Author Topic: North Hollywood was an objectively terrible movie  (Read 29923 times)

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1383
Re: North Hollywood was an objectively terrible movie
« Reply #210 on: May 17, 2021, 08:15:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I watched 15 minutes of it and almost threw up... Whoever says this isn't a bad movie must think Battlefield Earth is an academy award winner... My god...
[close]

if you think this is throw-up worthy then you haven't watched very many movies.
[close]

I have a bfa in film and am a video editor for a living... I have watched a lot of movies.
[close]

lol I have a bfa in film as well and am a video editor for a living... i too have watched a lot of movies.

And here I was thinking that I am the only one who has a bfa in film and am also a video editor for a living, as well as someone who has watched a lot of movies.

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
« Reply #211 on: May 17, 2021, 08:53:15 AM »

i hear there is a full page ad in newest thrasher with an entire sticker sheet of different 'marital aids' that you can stick to his face however you want!

Marketing, baby! 

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #212 on: May 17, 2021, 08:58:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I watched 15 minutes of it and almost threw up... Whoever says this isn't a bad movie must think Battlefield Earth is an academy award winner... My god...
[close]

if you think this is throw-up worthy then you haven't watched very many movies.
[close]

I have a bfa in film and am a video editor for a living... I have watched a lot of movies.
[close]

lol I have a bfa in film as well and am a video editor for a living... i too have watched a lot of movies.
[close]

And here I was thinking that I am the only one who has a bfa in film and am also a video editor for a living, as well as someone who has watched a lot of movies.

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #213 on: May 17, 2021, 09:42:30 AM »
Ok I’m kinda realizing that the main character basically doesn’t resolve the conflict with nico or the crew and is running of to be homeless in sf.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #214 on: May 17, 2021, 10:30:28 AM »

Starring Josh Brolin........

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2277
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #215 on: May 17, 2021, 10:49:55 AM »

Illegal Civ is a memory
...for wimps

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #216 on: May 17, 2021, 11:06:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Illegal Civ is a memory
...for wimps

Lol
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Chana

• Rep: -22
« Reply #217 on: May 17, 2021, 12:28:30 PM »
Mikey Alfred is more productive with his time versus all of us... I thought the film was pretty good and they did it on a budget. Like 50 said, "If they hate, let them hate and watch the money pile up."

larry sanders

• Rep: -3
« Reply #218 on: May 17, 2021, 12:42:59 PM »

There could be some value gleaning from watching North Hollywood to see why no distributors touched it with a ten-foot pole

I'm interested in this part.

The movie looks very dumb but would have at least some commercial appeal, if it can't get distribution that really says something

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #219 on: May 17, 2021, 12:53:09 PM »
Mikey Alfred is more productive with his time versus all of us... I thought the film was pretty good and they did it on a budget. Like 50 said, "If they hate, let them hate and watch the money pile up."

hi  mikey

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 370
« Reply #220 on: May 17, 2021, 12:55:00 PM »
Like 50 said, "If they hate, let them hate and watch the money pile up."

His lyrics are so profoundly enriching.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
« Reply #221 on: May 17, 2021, 01:35:18 PM »

Is investing a lot of time and money into an unsuccessful enterprise really considered productive?

Miller92

« Reply #222 on: May 17, 2021, 01:40:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Is investing a lot of time and money into an unsuccessful enterprise really considered productive?

that's...how you become successful.  You fail.  You try again.  You get better. 

like do you not know how filmmaking works? Not everyone's first film is fucking ET. 

not saying the movie is great by any means but it was a pretty great first outing for a young person working with a small budget. 

Miller92

« Reply #223 on: May 17, 2021, 01:41:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

honestly, this comment is such a slap in the face to anyone who ever tried and failed at ANYTHING. 

how old are you?

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #224 on: May 17, 2021, 01:43:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

like do you not know how filmmaking works? Not everyone's first film is fucking ET. 

not saying the movie is great by any means but it was a pretty great first outing for a young person working with a small budget.

I think the guys a douche from what I've seen but I mean he can't be faulted for effort. As you say it's a learning process

I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Miller92

« Reply #225 on: May 17, 2021, 01:45:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I think the guys a douche from what I've seen but I mean he can't be faulted for effort. As you say it's a learning process

totally. Not a fan of any young kid that comes in and talks trash about Spike Jonze.  But to be so callous...god damn

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #226 on: May 17, 2021, 01:58:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

totally. Not a fan of any young kid that comes in and talks trash about Spike Jonze.  But to be so callous...god damn

Wooah easy now.  The contention here is someone saying he’s so much more productive than all of us and I made a flip comment about that.   Not bagging on everyone everywhere for trying anything.   Fuck. 

And aspiring filmmakers tend to cut their teeth making short films first.  No one should just start out on a feature film, but his arrogance and the cheapness of shooting a movie led him to believe he should.   

alex

• Rep: 34
« Reply #227 on: May 17, 2021, 02:05:39 PM »
Mikey Alfred reminds me of a character in GTA that you'd do zany missions for/with, who eventually ends of getting himself killed or something.

Definitely the type to fall off a building as you're walking away from the mission complete banner
Suns out, im going skating. chow

mushroom slice

« Reply #228 on: May 17, 2021, 02:19:30 PM »
Failing at something is always better then not trying. Maybe his movie sucks. Maybe not. You have to watch it before you can critique it. Even if you use smart words and shit you still sound like popcorn water.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #229 on: May 17, 2021, 02:24:49 PM »
Failing at something is always better then not trying. Maybe his movie sucks. Maybe not. You have to watch it before you can critique it. Even if you use smart words and shit you still sound like popcorn water.

Again, no one is criticizing him for trying something, it was that poster’s comment that he’s more productive than us because he made a movie

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 687
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #230 on: May 17, 2021, 02:42:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Again, no one is criticizing him for trying something, it was that poster’s comment that he’s more productive than us because he made a movie

@Atiba Applebum , stop flooding the boards with bad takes and you will stop getting called on them. It's pretty simple.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #231 on: May 17, 2021, 02:54:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

@Atiba Applebum , stop flooding the boards with bad takes and you will stop getting called on them. It's pretty simple.

Yeah I guess if you twist what I said into a condemnation of anyone who’s ever tried something it’s a bad take.  Shades of “you didn’t build it” in the 2012 election.   But fuck it, I’ll disappear from this thread

childhood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
« Reply #232 on: May 17, 2021, 03:36:19 PM »
Go watch Minding the Gap

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #233 on: May 17, 2021, 05:03:40 PM »
how small can the budget of a movie be if fucking vince vaughn appears in it?

Miller92

« Reply #234 on: May 17, 2021, 05:51:29 PM »

the budget was 1.8 million which is really tiny for shooting in LA. 

Vince probably shot for 5-6 days and did it as a favor for an elevated day rate

drewdown

• Rep: -28
« Reply #235 on: May 17, 2021, 06:18:30 PM »
Does those dude skate? Can he do a kick flip?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #236 on: May 17, 2021, 06:35:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

the budget was 1.8 million which is really tiny for shooting in LA. 

Vince probably shot for 5-6 days and did it as a favor for an elevated day rate

That’s not tiny for shooting in LA.  That’s tiny for a studio feature, but not for an indie/super indie. Sure it’s under the $5M threshold for SAG, but it’s hardly a micro-budget.  I assumed he shot it for like 300k because it certainly looks cheap.  They shot in LA and in the 30 Mile Zone.   Most budgets tend to get eaten up with above the line talent (director, writer, actors, etc) which this movie didn’t have.  Paying Vince Vaughn his day rate was probably the only big cost run on the film and if it ran over 20-30 days, I’d be shocked.   

To compare, Palm Springs cost $5M because it shot outside of LA which means you have to provide transportation, lodging, per diem, etc, plus it had name talent in it shooting a large percentage of the shooting schedule.    That budget will go up when the distributor acquires it because Prints and Advertising runs (iirc) 50% of what the budget was on top of the budget, but that isn’t reported in public budget costs. 

childhood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
« Reply #237 on: May 17, 2021, 07:02:32 PM »
You watch Minding the Gap yet?

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #238 on: May 17, 2021, 08:45:40 PM »
Can you numb nuts stop watching this movie and supporting this idiot?  Ironic views/rentals don’t go in a different category than sincere ones.
there was a free hd link posted earlier in this thread. You think we’re paying for this?

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #239 on: May 17, 2021, 09:20:31 PM »
shout out them garden boys

nothing's been the since same