Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 91197 times)

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #990 on: October 11, 2022, 07:56:20 AM »

Just before your wheels hit, (& this is the key bit!) push the board slightly in front of you and unweight the front foot so the front wheels are weightless as they actually hit the curb and can ride up.

this really helped me for both fs and bs

i am really trying to learn noseslide > crook right now. getting pretty close. feels hard with 53mm wheels but i am sure that should not be an issue. just need to pop a bit higher out of the nosesldie, maybe should just work on noseslide pop outs for a bit. was just thinking maybe i should start thinking of it more like a noseslide pop over

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 179
« Reply #991 on: October 16, 2022, 04:51:58 PM »
cross post,
Learning fs slappy crooks 2nd day trying and slowly getting there. The tip above is defiantly the key.
Also, fuck knows how to imbed a YouTube clip.
https://youtube.com/shorts/pRhTkmiMPhk?feature=share

swanronson

• Rep: -27
« Reply #992 on: October 16, 2022, 05:00:35 PM »
cross post,
Learning fs slappy crooks 2nd day trying and slowly getting there. The tip above is defiantly the key.

Looking on point!

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #993 on: October 16, 2022, 05:11:16 PM »
Expand Quote

Just before your wheels hit, (& this is the key bit!) push the board slightly in front of you and unweight the front foot so the front wheels are weightless as they actually hit the curb and can ride up.

[close]

this really helped me for both fs and bs

i am really trying to learn noseslide > crook right now. getting pretty close. feels hard with 53mm wheels but i am sure that should not be an issue. just need to pop a bit higher out of the nosesldie, maybe should just work on noseslide pop outs for a bit. was just thinking maybe i should start thinking of it more like a noseslide pop over
I’ve finally got a handle on them and it might just be me, but I don’t think you need to pop. I know a lot of people say you have to (in fact if you scroll back I asked this question and got that response a few months ago). But if you watch what people are doing, lots of people I’ve seen are just turning their front foot. Go back to old 90s ledge dance era vids- it’s the same, no one pops anything. Sure if you’re Louie Lopez then yeah pop into it.

FWIW, here’s my method- wax the shit outta the curb, go really fast, nose slide, lean back and lean over the curb. Like ALL your weight back and on top. The trick pretty much does itself at that point. YMMV, again just learned them.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #994 on: October 16, 2022, 11:02:59 PM »
Usually I can bs crook a small curb but yesterday I skated one I just could not get up. 50/50s worked tho. I have no idea what the problem was. I just kept smashing into noseslides. A buddy who can do crooks on ledges (I can‘t) could get up into them no problem but I believe he slightly lifted the board/no pop ollied into them.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #995 on: October 16, 2022, 11:23:46 PM »
I think a key things to all thing with any slappy tricks which involve your truck is trying to get the right angle or contact point for your truck and the curb….regular backside I hang my back toe and push down in the respective pocket…that tilt allows my front truck to be angled and connect with the curb….switch I need even more leverage so I hang both toes and grind with my back heel. 

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #996 on: October 17, 2022, 12:50:45 AM »
cross post,

Looking legit. Congrats

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #997 on: October 17, 2022, 12:55:06 AM »
Dialled!!!

Glad I could help!

Groondor the Orc

• Rep: -139
  • Doper than Joey Bast’s shelltoes
« Reply #998 on: October 17, 2022, 01:20:48 AM »
...just turning their front foot.

This is all it takes. Get into a fast locked noseslide standing right over the curb, then just twist your front foot until your heel is over the curb and you're crooked grinding.

You can spend years trying to hop from noseslide into crook and get nowhere but if you just work on twisting your foot into place you'll probably learn them in half an hour.

djoekr

• Rep: 322
« Reply #999 on: October 17, 2022, 02:16:48 AM »
cross post,

Normally you'd delete the 's' in https, but I don't think you can embed YouTube Shorts. Nice front crook though, I can get in them but I find it hard to hold them for long grinds. I don't really practice them that much, but I'm gonna give it another try after reading the rest of the advice in this thread.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1000 on: October 17, 2022, 07:27:20 AM »
hmm i will have to try that "just turn it" trick again. i have heard people say that before but it doesnt seem to work for me. seems like i just start turning out of the noseslide and the wheels just smoosh against the curb.

Groondor the Orc

• Rep: -139
  • Doper than Joey Bast’s shelltoes
« Reply #1001 on: October 17, 2022, 08:29:19 AM »
hmm i will have to try that "just turn it" trick again. i have heard people say that before but it doesnt seem to work for me. seems like i just start turning out of the noseslide and the wheels just smoosh against the curb.

You're probably not lifting your back foot. You gotta get right over the curb and twist like you're going into a nose manny while lifting your back foot up high to let the board go where it should. Give it a try!

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1002 on: October 19, 2022, 03:29:44 PM »
OK! so today i wasnt even really feeling like skating cause it was completely rain storm when i left for work. when lunch came ,it was somewhow absolutely dry. so i try this trick full speed. what i now realize... you need to do the turn while you still have the speed! and if you turn too fast and lift your foot too much then it goes out of control. have to turn it kind of medium speed and not over exaggerate your foot. i got some wack ones today but i am gonna keep working on it and try and improve it :)

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1003 on: October 19, 2022, 04:25:11 PM »
OK! so today i wasnt even really feeling like skating cause it was completely rain storm when i left for work. when lunch came ,it was somewhow absolutely dry. so i try this trick full speed. what i now realize... you need to do the turn while you still have the speed! and if you turn too fast and lift your foot too much then it goes out of control. have to turn it kind of medium speed and not over exaggerate your foot. i got some wack ones today but i am gonna keep working on it and try and improve it :)
Rad!

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1004 on: October 19, 2022, 10:11:59 PM »
Anyone else fuck their knees up slappying? I recently started skating exclusively curbs due to a new local hot spot and didn't really jump or pop for a couple weeks.  My right knee started feeling sketchy and I have a hunch its because of me jamming myself into curbs non stop. Maybe I have horrible technique because isn't this usually for people who are too hurt to ollie? Been back skating ledges and things that need me to pop and my knee is already feeling better.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1005 on: October 20, 2022, 12:05:01 AM »
Anyone else fuck their knees up slappying? I recently started skating exclusively curbs due to a new local hot spot and didn't really jump or pop for a couple weeks.  My right knee started feeling sketchy and I have a hunch its because of me jamming myself into curbs non stop. Maybe I have horrible technique because isn't this usually for people who are too hurt to ollie? Been back skating ledges and things that need me to pop and my knee is already feeling better.

I have jumpers knee, so every motion that includes bending the knees hurt the day after. But I found that popping made my knee pain worse than slappies.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 233
« Reply #1006 on: October 20, 2022, 12:52:39 AM »

Maybe the technique. My slappies are pretty gentle and low-impact. I’m not ‘slamming’ my board into the curb as much as very subtly lightening it at the moment of impact to help it up on top.

Although I do have to be a bit more aggressive the higher the curb is.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Knee Pain

• Rep: 42
« Reply #1007 on: October 20, 2022, 01:31:53 AM »
Switched back to conical fulls after skating classics for a few months. Slappies are a little harder to get into, but the lock in and ability to hold crooks in particular is way better.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1008 on: October 20, 2022, 03:57:22 AM »

i have learned to go a lot lighter on my feet and let the board do most of the work just as a result of naturally not wanting to hurt myself. but i was having this same pain for awhile because of the way i was jamming it into the wall so hard, i still get it on switch knee a little bit. reg bs slappy is my most comfortable one so this one feels pretty good, but switch bs i still have to jam a bit.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1009 on: October 20, 2022, 07:19:02 AM »
Word. I also think it's my technique. I've been going overboard with slappy feebles on the double side curb. I try to tweak it out and tend to lean on my back knee a ton and yanking out mid curb. I think thats been the extra stress on the problematic knee.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1010 on: October 24, 2022, 11:31:15 AM »
Word. I also think it's my technique. I've been going overboard with slappy feebles on the double side curb. I try to tweak it out and tend to lean on my back knee a ton and yanking out mid curb. I think thats been the extra stress on the problematic knee.

i almost do a tiny little "hop" now, im not sure if thats wack or not but it feels like i just glide right up it

man i am getting a lot better on this noseslide to crook now, really hyped. what i realized i was lacking was i wasnt really turning my shoulders at all. i was just trying to turn my lower body. i think i could do noseslide to 5050 now too.

i think you need to have a pretty long curb for this trick, or its more ideal anyway

in sad news... a skater seeking revenge on me did this because i blocked him :

i will not seek revenge though. that wont bring the spot back. I will be the bigger man and fix it.

manysnakes

« Reply #1011 on: October 24, 2022, 11:40:04 AM »

i will not seek revenge though. that wont bring the spot back. I will be the bigger man and fix it.

What the fuck? Blocked him on like social media? And they respond this way? That person is fucking psychotic.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1012 on: October 24, 2022, 11:46:59 AM »
yeah man. it is really fucked up. long story but i think i was one of the only friends he had and was keeping him grounded somewhat. but he was treating me like absolute shit and telling me he wanted nothing to do with me ever again multiple times... a person can only take so mcuh so i blocked him. i thought that was what he wanted.

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #1013 on: October 24, 2022, 11:48:13 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What the fuck? Blocked him on like social media? And they respond this way? That person is fucking psychotic.
Damn dude that’s fucked! Didn’t know blocking someone on the gram was that serious. That’s on some psycho ex girlfriend shit. 

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1014 on: October 24, 2022, 11:49:11 AM »
i think i need to just focus on how i am going to fix it at this point. maybe i should just get some quick crete?

TheDingus

« Reply #1015 on: October 24, 2022, 12:02:56 PM »
Depending how deep those gouges are, you may be able to either angle grind them smooth or rub brick them. If they are deep, you can try to use some steel stick and clear coat over it. Bondo will work too but it’s more temporary. No matter how you patch it make sure to let it dry properly and get a brush on lacquer to seal it.

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1016 on: October 24, 2022, 07:23:37 PM »
Expand Quote
...just turning their front foot.
[close]

This is all it takes. Get into a fast locked noseslide standing right over the curb, then just twist your front foot until your heel is over the curb and you're crooked grinding.

You can spend years trying to hop from noseslide into crook and get nowhere but if you just work on twisting your foot into place you'll probably learn them in half an hour.

I think it also helps to try and get in the noseslide with your toes pointed a bit forward, which helps your foot turn easier into a crooks.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1017 on: October 25, 2022, 08:36:28 AM »
Depending how deep those gouges are, you may be able to either angle grind them smooth or rub brick them. If they are deep, you can try to use some steel stick and clear coat over it. Bondo will work too but it’s more temporary. No matter how you patch it make sure to let it dry properly and get a brush on lacquer to seal it.

the one in the corner is very deep. i dont think a rub brick is enough. it would take probably 3-4 packs of steel stick to patch it...

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -314
« Reply #1018 on: October 25, 2022, 09:00:59 AM »
RSVP your curb, that sucks. What kind of psycho does that?!?!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 11:36:45 AM by backside_frontside »

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1019 on: October 25, 2022, 11:21:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

the one in the corner is very deep. i dont think a rub brick is enough. it would take probably 3-4 packs of steel stick to patch it...

wow what a psycho. Sorry to hear