Author Topic: Spongebob x Vans  (Read 3879 times)

Letsfilmavideo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 16
Spongebob x Vans
« on: June 03, 2021, 08:35:37 AM »
Just wondering what the pals think of this, especially the mike giolottie shoes or however you spell his last name. Spongebob with hardcore art on a skate shoe, seems a little contrived but I can dig it. Just waiting for the videos of nak ripping these off peoples feet and claiming that spongebob was never down with the homies
I always got one of my boys holdin a jar of leak and a fat blunt, so as soon as i land the trick we gettin wet you know?

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
Re: Spongebob x Vans
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 09:01:21 AM »
As a father of an avid Spongebob watcher I’m all for it

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 09:12:32 AM »
I love love love Spongebob and there's a really funny Monster Children video with Mike Gigliotti, but I hate Vans. So I'm torn.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 09:13:02 AM »
Always thought the first few seasons were alright as a kid, then it became the most annoying show ever.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 10:04:36 AM »
If you want my honest opinion I don't really think this kinda stuff belongs in skateboarding how I picture it. But I also think sexual assault, tactical cover ups and organised bullying doesn't belong in skating either, so what do I know?

FABOMARVOCEO

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 10:11:47 AM »
major missed opportunity not doing a collab with fabolodeon's cumslob, come on vans who tf wants spongebob he's not relevant to today's skaters the way bigjorts is

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2021, 10:17:01 AM »
Always thought the first few seasons were alright as a kid, then it became the most annoying show ever.

i was watching this video a while back, it says the original writer and his crew left after season 3 and the flanderization of the characters killed the show. also followed by changes in animation style, i could see how viewers lost interest. i was more in the rugrats-hey arnold era. nick arcade was the shit.

http://youtu.be/0k_0kGqHePw
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

dannyprovolone

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2021, 10:17:43 AM »
Wack

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -140
  • ?
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2021, 10:24:00 AM »
Judging by their Harry Potter collab this will be some nasty shit.

DC fucked up the Bob's Burger collab too. I really wonder who is in charge of the these collab designs lately. It's as if 15-year-old interns are submitting the final docs and Barney Rubble is approving them.
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

nickpaolucci

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2021, 11:32:55 AM »
major missed opportunity not doing a collab with fabolodeon's cumslob, come on vans who tf wants spongebob he's not relevant to today's skaters the way bigjorts is

my type of collab rh

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2021, 12:00:05 PM »
Judging by their Harry Potter collab this will be some nasty shit.

DC fucked up the Bob's Burger collab too. I really wonder who is in charge of the these collab designs lately. It's as if 15-year-old interns are submitting the final docs and Barney Rubble is approving them.

Long rant about licensing IP and speculation:

As far as art goes. Assets have to be approved by the owner of the the IP. Often Times the IP owner will provide the stock images, because of this, it's not uncommon to see the same imagery repeated like how the BBDC uses the same deconstructed burger stack imagery as the Habitat collection did. If DC had to pay a licensing fee + percentage to FOX then maybe they didn't also want to pay another artist to do concept work, when it can be potentially refused by FOX.

So I guess Fox more strict with how their IP can be interpreted than NBCUniversal or Viacom. which is dumb, because Bob is certainly no Spongebob or Harry Potter. If not that, then DC didn't want to invest more time/money into this than necessary. It was probably an easy win to up their cache with other IP holders so they can try for bigger IP in the future. Bob's burger while not the biggest show is a pretty well-known IP. DC doesn't have a lot of corpo IP deals under their belt. They could use this to petition Fox for a Simpsons collab or go somewhere else and be like LOOK WE DID BOBS BURGERS! You know that show right? Of course, this is speculation.

Clearly, you see more effort(money) is put into a Vans project, which is why it stands out more, good or bad.

When I worked in Toys(6 years ago now) I tried to get the licenses for a few IP for our Asian Branch. At the time I would throw in whatever product category I could. I would always put skateboards on the list of categories. Most IP don't give a shit as long as you can't make them look bad. They get their guarantee plus a percentage and benefit from whatever marketing you do.

Anyway, Jay Howell the original character designer for bob's burgers has done art in the skate industry several times. I assume he skates. If bob burgers wanted to do a collab and not make it so meh they could have brough him back

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2021, 12:12:10 PM »
spongebob? what is this, a primitive collab?

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2021, 12:46:02 PM »
spongebob? what is this, a primitive Krux collab?

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -140
  • ?
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2021, 01:54:10 PM »
Long rant about licensing IP and speculation:

As far as art goes. Assets have to be approved by the owner of the the IP. Often Times the IP owner will provide the stock images, because of this, it's not uncommon to see the same imagery repeated like how the BBDC uses the same deconstructed burger stack imagery as the Habitat collection did. If DC had to pay a licensing fee + percentage to FOX then maybe they didn't also want to pay another artist to do concept work, when it can be potentially refused by FOX.

So I guess Fox more strict with how their IP can be interpreted than NBCUniversal or Viacom. which is dumb, because Bob is certainly no Spongebob or Harry Potter. If not that, then DC didn't want to invest more time/money into this than necessary. It was probably an easy win to up their cache with other IP holders so they can try for bigger IP in the future. Bob's burger while not the biggest show is a pretty well-known IP. DC doesn't have a lot of corpo IP deals under their belt. They could use this to petition Fox for a Simpsons collab or go somewhere else and be like LOOK WE DID BOBS BURGERS! You know that show right? Of course, this is speculation.

Clearly, you see more effort(money) is put into a Vans project, which is why it stands out more, good or bad.

When I worked in Toys(6 years ago now) I tried to get the licenses for a few IP for our Asian Branch. At the time I would throw in whatever product category I could. I would always put skateboards on the list of categories. Most IP don't give a shit as long as you can't make them look bad. They get their guarantee plus a percentage and benefit from whatever marketing you do.

Anyway, Jay Howell the original character designer for bob's burgers has done art in the skate industry several times. I assume he skates. If bob burgers wanted to do a collab and not make it so meh they could have brough him back

Awesome information and a great point that there's always the effort vs. reward battle going on with a business.

I'm a huge fan of Bob's, which I think added to the sting of DC's efforts. Cool to hear that Jay skates.
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2021, 02:07:10 PM »
not unless it plays hawaiian slack key guitar music out of speakers in the tongue

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 140
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2021, 02:26:04 PM »
I grew up on SpongeBob. The first couple of seasons are some of the best children's entertainment ever written. Maybe I'd rock a shirt semi-ironically.

MusclesMarinara

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2021, 02:55:25 PM »
I grew up on SpongeBob. The first couple of seasons are some of the best children's entertainment ever written. Maybe I'd rock a shirt semi-ironically.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Dorje Drolo

• Rep: -56
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2021, 03:26:10 PM »
Cartoon is funny as hell and Vans did a good job with Mike Giglioitti art so I'm not mad at any Spongebob collab.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2021, 04:34:09 PM »
A shoe shaped kitchen sponge would have been cool. Everyone needs a sponge.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

KRKD1

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2021, 05:10:19 PM »
Honestly not surprising. Is it an official release or just one off?

Back in the day when custom sb dunks were a hot. Still are I'm sure. But forums were ripe with templates of some of the coolest designs and photoshops. Everything from mountain dew styled  to Skeeter from Doug inspired designs and then some. Kinda miss that. Sb-c used to have a 100 page thread with all sorts of wild designs. Really dug it. Custom shoes are cool as long as it stays in the spirt of one offs and not for mass sale.

pro club blanks

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2021, 05:19:12 PM »
Did spitfire rider smittywerbanmanjenson get a tribute shoe?

ricky bobby

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2021, 05:34:20 PM »

mushroom slice

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2021, 05:41:35 PM »
Remember when girl did the hello
Kitty boards? That was wack. This is too

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2021, 06:11:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i was more in the rugrats-hey arnold era. nick arcade was the shit.
Hey Arnold might just be one of the greatest and best written animated TV shows of all time. So much detail went into character development and shaping the characters over the years; they dive so deep for a children’s show. Just watch the episode where the school makes helga see a therapist for a prime example of this.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2021, 06:18:48 PM »
As a fan with disposable income, buying the old skools
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1890
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2021, 07:08:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i was watching this video a while back, it says the original writer and his crew left after season 3 and the flanderization of the characters killed the show. also followed by changes in animation style, i could see how viewers lost interest. i was more in the rugrats-hey arnold era. nick arcade was the shit.

http://youtu.be/0k_0kGqHePw

Only 3 seasons of Spongebob exists, everything else is poo.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2021, 11:07:11 PM »
Apparently from what I saw Via Reynolds story it's 2 versions of . .the commercial Pg version & the Diehards

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPn63jGrCL3/?utm_medium=copy_link
Vansskate

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPr1X1nl7J7/?utm_medium=copy_link
Vans

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPnzyzlNlpH/?utm_medium=copy_link

If I happen to see an interesting moment or episode of Spongebob I'll watch, however since it came out in 1999 I've watched plenty newer shows
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

fortunecattlesteakhouse

• Rep: 91
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2021, 06:19:39 AM »
fetty shit

SATIVA HYBRID

• Rep: -35
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2021, 08:07:53 AM »
spongebob is lit and if i see any spongebob slander i'm pulling up to your house and beating your ass
only hoe i love is popeyes
i put my dick in the drumstick

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2021, 08:54:45 AM »
would rather see more Street Fighter Collabos tbh! i think street fighter is such a good collab for skateboaridng, better than DBZ even
final fantasy 7 collab i think would sell fire too
possibly some nintendo collabs too

It seems like most guys who like vans are like 40+, or its kids who are like 10-20 years younger than me

Whne spongebob came out i was in like grade 8 or something so it definintely was never that "cool" to me. most vans guys are like 10 years old than me though and that lines up more with when their kids would have been growing up and watching spongebob.
ONTARIO CANADA