Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 126674 times)

Shibby and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

logjammin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 314
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #210 on: December 17, 2021, 12:49:11 PM »
Does anyone know why the 147's sit lower than the 148+ sizes? I'm just curious if the baseplate is a diff geometry, if I wanted to use the spare plates from a set of those and pair it with hangers of the wider sizes.

Dan Gerous

« Reply #211 on: December 17, 2021, 12:58:40 PM »
Does anyone know why the 147's sit lower than the 148+ sizes? I'm just curious if the baseplate is a diff geometry, if I wanted to use the spare plates from a set of those and pair it with hangers of the wider sizes.

The baseplates are the same on all sizes, the height difference between various widths is all in the hangers so you can use the baseplates from another size without problems, the only resulting height change would be if you swap a forged baseplate with a cast baseplate or vice versa, cast ones are 1mm taller than forged.

The reason height changes across various widths is to keep more consistant proportions.

logjammin

• Rep: 314
« Reply #212 on: December 17, 2021, 01:00:27 PM »
Got it, thanks for the quick reply!

onkalo

• Rep: 28
« Reply #213 on: December 21, 2021, 03:58:53 PM »
Been thinking of getting 55mm wheels, i’m riding 148 lights so forged baseplate makes them pretty low. I run my trucks medium loose. Have you guys done 55mm wheels with forged plates and no risers, and what was the wheelbite factor like? Thank you :)

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #214 on: December 21, 2021, 04:44:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Been thinking of getting 55mm wheels, i’m riding 148 lights so forged baseplate makes them pretty low. I run my trucks medium loose. Have you guys done 55mm wheels with forged plates and no risers, and what was the wheelbite factor like? Thank you :)
[close]

Yes, I tried 54mm classics on Thunder Ti's and it was wheel bite city. Kept getting pitched. I ride my trucks medium loose as well. They were fine with the addition of tiny little risers.
grab the real wooden risers for thunders and it should help.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 567
« Reply #215 on: December 21, 2021, 07:59:24 PM »

I'm on 149ti and need 1/8 risers to run 56 conical fulls. I have mine medium loose, enough to turn well and do my slappies. I haven't noticed any horrible wheelbite yet

Dan Gerous

« Reply #216 on: December 21, 2021, 08:54:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm on 149ti and need 1/8 risers to run 56 conical fulls. I have mine medium loose, enough to turn well and do my slappies. I haven't noticed any horrible wheelbite yet

It's not just the wheel size, the wheel shape also has an impact on how big you can go before wheelbiting. Rounder wheels with smaller contact patches like the Spitfire Classics allow trucks to lean further before contact compared to a wider and squarer wheels of the same size as the wheel edge that touches the board is rounded away on Classics, so you can often get away with 2mm bigger wheels than most other Spitfire shapes with Classics, maybe even more than that compared with Conical Fulls.

But even with Classics, 55mm might be quite wheelbitey on my definition of medium loose Thunders with forged baseplates... I've done 54mm Classics but had the trucks a bit tighter than medium.

onkalo

• Rep: 28
« Reply #217 on: December 22, 2021, 05:24:11 PM »
Thank you all for help. I’m not gonna get or make risers (at least yet) i just don’t like the feel of them. Going to get 54mm classics or similar wheels then, had thunders with forged plates with new 53mm wheels and i wasn’t getting too much wheelbite so figured that the extra 0,5mm isn’t gonna be too bad. If it is too wheelbitey i can make some from 1,25mm thick sheet metal  :D

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #218 on: December 23, 2021, 06:57:57 AM »
From ishods insta story. Seems like he's still on the inverse kingpin and possibly a longer baseplate?

Dan Gerous

« Reply #219 on: December 23, 2021, 08:00:55 AM »
From ishods insta story. Seems like he's still on the inverse kingpin and possibly a longer baseplate?

He's been on and off on the IKP for a while now... but these are just current regular cast baseplates, they're not looking any longer than those I have at least.

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #220 on: December 23, 2021, 06:03:29 PM »
https://youtu.be/ERQSNqd7gtg
I kind of experimented with my bushings the way he mentions on the Nine Club, albeit while I was adjusting my kingpin.  I want to get more top bushings so I could do it for real.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #221 on: December 23, 2021, 07:19:03 PM »
I kind of experimented with my bushings the way he mentions on the Nine Club, albeit while I was adjusting my kingpin.  I want to get more top bushings so I could do it for real.

Thanks for posting this. I really liked Ishod's gear talk

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #222 on: December 24, 2021, 07:44:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No doubt.  I want someone on here to like try this and report back.  It's one thing when Ishod talks about it, but I need to hear about it from like a mortal haha.

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 31
« Reply #223 on: December 24, 2021, 08:12:31 AM »
Thank you all for help. I’m not gonna get or make risers (at least yet) i just don’t like the feel of them. Going to get 54mm classics or similar wheels then, had thunders with forged plates with new 53mm wheels and i wasn’t getting too much wheelbite so figured that the extra 0,5mm isn’t gonna be too bad. If it is too wheelbitey i can make some from 1,25mm thick sheet metal  :D

I can ride 54mm (SML OG wide AG Formula I think) on thunder forged without problems. The nut is 1/2-1 turn looser than flush and stock bushings. I tried it last year when I had a new set and 54mm wheels are even manageable for me on 147s. My decks being mostly slicks now might help.
But I rode 55 or 56 mm Bones V5 (or a similar looking wheel from ~7-8 years ago) on 147 thunders a few years back on 7.8 and 8 inch boards. That was hell. I lost nollie frontside flips because of that because I got pitched every time I did not land that trick picture perfect. Basically every trick with a landing after a frontside rotation was problematic. Was broke and could not afford new wheels/trucks and risers were no option for me so I had to stick it out. Can't tell you if I got used to it or the wheels simply wore down enough but I remember cranking the trucks all the way down.

Don't get me wrong I get some wheelbite but it does not hinder me and is usually well deserved.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #224 on: December 27, 2021, 09:02:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
No doubt.  I want someone on here to like try this and report back.  It's one thing when Ishod talks about it, but I need to hear about it from like a mortal haha.

I tried it. I had the risers like he did too. It definitely shortens up the wheelbase and for me it made wheelbite worse. It makes the turn a bit tighter since the wheels are pulled in.

opesorry

• Rep: 21
« Reply #225 on: January 03, 2022, 07:56:57 PM »
Expand Quote
I’ve been skating Thunders since last fall and thought I liked them pretty well, until I stepped on my cruiser for the first time in months that has Indy’s on it and realized I really do not like the way they turn compared to Indys. Realized the bushings were getting fucked and replaced them with bones mediums but didn’t help as much as I wanted, so now I’m about to try Indy 88 Soft bushings and see if that does it.

Trucks are totally fine though so I’m going to keep trying to fine tune them until I like them, but tempted to bail on them early.
[close]

thunders turn better than Indys when u put 1/8 risers on them (and they become the same height too)

I liked the 88 Indy’s, but I did up getting some of the Real 3 ply risers and thought it helped. Also put a Bones flat top washer to get them a little looser, i liked it quite a bit because I felt like I could turn just enough but it also felt really stable.

Then it got cold. Bushings froze up pretty quickly and couldn’t turn whatsoever, so it was back to the drawing board to figure out a cold weather set up.

I think I figured it out - kept the risers but ended up with a Bones soft top and Bones medium bottom, a little tighter than flush. I’m a small dude and pretty light, so the softer turnier bushings seemed like a good idea. I skated this set up for a couple hours when the temp was in the 40’s or high 30’s and it worked great the whole time.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #226 on: January 22, 2022, 06:05:59 AM »
Looks like Gerwer is running the IKP in TNT’s Instagram story:

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #227 on: January 22, 2022, 02:39:07 PM »
Looks like Gerwer is running the IKP in TNT’s Instagram story:

looks like their hollow kingpins with a big old flat head slot, almost look DIY'd, maybe with a grinder? idk

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #228 on: January 30, 2022, 08:09:17 PM »
Maybe it’s been talked about before, but what the fuck is up with Thunder stock bushings? Ever since they switched to the blue ones from the older yellow ones a few years ago I can’t get my trucks loose enough with stock bushings. The catalog says they’re 90a, but they feel significantly harder than the 90a rebuild kit bushings
fuck you bama

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #229 on: January 31, 2022, 06:24:10 AM »
Maybe it’s been talked about before, but what the fuck is up with Thunder stock bushings? Ever since they switched to the blue ones from the older yellow ones a few years ago I can’t get my trucks loose enough with stock bushings. The catalog says they’re 90a, but they feel significantly harder than the 90a rebuild kit bushings

I’ve noticed that too. Now Thunder did just release a raw with white bushings and silver hardware in 148 and 149. I have ridden the white Thunder stocks and they feel much looser than the blue.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #230 on: January 31, 2022, 06:29:13 AM »
I've been riding Thunders for like 10 years and it was only about a year or two ago I noticed problems with the bushings. I just do Bones Mediums now.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #231 on: January 31, 2022, 07:42:44 AM »
I have a collection of broken in old white Thunder bushings but honestly I don't mind the new blue ones too much especially in 151s with risers. Incidentally, I have not ridden my Thunders in months and put them back on a new set up this weekend and the curb grind is so much better than Ace classics.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #232 on: January 31, 2022, 07:57:22 AM »
I have a collection of broken in old white Thunder bushings but honestly I don't mind the new blue ones too much especially in 151s with risers. Incidentally, I have not ridden my Thunders in months and put them back on a new set up this weekend and the curb grind is so much better than Ace classics.

I tried some Ace Classics this past fall just for a change of pace and I fucking hated them. They grinded noticeably worse and were kind of just a chore to skate. To each their own on trucks, but I don't get 'em.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #233 on: January 31, 2022, 08:10:56 AM »
I love Ace but I am always pleasantly surprised when I put some Thunders on the occasional set up, especially one with a small wheelbase. Just a solid, light, dependable truck. Sure the turn isn't as deep but it is very predictable quick turn. Hard to beat a no frills standard team Thunder.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #234 on: January 31, 2022, 11:06:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I tried some Ace Classics this past fall just for a change of pace and I fucking hated them. They grinded noticeably worse and were kind of just a chore to skate. To each their own on trucks, but I don't get 'em.

We can finally agree on something.

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #235 on: January 31, 2022, 11:34:55 AM »
The new team hollows seem awesome, same as a hollow light but has a Cast base plate so they are slightly taller, picking some up soon cause the only issue I had with hollow lights were that they were lower than other trucks.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 12:25:55 PM by Space Cowboy »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #236 on: January 31, 2022, 11:43:27 AM »
The new team hollows seem awesome, same as a hollow light but has a forged base plate so they are slightly taller, picking some up soon cause the only issue I had with hollow lights were that they were lower than other trucks.

Pretty sure the team plates are still cast (newer models with the hex bottom) just with a nice powder coat on non-raw colorways..

LebowskisRug

« Reply #237 on: January 31, 2022, 12:09:13 PM »
Ya Team Hollows are 100% always cast and always 1mm taller than standard cast. Forged plates are always 1mm lower than standard cast plates, so 2mm lower than Team plates.

Space Cowboy

« Reply #238 on: January 31, 2022, 12:27:49 PM »
Expand Quote
The new team hollows seem awesome, same as a hollow light but has a forged base plate so they are slightly taller, picking some up soon cause the only issue I had with hollow lights were that they were lower than other trucks.
[close]
Pretty sure the team plates are still cast (newer models with the hex bottom) just with a nice powder coat on non-raw colorways..

Shit i meant to type the team baseplates were Cast, forged are the thinner ones that are on the hollow lights, My bad

Space Cowboy

« Reply #239 on: January 31, 2022, 12:32:50 PM »
Also the boltholes seem to stretch out on forged base plates over time for me, I think this is because the forged base plate is stronger and thinner so it stretches, the cast would probably just crack but i haven't had any issues with cast base plates yet, Ive always preferred cast.

The team hollows just seem to be the ideal thunder truck for my preferences.