Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 91226 times)

HASHZOOT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
  • I actually don’t even smoke weed.
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #1140 on: May 18, 2023, 01:40:42 AM »
In the wild - Y'all hot girls!

Phillyflared

• Rep: 40
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1141 on: May 27, 2023, 11:24:39 AM »
I've been skating this curb spot I found and waxed up for a couple years since Covid. Started w/one red curb and then kept adding and now i have/had a fun little spot w/ about 4 good curbs you can hit.
But a couple weekends ago, i cruised over to skate and see the building re-painted the red curb. Left all the others which is hilarious. So I reverted back to my 17yr old skate brain, said fuck this and re-waxed and skated. Felt like they didn't even wash the layers of wax off, just sprayed right over. Haha. Didn't think too much of it and went on w/ my skate.

I head back up there the next weekend and see they re-re-painted it again. Wasn't expecting that. Now, I'm kinda bummed as this spot has been so good for me to just go skate and not worry about crowds at the local. But now I'm thinking the building has had enough of me...so, do i continue to fight the battle or time to find a new spot? Or someone could send me a pin of good solid curb spot in LB area...

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #1142 on: May 27, 2023, 11:32:06 AM »
I've been skating this curb spot I found and waxed up for a couple years since Covid. Started w/one red curb and then kept adding and now i have/had a fun little spot w/ about 4 good curbs you can hit.
But a couple weekends ago, i cruised over to skate and see the building re-painted the red curb. Left all the others which is hilarious. So I reverted back to my 17yr old skate brain, said fuck this and re-waxed and skated. Felt like they didn't even wash the layers of wax off, just sprayed right over. Haha. Didn't think too much of it and went on w/ my skate.

I head back up there the next weekend and see they re-re-painted it again. Wasn't expecting that. Now, I'm kinda bummed as this spot has been so good for me to just go skate and not worry about crowds at the local. But now I'm thinking the building has had enough of me...so, do i continue to fight the battle or time to find a new spot? Or someone could send me a pin of good solid curb spot in LB area...
Damn I would just keep skating the 3 good curbs until someone actually confronts me.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #1143 on: May 27, 2023, 12:06:51 PM »
I’ve been in this situation before. I would take a break from the spot or at least be very cautious before you skate. Maybe stick to the other curbs for a bit. Avoiding confrontation and being elusive will eventually make them forget about it. Old people love being pissed about someone squatting on their property. Always best to be semi invisible as to not arouse suspicion.
Expand Quote

[close]
Damn I would just keep skating the 3 good curbs until someone actually confronts me.

biaherl

• Rep: 270
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #1144 on: May 27, 2023, 12:20:24 PM »

They're probably about to sell the building

I skate a curb that has maintenance crews and cops drive and walk by all the time, I'll keep skating it until they make it a problem

Drive your car along the curb so that your tires rub on it and get curb rash, show them how bad a curb can look.

It's just a curb

Violator

• Rep: 73
« Reply #1145 on: May 27, 2023, 05:53:44 PM »
I'm sure it's been discussed somewhere in here, but any tips on slappy bs feebles?  They look too fun not to ask.  Come to think of it, I can't really backside slappy.  Frontside is way easier for me, so I need help. Thanks in advance!!

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1146 on: May 27, 2023, 06:24:08 PM »
I'm sure it's been discussed somewhere in here, but any tips on slappy bs feebles?  They look too fun not to ask.  Come to think of it, I can't really backside slappy.  Frontside is way easier for me, so I need help. Thanks in advance!!

They’re the easiest once you get the hang of them. Head in at a 45 degree angle, (for regular) get your back foot in the pocket right above your rear right wheel, and keep your right shoulder directly above your right foot. Then lift up onto the curb and lock in. You want some pressure onto your front foot to keep your tail against the curb, but otherwise just ride it out.

Knees bent, Weight back but not too far because then you can slip into boardslide and slide out.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #1147 on: May 27, 2023, 06:38:39 PM »
Here’s my tip- find the right curb. They’re super easy on a good curb- something buttery with a nice angle, must be double -sided (or dug out dirt/grass on the other) and a nice edge to lock into. Average height is best- too low and it’s hard. Too steep and/or too high and it’s a huge struggle.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #1148 on: May 27, 2023, 06:39:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Here’s my tip- find the right curb. They’re super easy on a good curb- something buttery with a nice angle, must be double -sided (or dug out dirt/grass on the other) and a nice edge to lock into. Average height is best- too low and it’s hard. Too steep and/or too high and it’s a huge struggle.

Are they possible at all on single sided curbs?

Man I'm in such a curb obsession at the moment that I haven't skated anything else in weeks. Anyone else go through phases like this?
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #1149 on: May 27, 2023, 06:45:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Totally, they’re hard tho. You gotta lean back so your front wheels don’t drag too hard but you can’t lean back too much or you slip into a boardslide. I’ve taken some really bad slams that way. I’m not good at them, maybe someone else here can give tips.

Edit- dude I love skating curbs. Best thing about your forties is people don’t give a shit if that’s all you do.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #1150 on: May 27, 2023, 07:22:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Man I'm in such a curb obsession at the moment that I haven't skated anything else in weeks. Anyone else go through phases like this?
Completely possible. It’s actually better to learn them on sidewalks imo since it’ll teach you to sit on your back foot and just use your front to guide. I could scratch out 6ish foot ones on a sidewalk. If my decrepit old ass could anyone can.

Phillyflared

« Reply #1151 on: May 27, 2023, 07:29:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Great minds as they say...Just got back from skating there this afternoon. The other ones are really fun and slightly hidden from street traffic, so safer from prying eyes.

Phillyflared

« Reply #1152 on: May 27, 2023, 07:37:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They're probably about to sell the building

I skate a curb that has maintenance crews and cops drive and walk by all the time, I'll keep skating it until they make it a problem

Drive your car along the curb so that your tires rub on it and get curb rash, show them how bad a curb can look.

It's just a curb
That was my initial thought when I came back the and they painted again. I'm looking for a new one but I'll skate this one until they take it out.
I'd probably miss the tire and grind my rims more than they already are...ha

Phillyflared

« Reply #1153 on: May 27, 2023, 07:40:30 PM »
I’ve been in this situation before. I would take a break from the spot or at least be very cautious before you skate. Maybe stick to the other curbs for a bit. Avoiding confrontation and being elusive will eventually make them forget about it. Old people love being pissed about someone squatting on their property. Always best to be semi invisible as to not arouse suspicion.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
I'm looking for a new one. Usually I go to this one pretty late afternoon on weekends. Just an basic so cal office building parking lot, so no traffic in lot at all. But if there are ever cars, I usually bite the bullet and go to a park

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1154 on: May 27, 2023, 09:15:25 PM »
A couple things with feebles:
If you are riding rails, they are much easier and you can definitely go much farther.
If you have any type of reverse, kingpin truck, they are even that much easier as you have less to hang up on.
I prefer a slightly lower double sided curb That is more square.
I make sure my back foot is more in the pocket of the tail with most of the weight on my heel, and I try to stay centered over my board with my weight slightly back as I approach the curb I lift up my front truck and try to sit on top of the curb more than on the side always thinking about my back truck directly under my back foot almost then push out my front foot like I am boning out an Ollie.
i’ve been kind of lock my front leg and try to hold the pose almost of an Ollie in feeble position on top of the curb and the more on top of it you are the longer you can sit in it eventually if you don’t have a squared off wheel. You’ll just slipped a board slide so you got to try and come out early, if the curb doesn’t have an end.

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1155 on: May 27, 2023, 09:19:38 PM »
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 09:32:07 PM by 144p »

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #1156 on: May 28, 2023, 12:22:17 AM »
A couple things with feebles:
If you are riding rails, they are much easier and you can definitely go much farther.
If you have any type of reverse, kingpin truck, they are even that much easier as you have less to hang up on.
I prefer a slightly lower double sided curb That is more square.
I make sure my back foot is more in the pocket of the tail with most of the weight on my heel, and I try to stay centered over my board with my weight slightly back as I approach the curb I lift up my front truck and try to sit on top of the curb more than on the side always thinking about my back truck directly under my back foot almost then push out my front foot like I am boning out an Ollie.
i’ve been kind of lock my front leg and try to hold the pose almost of an Ollie in feeble position on top of the curb and the more on top of it you are the longer you can sit in it eventually if you don’t have a squared off wheel. You’ll just slipped a board slide so you got to try and come out early, if the curb doesn’t have an end.

Any tips on half cab to feeble? Yours look so smooth, but whenever I try them I keep hitting boardslide and can't seem to go straight to feeble.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1157 on: May 28, 2023, 08:08:31 AM »

Absolutely love 144p clips. Such a smooth operator. Modern day Dressen

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -64
  • ???
« Reply #1158 on: May 29, 2023, 12:17:23 PM »
make sure to wear some breathing protection with rub bricking curbs, you don't want that shit in your lungs

biaherl

• Rep: 270
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #1159 on: May 29, 2023, 07:58:13 PM »
once it starts getting bigger the 7" I'm like "I'm good"

I like to here my woman say the same thing

djoekr

• Rep: 322
« Reply #1160 on: June 07, 2023, 01:39:07 PM »
Yesterday I used a wire brush to get most of the wax off my local curb I've been skating for a long time, and hit it with a proper rub brick/lacquer job. Today I waxed it up and holy shit, this thing goes. Suddenly I'm landing fs smiths while I normally could hold one maybe 1 out of 10 tries. Definitely gonna use lacquer the next time I'm preparing a curb.

Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #1161 on: June 07, 2023, 07:52:54 PM »
Yesterday I used a wire brush to get most of the wax off my local curb I've been skating for a long time, and hit it with a proper rub brick/lacquer job. Today I waxed it up and holy shit, this thing goes. Suddenly I'm landing fs smiths while I normally could hold one maybe 1 out of 10 tries. Definitely gonna use lacquer the next time I'm preparing a curb.

What lacquer did you use? Details please.

jsettle

• Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1162 on: June 07, 2023, 08:19:34 PM »
dropping another full curb part on 18JUNE....Just a mix of of go pro curb clips i filmed the past 3 months while trying to stack clips for the new curb junkies video. Thought i would just put them all together instead of letting them never get seen.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #1163 on: June 07, 2023, 08:45:29 PM »

the key for me was a ben degros tutorial where he said you basically just carve into a one wheel manual( toe side) right before u hit the curb

worked the very first time i tried it

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 177
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #1164 on: June 07, 2023, 08:55:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

the key for me was a ben degros tutorial where he said you basically just carve into a one wheel manual( toe side) right before u hit the curb

worked the very first time i tried it

All on your back big toe
You really have to stay way back on it
Hit it from a different angle then a BS slappy
which is more straight on
so less straight on
Pretend you are doing it on transition
so you hang in and back
Put your arms up and back to help
Stop doing that when you get them
Double sided curb is easier
With board rails even easier 

djoekr

• Rep: 322
« Reply #1165 on: June 08, 2023, 01:12:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
What lacquer did you use? Details please.

I used this one specifically:
http://www.montana-cans.com/en/spray-cans/montana-tech-sprays/varnish-400ml/montana-varnish-400ml

But I have no idea if it's better or worse than other brands as I'm no expert. Got a can of this for free and it clearly did the trick.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1166 on: June 08, 2023, 06:44:05 AM »
damn near anything will work tbh. i just look for the cheapest thing possible. I have never had a bad experience other than one time we tried to do spray like 40km/h wind and it was below 0 it didnt stick to the curb.

i just used an old indy and like the most dollar store wax possible and got a curb going in front of my friends house. its definintely not as buttery as doing lacquer though. not really good for anything besides 5050s.

Allen’s Alley Cafe

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1167 on: June 15, 2023, 10:55:42 PM »
Anyone else had problems with delamming the underside of the nose with slappies? I’ve been skating a lot of curbs lately and recently learned slappy 50-50s. The curbs I skate are steep and it took me a while to get the technique right to get up on  top of them  but I find I tend to catch the side of the nose on the curb and pretty soon the board starts to splinter and after that disintegrates pretty quick. It’s heartbreaking watching a good board turn to shit so quick. I’m left with thinking that I need to reserve slappies until a board starts to get close to the end of its life  but that bums me out because they’re so much fun to do. I ride a 8.5 popsicle with 44 aces and 54mm wheels and I’ve been toying with putting on some risers to help give the nose a bit more clearance over the top of the curb or trying a different shape. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I’m sure it’s also just sloppy technique but would be good to hear any suggestions.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1168 on: June 16, 2023, 12:32:20 AM »
I find pivoting to the front foot heel bonks the wheel rather than the nose

manysnakes

« Reply #1169 on: June 16, 2023, 09:30:27 AM »
damn near anything will work tbh. i just look for the cheapest thing possible. I have never had a bad experience other than one time we tried to do spray like 40km/h wind and it was below 0 it didnt stick to the curb.

I switched entirely to roll-on concrete sealer or lacquer. You're getting such a better value when you do it this way, as opposed to all the overspray, toxic fumes, and wasted cans associated with spray lacquer.

Maybe more importantly, people get concerned when they see and hear spray cans and this just invites scrutiny which I would rather avoid. I rolled lacquer onto a curb in plain view of a cop who didn't even glance my way. I guarantee that, if I have been using spray cans, there would have been a lot more explaining to do.