too late to put another coat of lacquer on them. Can you lacquer it if it's been waxed?
(Cool Trick GIF)

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #738 on: June 02, 2022, 09:00:59 AM »
So my roommates and I poured some curbs in our basement this winter, and we just now got them painted and put a tiny amount of lacquer on them. We dropped them off at the spot yesterday, and they grinded great for the first 3 or 4 slappies, but then started to get real crusty. We put some wax on them to try and get them going, but now we are wondering if it's too late to put another coat of lacquer on them. Can you lacquer it if it's been waxed?

yes you can lacquer on top of wax

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #739 on: June 02, 2022, 09:23:18 AM »
i know a guy who has a parking block in his driveway, and he says he sprays it down with a fresh coat of clear enamel after almost every session. so yeah, go for it. it might not adhere perfectly if its on top of wax, but it all contributes toward sealing the thing up and keeping it slick

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #740 on: June 02, 2022, 07:01:08 PM »
I’m a frontside dude when ollieing, and a backside dude when slapping a curb up. Gonna work on the frontside fifty’s but front crook slappys just seem fucked up
The chillest1

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #741 on: June 02, 2022, 07:04:49 PM »
Just started showing this curb some love after a winter/spring of neglect
https://youtube.com/shorts/ComFnsToSfw?feature=share

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #742 on: June 02, 2022, 07:08:03 PM »

That crook shuv it out is so dope

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #743 on: June 03, 2022, 02:46:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Dude rad I’m gonna have to try that last trick!

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #744 on: June 03, 2022, 04:18:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Dude rad I’m gonna have to try that last trick!
Thanks guys. That power slide tail slide thing is mad easy especially after a couple slappys and you have some excess wax on the wheels already. It felt really cool though

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #745 on: June 03, 2022, 04:29:18 AM »

Expand Quote
[close]

I spent three entire afternoons to get a clip of a bs crook to regular less clean than yours. Makes me wonder how long did you have to try the shuv out?
why come?

djoekr

• Rep: 322
« Reply #746 on: June 07, 2022, 02:19:04 PM »
Seriously, why do Europeans call any ledge a curb? I've seen so many 'curbs' that are actually knee high ledges by now. Even when translated to Dutch the meaning is very obvious. I really don't get how this is so deeply rooted in our culture.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #747 on: June 07, 2022, 03:18:26 PM »
Seriously, why do Europeans call any ledge a curb? I've seen so many 'curbs' that are actually knee high ledges by now. Even when translated to Dutch the meaning is very obvious. I really don't get how this is so deeply rooted in our culture.

I've been asking that for years. When I started skating as a kid (in Austria), I basically learned all the obstacle names from the older dudes and a "grind box" was always called curb. I only realized a few years ago what curb actually means. I've also never heard anybody use the word "Hubba" ever in my life.

Some people even call a huge bank to ledge a curb here. I'm sure many people know better, but can't be bothered to correct everybody, just like me.

Edit: From titus.de, which is a huge source of information for beginners and I guess every skater. Translated to english by google:

"Everything is called a curb or ledge – from a park bench to a self-made wooden box with metal edges. Such obstacles offer all possibilities for grinding and sliding.
"
https://www.titus.de/blog/wiki/skateboard-guide/obstacle-abc/curbledge/

Skatedeluxe also says something similar. This curb=ledge thing won't go away anytime soon unfortunately
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 03:27:55 PM by goodatmeth »

djoekr

• Rep: 322
« Reply #748 on: June 07, 2022, 03:54:48 PM »
Damn wasn't aware that even the Titus and Skatedeluxe sites called them that way. Kinda makes sense though as I've seen Titus videos labeled as curb skating that were just a collection of ledge tricks. I've actually been meaning to start my own online mag with a friend of mine and my sole mission from now on is to get people to acknowledge the difference between curbs and ledges.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #749 on: June 07, 2022, 05:58:49 PM »
When I lived in the Netherlands I also thought it was a lil bit odd that the locals referred to bowls as 'pools'

Similar to kids all calling any transition vert, when they have no idea what a vert ramp actually is in person because there were so few of them around where I grew up and most skateparks had max 5 foot transitions which were definitely not vert.

Back to curbs though, is there more a preference to skate single side or double side / stand alone curbs, or more just whatever you find and can get your skate on without getting kicked out?

Single sided curbs are everywhere round here, but double sided are really only in places like shopping centre carparks which usually have a high bust factor, but so worth it if you can get a sneaky session in from time to time.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.