Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 45005 times)

PatrickSkateman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -223
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1830 on: September 18, 2023, 07:38:59 PM »
Expand Quote
They actually are pushing Miro...they just brought CJ (as his "hot and flexible" wife) in for the storyline. He's in a program with Powerhouse Hobbs and it's just getting going but has been good so far. They definitely wasted him for a long time, but I'm hoping he's going to be a focal point for collision going forward. I don't have a lot of faith in TK booking, but it should be hard to fuck it up given how good both guys are and the fact CJ is actually a fantastic promo (loved her as Lana), plus collision seems to do more pre-tapes than live promos which is where they really shine.

Kurt is from the other end of Pittsburgh from me. He's kind of a local celebrity but interestingly his family is somewhat notorious for being kind of stereotypical violent trashy yinzers. Eric (the one that WWF used as a body double) got caught selling roids and got thrown out of a youth wrestling tournament after chokeslamming an 8 year old - I wish I was making that up. I cant remember if he got arrested for that one but he might have. Kurts older brother killed his wife by dragging her off the couch and standing on her chest while pulling on her arms and caved in her chest. Again, wish I was making this up. Iirc Kurts sister died of a heroin overdose as well. When Kurt talks about his demons, a lot of people don't realize how deep they run... I suppose they're kind of like the Pittsburgh Harts in a way.

Pittsburgh doesn't have the best wrestling tradition aside from Bruno and Kurt haha. We can also claim Shane Douglas, Corey Graves, Britt Baker, Rob Conway, and Elias but I'm not sure why anyone would want to.

Oh I guess there's Denucci too...Foley tells some pretty great stories about training with him in his first book. He's always been really good about showing love to us when he comes here because of that and the fact hes forever linked with the city because of Hell in a Cell 98.
[close]

I’d like to add Foxcatcher into PA wrestling tradition.  Angle was there

Virgil’s from Pittsburgh.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 832
« Reply #1831 on: September 19, 2023, 03:43:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
They actually are pushing Miro...they just brought CJ (as his "hot and flexible" wife) in for the storyline. He's in a program with Powerhouse Hobbs and it's just getting going but has been good so far. They definitely wasted him for a long time, but I'm hoping he's going to be a focal point for collision going forward. I don't have a lot of faith in TK booking, but it should be hard to fuck it up given how good both guys are and the fact CJ is actually a fantastic promo (loved her as Lana), plus collision seems to do more pre-tapes than live promos which is where they really shine.

Kurt is from the other end of Pittsburgh from me. He's kind of a local celebrity but interestingly his family is somewhat notorious for being kind of stereotypical violent trashy yinzers. Eric (the one that WWF used as a body double) got caught selling roids and got thrown out of a youth wrestling tournament after chokeslamming an 8 year old - I wish I was making that up. I cant remember if he got arrested for that one but he might have. Kurts older brother killed his wife by dragging her off the couch and standing on her chest while pulling on her arms and caved in her chest. Again, wish I was making this up. Iirc Kurts sister died of a heroin overdose as well. When Kurt talks about his demons, a lot of people don't realize how deep they run... I suppose they're kind of like the Pittsburgh Harts in a way.

Pittsburgh doesn't have the best wrestling tradition aside from Bruno and Kurt haha. We can also claim Shane Douglas, Corey Graves, Britt Baker, Rob Conway, and Elias but I'm not sure why anyone would want to.

Oh I guess there's Denucci too...Foley tells some pretty great stories about training with him in his first book. He's always been really good about showing love to us when he comes here because of that and the fact hes forever linked with the city because of Hell in a Cell 98.
[close]

[close]

Good call, I can't believe I forgot him... I used to buy smack off someone in the Wilkinsburg area that claimed he was related to him. He constantly shorted me so given all the stories about Virgil in retirement I guess I believe it haha.

You just reminded me of this legendary tweet from last year

https://twitter.com/TheRealVirgil/status/1575291603299753984

And that reminded me of the story in Foley's book about Virgil getting to Memphis? (Might have been a different territory) and walking around naked all the time bragging about how big his dick was until Rob Fuller showed up and put him to shame. Foley said he never quite recovered from that haha

I was going to embed this but it might qualify as nsfw depending on where you work.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CDI6KAdWMAEj1K_?format=jpg&name=medium

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1832 on: September 19, 2023, 07:42:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Good call, I can't believe I forgot him... I used to buy smack off someone in the Wilkinsburg area that claimed he was related to him. He constantly shorted me so given all the stories about Virgil in retirement I guess I believe it haha.

And that reminded me of the story in Foley's book about Virgil getting to Memphis? (Might have been a different territory) and walking around naked all the time bragging about how big his dick was until Rob Fuller showed up and put him to shame. Foley said he never quite recovered from that haha

I was going to embed this but it might qualify as nsfw depending on where you work.

I heard Virgil doesn’t actually write any of those tweets. It’s some white guy who runs his account like the Iron Sheik had.

I’m going to my second AEW Grand Slam tomorrow night and I can’t wait.

Also headed to the Burgh this weekend and may have to skate the Atwood lot and maybe Milliones if I’ve got some free time.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
« Reply #1833 on: September 19, 2023, 09:07:08 PM »
Just realized Brock Sampson from Venture Brothers reminds me of Magnum TA without the Selleck stache

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1834 on: September 20, 2023, 04:18:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I heard Virgil doesn’t actually write any of those tweets. It’s some white guy who runs his account like the Iron Sheik had.

Also headed to the Burgh this weekend and may have to skate the Atwood lot and maybe Milliones if I’ve got some free time.

Fuck dude when are you gonna be here? I'm actually going up to slippery rock for the weekend to visit some friends. You picked the first weekend in like months that I won't be home hahaha.

Milliones was a little messy on the run up a few weeks ago but it's nothing a good sweep or a bigger wheel can't handle...shits still an accidental skatepark haha. I have no clue how Evan Smith and those dudes skate the big bank, last time I looked at it the cracks were so big vines were growing out of it. Really is the quintessential pgh spot though and its been cool to see it still poppinf up in lakai and thrasher videos recently. I got broke the fuck off bombing the hill down to centre a few years ago and I get still like mild ptsd when I walk up it haha.

Have you heard about our new DIY? It's the old boundary st playground down in panther hollow and it's pretty fun. I think it's marked on Google maps but if not just take centre away from downtown til you hit Neville St, then hang a right and follow that all the way down into the hollow, once you get across the train tracks and under the bridge boundary st will be your first left. 5 minute drive from Milliones. You could probably skate it almost as fast if there was no such thing as traffic because it's basically downhill the entire way and you know how steep those hills are haha.

If you haven't been to radio yet definitely check that out if you're passing through Bloomfield and have a minute. They always have great shop tees. If you need a board or anything else just lemme know and I'll leave it with the secretary or stash it somewhere for you before I leave.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1835 on: September 20, 2023, 10:10:38 PM »
Rey Fenix wins the strap of Moxley in a precautionary move.   Hope they stick with it and don’t 50/50 it back when Mox gets cleared

Don’t like Sammy, but I like the booking of Callis taking his closest wrestlers’ protégés

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1836 on: September 21, 2023, 09:56:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Fuck dude when are you gonna be here? I'm actually going up to slippery rock for the weekend to visit some friends. You picked the first weekend in like months that I won't be home hahaha.

Milliones was a little messy on the run up a few weeks ago but it's nothing a good sweep or a bigger wheel can't handle...shits still an accidental skatepark haha. I have no clue how Evan Smith and those dudes skate the big bank, last time I looked at it the cracks were so big vines were growing out of it. Really is the quintessential pgh spot though and its been cool to see it still poppinf up in lakai and thrasher videos recently. I got broke the fuck off bombing the hill down to centre a few years ago and I get still like mild ptsd when I walk up it haha.

Have you heard about our new DIY? It's the old boundary st playground down in panther hollow and it's pretty fun. I think it's marked on Google maps but if not just take centre away from downtown til you hit Neville St, then hang a right and follow that all the way down into the hollow, once you get across the train tracks and under the bridge boundary st will be your first left. 5 minute drive from Milliones. You could probably skate it almost as fast if there was no such thing as traffic because it's basically downhill the entire way and you know how steep those hills are haha.

If you haven't been to radio yet definitely check that out if you're passing through Bloomfield and have a minute. They always have great shop tees. If you need a board or anything else just lemme know and I'll leave it with the secretary or stash it somewhere for you before I leave.

I should be there Saturday afternoon. Staying in East Liberty.

Crazy to think I was skating Milliones 23 years ago. I always had fun at that spot, even with seasonal allergies. I did classroom observations there as an undergrad and lived in one of the fraternity houses right by it.

I hadn’t heard too much about the DIY in Oakland. I’ve skated the DIY by church brew Works in Bloomfield. I know that one’s come along way since I was there last. My friends built that one.

I always hated going to house parties in that part of Oakland.

Haven’t been to radio yet, but I remember when it was overcast. I know they had some issue with a fire or some thing. I’ll probably go check radio out while I’m there. I was around for when One Up first opened. My friends opened that shop. I used to skate 885 all the time on weeknights during the winter. Those were fun times.

Grand slam last night was pretty fun. I can give you guys spoilers for rampage if you want. One funny thing that they did off camera was they got Daniel Garcia to talk Tony Kahn into doing that dance lol. I actually really like the Sammy Guevara - Don Callis partnership. Dan Calais got so much heat when he talked. You couldn’t hear him because of how loud the crowd was. It was a complete shut out. The last two performers I saw get shut out due to heat were Elias at an NXT show when he first used the Drifter gimmick and Dan Lambert at the first Grand Slam.

They put more emphasis on rampage than they did on Dynamite. The Moxley pin botch  definitely weird to see in person. The crowd was also very anti-Claudio and pro Kingston. I figured that would be the case with New Yorkers.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1837 on: September 21, 2023, 03:44:39 PM »
Mustafa Ali
Emma
Elias
Top Dolla
Rick Boogs
Riddick Moss
Aliyah
Shelton Benjamin
Dolph Ziggler
MACE
Mansoor
Dana Brooke
Commander Azeez aka Dabba-Kato
Shanky
Quincy Elliott
Bryson Montana
Yulisa Leon
Daniel McArthur

I guess none are super exciting and feel inevitable except Ali

Definitely see Tony Khan leaping at the chance to sign Mustafa Ali (particularly because of shared cultural background).   

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1838 on: September 21, 2023, 04:04:41 PM »
Mustafa Ali
Emma
Elias
Top Dolla
Rick Boogs
Riddick Moss
Aliyah
Shelton Benjamin
Dolph Ziggler
MACE
Mansoor
Dana Brooke
Commander Azeez aka Dabba-Kato
Shanky
Quincy Elliott
Bryson Montana
Yulisa Leon
Daniel McArthur

I guess none are super exciting and feel inevitable except Ali

Definitely see Tony Khan leaping at the chance to sign Mustafa Ali (particularly because of shared cultural background).

Shelton and Dolph would thrive in AEW.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1839 on: September 21, 2023, 04:35:40 PM »
I kinda wonder if Dolph isn't gonna come do a feel-good program with his brother.

I could maybe fuck with Dabba Kato since you know how I like the giants but I don't know if most of the AEW audience would give a shit about him.

Pat dude you're gonna be close to my spot but I'll be up north scaring people with the Sam Mohawk story on Saturday. Watch out for the spotted lantern flies all over the east end but especially in Oakland... I've never seen anything like it, once the sun comes out they swarm in shady spots and you can kill thousands at a time, then come back ten minutes later and there will be a new layer over the dead ones. They don't really fly either, they just jump high enough to latch on your clothes and hair and whatever the fuck else they can grab on to. Shit makes stink bugs and gypsy moths look like child's play.

Grand slam looked really good from what I saw. I'm going to watch the rest here shortly before football starts. I already watched the MJF stuff of course and Jesus Christ they need to get a new ramp setup or put up bowling lane bumpers on it to keep the talent from jumping off or something. That's exactly what set off all the Punk drama, so I would laugh so hard if they turn it into a storyline where Cole just becomes an insufferable asshole and starts fights with everyone over perceived slights.

Didn't Moxley get hurt in a ramp related incident at some point too or am I misremembering that?

Also saw the Fenix thing. Even if it was a complete fluke you know I'm gonna be stoked about my boy wearing a belt. Dude is definitely worthy of the belt too, so it's not even like it's a booking disaster. I would love if they pivot it off into a mini feud because if I'm gonna have to watch Moxley every week I might as well get some lucha bros with it right? I kinda hate that the marks were instantly bitching about it and calling him unsafe because both he and penta are known to "work snug" but that's wrestling these days.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1840 on: September 21, 2023, 05:37:42 PM »
I think you’re thinking of BD getting his leg stuck between the ring and the ramp

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1841 on: September 21, 2023, 11:24:06 PM »
Curious how Becky, Drew and Sheamus’s expiring contracts go with WWE in a post merger cost cutting mood.    I could see them saying good bye to all three (maaaaybe keeping Becky, but I feel like they think Rhea has already surpassed her in popularity now)

Re: Impact.   If anything could get me to check out a PPV, Speedball vs Osprey and Shelley vs Alexander is the way to start tempting me

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1842 on: September 22, 2023, 02:31:12 AM »
I think you’re thinking of BD getting his leg stuck between the ring and the ramp

No I actually forgot about that one too haha. I looked it up and he didnt get hurt, just fell off it in a pretty hilarious way during the Hangman feud. Someone needs to make an AEW ramp highlight video.

Watched the rest of grand slam...

That was the best Eddie match I've seen in like a decade. Cue the comments about Claudio and a broomstick haha. Even if he did spend a lot of it in rest holds or selling on his back they kept a fairly steady pace up through the build/shine segments and once the heat started the crowd really perked up. I kinda thought Eddie was winning as soon as they gave him the prematch walkout cam but being a loveable loser is kind of his gimmick so I wasn't entirely sure. Gonna be interesting to see how his defenses go, but this was pretty clean and the crowd was hot so solid work from Kingston there. Good stuff.

Love Jericho but I wasn't really in the mood to put up with Sammy's bullshit selling so I skipped most of that. Unfortunately one of the spots I stopped to watch for a second was seeing Sammy go for the cover after his codebreaker and I didn't know whether to crack up, cry, or vomit.

Wow Saraya is really shit at wrestling. It would be one thing if she was cool and a good example for the other girls and whatnot, but she's also a complete carny chav piece of shit and an awful person in her private life. I think some people just excuse it because they still feel bad all those videos of her shoving things up her butt for Brad Maddox got leaked, but she brings nothing of value to the company.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1843 on: September 22, 2023, 03:14:50 AM »
Had no idea Saraya sucked as a person.   She obviously didn’t strike me as a chill person though.   Didn’t hear about the butt stuff, I thought it was just Xavier Woods she had a video with. 

I also think she gets a pass because she came back from injury, was with Alberto Del Rio AND had the sex tape leaked

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1844 on: September 24, 2023, 03:37:55 AM »
Had no idea Saraya sucked as a person.   She obviously didn’t strike me as a chill person though.   Didn’t hear about the butt stuff, I thought it was just Xavier Woods she had a video with. 

I also think she gets a pass because she came back from injury, was with Alberto Del Rio AND had the sex tape leaked

The one that everyone makes jokes out about was the one with Xavier where Maddox is filming them from 3 feet away like a total cuck creep, but there's like probably 20-30ish vids that got leaked where you can also see her engaging in such classy behavior as giving him a blow job while she's on the phone with someone and banging him in a public dressing room. I haven't seen them since it all went down (no pun intended) so there may be even more that I don't remember.

Interestingly, Her boyfriend now is somehow an even bigger piece of shit than Del Rio or Maddox. I'm expecting her to move on to a mass murderer next. Her family are genuine carnies and terrible people as well so it's not really a surprise that she turned out this way, but it is a little disappointing.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1845 on: September 24, 2023, 08:24:41 AM »
Was watching a Terry Funk shoot with corny and he told the craziest fucking story I've ever heard. Now we all know how many headshots he took and some of his stories are a little...off...like the one about a child Billy Bob Thornton jacking off a dog. This one sounded so fucking insane I assumed it was the same...then I googled it.

Holy shit. The way Terry told it, when he got her outside he made it to the car and body slammed her on the hood before being arrested. He didn't mention the kid though.

It's so old that we can't really beg Busey for dark side on it but that has to be the absolute craziest story involving a wrestler I have ever heard. They talked about Dr. Jerry Graham not being a gimmick and being actually insane and it reminded me of something that I just know for some reason....Vince McMahon's favorite wrestler as a kid was Dr. Jerry Graham.

Cornette tells the story in this season of Dark Side! Or maybe in was Tales from the Territories? One of the two. I first heard it in this six part episode of Behind the Bastards about Vince McMahon. Fucking insane.

https://youtu.be/JLdaMY9n_Oc?si=q4jtzMZqWUCDj8vd

And yep, Saraya is dating a dude with an ongoing history of domestic abuse and other violent crimes including singing in a screamo-rap band:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/avnxkp/ronnie-radke-falling-in-reverse-worst-song-ever

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1846 on: September 24, 2023, 07:00:14 PM »
Anyone catch the OVW documentary on Netflix?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1847 on: September 24, 2023, 07:17:57 PM »
Anyone catch the OVW documentary on Netflix?

Not yet, the Cassandro El Exotico movie starring Gael Garcia Bernal and Bad Bunny just dropped on Prime as well

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1848 on: September 28, 2023, 03:05:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Was watching a Terry Funk shoot with corny and he told the craziest fucking story I've ever heard. Now we all know how many headshots he took and some of his stories are a little...off...like the one about a child Billy Bob Thornton jacking off a dog. This one sounded so fucking insane I assumed it was the same...then I googled it.

Holy shit. The way Terry told it, when he got her outside he made it to the car and body slammed her on the hood before being arrested. He didn't mention the kid though.

It's so old that we can't really beg Busey for dark side on it but that has to be the absolute craziest story involving a wrestler I have ever heard. They talked about Dr. Jerry Graham not being a gimmick and being actually insane and it reminded me of something that I just know for some reason....Vince McMahon's favorite wrestler as a kid was Dr. Jerry Graham.
[close]

Cornette tells the story in this season of Dark Side! Or maybe in was Tales from the Territories? One of the two. I first heard it in this six part episode of Behind the Bastards about Vince McMahon. Fucking insane.

https://youtu.be/JLdaMY9n_Oc?si=q4jtzMZqWUCDj8vd

And yep, Saraya is dating a dude with an ongoing history of domestic abuse and other violent crimes including singing in a screamo-rap band:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/avnxkp/ronnie-radke-falling-in-reverse-worst-song-ever

Yeah I have literally never heard anyone except Saraya say anything positive about him. I know he's also a proud transphobe and was more or less responsible for someone getting shot, so he's really quite a well rounded piece of shit.

That Jerry Graham story was so nuts that I had to go and watch some of his matches and promos and stuff. He was pretty ahead of his time and I can definitely see why Vince fixated on him.. it almost seems like a gimmick but hes actually nuts. I need to listen to that podcast on Vince, it's been recommended to me many times and I've heard snippets but I've never listened to the whole thing.

https://youtu.be/ob5EFSOeVgI?feature=shared

I'm hooked on Stampede right now. Most of what's on YouTube is from the rebirth after Vince shut it down, but there is some original stuff and the stuff from the network as well. Ed Whalen is one of the best announcers I've ever heard...he's basically the Canadian Lance Russell, he didn't back down from the heels and gave it right back to them. Actually stampede as a whole really reminds me of Memphis - tons of dudes who went on to be stars got their start there that I didn't realize, like Big Daddy Ritter aka JYD. The late era stuff is full of Mike Shaw/Makhan Singh who went on to greater fame as Norman the Lunatic and Bastion Booger and he's unintentionally hilarious, as well as dudes who could really go like Owen, Benoit, Hiroshi Hase, and a pre-mask Liger. It's really good shit and I wish there was more of a library because I could see myself watching every episode in succession like I did with 80s Memphis.

Haven't had time to watch any AEW this week. I'll probably catch up over the weekend but nothing about dynamite last night was appointment viewing for me.

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1849 on: September 28, 2023, 06:05:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The one that everyone makes jokes out about was the one with Xavier where Maddox is filming them from 3 feet away like a total cuck creep, but there's like probably 20-30ish vids that got leaked where you can also see her engaging in such classy behavior as giving him a blow job while she's on the phone with someone and banging him in a public dressing room. I haven't seen them since it all went down (no pun intended) so there may be even more that I don't remember.

Interestingly, Her boyfriend now is somehow an even bigger piece of shit than Del Rio or Maddox. I'm expecting her to move on to a mass murderer next. Her family are genuine carnies and terrible people as well so it's not really a surprise that she turned out this way, but it is a little disappointing.

Don't forget the video where she let Brad "finish" on the NXT women's belt.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1850 on: September 28, 2023, 02:25:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Don't forget the video where she let Brad "finish" on the NXT women's belt.

Ahh yes how could I forget the intercumtinental title belt. The finishing sequence was hectic and they were clearly enthusiastic, but it was all so predictable and minus the belt it felt like I've seen that finish a thousand times.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #1851 on: September 28, 2023, 11:02:01 PM »
Re: Stampede, I prolly mentioned this but yeah they always had really good heels I maybe didn’t appreciate… Ron Starr, Duke Meyers, Kerry Brown, Bad News and prolly of them all people hated Gama Singh, people in Canada were and at times still pretty racist towards Indo Canadians…..Cobra was the sickest guy…some of the matches with Bad News and Gama were the best…..

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1852 on: September 29, 2023, 02:22:22 AM »
Decent dynamite but how do you have a 150 person roster and have both the bucks and lucha bros in singles matches? I get theyre setting up stuff for the PPV but it would be nice to see someone different every now and then, the matches are pretty stale for me at this point. The 4 man especially was like just them repeating spots they've done a dozen times on TV and spamming Canadian destroyers in between taking turns doing their signature spots. There's no story there for me to focus on and I have no choice but to face the indy-ness of matches like that which doesn't do a lot for a dude who watches at least a dozen hours of wrestling most weeks.

I did kinda enjoy them putting JJ up against Fenix for a title defense and making you wonder if they were going to do some kind of transitional champ thing. I kinda wanted to see Jarrett win it just to fulfill my prophecy of him carnying his way to a significant singles title within a year of signing with AEW.

Julia looked surprisingly good...I don't know if it was just because Willow is probably the best female worker in the company or what but but her facials/selling/little flourishes were far better than I've seen before. I wasn't a fan of her going over that clean on someone who should be a perennial title threat, especially with Brody right there, but I don't mind her winning. I think she works better as a chicken shit heel than as a 100 pound badass but she's ripe for a push either way. Does she usually do that moonsault? I don't remember seeing it before but man it was fuckin gorgeous.

Unhinged swerve is kind of a money promo. I fully expect that match to steal the show at the PPV. It's cool they're treating it like a big deal just based on the star power of the two involved but I wish there was a big time belt on the line.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1853 on: September 29, 2023, 02:27:00 AM »
Julia is definitely improving.   Considering she started with a goofy cheerleader gimmick with the Varsity Blonds, she’s definitely on an upward trajectory.   Anna Jay could probably use more of a house show schedule

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1854 on: September 29, 2023, 02:45:21 AM »
Re: Stampede, I prolly mentioned this but yeah they always had really good heels I maybe didn’t appreciate… Ron Starr, Duke Meyers, Kerry Brown, Bad News and prolly of them all people hated Gama Singh, people in Canada were and at times still pretty racist towards Indo Canadians…..Cobra was the sickest guy…some of the matches with Bad News and Gama were the best…..

Yeah that's a good point about the "diversity" of their heels. They weren't super sensitive in their treatment of Asians either....let's bring in some Japanese guys and call them the "viet-cong express" haha.

Bulldog Brown was pretty ahead of his time as a heel announcer as well, I just watched the stuff with him and Kerry winning the belts where Ed Whelan is apoplectic about them using a roll of coins to win. I think part of the reason it all works so well is Whelan is like a steady unwavering moral compass for all the great heels to feed off of.

One of the other things that I like about them is they basically had a "fall ref" with Jurgen Hermann. He was always portrayed as super inept and commentary would rip him apart for it constantly, so it kind of just got out in front of one of the common kayfabe criticisms..

Did you know Konaan wrestled there? Was pretty cool to see him very early in his career.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 02:52:07 AM by Sativa Lung »

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1855 on: September 29, 2023, 07:00:06 AM »
Julia is definitely improving.   Considering she started with a goofy cheerleader gimmick with the Varsity Blonds, she’s definitely on an upward trajectory.   Anna Jay could probably use more of a house show schedule

They apparently showed a Brian Pillman Jr vignette on NXT.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1856 on: September 29, 2023, 07:11:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah that's a good point about the "diversity" of their heels. They weren't super sensitive in their treatment of Asians either....let's bring in some Japanese guys and call them the "viet-cong express" haha.

Bulldog Brown was pretty ahead of his time as a heel announcer as well, I just watched the stuff with him and Kerry winning the belts where Ed Whelan is apoplectic about them using a roll of coins to win. I think part of the reason it all works so well is Whelan is like a steady unwavering moral compass for all the great heels to feed off of.

One of the other things that I like about them is they basically had a "fall ref" with Jurgen Hermann. He was always portrayed as super inept and commentary would rip him apart for it constantly, so it kind of just got out in front of one of the common kayfabe criticisms..

Did you know Konaan wrestled there? Was pretty cool to see him very early in his career.

No I didn't know about Konaan, once skating came into my life I quit watching wrestling....

Ed used to do the hockey games which was a pretty big deal, but it showed how great he was at what he did.

re: Asians...being Japanese, I feel ripped off that all the guys in masks were Japanese and never knew....I wonder why they couldn't actually find more indo Canadian wrestlers, but giving a Sikh name to a fat white guy totally worked. 

I was introduced to wrestling by my grandparents (my white side) and it was rad/scary because my grandma would totally lose her shit screaming.....she believed every bit of it. 

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1857 on: September 29, 2023, 11:58:05 PM »
That's amazing. Watching old wrestling it always stands out to me how the most vocal and aggressive fans in the crowd are often sweet little old grandmas.

Hey not ALL the masked guys were japanese...I just watched the angle where Gama sneaks into a match as the third viet cong express haha. It definitely speaks to the time and place that they had young Hiroshi Hase and that's what they did with him. I suppose the Japanese weren't much better, they tended to pigeonhole gaijin in a similar way when they went over there - if you were big, buff, and willing to lay down for Inoki then that's pretty much all it took to make a lot of money over there.

You might enjoy this - there's 4 other volumes on that channel too but this is my favorite one. Also a really great reminder that prior to Bret's pink and black attack he had some of the worst looking ring gear imaginable. Dude looks like he's about to start twirling a baton in front of the marching band.

https://youtu.be/Ylsl76zQFlQ?feature=shared

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1858 on: September 30, 2023, 08:15:11 AM »
that's awesome, thanks!  I'll watch it.  I wish CBC or one of the sports channels got the queue from Vice/darkside and did short docs on local wrestling, the stories are so sick.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1859 on: September 30, 2023, 03:40:09 PM »
that's awesome, thanks!  I'll watch it.  I wish CBC or one of the sports channels got the queue from Vice/darkside and did short docs on local wrestling, the stories are so sick.

I agree man, I know I've said it a dozen times in this thread but pro wrestling history is seriously some of the most interesting real life lore I've ever come across. I never really feel the need to delve into fiction when the actual stories and people from that world are so entertaining.

There's a few YouTube channels that do amateur "history of the territory" videos but they vary in quality. Original wrestling documentaries is one of the original ones (hehe) and has a lot of content, but some of the earlier ones kinda felt like he was just reading the Wikipedia article rather than actually knowing about the territory or doing real research. Still good info nonetheless.

I have a stampede playlist with those 5 best of videos plus about 50-60 full episodes and a few dozen individual matches that I put together and for the last few weeks when I'm getting ready for bed I'll pop that on. It's always a little disconcerting when I'm half asleep and they hand the mic to Stu and his weird lizard voice though. Dude sounds like he smokes gravel and drinks gasoline.