Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 45061 times)

Baglady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -202
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1740 on: August 25, 2023, 04:35:38 PM »
Came to pay respects to windham RIP. This one sucks

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #1741 on: August 26, 2023, 05:54:07 AM »
Last night’s Smackdown did well on commemorating Bray & Terry as there was a 10 ring for them & two great promos by LA Knight & Cody Rhodes. Hardcore match to honor Terry was lackluster but LA Knight with a win over Finn Balor in the main event was great. All of the footage of both Bray & Terry sprinkled throughout the night was a treat. WWE also put up a 10 greatest moments of Bray on their channel through Peacock

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -223
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1742 on: August 26, 2023, 06:24:55 AM »
Last night’s Smackdown did well on commemorating Bray & Terry as there was a 10 ring for them & two great promos by LA Knight & Cody Rhodes. Hardcore match to honor Terry was lackluster but LA Knight with a win over Finn Balor in the main event was great. All of the footage of both Bray & Terry sprinkled throughout the night was a treat. WWE also put up a 10 greatest moments of Bray on their channel through Peacock

Why do they keep jobbing Finn Bálor out though?
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
« Reply #1743 on: August 26, 2023, 07:35:02 AM »
RIP to both Funk & Rotunda.

-I was re-watching one of Funk's barbed wire matches with Onita. It was great. I remember he gave the coolest intro promo line in Vice's dark side of the ring episode on FMW/Onita. Couldn't find it on YT, but it went something like: "Dangerous like a two-eyed porcupine. Tougher than a two dollar steak. Crazy... crazy like a fox. I'm talking about me: Terry Funk."

-I haven't followed Bray's work in recent time, but I always got the impression that he was never given favorable results at the end of feuds or character arcs. But man, he was so good. I remember learning about one of his early characters that donned a hockey mask named Axl Mulligan.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1744 on: August 26, 2023, 05:43:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Honestly I think it’s to get people behind him as they are going to push him. He will likely split from Judgement Day. I could see him turning face in the near future. For LA Knight, it was a huge win & also a major push. For Finn, he’s unaffected. He’s still in the top dog spot. It was a win win from my point of view.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
« Reply #1745 on: August 26, 2023, 05:44:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Honestly I think it’s to get people behind him as they are going to push him. He will likely split from Judgement Day. I could see him turning face in the near future. For LA Knight, it was a huge win & also a major push. For Finn, he’s unaffected. He’s still in the top dog spot. It was a win win from my point of view.

It’s Damien who’s leaving and JD McDonagh will replace him

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 832
« Reply #1746 on: August 26, 2023, 11:28:54 PM »
Came to pay respects to windham RIP. This one sucks

Nice to see you again and thanks for that. I think this one's so much worse than the usual wrestler death for me for because it's nothing self inflicted and because he really was the personification of modern pro wrestling in a lot of ways. He grew up in the same era of wrestling as me and I could see little bits and pieces of all the stuff I love in his work. Jakes psychology, Sullivan's creativity, Dustys passion, the slightly unhinged promos like Foley, Takers penchant for the dramatic spectacle.... not to mention the elements of his character that he got from Waylon Mercy.

He was like a living, breathing love letter to 80s and 90s wrestling. Plus I always have a special appreciation for the 2nd/3rd generation guys who make their own way and don't just try to inherit their fathers gimmick...Bray always reminded me of Goldust (probably my favorite wrestler of that era) in that regard.

RIP to both Funk & Rotunda.

-I was re-watching one of Funk's barbed wire matches with Onita. It was great. I remember he gave the coolest intro promo line in Vice's dark side of the ring episode on FMW/Onita. Couldn't find it on YT, but it went something like: "Dangerous like a two-eyed porcupine. Tougher than a two dollar steak. Crazy... crazy like a fox. I'm talking about me: Terry Funk."

-I haven't followed Bray's work in recent time, but I always got the impression that he was never given favorable results at the end of feuds or character arcs. But man, he was so good. I remember learning about one of his early characters that donned a hockey mask named Axl Mulligan.

Funk and Foley carried Onita and that dude who always wore tight ass wranglers and 2 white t shirts through some really insane death matches on that run. My first exposure to it was actually a VHS of ICP stranglemania haha.

Brays first few runs were very highly regarded and he was at one point arguably the biggest star in the WWE. He was always really good at building stories but over the years the payoffs started to kind of go off the rails and his matches weren't always well received. His last character of The Fiend kind of exemplified that...it was almost too ambitious and there were parts that were great and parts that were awful (he wrestled a hell in a cell with only bright red lights on and you couldn't see shit) but we never got to see how it was supposed to play out so I don't really know how it will be remembered once the rosey shades come off. There always seemed to be a bigger picture he was working towards.

He won the biggest belt in the company and was at or near the top of the card most of the time so I wouldn't say that the outcomes were mostly unfavorable, but it was more like when it was bad it was really bad and stood out. He became a bit of a punching bag for a minute as a result but I think that was as much because he had set the bar pretty high early on. I think he's going to be remembered very fondly in the long run though.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1747 on: August 27, 2023, 05:15:15 PM »
MJF got a standing ovation for putting a chair on his head and laying down. And it made sense.

Kid is un-fucking-real. This storyline could be as good as the bloodline if they keep it up. I'm not a Cole fan when he's presented as some kind of 180 pound badass, but as a chicken shit potentially becoming friends with MJF just so he can backstab him and take his belt I'm on board.

Stadium stampede was wild too. OC and Moxley will get most of the attention because skewer and taipei death match spots aren't something everyone has seen but Trent was the MVP of that match...took a bunch of nasty bumps and was working his ass off through the whole thing. As soon as Penta went to the back I joked "he's coming back in Sue's van" and we ALMOST got it...as much as I liked the minivan plunder wagon idea, I would have absolutely lost my shit if Penta Oscuro was just sitting in the back sipping a juice box when the door opened.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1749 on: August 27, 2023, 08:25:30 PM »
Tony never fucking learns. Two years in a row this dude has caused a backstage fight that's going to overshadow your biggest show of the year because hes fucking charmin soft. You'd think at some point he'd go "hey there's a common denominator in all this drama" and address it, but he's the biggest punk mark out there.

I just don't get why he's so into a dude who has done far more harm than good for the company... They're succeeding in spite of him, not because of him. Collision is good because they have a huge roster of talented folks who were battling for 2 hours of TV time a week and can now have storylines and personalities, not because Punk is involved. Also he's not good in the ring and never really was, the only reason he ever got over was because Vince was shoving Cena and HHH down people's throats so hard he instinctively offered them a settlement and the fans half-ironically chose punk as their "savior". I legit dozed off during his match and Joe is one of my favorite wrestlers, so it's not easy to lose me when he's on but Punk is like watching cheap paint dry.

WPG

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1750 on: August 27, 2023, 10:41:59 PM »
My TV provider had the start time for the show fucked up so I missed the pre show and Samoa Joe match while spatchcoking some chickens for smoking. Thought the arena looked great and as a West Ham fan and Bobby Moore being the "Master of Wembley" it was great to see a show there. Sound was a lil messed up at points but the crowd was great.

Match of the night was FTR vs Young Bucks for me, best tag teams of this era and good on AEW for Revivaling tag team wrestling.

Jericho vs Will wouldve been match of the night but I felt Ospreay took much too long on 2 or 3 spots and it took me out of an otherwise great match. The build up and match shows Jericho can still go with the best and should be considered one of the greatest (taking away him never being a top guy in the fed or WCW, he did add tons of prestige to the AEW title and AEW itself when it began)

Main event was great story telling if a little much, as always MJF is a generational talent. He might be one of the only special attraction draws who almost never wrestles who isnt a Genetic Freak.

Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1751 on: August 28, 2023, 07:53:05 PM »
I still can’t believe that the Bucks and/or FTR have touted themselves as the greatest tag team. This is the DSM definition of delusion of grandeur. Comical but clinically concerning….

Also read that the UK was singing “Wheeler’s got a Gun” for AEW’s tough guy, Ca$h Wheeler.

Punk; my theory is the only way he can stay relevant is to create backstage controversy. Not good in the ring as I thought he was going to drop Samoa Joe during the Golden Vampire stunt which was also a half assed mess & radiates the dumpster fire known as 99-2000 WCW.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 09:31:39 AM by Mr. Kamikazi »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1752 on: August 28, 2023, 08:40:08 PM »
I still can’t believe that the Bucks and/or FTR have touted themselves as the greatest tag team is the DSM definition of delusion of grandeur. Comical but clinically concerning….

Also read that the UK was singing “Wheeler’s got a Gun” for AEW’s tough guy, Ca$h Wheeler.

Punk; my theory is the only way he can stay relevant is to create backstage controversy. Not good in the ring as I thought he was going to drop Samoa Joe during the Golden Vampire stunt which was also a half assed mess & radiates the dumpster fire known as 99-2000 WCW.

Greatest ever?  Maybe not.   Greatest of past 20 something years, sure!   

Also, yeah Punk would be better turning the other cheek, but Perry did instigate this one by talking shit to punk on camera as he was exiting.    Think it’s good for him to toughen up his heel persona

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1753 on: August 29, 2023, 09:35:32 AM »
Expand Quote
I still can’t believe that the Bucks and/or FTR have touted themselves as the greatest tag team is the DSM definition of delusion of grandeur. Comical but clinically concerning….

[close]

Also, yeah Punk would be better turning the other cheek, but Perry did instigate this one by talking shit to punk on camera as he was exiting.    Think it’s good for him to toughen up his heel persona

Come on! Greatest in the past 20 years?!?

What criteria are we using? The USOS alone are miles ahead of them. 20 years ago we had Edge & Christian. Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin. Brothers of Destruction. Nash & Hall. FTR?????????? Two WWE cuts who did some maybe notable overseas stuff & got lucky that Khan thought their “old school” look/mentality was cool & gave them a new wave song to come out to & say whatever they want on a microphone.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 03:10:27 PM by Mr. Kamikazi »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1754 on: August 29, 2023, 10:08:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

What criteria are we using? The USOS alone are miles ahead of them. 20 years ago we had Edge & Christian. Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin. Brothers of Destruction. Nash & Hall. FTR?????????? Two WWE cuts who did some missy notable overseas stuff & got lucky that Khan thought their “old school” look/mentality was cool & gave them a new wave song to come out to & say whatever they want on a microphone.

Nash and Hall???   Did they have some good matches in TNA I missed?

Those are memorable tag pairings (I guess), but I don’t really think they’ve had any classic matches outside of Edge and Christian TLC matches which aren’t really tag matches.

I think we might be pretty far on this topic bc you strike me that as someone who by and large enjoys the wrestling product from the Fed.   

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1755 on: August 29, 2023, 10:16:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

What criteria are we using? The USOS alone are miles ahead of them. 20 years ago we had Edge & Christian. Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin. Brothers of Destruction. Nash & Hall. FTR?????????? Two WWE cuts who did some missy notable overseas stuff & got lucky that Khan thought their “old school” look/mentality was cool & gave them a new wave song to come out to & say whatever they want on a microphone.
[close]

Those are memorable tag pairings (I guess), but I don’t really think they’ve had any classic matches outside of Edge and Christian TLC matches which aren’t really tag matches.

I think we might be pretty far on this topic bc you strike me that as someone who by and large enjoys the wrestling product from the Fed.

I’d say the eliminators are up there is one of the greatest tag teams of all time.

Sabu and RVD too.

I think the most underrated tag team right now are Kaiser and Vinci. They’re so perfectly in sync with their double teams.

Also, The Miz is living up to goat potential in this LA Knight feud. He’s been frying LA Knight with every promo he cuts.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1756 on: August 29, 2023, 10:18:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I’d say the eliminators are up there is one of the greatest tag teams of all time.

Sabu and RVD too.

I think the most underrated tag team right now are Kaiser and Vinci. They’re so perfectly in sync with their double teams.

Also, The Miz is living up to goat potential in this LA Knight feud. He’s been frying LA Knight with every promo he cuts.

When did anyone ever sayThe Miz has Goat potential??   

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1757 on: August 29, 2023, 10:24:01 AM »
My TV provider had the start time for the show fucked up so I missed the pre show and Samoa Joe match while spatchcoking some chickens for smoking. Thought the arena looked great and as a West Ham fan and Bobby Moore being the "Master of Wembley" it was great to see a show there. Sound was a lil messed up at points but the crowd was great.

Match of the night was FTR vs Young Bucks for me, best tag teams of this era and good on AEW for Revivaling tag team wrestling.

Jericho vs Will wouldve been match of the night but I felt Ospreay took much too long on 2 or 3 spots and it took me out of an otherwise great match. The build up and match shows Jericho can still go with the best and should be considered one of the greatest (taking away him never being a top guy in the fed or WCW, he did add tons of prestige to the AEW title and AEW itself when it began)

Main event was great story telling if a little much, as always MJF is a generational talent. He might be one of the only special attraction draws who almost never wrestles who isnt a Genetic Freak.

@WPG You need to start working your local indys with a creepy chef gimmick named Alfred Spatchcock.

The main event wasn't the best wrestling match but the storytelling was immaculately done. The feel good swerve ending wasn't necessarily the direction I wanted it to go but Im happy to keep the ball rolling on this one. I actually think I enjoyed the tag match more from a wrestling perspective because MJF was super on.. had the crowd in the palm of his hand the whole match and the pop he got for the kangaroo kick was amazing. Might have been my favorite single spot of the night honestly.

I feel you on the Jericho Ospreay match...I know Jericho is your boy. I felt the same way about the 6 man with Kenny, Ibushi, and Hangman... On paper that should have stolen the show but it dragged bad and the finish went over like a beer fart with the windows rolled up. 20 minutes of building up to a shitty roll up finish? The crowd just went silent.

Stadium stampede started cold and ended absolutely nuts. Some classic ECW style madness and the finish was great. I thought it was hilarious Eddie took a 10 minute break in the middle of the match and then came out huffing and puffing for the finish spot while Claudio worked his huge muscled ass off all over the arena for the entire thing and then ate the pin.

Women's match was ok but it's kind of fucked up that Emi Sakura's whole thing is Queen and she wasn't even on the preshow while Saraya came out to it for a shitty vanity pop. I hope she drops the belt in like a week, she's just not very good compared to some of the girls nowadays.

Sting and Darby was fun. I'm starting to think getting his hands bound behind his back is Darby's kink. Sting butt smooshing Swerve through a table was my other big smile of the night.

Trios champ match was good too but Brodys white tights were too big and looked like a diaper. The acclaimed aren't that good in the ring (and Billy never was and still isn't), but HOB can get a decent match out of damn near anyone.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1758 on: August 29, 2023, 10:40:23 AM »
Acclaimed work so well with Gunn because they are such an Attitude Era act.   Super over sexual catchphrase, fun on the mic, passable enough matches.   

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1759 on: August 29, 2023, 12:08:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Sabu and RVD too.

[close]

The Miz is one of the best talkers in wrestling right now. I’d say even better than MJF. He’s pretty good in the ring too.

His work in this LA Knight feud is making it more apparent.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1760 on: August 29, 2023, 02:57:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Sabu and RVD too.

[close]

[close]

The Miz is one of the best talkers in wrestling right now. I’d say even better than MJF. He’s pretty good in the ring too.

No way. Miz is very good at what he does but MJF lives his gimmick and just does not miss. I have never heard him lose a crowd (unintentionally) or really even stumble and I can't say that for the Miz.  Also the MJF character has layers...there's a lot going on there and he explores and juggles all of it really well.

Miz is what I'd call the modern version of a Mr. Perfect style "good hand"...he can be trusted to make everyone involved look good and is capable of stepping up for a main event here and there but is fundamentally just not a company carrier. I have a lot of respect for Miz (he's really made chicken salad out of chicken shit a few times over the years) but MJF is one of the best storytellers both in and out of the ring I've ever seen.

I was thinking about the Punk drama and wondering if they're going to have to change plans around MJF yet again because of Punk's inability to take criticism (despite his love of giving it). I think the whole real world's champ thing was to set up MJF vs Punk and at some point Cole would betray MJF and make him worse than ever before, but if Punk quits then I don't know where they pivot. If they get Edge, maybe to him or Christian.

I just saw the Brian Alvarez stuff where apparently after Punk went after JB he almost got into it with Miro. Sounds like the locker room has pretty much had it with him. Dude is ruining his legacy by the day. No wonder no one in WWE wants anything to do with him and the guys who had to work with him often don't have the kindest things to say. He seems like a pretty insufferable asshole. By the end of the year Collision is just going to be him, Joe, the FTR that isn't in jail, and Brody King wrestling jobbers every week.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1761 on: August 29, 2023, 03:15:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Sabu and RVD too.

Gnar'd for the comment about Imperium although I think Kaiser is getting a singles push soon. Huuuuge fan of Kaiser & Gunther. Vinci is just henchman for now (if anything).  I agree with the comment about the Miz as his promo last night was hilarious. I haven't actually laughed at something related to wrestling in a while. However, he is not better than MJF. MJF is more unhinged but in the most calculated way possible. He does micro assessments that register at lightening speed because even when what he says is wild or borderline clown town, it still keeps things moving & alive.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1762 on: August 29, 2023, 05:30:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I am just talking as far as image, consistency & how they look in the ring. What the hell is FTR even going for. Again, they remind me of guys that never were in the field but somehow got promoted to the top & actually believe they are certified to do the job. Its because they held all of the tag team championships in all of the major promotions? Are they memorable matches? I am a FED guy for sure but trust me when I say I would love to see AEW do well. It's just not the case & guys like FTR claiming they are the greatest tag team ever is not helping. Then you have the Bucks who do exploding kicks while Mox is on his knees patiently waiting to bleed for his addiction to be a stunt double.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1763 on: August 29, 2023, 06:31:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Sabu and RVD too.

[close]

Gnar'd for the comment about Imperium although I think Kaiser is getting a singles push soon. Huuuuge fan of Kaiser & Gunther. Vinci is just henchman for now (if anything).  I agree with the comment about the Miz as his promo last night was hilarious. I haven't actually laughed at something related to wrestling in a while. However, he is not better than MJF. MJF is more unhinged but in the most calculated way possible. He does micro assessments that register at lightening speed because even when what he says is wild or borderline clown town, it still keeps things moving & alive.

I’ll say Miz could adapt to the AEW programming easily, but MJF would struggle with the leash WWE programming would put him in if the feds were reversed.

MJF is great in AEW because he’s unbridled there.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1764 on: August 29, 2023, 06:34:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Sabu and RVD too.

[close]

[close]

[close]

No way. Miz is very good at what he does but MJF lives his gimmick and just does not miss. I have never heard him lose a crowd (unintentionally) or really even stumble and I can't say that for the Miz.  Also the MJF character has layers...there's a lot going on there and he explores and juggles all of it really well.

Miz is what I'd call the modern version of a Mr. Perfect style "good hand"...he can be trusted to make everyone involved look good and is capable of stepping up for a main event here and there but is fundamentally just not a company carrier. I have a lot of respect for Miz (he's really made chicken salad out of chicken shit a few times over the years) but MJF is one of the best storytellers both in and out of the ring I've ever seen.

I was thinking about the Punk drama and wondering if they're going to have to change plans around MJF yet again because of Punk's inability to take criticism (despite his love of giving it). I think the whole real world's champ thing was to set up MJF vs Punk and at some point Cole would betray MJF and make him worse than ever before, but if Punk quits then I don't know where they pivot. If they get Edge, maybe to him or Christian.

I just saw the Brian Alvarez stuff where apparently after Punk went after JB he almost got into it with Miro. Sounds like the locker room has pretty much had it with him. Dude is ruining his legacy by the day. No wonder no one in WWE wants anything to do with him and the guys who had to work with him often don't have the kindest things to say. He seems like a pretty insufferable asshole. By the end of the year Collision is just going to be him, Joe, the FTR that isn't in jail, and Brody King wrestling jobbers every week.

LA Knight will only get better working this program with Miz.

I’ll say CM Punk and Jungle Dork are both at fault for this debacle.

Like glass in a spot is the hill he wants to die on?

He’s not Necro Butcher.

This isn’t FMW or W*ING lol.

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1765 on: August 30, 2023, 06:15:40 AM »
Man, sounds like I missed a decent episode of RAW.

My mother in law has been in town all week so she got to watch Dynamite, Smackdown, Rampage, Collision, and All In.

Yesterday she looks at me and says "Please, please, no wrestling tonight!"

I thought All In was really strong. Some of it could be better, but nothing straight up sucked.

I figured out the pre show was on YouTube just in time to see the kangaroo kick and I gotta say, MJF could figure out how to get a paper clip over. He built up that kangaroo kick for weeks and the payoff was so damn sweet.

I'm honestly shocked that FTR went over. With the arrest and the fact that Bucks are EVP's I figured they would just be like "Yep were gonna take this one."

Julia Hart getting the "Scissor Me Timbers" was funny.

Agree that the 6 man fell flat. I'm not the biggest fan of surprise roll up wins unless it's like an underdog winning. For a match like that, it seems like a cop out so no one has to take a finisher and get beat straight up. But Kenny v. Takeshita will be great though.

Obviously, Saraya was gonna take that W. No way they could have her not win that.

If I was Tony I would have Punk jobbing to Peter Avalon for the next 2 months. Make Avalon the real world champ and just start destroying and discrediting Punk's whole career. Start an angle where Punk goes to a mental institution and we come to find out that the Summer of Punk wasn't even real and never happened, it was all a dream. Then have him lose to Marko Stunt for a month. Then he goes batshit crazy and starts trying to go after The Elite. This leads to him losing to Brandon Cutler for a month.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1766 on: August 30, 2023, 06:48:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Sabu and RVD too.

[close]

[close]

I’ll say Miz could adapt to the AEW programming easily, but MJF would struggle with the leash WWE programming would put him in if the feds were reversed.

MJF is great in AEW because he’s unbridled there.

I don’t think not being able to handle WWE’s muzzling of talent through scripted promos and terrible creative is the hit against MJF you think it is.   

Miz in AEW would get Cena in ECW vs RVD reactions.   That’s the epitome of sports entertainment meh-ness that necessitated AEW to exist

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1767 on: August 30, 2023, 07:05:02 AM »
Also, how the hell do people like Eddie Kingston? Somehow he’s credited with being good on the microphone? His gimmick reminds me of the new guy/new stepdad that comes into a kids life, wants to be cool but actually is just a slob & plays video games on his system he never shares. He also does not look well in the ring. Uncoordinated & slap boxing at times.

On a different note, I’m excited to see this Chad Gable push as he will undoubtedly meet my Kurt Angle needs. Super talented & incredible strength. Love that his finisher is a bridged German Suplex.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1768 on: August 30, 2023, 01:21:23 PM »
Also, how the hell do people like Eddie Kingston? Somehow he’s credited with being good on the microphone? His gimmick reminds me of the new guy/new stepdad that comes into a kids life, wants to be cool but actually is just a slob & plays video games on his system he never shares. He also does not look well in the ring. Uncoordinated & slap boxing at times.

On a different note, I’m excited to see this Chad Gable push as he will undoubtedly meet my Kurt Angle needs. Super talented & incredible strength. Love that his finisher is a bridged German Suplex.

I think it's mostly leftover goodwill from his Indy runs a decade ago when he could still go a little and the fact that the modern wrestling audience finds the pudgy, uncoordinated guy who hates everyone relatable (shocker, I know). Don't underestimate Everyman appeal. He can cut a decent promo but has the same problem as Moxley where it's the same promo reworded every time. I liked him a lot in his Chikara run but I don't understand people clamoring for him to get some main event push in 2023....he can barely go ten minutes without gassing in a walk and brawl and basically every time they put him in with main eventers he looks slow and out of his depth. People who keep making the Foley comparison ignore the fact that Mick was deceptively athletic and could wrestle long, demanding matches as well as anyone in the company when he got his push.

He’s not Necro Butcher.

From what I understand it wasn't real glass like FMW used to do, I think he just wanted to do a windshield spot (probably basically the same one he did on the PPV) which AEW has done literally dozens of times and we all know was an attitude era staple. He had gotten permission from AEW - who even paid to rent the car -and then showed up to the show and Punk threw his hissy fit. It is also a little suspicious that all the people Punk caused problems with on collision (Daniels, Hangman, nemeth, JB) were close to the bucks, almost like hes got an ulterior motive or something.

The person that deserves all the blame is Tony. Literally any competent manager would have actually addressed this at some point but he's a mark and particularly a mark for punk. I honestly kind of hope collision just fucking blows up in his face and he learns his lesson, but I would not be surprised if he just came up with yet another "solution" that doesn't address the actual problem in any way because he doesn't want the boys to be mad at him.

I agree LA knight will get better working with Miz and I think that's where his real value is - he's extremely good at elevating others. Kind of an upper card gatekeeper I guess. Dudes great and I dig him but he aint MJF. I would love to see them in a tag team with the smug douchery cranked up to 11 though.

Fun little fact I stole from reddit - the kangaroo kick is a real move from a depression era wrestler and is kinda where the dropkick originated. The guy who invented it was an undersized Jewish guy from New York, so I have to believe it's not just a coincidence that he's using it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abe_Coleman

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1769 on: August 30, 2023, 07:11:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think it's mostly leftover goodwill from his Indy runs a decade ago when he could still go a little and the fact that the modern wrestling audience finds the pudgy, uncoordinated guy who hates everyone relatable (shocker, I know). Don't underestimate Everyman appeal. He can cut a decent promo but has the same problem as Moxley where it's the same promo reworded every time. I liked him a lot in his Chikara run but I don't understand people clamoring for him to get some main event push in 2023....he can barely go ten minutes without gassing in a walk and brawl and basically every time they put him in with main eventers he looks slow and out of his depth. People who keep making the Foley comparison ignore the fact that Mick was deceptively athletic and could wrestle long, demanding matches as well as anyone in the company when he got his push.

Expand Quote

He’s not Necro Butcher.

[close]

From what I understand it wasn't real glass like FMW used to do, I think he just wanted to do a windshield spot (probably basically the same one he did on the PPV) which AEW has done literally dozens of times and we all know was an attitude era staple. He had gotten permission from AEW - who even paid to rent the car -and then showed up to the show and Punk threw his hissy fit. It is also a little suspicious that all the people Punk caused problems with on collision (Daniels, Hangman, nemeth, JB) were close to the bucks, almost like hes got an ulterior motive or something.

The person that deserves all the blame is Tony. Literally any competent manager would have actually addressed this at some point but he's a mark and particularly a mark for punk. I honestly kind of hope collision just fucking blows up in his face and he learns his lesson, but I would not be surprised if he just came up with yet another "solution" that doesn't address the actual problem in any way because he doesn't want the boys to be mad at him.

I agree LA knight will get better working with Miz and I think that's where his real value is - he's extremely good at elevating others. Kind of an upper card gatekeeper I guess. Dudes great and I dig him but he aint MJF. I would love to see them in a tag team with the smug douchery cranked up to 11 though.

Fun little fact I stole from reddit - the kangaroo kick is a real move from a depression era wrestler and is kinda where the dropkick originated. The guy who invented it was an undersized Jewish guy from New York, so I have to believe it's not just a coincidence that he's using it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abe_Coleman

Boy oh boy, Mick Foley comparisons!?!? When the hell has Foley taken 10 steps toward the ring & got winded….

Mick could move & still had style. He owned everything he did & delivered. Looked great in ring. I should not be surprised as fans are generally idiots. Though I must admit I consider everyone on this thread the real deal.