Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 45104 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #2010 on: January 17, 2024, 06:53:52 PM »
Let’s also add the fact that Sting & AEW somehow felt that it was good for wrestling that his last match (with AEW) is a tag team match w/Darby Allin against the Young Bucks….

I am certain this is because Sting cannot wrestle well anymore in a one on one as he really just does street fights which involve no technical wrestling, etc. Anyone see his recent botch this Wednesday? Powerhouse is lucky….

Mind you, grew up with Sting, loved surfer sting, dingo sting/warrior sting & most importantly, WCW Crow Sting. He had it for sure. But not now. Not at all.

Apparently it was Stings choice bc Young Bucks put on great PPV matches and he was never going to do a singles bout against Darby

PatrickSkateman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -223
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2011 on: January 17, 2024, 07:34:45 PM »
Wow that Young Bucks promo was terrible.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 16
« Reply #2012 on: January 18, 2024, 06:37:35 AM »
Toni Storm continues to pop me without wrestling. a few weeks ago she called Taz the "Landlord of the Year" and when Taz said what are you talking about she in all seriousness says "well you are the human DUPLEX machine!!!!" WOW, just wow. The Wendi Richter callouts are cool and she is really selling the character. I like it.

Does anyone think maybe Flair double crosses Sting one last time and starts managing the Bucks? That would get some insane heat on them and they might be able to take back their spot as the top tag heels. This might make people hate the Bucks for the right reasons instead of just to pick sides in a backstage fight. Their run as tag champs was great and I don't think people will ever want to see babyface bucks again. And if Flair is under contract, they gonna need something for him to do.

I understand HOOK has been booked pretty strong, but Samoa Joe should have squashed his ass. Why make Joe look like he had a tough time in his first defense? He should have murdered him. Having HOOK kick out at 1 after one of Joe's main moves? WTF?

If any PALS are coming to Tampa for Royal Rumble, hope you have a good time. I'll be out of town, but hit me up on instagram @bodychrons if you want some recommendations on shit to do in Tampa.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #2013 on: January 18, 2024, 10:22:18 AM »
Wow that Young Bucks promo was terrible.

Young Bucks ARE terrible.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2014 on: January 18, 2024, 10:24:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Let’s also add the fact that Sting & AEW somehow felt that it was good for wrestling that his last match (with AEW) is a tag team match w/Darby Allin against the Young Bucks….

I am certain this is because Sting cannot wrestle well anymore in a one on one as he really just does street fights which involve no technical wrestling, etc. Anyone see his recent botch this Wednesday? Powerhouse is lucky….

Mind you, grew up with Sting, loved surfer sting, dingo sting/warrior sting & most importantly, WCW Crow Sting. He had it for sure. But not now. Not at all.
[close]

Apparently it was Stings choice bc Young Bucks put on great PPV matches and he was never going to do a singles bout against Darby

Stings only choice. Now a tag team title commercial?!?
So win from Starks & Big Bill then drop to the Bucks? Come on…….

Dynamite was good last night. Too bad now that means a month or so of garbage. That’s the pattern.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 06:07:50 PM by Mr. Kamikazi »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2015 on: January 18, 2024, 08:57:56 PM »
I think hook was booked well.   I think it’s his first loss and he was clearly inferior, but was able to showcase the toughness that is what got him unironically over. 

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2016 on: January 18, 2024, 09:39:37 PM »
Okada done with NJPW. He’d be the biggest Rumble surprise since AJ Styles. HHH would book him right too.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2017 on: January 18, 2024, 10:20:58 PM »
Okada done with NJPW. He’d be the biggest Rumble surprise since AJ Styles. HHH would book him right too.

Japanese wrestlers seem want the AEW schedule not the Fed schedule.   

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2018 on: January 19, 2024, 06:14:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Okada wants to be a star and Nakamura has publicly acknowledged enjoying being in the fed.

I honestly do think Tony is getting him, but you never know.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2019 on: January 19, 2024, 07:38:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Okada wants to be a star and Nakamura has publicly acknowledged enjoying being in the fed.

Okada is already a star.  An AEW audience would know that from the get go (and showed it).   Not sure how a fed audience would react especially without a gimmick to latch on to like Shinsuke’s theme song and general weirdness which is probably what set him apart from al the other Japanese wrestlers that never made it big there.   It’s not a booking thing so much as a fan thing

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2020 on: January 19, 2024, 09:46:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Okada is already a star.  An AEW audience would know that from the get go (and showed it).   Not sure how a fed audience would react especially without a gimmick to latch on to like Shinsuke’s theme song and general weirdness which is probably what set him apart from al the other Japanese wrestlers that never made it big there.   It’s not a booking thing so much as a fan thing

There’s an entirely different level to achieving stardom in the fed.

When the fed develops your star, it has long lasting implications for opportunities for future success. Look at Austin, Cena, The Rock (most overrated WWE superstar of the 4), Batista. Only one of them has previous wrestling experience with a competing organization and wasn’t brought up through the farm system.

Austin was a perpetual tv title mid-carder and tag team wrestler. WWE let him shine and helped him hone his craft to a film career. That’s what Okada wants.

Nakamura is shining beyond what he’s done in NJPW. He’s also mentioned being quite happy with life in the states working for WWE.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2021 on: January 19, 2024, 02:13:44 PM »
WWE is the only stardom. If he did that & say one day went to AEW (if it’s still around), he’d elevate them, not the other way around. Okada in WWE would be amazing. Him & Gunther? Okada & Dragunov? Okada & Finn! Okada up against Solo? Come on…..

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2022 on: January 19, 2024, 02:14:33 PM »

Fans are hoping for MJF too…
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 09:49:17 AM by Mr. Kamikazi »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2023 on: January 19, 2024, 04:34:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

There’s an entirely different level to achieving stardom in the fed.

When the fed develops your star, it has long lasting implications for opportunities for future success. Look at Austin, Cena, The Rock (most overrated WWE superstar of the 4), Batista. Only one of them has previous wrestling experience with a competing organization and wasn’t brought up through the farm system.

Austin was a perpetual tv title mid-carder and tag team wrestler. WWE let him shine and helped him hone his craft to a film career. That’s what Okada wants.

Nakamura is shining beyond what he’s done in NJPW. He’s also mentioned being quite happy with life in the states working for WWE.

Batista’s film success is almost entirely independent of WWE  and Stone Cold never had much of a film career

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2024 on: January 20, 2024, 09:53:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think all AEW stars want the schedule that AEW offers which has to hurt them as the heavy hitters are off tv for weeks at a time, no house shows, & appear to call the shots & write their own story lines. For Okada, this would not elevate him. There are work horses in AEW & it’s hardly the top guys. 28-1 in a whole year is laughable. Thats all he wrestled. Come on…….and what? Against jobbers in matches for under 5 minutes?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2025 on: January 20, 2024, 02:34:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think all AEW stars want the schedule that AEW offers which has to hurt them as the heavy hitters are off tv for weeks at a time, no house shows, & appear to call the shots & write their own story lines. For Okada, this would not elevate him. There are work horses in AEW & it’s hardly the top guys. 28-1 in a whole year is laughable. Thats all he wrestled. Come on…….and what? Against jobbers in matches for under 5 minutes?

The top guy(s) in the Fed have been part timers for about a decade.   

You assume that everyone who is a pro wrestler wants to be The Rock.   I think the reason all free agents except Dragon Lee have picked AEW is the freedom to wrestle anywhere and still have a life (spend time in Japan) without being ground down by a touring schedule that you have to pay for yourself.   NJPW is might compete with WWF grueling schedule-wise

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2026 on: January 21, 2024, 06:19:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

You assume that everyone who is a pro wrestler wants to be The Rock.   I think the reason all free agents except Dragon Lee have picked AEW is the freedom to wrestle anywhere and still have a life (spend time in Japan) without being ground down by a touring schedule that you have to pay for yourself.   NJPW is might compete with WWF grueling schedule-wise

Seth Rollins was doing house shows until he legit got hurt. Same with Rhea, Cody, Ludwig, Drew. Those are the top guys & that’s not part time. Roman is & he’s an exception. Again, it’s why the company is miles above AEW. No one is 28-1….

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2027 on: January 21, 2024, 07:45:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Seth Rollins was doing house shows until he legit got hurt. Same with Rhea, Cody, Ludwig, Drew. Those are the top guys & that’s not part time. Roman is & he’s an exception. Again, it’s why the company is miles above AEW. No one is 28-1….

Brock was before that for years and years and years.   They have to invent new belts bc they strap up part timers and then gut their consistent performers like Kofi when a part timer decides they want to return (see also Goldberg)

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2028 on: January 21, 2024, 01:22:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Brock was before that for years and years and years.   They have to invent new belts bc they strap up part timers and then gut their consistent performers like Kofi when a part timer decides they want to return (see also Goldberg)

Brock didn’t start part time & enter a new promotion on a part time basis. You also can’t compare 99% of AEW’s roster to Lesnar. For a promotion that is in its early childhood stage, everyone needs to be going to bat.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2029 on: January 21, 2024, 03:00:47 PM »
Let’s also add none of the AEW guys/gals want to lose. So basically instead of quality matches, it’s these jobber matches sometimes under the guise of a forbidden dooresque or former ROH prodigy against say Copeland or Miro or Wardlow. It’s not Wardlow entering a longstanding feud or Miro beating Copeland or a series. It’s Penta who’s beyond great getting squashed or Claudio quickly beating someone. AEW to me just cuts corners. Let me end by again saying I WANT THEM TO SUCCEED. But as a devout fan who knows what I’m seeing & saying, I can’t turn an eye or squint at this to say “it’s good wrestling”! Didn’t someone in here mention Jay White? Yeah cool! He got a consolation prize. Well done. I wouldn’t blame him if he left.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2030 on: January 21, 2024, 04:50:22 PM »
https://www.ringsidenews.com/2024/01/19/dark-side-of-the-ring-season-5-topics-unveiled/

Ahhhh! @busey lad, this is insane! A Kurt one alone is almost the best it gets. Kurt is my favorite of all time. Period. And boy oh boy, a Brutus one, yes!

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1286
  • i can't it's a geo!
« Reply #2031 on: January 22, 2024, 11:39:19 AM »
oh man that'll be great

i only worked on one episode before leaving the show for another gig but that line up is solid. there's obviously lots they left off the list that i think will be even better than the one's mentioned. season should be awesome
I rolled my ankle jacking off on a ladder.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2032 on: January 23, 2024, 09:29:07 AM »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2033 on: January 23, 2024, 10:31:51 AM »
How did Raw going to Netflix starting next year not catch anyone’s eye

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2034 on: January 23, 2024, 10:33:54 AM »
Figured I’d post rumors on a board about rumors.

https://wrestletalk.com/news/major-free-agent-choose-wwe-over-aew-kazuchika-okada/

There’s an update there.   I mean, the Fed making Okada start in NXT is almost too stupid to not be true

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2035 on: January 23, 2024, 06:01:18 PM »
Expand Quote

https://wrestletalk.com/news/major-free-agent-choose-wwe-over-aew-kazuchika-okada/
[close]

There’s an update there.   I mean, the Fed making Okada start in NXT is almost too stupid to not be true

Makes sense you love AEW!

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2036 on: January 23, 2024, 07:42:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

NXT getting higher ratings/views than AEW on a regular basis? Sounds good for Okada!

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -3
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #2037 on: January 23, 2024, 08:37:18 PM »
There’s no way Okada starts in NXT. If this was Black and Gold NXT then without a doubt but NXT 2.0? There’s no way. Okada is going straight to main roster, then winning the rumble next year and then the WWE title next year. They want the next WM to be the biggest of all time with Dwayne/Roman, and having internationally recognized Okada main event night one is par for the course.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2038 on: January 23, 2024, 09:27:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

NXT getting higher ratings/views than AEW on a regular basis? Sounds good for Okada!

Why does it sound good for him?   He doesn’t get paid off of ratings?   

He’s wrestled some of the best/biggest matches of all time, but get has to move to Florida and slum it up with a bunch of wrestlers who only know how to wrestle to make shareable videos on Twitter?

Even if he goes to the main roster, do you honestly think this will be the first time the audience cares about a Japanese wrestler?   Nakumura has a weirdo gimmick, Okada will just look like Japanese Cody Rhodes and god help him if they “Hideo Itami” him.   

Btw, I don’t love AEW, I just hate most things about the Fed and its presentation.   AEW is far from perfect, but I never found it physically painful as I do a company where Logan Paul had a fucking title amongst many other things

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2039 on: January 24, 2024, 07:32:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Why does it sound good for him?   He doesn’t get paid off of ratings?   

He’s wrestled some of the best/biggest matches of all time, but get has to move to Florida and slum it up with a bunch of wrestlers who only know how to wrestle to make shareable videos on Twitter?

Even if he goes to the main roster, do you honestly think this will be the first time the audience cares about a Japanese wrestler?   Nakumura has a weirdo gimmick, Okada will just look like Japanese Cody Rhodes and god help him if they “Hideo Itami” him.   

Btw, I don’t love AEW, I just hate most things about the Fed and its presentation.   AEW is far from perfect, but I never found it physically painful as I do a company where Logan Paul had a fucking title amongst many other things

He can be a part of NXT & as it works toward being a third staple for WWE. Furthermore, if he was just thrown into RAW or Smackdown, it’d put him in a situation where he could just get lost to some degree. I’d also argue that just because he’s been all over doesn’t mean he will immediately appeal to WWE fans. Walter/Gunther, Ilja, Dragon Lee, Finn, etc all were huge in other promotions all over & they started in NXT & benefitted immensely. If he did, it’d probably be short but I don’t think it’s bad. Why waste him on wrestling Wednesdays against Trent or John Silver? Booking over in AEW won’t give us a classic. In their warped world they’ll give us Okada vs Kingston which would be awful.

I too despise Logan Paul but from a business perspective, it makes sense. But this is what happens with a big & successful business. However, he can wrestle very well & I’d rather see him put on a ripper than see Sting get hurt on a botch & promos saying “fuck”.

There have been some WWE botches lately so save the sermon.