Author Topic: Most Depressing Thing In Skateboarding Right Now  (Read 26317 times)

SatanicPanic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
Re: Most Depressing Thing In Skateboarding Right Now
« Reply #180 on: April 09, 2022, 11:48:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
constantly feeling like im not good enough. just learned how to slide front noses really long and now my boy already has front crooks. i'm always one step behind the homies.

also it seems like there are only extremely good people and extremely bad/beginner skaters. i've been stuck in this state of being a solid intermediate skater for a while now even though i have a solid bag of tricks
[close]

I was kinda feeling like this until I started doing a few tricks and maneuvers like Ollie manual up the euro around to another bank and carving frontside in a bowl and one of the older guys gives me props for doing that kind of stuff and it makes you realize what you can do that other people can’t (yet).

[close]

Once you start pushing 40, the secret to skating is just really realy good at like, 4, maybe 5 tricks and just do those all the time. The rest just kind of falls into place.
This is great advice

BL0B

• Rep: 421
« Reply #181 on: April 09, 2022, 12:56:32 PM »
people dying, stop it already people!

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #182 on: April 10, 2022, 02:42:30 AM »
Expand Quote
- Too afraid to go to the park.

I moved cities a few years ago and all my friends live 120 miles away. I don't know anyone here and have no history with them.

I'm turning 40 this year, I was "ok" at best 20 years ago and after busting my knees skating my skills definitely did not progress. I'm not a "people's guy" either and I'm afraid of getting ridiculed at the park ...
[close]
Dude. I'm right there with you. I moved far from my home town a few years back, and always had skate park anxiety. But I tell you straight up, what sealed the deal for me was going early mid week to the park. There's no one there, and when someone does pull up it another version of you, olderguy, diminished skills, etc... plus it's my experience that no one is watching you at the skate park, we suck and no one caresabout our sick ass bigspins and nose slides. Tldr, skate when and how you want dude, this shit ain't football, just havefun.
Or maybe try to connect a little.
I'm not a " people guy " either.
When I came back to skating 3 years ago I was 36 and I basically had to relearn everything so yeah I sucked.
First I did the same.. go early midweek, leave when it gets crowded etc.
But after getting a new job I couldn't go early anymore. So I went to all the street spots I knew and skated there most of the time. But this became boring after a while and I wanted to ride transition so yea, I had no choice.
I just went to the next park and did my thing.
I showed up every day till I knew basically everyone who ever comes to this park. All young dudes arround 18-22yo.
After a while we connected. Played a few games of skate together, had a barbecue and so on.
Now I'm part of the local guys.
I get invited to meet for sessions etc.. so after all I made a lot of new friends there and it definitely helped my progression too, skating with younger people is great.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #183 on: April 10, 2022, 04:39:43 AM »
Youtubers. That whole genre depresses me. 

OldSkater

• Rep: -49
« Reply #184 on: April 10, 2022, 05:16:28 AM »
Mike Carroll's skeletons in the closet re: hurricane helen are most likely contributing to Crail camp's uncaring attitude toward male abusers on girl/chocolate/lakai

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #185 on: April 10, 2022, 05:32:18 AM »
The Tony Hawk HBO documentary was great but also had plenty of depressing content (vibing of skate culture, CTE, family drama).

dofrenzy

« Reply #186 on: April 10, 2022, 08:33:20 AM »
Most depressing thing in skateboarding for me is my depression.  Coming up on 3 years of skateboarding in May and skating ramps has been the best “coping” mechanism yet.  As far as feeling like I “belong”, Here’s my criteria for being a legit skateboarder:  if you take a slam and get back on the board you’re in.  That’s the heart of skateboarding for me; not just rolling but rolling, falling, and rolling again.

Banned from the room

« Reply #187 on: April 10, 2022, 09:33:44 AM »
Lack of people in the streets. If I don’t wanna skate alone I gotta call people first or go to the skatepark.

Before skateparks came back I could find people street skating everywhere.

I know where to find people in Boston but it’s only like two places now. In the suburbs it’s pretty much skatepark only.

This makes me super sad. Street skating is the way in my opinion. Then backyard pools #2. Then back yard ramps. Then the park is last.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2323
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #188 on: April 10, 2022, 10:21:46 AM »
That’s the heart of skateboarding for me; not just rolling but rolling, falling, and rolling again.
THIS guy gets it.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

BieberStance

• Rep: -18
« Reply #189 on: April 10, 2022, 02:19:55 PM »
constantly feeling like im not good enough. just learned how to slide front noses really long and now my boy already has front crooks. i'm always one step behind the homies.

also it seems like there are only extremely good people and extremely bad/beginner skaters. i've been stuck in this state of being a solid intermediate skater for a while now even though i have a solid bag of tricks

Ok, i explain to you once and for all how to always come across as skilled and fake to be as unkooky as possible, no matter where you go.

Its your trick selection. I bet you have learned alot of tricks and that you are able to pull of alot of stuff. But your problem is, that the the tricks you do are equally good and were as hard to learn tricks as the ones that actually matter (to impress).

You need:
Good kf
360 flip
Nollie heelflip
High fs shove it.

Hardflip if you can.

That’s basically it.

You don’t need:
Reg heelflip
Fakie tricks besides kf
Avoid doing nollie/fakie bigspins/bsflips turning in direction of your frontside like a plague

You need:
Bs 5050 (never fs 5050 something you could bs 5050)
Bs nosegrind
Krooked
Fs boardslide

& bs tailslide, but thats hard.

avoid
Fs 50 & fs 5050
Bs boardslides unless handrails
Trying to force fs tailslides

In transition:
Do axlestalls or pivot to tail or rock to fakie

Never feeble stall.

If you can do above and stick to it, no matter where you go, people will be impressed and think that you are kind of good and assume that you have some skill and steeze.

But sticking to it means you are having less fun and you skate to impress. And that shouldn’t be your goal.

Now you can all kook me.

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #191 on: April 10, 2022, 03:44:55 PM »
not enough 95a wheels are offered.... and when and why did they switch to the A scale instead of D?

cky enthusiast

« Reply #192 on: April 10, 2022, 04:33:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ok, i explain to you once and for all how to always come across as skilled and fake to be as unkooky as possible, no matter where you go.

Its your trick selection. I bet you have learned alot of tricks and that you are able to pull of alot of stuff. But your problem is, that the the tricks you do are equally good and were as hard to learn tricks as the ones that actually matter (to impress).

You need:
Good kf
360 flip
Nollie heelflip
High fs shove it.

Hardflip if you can.

That’s basically it.

You don’t need:
Reg heelflip
Fakie tricks besides kf
Avoid doing nollie/fakie bigspins/bsflips turning in direction of your frontside like a plague

You need:
Bs nosegrind
Krooked
Fs boardslide

avoid
Fs 50 & fs 5050

In transition:

Never feeble stall.

If you can do above and stick to it, no matter where you go, people will be impressed and think that you are kind of good and assume that you have some skill and steeze.

But sticking to it means you are having less fun and you skate to impress. And that shouldn’t be your goal.

Now you can all kook me.

do not pivot to tail.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #193 on: April 10, 2022, 04:35:07 PM »
Crail sticking their head in the sand over KA and Yonnie

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #194 on: April 10, 2022, 04:39:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

You need:
Good kf
360 flip
Nollie heelflip
High fs shove it.

Hardflip if you can.

That’s basically it.

You don’t need:
Reg heelflip
Fakie tricks besides kf

You need:
Bs nosegrind
Krooked
Fs boardslide

avoid
Fs 50 & fs 5050

In transition:

Never feeble stall.

Now you can all kook me.
[close]

do not pivot to tail.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

BieberStance

• Rep: -18
« Reply #195 on: April 11, 2022, 04:29:56 PM »
Expand Quote

Accepted.

And i would add to always nosewheelie and to try to avoid normal manuals

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #196 on: April 12, 2022, 05:27:13 AM »
I find it depressing to see the yout dressing like it's 1993, not sure why

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 680
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #197 on: April 12, 2022, 06:06:24 AM »
not enough 95a wheels are offered.... and when and why did they switch to the A scale instead of D?

On Spitfires, the D just stands for duro
the D scale isn't relevant to skateboarding wheels (and i don't know of any brand using it)

https://bones.com/why/b-scale/

sidenote: it's not accurate, especially when comparing wheels of "same" hardness but different brands

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #198 on: April 12, 2022, 06:34:26 AM »
Besides all the obvious stuff - olympics, sls, x games, dew tour whatever, the next thing to me is the Nine Club.
ok thanks

Pearl Motherfuckin Wilson

• Rep: -4
« Reply #199 on: April 12, 2022, 08:22:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

You need:
Good kf
360 flip
Nollie heelflip
High fs shove it.

Hardflip if you can.

That’s basically it.

You don’t need:
Reg heelflip
Fakie tricks besides kf

You need:
Bs nosegrind
Krooked
Fs boardslide

avoid
Fs 50 & fs 5050

In transition:

Never feeble stall.

Now you can all kook me.
[close]

do not pivot to tail.
[close]

Fs pivot to tail will probably get you kicked out, Pivot to Fakie will win everyone over.

Hashbrownthug4200

• Rep: 0
« Reply #200 on: April 12, 2022, 10:16:52 AM »
Bum ass weather, I literally woke up to snow this morning and last night when I tried to skate it was mad windy, just sucks cause everywhere else people are already out skating, snd I'm still stuck in winter.

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 558
« Reply #201 on: April 12, 2022, 12:19:07 PM »
Some of these posts make me think y'all need to take a t-break from skating. It'll obviously get dull if you rely on it for all of your dopamine generation

3D X-Ray Vision

« Reply #202 on: April 12, 2022, 12:45:40 PM »
The Mark Oblow thread. Also, all the hate on Southern California and people from here lately. It's actually a pretty nice place to live

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #203 on: April 12, 2022, 03:02:10 PM »
All the mini board posts on IG. I love Wes and all but it’s kinda silly.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 817
« Reply #204 on: April 12, 2022, 03:16:17 PM »
i've been getting tons of tiktok reposts on instagram of basically videos of kids trying to "teach" skateboarding.  all of the kids in the videos absolutely suck at skating and have no business teaching anybody anything.  I guess its just more the state of social media and narcissism as a whole, but the more of these I watch, the more infuriated and disturbed I get.  Just the arrogance and entitlement that comes across

This kooky social media shit has been eroding the spirit of skateboarding for a while via braile/revive/etc, but i'm worried its exploding and about to blow a big ass hole in skateboarding as we know it. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 883
« Reply #205 on: April 22, 2022, 01:53:01 AM »
Personally at the minute. Not being able to go skate because covid. Did anyone know there's an X Games on? (I won't bother asking if anybody cares lol) for years all non skaters idea of skateboarding was just a bunch of little kids in overly baggy pants. Turns out that's now true I think the average age is about 15

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #206 on: April 22, 2022, 02:22:02 AM »

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #207 on: April 22, 2022, 04:40:40 AM »
i've been getting tons of tiktok reposts on instagram of basically videos of kids trying to "teach" skateboarding.  all of the kids in the videos absolutely suck at skating and have no business teaching anybody anything.  I guess its just more the state of social media and narcissism as a whole, but the more of these I watch, the more infuriated and disturbed I get.  Just the arrogance and entitlement that comes across

This kooky social media shit has been eroding the spirit of skateboarding for a while via braile/revive/etc, but i'm worried its exploding and about to blow a big ass hole in skateboarding as we know it.

Lmao those things get me every time.  How to kickflip Tiktok: 1) ollie 2) kickflip the board 3) land. 

Uhhhh, thank you??

Bryanferry

• Rep: -43
« Reply #208 on: April 22, 2022, 05:38:09 AM »
A lack of massimo cavedoni 😞

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
« Reply #209 on: April 22, 2022, 05:42:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Lmao those things get me every time.  How to kickflip Tiktok: 1) ollie 2) kickflip the board 3) land. 

Uhhhh, thank you??

That’s basically how all trick tip videos were before Instagram and TikTok. Step 4 was always “and ride away clean”.