Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 45046 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 832
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1710 on: August 12, 2023, 03:16:14 PM »

Wasn’t he already there as Eli Drake?   

Yeah, I more meant I don't see him being any other character for the rest of his career except maybe a desperate repackage towards the end of his deal. He's probably LA knight (or LA Nights when he hits the indies) now, for better or worse. Same thing happened with Kennedy/Anderson. Obviously the guy can cut a promo but he's a bit boring and cookie cutter in the ring and I feel like unless he fixes that he's gonna end up in that "go out and warm up the crowd" curtain jerking spot they used to put road dogg in rather than a major title picture. I really think changing his gear and style would help with the walmart Rock write-off too. When you do tiny graphic trunks and black boots and pads and start throwing finger wavey elbow drops you can't really get mad when people draw that parallel.

Marty ep was really good for me, but not so much as a wrestling story as just a bio of a troubled dude who might be too charming for his own good.

Al Snow seems like he would be a good dad...I hope hes involved as a guest in future seasons. Eloquent dude, his palpable paternal disappointment was a highlight for me as well shaqueefster.

Was stoked to see Pat Tanaka too since I've watched a lot of AWA this month. Funny that Beefcake ended up with a Missy Hyatt clone too. Nice to see he's pretty useless in interviews too... Dude just grabbed Hogan's coattails and coasted through life on them. Potentially to get a better grip if you believe what Linda Hogan says.

As for the dirt - I love that Marty's "hacker" managed to perfectly mirror his writing style and penchant for typos and strange punctuation use when making the post about wanting to bang his daughter. Totally wasn't you dude! With the murder thing I don't doubt that the police in his hillbilly town are incompetent enough to not find anything but on the other hand the guy is a compulsive liar and attention seeker so it's really difficult to wholeheartedly believe anything he says. I think most of his stories take a shred of truth and then tightly encapsulate it with bullshit but it's impossible to tell what's what. Good shit Busey.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
« Reply #1711 on: August 12, 2023, 05:05:59 PM »
Expand Quote

Wasn’t he already there as Eli Drake?   
[close]

Yeah, I more meant I don't see him being any other character for the rest of his career except maybe a desperate repackage towards the end of his deal. He's probably LA knight (or LA Nights when he hits the indies) now, for better or worse. Same thing happened with Kennedy/Anderson. Obviously the guy can cut a promo but he's a bit boring and cookie cutter in the ring and I feel like unless he fixes that he's gonna end up in that "go out and warm up the crowd" curtain jerking spot they used to put road dogg in rather than a major title picture. I really think changing his gear and style would help with the walmart Rock write-off too. When you do tiny graphic trunks and black boots and pads and start throwing finger wavey elbow drops you can't really get mad when people draw that parallel.

Marty ep was really good for me, but not so much as a wrestling story as just a bio of a troubled dude who might be too charming for his own good.

Al Snow seems like he would be a good dad...I hope hes involved as a guest in future seasons. Eloquent dude, his palpable paternal disappointment was a highlight for me as well shaqueefster.

Was stoked to see Pat Tanaka too since I've watched a lot of AWA this month. Funny that Beefcake ended up with a Missy Hyatt clone too. Nice to see he's pretty useless in interviews too... Dude just grabbed Hogan's coattails and coasted through life on them. Potentially to get a better grip if you believe what Linda Hogan says.

As for the dirt - I love that Marty's "hacker" managed to perfectly mirror his writing style and penchant for typos and strange punctuation use when making the post about wanting to bang his daughter. Totally wasn't you dude! With the murder thing I don't doubt that the police in his hillbilly town are incompetent enough to not find anything but on the other hand the guy is a compulsive liar and attention seeker so it's really difficult to wholeheartedly believe anything he says. I think most of his stories take a shred of truth and then tightly encapsulate it with bullshit but it's impossible to tell what's what. Good shit Busey.

Isn’t that kinda appropriate for the Greta Van Fleet of the Attitude era is exactly what they’re known for - unforgettable promos and forgettable matches (Everyone except the legends)

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1712 on: August 13, 2023, 07:23:39 PM »
I'd say WWE still have some really great matches, but they're buried on the undercard or just don't get the attention they deserve because they prioritize the sizzle over the steak. It's a different style but there's enough Codys and Seths and on the roster that they're gonna blind squirrel a few.

I watched the bash at the beach dark side episode this morning. Jesus Christ Busey, I feel sorry if you had to be there with Russo... I feel like people who feel the need to literally shout their story in your face are almost always full of shit. Dude has a serious victim complex. Bischoff is the stereotype of brown nosed corporate schmoozer come to life but Russo's ego and need for attention pretty much killed one of the most historic promotions in history. Just an unbearable manchild and definitely a pathological liar. Cornette's venom for him goes a little overboard but his criticisms are pretty spot on. When you catch him in a lie (not hard) or present him with evidence that counters his claims he just defaults to "bro I don't even care about wrestling" so he's developed about as much as your average 14 year old.

I'm glad they reminded me of the dusty "thith ith my ass..if you weeell" and gave us some classic rainman-esque Meltzer clips though

Collision was a mixed bag. I don't watch ROH so I was surprised to see the bear country repackage. Beefcake Boulder is raw and has no clue what his character is supposed to be but you can't teach size like that and he can really move. Wanna see them in some matches with HoB just so I can see how he does with a guy close to his size.

I always hear how Mercedes Martinez is a veteran and good worker and shit but 90% of the time I watch her she's half a step behind and sloppy as hell. Really stood out against Willow and Stat who are crisp on almost everything. I know they're trying to set up a match but there's no world that Diamante and Mercedes should be beating your women's champ and a top contender, dumb cheating spot or not.

Can we just have Joe squash Indy guys and cut promos on all the shows? Bring back Luigi Primo and get the Michael Jackson guy in and tell Joe to just kill them.

Main event was pretty boring for me. Felt a bit like a vanity match that Punk booked to prove he could still hang with the young guys (though he really can't). Apparently he grabbed the mic and started shooting on hangman again to the live crowd for no reason after the match? Dude is an HBK level diva which is ironic given his Bret fetish. Cant wait for him to cause more unprofessional drama weeks out from the biggest show in the company's history.

busey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1286
  • i can't it's a geo!
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1713 on: August 14, 2023, 04:38:45 AM »
@busey well done with the Jannetty episode. Not my favorite of the series but it was still a joy to watch. Top ones of this season was definitely Doink, Bash at the Beach, Magnum TA & Bam Bam Bigelow.
thanks! doink was one of my favourites too

I watched the bash at the beach dark side episode this morning. Jesus Christ Busey, I feel sorry if you had to be there with Russo... I feel like people who feel the need to literally shout their story in your face are almost always full of shit. Dude has a serious victim complex. Bischoff is the stereotype of brown nosed corporate schmoozer come to life but Russo's ego and need for attention pretty much killed one of the most historic promotions in history. Just an unbearable manchild and definitely a pathological liar. Cornette's venom for him goes a little overboard but his criticisms are pretty spot on. When you catch him in a lie (not hard) or present him with evidence that counters his claims he just defaults to "bro I don't even care about wrestling" so he's developed about as much as your average 14 year old.
it was so hard to put together because everyone tells a different story. do you believe russo's version of the story at all?
I rolled my ankle jacking off on a ladder.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1714 on: August 14, 2023, 05:04:38 AM »
I'd say WWE still have some really great matches, but they're buried on the undercard or just don't get the attention they deserve because they prioritize the sizzle over the steak. It's a different style but there's enough Codys and Seths and on the roster that they're gonna blind squirrel a few.

I'm glad they reminded me of the dusty "thith ith my ass..if you weeell" and gave us some classic rainman-esque Meltzer clips though

Collision was a mixed bag. I don't watch ROH so I was surprised to see the bear country repackage. Beefcake Boulder is raw and has no clue what his character is supposed to be but you can't teach size like that and he can really move. Wanna see them in some matches with HoB just so I can see how he does with a guy close to his size.

I always hear how Mercedes Martinez is a veteran and good worker and shit but 90% of the time I watch her she's half a step behind and sloppy as hell. Really stood out against Willow and Stat who are crisp on almost everything. I know they're trying to set up a match but there's no world that Diamante and Mercedes should be beating your women's champ and a top contender, dumb cheating spot or not.

Can we just have Joe squash Indy guys and cut promos on all the shows? Bring back Luigi Primo and get the Michael Jackson guy in and tell Joe to just kill them.

Main event was pretty boring for me. Felt a bit like a vanity match that Punk booked to prove he could still hang with the young guys (though he really can't). Apparently he grabbed the mic and started shooting on hangman again to the live crowd for no reason after the match? Dude is an HBK level diva which is ironic given his Bret fetish. Cant wait for him to cause more unprofessional drama weeks out from the biggest show in the company's history.

Bear Country repackage happened a while back.   It felt pretty unnecessary, almost like a Fed move

WPG

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1715 on: August 14, 2023, 02:09:01 PM »
Just realized RAW is in town, probably gonna grab some last minute nose bleed tickets and go
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

WPG

« Reply #1716 on: August 14, 2023, 06:17:39 PM »
Just realized RAW is in town, probably gonna grab some last minute nose bleed tickets and go

Holy shit theres a lot of dead time for a live show. Like they showed a pre taped promo. Went to commercial and cameback with a recap of Smackdown. Went backstage for a pointless interview with Riddle and Drew says he will consider being his partner and riddle enters the ring so i guess he couldnt find anyone else. WTF how pointless and then another commercial for good measure. This shit is just WWE Network Peacock propaganda
Muska, Chillin Chillin

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1717 on: August 14, 2023, 06:20:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Holy shit theres a lot of dead time for a live show. Like they showed a pre taped promo. Went to commercial and cameback with a recap of Smackdown. Went backstage for a pointless interview with Riddle and Drew says he will consider being his partner and riddle enters the ring so i guess he couldnt find anyone else. WTF how pointless and then another commercial for good measure. This shit is just WWE Network Peacock propaganda

The dead time is for commercial breaks

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 821
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #1718 on: August 14, 2023, 06:33:34 PM »
I was there last week, actually one of the better live events I've been to. I have to admit, it is fun to be in a stadium with 10,000 people booing as loud as possible at one person (Dom)
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

WPG

« Reply #1719 on: August 14, 2023, 06:35:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I understand but the commercials could be better placed. Whats the point in going in person if theres close to 25 minutes straight of videos playing a bit of backstage segments and but mostly ads for 2k23 and stone colds podcast and nothing happening live. They have been filling in the commercials more in the second hour with a DX crotchchop cam and a WWE Universe dance party instead of watching people stand around in the ring for no reason

Agree @blurst_of_times the boos Dom gets was crazy to see live

Edit: the whole wrestler 1 enters. Cut to commercial, comeback with an unrelated backstage segment. Cut to wrestler 1 standing in the ring with there music suddenly playing again after they entered 5 mins ago. Wrestler 2 enters Really kills the flow and crowd hype
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 06:42:37 PM by WPG »
Muska, Chillin Chillin

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -223
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1720 on: August 14, 2023, 06:41:20 PM »
Just found out my homie is getting my ticket for Sunday night of Wrestlemania.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1721 on: August 14, 2023, 06:43:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I understand but the commercials could be better placed. Whats the point in going in person if theres close to 25 minutes straight of videos playing a bit of backstage segments and but mostly ads for 2k23 and stone colds podcast and nothing happening live. They have been filling in the commercials more in the second hour with a DX crotchchop cam and a WWE Universe dance party instead of watching people stand around in the ring for no reason

Yeah, but that’s the Fed.   It’s never been a wrestle heavy program

WPG

« Reply #1722 on: August 14, 2023, 09:06:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

100% but only it felt like I paid to watch a TV show, wouldve been nice to have more happen in the ring or on the stage instead of backstage, it was mostly just staring at a giant screen instead of seeing the people I paid to see live. Still enjoyed it, everything that happened was good match and promos. Enjoyed Smackdown and AEW more this year for live shows, Smackdown felt like much more happened in less time
Muska, Chillin Chillin

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1723 on: August 14, 2023, 09:44:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

100% but only it felt like I paid to watch a TV show, wouldve been nice to have more happen in the ring or on the stage instead of backstage, it was mostly just staring at a giant screen instead of seeing the people I paid to see live. Still enjoyed it, everything that happened was good match and promos. Enjoyed Smackdown and AEW more this year for live shows, Smackdown felt like much more happened in less time

Hah yeah I did Smackdown once and I agree with everything you said, plus the mic’ed mat kinda drove me crazy. 

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1724 on: August 15, 2023, 07:25:31 AM »
 It’s official, I’m going to Wrestlemania.

WPG

« Reply #1725 on: August 15, 2023, 08:36:27 AM »
It’s official, I’m going to Wrestlemania.

Hell Yeah, every fans dream
Muska, Chillin Chillin

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #1726 on: August 15, 2023, 11:56:04 AM »
I may need to go to Wrestlemania too. I’m an hour from Philadelphia

Captain No Cab

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1727 on: August 15, 2023, 04:12:43 PM »
Off topic slightly, but does anyone know the reasoning behind Billy Corgan's fascination with wrestling? Went to see the Pumpkins earlier this year and every set was sandwiched with pro wrestling, honestly one of the best live shows Ive seen as a result.
If you sk8, you know, when you bite into that spring-roll

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1728 on: August 15, 2023, 04:16:25 PM »
Off topic slightly, but does anyone know the reasoning behind Billy Corgan's fascination with wrestling? Went to see the Pumpkins earlier this year and every set was sandwiched with pro wrestling, honestly one of the best live shows Ive seen as a result.

He owns a promotion (NWA)

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1729 on: August 16, 2023, 04:06:26 AM »
Congrats Pat

Bear Country repackage happened a while back.   It felt pretty unnecessary, almost like a Fed move

Yeah iron savages is a terrible name and they still have no discernible personality but I've been intrigued by Boulder ever since I saw him. You don't see a lot of guys that have that classic wide load Bundy style build that can actually move around the ring. The two man catch and toss spot is really impressive since he can actually do it with max caster size guys, plus the moonsault would probably get over like the Vader bomb or Banzai drop. There's just something about seeing a guy well over 300 pounds smooshing someone, ya know?

Apparently Punk is already causing massive drama and tribalism backstage.. I'm sure Tony is gonna stand up to him this time though!

He owns the NWA now and probably wanted to display some of his wrestlers at the shows but from what I understand the reasoning is just he's a lifelong fan who was fascinated by it growing up. After he became a famous rockstar he started getting involved with with ECW back in the day, then moved on to Impact and eventually bought the NWA. If you're familiar with Tony Khan it's kind of the same thing just on a millionaire scale rather than billionaire.

I want to like the NWA but it sucks pretty bad.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1730 on: August 19, 2023, 09:29:37 AM »
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/2023/08/18/pro-wrestler-cash-wheeler-arrested-on-assault-charge/

Guess FTR ain't wrestling at All-in now. Really taking the whole "throwback to the territory days" thing a little too far there guys. I thought he was looking pretty swole the last few times I saw him, so maybe we'll get a good old fashioned roid rage defense. Gotta admit he does seem like the type of dude who would ride your ass in traffic and then pass you on the shoulder and point a gun at you for having the audacity to drive within 10mph of the speed limit. I'd put money on the guy rolling up behind him a few thousand yards down the road when they both hit a red light.

I can't see the Bucks not being on the card or the bald one tagging with someone else so who replaces them in London?

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1731 on: August 23, 2023, 02:26:17 PM »
Reports are Terry Funk has passed away. It's hard to really define his greatness since it was spread out across a few dozen promotions and a solid 40 years, but I think you can make a very compelling case for him being the best to ever lace them up. At the very least I think he has just as much claim to the greatest of his generation as Flair does, but I always thought Terry was better. Flair wrestled the same match or some variation thereof for like 95% of his career while the Funker seemed to never wrestle the same match twice. I think he's probably the best seller in history, and he's really still the gold standard for unhinged promo work. Before I fell asleep last night I watched Terry Funk vs Mark Lewin from Houston wrestling and got super into it. I'm glad I didn't take it for granted.

I wonder if they'll do a live streamed memorial for the public like they did with Jay Briscoe. If they do I hope Mick gives his eulogy, but I could see Dory doing it too if hes feeling up to it. I fully expect Moxley and AEW to do something in his honor tonight. Hopefully they open with a 10 bell at the very least.

RIP Terry.

Edit - this is one of my favorite matches on YouTube... Funk vs Harley Race from 1977 with the inimitable Paul Boesch on ringside commentary (if you look closely there's a teen Bruce Prichard sitting beside him). Watch in 720p for best experience.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 02:42:01 PM by Sativa Lung »

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1732 on: August 23, 2023, 06:18:00 PM »
Reports are Terry Funk has passed away. It's hard to really define his greatness since it was spread out across a few dozen promotions and a solid 40 years, but I think you can make a very compelling case for him being the best to ever lace them up. At the very least I think he has just as much claim to the greatest of his generation as Flair does, but I always thought Terry was better. Flair wrestled the same match or some variation thereof for like 95% of his career while the Funker seemed to never wrestle the same match twice. I think he's probably the best seller in history, and he's really still the gold standard for unhinged promo work. Before I fell asleep last night I watched Terry Funk vs Mark Lewin from Houston wrestling and got super into it. I'm glad I didn't take it for granted.

I wonder if they'll do a live streamed memorial for the public like they did with Jay Briscoe. If they do I hope Mick gives his eulogy, but I could see Dory doing it too if hes feeling up to it. I fully expect Moxley and AEW to do something in his honor tonight. Hopefully they open with a 10 bell at the very least.

RIP Terry.

Edit - this is one of my favorite matches on YouTube... Funk vs Harley Race from 1977 with the inimitable Paul Boesch on ringside commentary (if you look closely there's a teen Bruce Prichard sitting beside him). Watch in 720p for best experience.

Terry Funk was my first wrestling action figure.

Loved his NWA, ECW, and Chainsaw Charlie work too.

RIP

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 821
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #1733 on: August 23, 2023, 06:51:43 PM »
RIP to a legend. Learned a lot about him from Mick Foley's books.
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1734 on: August 24, 2023, 04:27:50 PM »
Holy shit Bray Wyatt is dead. This is an awful week for wrestling.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #1735 on: August 24, 2023, 04:12:40 PM »
Yesterday Terry Funk & now today it is confirmed that Bray Wyatt has passed away as well. Confirmed by his father, Mike Rotunad or as I remember him, IRS. Wild stuff. Something definitely seemed up with him ever since his return. Truly a shame although I was not a huge fan. Wrestling lost some legends this week.....

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1736 on: August 24, 2023, 04:40:12 PM »
Holy crap.   RIP Bray Wyatt.   That is a real shame.   Was only 36.   

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1737 on: August 24, 2023, 05:15:54 PM »
https://youtu.be/aBIKed_9gfg?si=wgzJSMBI_WXNW0gq

Easily his best promo. RIP Bray Wyatt

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1738 on: August 24, 2023, 07:48:06 PM »
Dang, he had a heart attack that I guess was connected to his inability to get medically cleared.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1739 on: August 24, 2023, 11:00:13 PM »
Dang, he had a heart attack that I guess was connected to his inability to get medically cleared.

Apparently he got COVID earlier this year and it exacerbated an existing heart condition. Can't wait for the political vultures to turn every discussion about his death into a vaccine conspiracy. God knows internet wrestling fans are better informed about infectious disease than the consensus of people who've devoted their entire lives to studying that very thing, right?

Anyways, I knew Bray was having health issues but last I heard was that he was doing better and was looking to get back into ring shape. Hard not to draw parallels with Brodie, especially given their shared history.

He reminded me of Kevin Sullivan in that he wasn't always the greatest in the ring but his creativity, charisma, and willingness to push boundaries made him magnetic. You always wanted to know what he was going to say or do. Im really kinda feeling sick over this...Funk was an old man who lived an incredible life but Bray was younger than me and felt like he was poised to write the next chapter of his story.

Kinda wish he had gone out on a higher note than Uncle Howdy, but that's what happens when reality and wrestling collide. RIP Bray.