Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 146716 times)

Skatebrain and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #570 on: June 15, 2022, 09:54:30 PM »
I'm actually kind of digging the pink hangers and the 80s graphics on these. Thinking about the 151s for a cruiser setup.

Tho i am a Thunder fan, I'm wondering if I should go for a more 'cruiser' truck, like an ace or something.

Those are pretty sick.

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 874
« Reply #571 on: June 16, 2022, 01:11:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Thinking about picking up some of the $10 team 145s on Zumiez to replace the forged plates i have on my 148s.  Does anyone know if the hangers would fit or is the geo different between that big of a gap?
[close]

This is a great question. I tried the cast plates on my 149s, on my hollow forged 148s, and it looked wrong. Fairly certain the geo on 145 is the same as 147, and then 148 is different, and I even think 149 might be slightly different, but please don’t take my word for it cuz I’m fried.
I think older 145 and 147 also had low versions but weren't always marked as low or high. I think thunder discontinued the lows so $10 trucks might be those. Someone with more thunder knowledge probably could tell the difference without having to compare the heights.

IpathCats

« Reply #572 on: June 16, 2022, 06:12:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thinking about picking up some of the $10 team 145s on Zumiez to replace the forged plates i have on my 148s.  Does anyone know if the hangers would fit or is the geo different between that big of a gap?
[close]

This is a great question. I tried the cast plates on my 149s, on my hollow forged 148s, and it looked wrong. Fairly certain the geo on 145 is the same as 147, and then 148 is different, and I even think 149 might be slightly different, but please don’t take my word for it cuz I’m fried.
[close]
I think older 145 and 147 also had low versions but weren't always marked as low or high. I think thunder discontinued the lows so $10 trucks might be those. Someone with more thunder knowledge probably could tell the difference without having to compare the heights.

I believe the height/geo of the 148 and up is different than the 147 and down. @Xen can probably confirm

IpathCats

« Reply #573 on: June 16, 2022, 06:15:23 AM »
I'm actually kind of digging the pink hangers and the 80s graphics on these. Thinking about the 151s for a cruiser setup.

Tho i am a Thunder fan, I'm wondering if I should go for a more 'cruiser' truck, like an ace or something.

Really depends on your wheel, bushing, and riser situation. Thunders can be super surfy if you run them loose. use soft bushings/flat washers, and shave your top bushing down if you want more surf. the issue youre gonna run into is wheelbite, compared to other trucks. risers, and smaller more narrow wheels with round edges can help combat this.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #574 on: June 16, 2022, 06:38:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I believe the height/geo of the 148 and up is different than the 147 and down. @Xen can probably confirm
Yeah that would makes sense. Thanks for the feedback

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #575 on: June 16, 2022, 07:44:46 AM »
Expand Quote

Did you get thunder replacement bushings with a conical bottom?
[close]
Conical bottom. Here is a link to the exact same ones.
https://www.longboarderlabs.com/product/thunder-trucks-bushing-rebuild-kit-upgrade-95-duro-med-blue/

I've got to say, these changed my opinion on Thunders immediately.  I'm digging the turn on them now.

IpathCats

« Reply #576 on: June 16, 2022, 08:25:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
https://www.longboarderlabs.com/product/thunder-trucks-bushing-rebuild-kit-upgrade-95-duro-med-blue/
[close]

I've got to say, these changed my opinion on Thunders immediately.  I'm digging the turn on them now.

Coming from indy/ace, and trying out ventures, i can confidently say that the thunder turn is pretty fucking sweet if you tune them for your weight just right. Riptides on thunders make much more of a difference to me, than on indy/ace too. Total gamechanger for thunders.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #577 on: June 16, 2022, 09:35:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I've never noticed anything off when swapping plates/hangers but 147 and below the heights are 1mm lower than 148+ regardless of plate, so it must be the hanger and possibly geo? Maybe all those 147 riders know something we don't ;)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #578 on: June 16, 2022, 10:17:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

Coming from indy/ace, and trying out ventures, i can confidently say that the thunder turn is pretty fucking sweet if you tune them for your weight just right. Riptides on thunders make much more of a difference to me, than on indy/ace too. Total gamechanger for thunders.

The one thing about thunder I think people have to accept is you may have to run them tighter.  I don’t see too many people on jiggly thunders.  The top end of the turn is still pretty fun though, and you get enough to carve or a swerve out of something.  They are nice and low too which is what a lot of people want. 

I liked the riptides alot too, they felt more smooth and maybe a bit more range?

IpathCats

« Reply #579 on: June 16, 2022, 10:28:20 AM »

I liked the riptides alot too, they felt more smooth and maybe a bit more range?

Made the turn more consistent and less twitchy for me and maybe a little deeper, at least thats how i perceived it.

Dan Gerous

« Reply #580 on: June 16, 2022, 02:31:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I've never noticed anything off when swapping plates/hangers but 147 and below the heights are 1mm lower than 148+ regardless of plate, so it must be the hanger and possibly geo? Maybe all those 147 riders know something we don't ;)

Simple: the small ones up to the 147 have 2mm lower hangers than the 148-149-151 hangers, and then the 161 and new 181 hangers are another 1mm taller. Those differences are all in the hangers and apart from the height, the rest of the geometry is the same on all sizes (angles and wheelbase)

The baseplates are not size specific, they're the same no matter the size of the trucks but forged baseplates are 1mm lower than cast ones (and extend the wheelbase by a hair) and everything can be mixed and matched across all sizes and truck styles.

Exemple, if you take a hanger off a 147 hollow light and install it on the baseplate from a basic 151, it will be the same height as a stock basic or team hollow 147...

Here's a quick reference guide:

-----------------------------------------------

143-145-147 (7.125" - 7.62" - 8")
Height with a cast baseplate: 50mm
Height with a forged baseplate: 49mm

148-149-151 (8.25" - 8.5" - 8.75")
Height with a cast baseplate: 52mm
Height with a forged baseplate: 51mm

161-181 (9.125" - 10")
Height with a cast baseplate: 53mm
Height with a forged baseplate: 52mm

-----------------------------------------------

It's all here: https://www.thundertrucks.com/sizing/
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 02:44:19 PM by Dan Gerous »

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #581 on: June 17, 2022, 03:13:54 AM »

I put riptides in my last pair of Indys and have been thinking about doing the same for my Thunders.  Thanks man, my decision has been made!

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1183
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #582 on: June 17, 2022, 05:32:27 PM »
Swapped out my indy's for thunders, immediately started skating better. No ghost pop, felt more consistent. Probably my fault for having multiple set ups with different trucks, but this really helped clarify it for me. Any boards I set up for street/ledge/flip tricks, going with thunder from now on. If I have a slappy or transition board, then I'll run indy.

Now I just need to figure out how to get my thunders a *little* looser, my kingpin nut is basically only on a couple of threads with the 90du bushings which are the softest for thunder afaik. May need to sand them a bit, or start looking at the riptides or even nfg bushings. I don't understand people who think the thunder turn is "better" than indy.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #583 on: June 17, 2022, 05:39:49 PM »
Swapped out my indy's for thunders, immediately started skating better. No ghost pop, felt more consistent. Probably my fault for having multiple set ups with different trucks, but this really helped clarify it for me. Any boards I set up for street/ledge/flip tricks, going with thunder from now on. If I have a slappy or transition board, then I'll run indy.

Now I just need to figure out how to get my thunders a *little* looser, my kingpin nut is basically only on a couple of threads with the 90du bushings which are the softest for thunder afaik. May need to sand them a bit, or start looking at the riptides or even nfg bushings. I don't understand people who think the thunder turn is "better" than indy.

I had a similar experience. I was weird about trucks marking my wheel base longer and put thunders on a whim immediately flips tricks was more consistent and felt better. Then I took and Indy conical 92a bushing and I still can wheel bite but it’s rare.

Maybe try a conical bottom bushing. I feel I can turn sharp with out wheel biting on it. When I had the stock bottom in I had to tighten a little or I’d bite but with the 92a conical it seems fine.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #584 on: June 17, 2022, 06:03:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I had a similar experience. I was weird about trucks marking my wheel base longer and put thunders on a whim immediately flips tricks was more consistent and felt better. Then I took and Indy conical 92a bushing and I still can wheel bite but it’s rare.

Maybe try a conical bottom bushing. I feel I can turn sharp with out wheel biting on it. When I had the stock bottom in I had to tighten a little or I’d bite but with the 92a conical it seems fine.

t's so funny because we're talking a couple millimeter difference, but that extra couple mm t takes for my tail to hit the ground on indys absolutely makes a difference. That pop point just feels way more natural/comfortable for me.

That's not a bad idea, I have some indy conicals that maybe i'll swap the bottom. Flat washers are a potential option as well? To be honest I don't want to make too many changes too quick, so I'll just run them as loose as possible for a while, break in the bushings and see if they settle into a nice spot.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1127
« Reply #585 on: June 17, 2022, 06:33:21 PM »
Ishod runs his squiggly loose according to his neinclub. I think he does two tops. I think I remember Gerwer doing the same according to some skate media, cannot remember the source.
But. Thunders will never feel like Indys imo, the turn is just to quick, and maybe shallow is the word I’m looking for. I skate better on thunders, so I’m skating thunders.
Whatchu trying to turn a lot for?

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #586 on: June 17, 2022, 06:56:34 PM »
Ishod runs his squiggly loose according to his neinclub. I think he does two tops. I think I remember Gerwer doing the same according to some skate media, cannot remember the source.
But. Thunders will never feel like Indys imo, the turn is just to quick, and maybe shallow is the word I’m looking for. I skate better on thunders, so I’m skating thunders.

I just want a bit of swerve. Two tops isn’t a bad idea. I’m not great at skating so having looser trucks helps me cheat out some of my landings.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #587 on: June 17, 2022, 07:28:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I just want a bit of swerve. Two tops isn’t a bad idea. I’m not great at skating so having looser trucks helps me cheat out some of my landings.

I spend more time on here, than I do skating, and the results are very apparent.
Respectfully, my experience has been looser trucks go straight to wheelbite with thunders. I’m also finally understanding that I skate a little bit better with tighter trucks. Just throwing that out there. I see more too loose than too tight.
Now that I’m done being a patronizing jerkwad, some rippers have gotten bones to work in thunders. Short term fix, but could help? Some of the local killers were using riser pads (I think the god Bobby D does this as well). I usually skate smaller wheels with thunders, and have them more inset in relation to deck width (awkwardly put: I go for more deck than axle width, which I’m convinced lends to more turn and less wheelbite). I wax my deck wheel wells sometimes (not very often, but when I think of it I do).
Anyways, thunders are fun as hell, I mean all trucks are fun, skating is fun, but my experience has been that thunders are the most effective for landing tricks, for me, which what I’m currently trying to do.
I bought some super loose clear replacement bushing and just caught savage wheelbites to flying elbows and was over it, I bought the super hard replacement kit, and chickened out.
Lemme know if you get more turn!
Oh hit up @Xen. Has done the work when it comes to bushings. I don’t fuck with that black magic.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #588 on: June 17, 2022, 08:38:09 PM »
86a Venom Bottoms and flat washers.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #589 on: June 17, 2022, 09:13:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I spend more time on here, than I do skating, and the results are very apparent.
Respectfully, my experience has been looser trucks go straight to wheelbite with thunders. I’m also finally understanding that I skate a little bit better with tighter trucks. Just throwing that out there. I see more too loose than too tight.
Now that I’m done being a patronizing jerkwad, some rippers have gotten bones to work in thunders. Short term fix, but could help? Some of the local killers were using riser pads (I think the god Bobby D does this as well). I usually skate smaller wheels with thunders, and have them more inset in relation to deck width (awkwardly put: I go for more deck than axle width, which I’m convinced lends to more turn and less wheelbite). I wax my deck wheel wells sometimes (not very often, but when I think of it I do).
Anyways, thunders are fun as hell, I mean all trucks are fun, skating is fun, but my experience has been that thunders are the most effective for landing tricks, for me, which what I’m currently trying to do.
I bought some super loose clear replacement bushing and just caught savage wheelbites to flying elbows and was over it, I bought the super hard replacement kit, and chickened out.
Oh hit up @Xen. Has done the work when it comes to bushings. I don’t fuck with that black magic.

Not being a jerkwad at all, I appreciate the feedback and the light ribbing. I think it's true a lot of people switch their gear up wanting it to do something it just wasn't designed for. To be clear, I don't want/need my thunders to be wobbly loose, and I know that no matter how loose I get them they won't give the same feeling as ace or indy, which I don't want either.

My experience with stock thunder bushings has been once they're broken in they're firmer than I like and I have to run the kingpin nut basically as loose as possible without falling off. I just want to make a couple of adjustments and see if I can get them set up with a little more give and the kingpin nut closer to flush. @Xen the 86a venom bottom may be the place to start.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #590 on: June 17, 2022, 09:24:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Not being a jerkwad at all, I appreciate the feedback and the light ribbing. I think it's true a lot of people switch their gear up wanting it to do something it just wasn't designed for. To be clear, I don't want/need my thunders to be wobbly loose, and I know that no matter how loose I get them they won't give the same feeling as ace or indy, which I don't want either.

My experience with stock thunder bushings has been once they're broken in they're firmer than I like and I have to run the kingpin nut basically as loose as possible without falling off. I just want to make a couple of adjustments and see if I can get them set up with a little more give and the kingpin nut closer to flush. @Xen the 86a venom bottom may be the place to start.

Stock thunders, nut flush are too tight for me. I can skate them but need a little more give.

Maybe try a low top first (I run the 86a venom bottom and a 95a low top); they are not wobbly loose but they are looser than stock with the nut flush. The venoms are only 4 duro softer than the stocks, however, they are much better urethane and provide way more rebound; the dual duro combo makes them very snappy.

I've also shaved the stock top down to get the nut flush and net a bit more turn.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 10:40:36 PM by Xen »

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #591 on: June 18, 2022, 07:08:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Stock thunders, nut flush are too tight for me. I can skate them but need a little more give.

Maybe try a low top first (I run the 86a venom bottom and a 95a low top); they are not wobbly loose but they are looser than stock with the nut flush. The venoms are only 4 duro softer than the stocks, however, they are much better urethane and provide way more rebound; the dual duro combo makes them very snappy.

I've also shaved the stock top down to get the nut flush and net a bit more turn.

What’s the rec on shaving bushings? We talking razor blade or a Belt sander?

Dan Gerous

« Reply #592 on: June 18, 2022, 08:15:48 AM »
Personally I'd use a fresh new blade, sounds quicker and easier than a belt sander.

Gerwer used old style Venture low top bushings in Thunders, the old ones were lower than the current Venture Lows use I think. He was hoarding new old stock he could find in the DLX warehouse but now they released lower Venture bushing kits for those who can't get stock 90A bushings loose enough, that could be an option, although I'm not sure if stock top bushings of Thunders and Ventures are the same hight... but obviously, just shaving the top bushing is free!

Using a top bushing at the bottom works too but puts everything out of alignement, it lowers the trucks even more (could be a good thing or bad thing depending who you ask), shortens the wheelbase a bit (again, could be a good thing or bad thing depending who you ask) but probably also wears the pivot quicker. I think that's why Ishod uses thin risers, it brings back a similar pop angle to a stock setup... and obviously he doesn't care if his pivot cups blow out more often.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 08:57:22 AM by Dan Gerous »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
« Reply #593 on: June 18, 2022, 08:28:27 AM »
It’s true that my statement re: super loose thunders isn’t totally accurate there are some….but it’s a category of skaters who are commonly just really good, or heaven forbid can handle their landings…..I’m not one of those people.  If I rode them again, I’d tighten them up…..

The way he described the twin it made me think I could skate better on one too…..nope…..just did a bunch of shuvs…..

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #594 on: June 18, 2022, 03:28:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

What’s the rec on shaving bushings? We talking razor blade or a Belt sander?

Rub the crap out of them on old decks, grip does the job, just be sure to rotate as you sand it down for even wear.

El Freegano

• Rep: 219
« Reply #595 on: July 30, 2022, 01:47:47 PM »
I have ordered 147 lights for super cheap and wonder what is the biggest size wheel you can ride on them? The height is 49 mm and i wonder if it is possible to ride 52 or it is too much wheelbite. This month i got an old secondhand pair of standard 147 (which are my new favourite trucks) and ride them with 52 mm wheels, i  rarely get wheelbites. Have you tried risers on 147 lights and if so how does  it feel? I havent been skating risers for more than 20 years but it might be nessary if i dont want to skate 50 mm wheels. And one last question -  I read that the wb is different for the forged plates and  i wonder if hangers of the different models (standard, lights, hollows) are the same shape and can be switched on the diffentent plates (forged and teams)?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #596 on: July 30, 2022, 03:06:14 PM »
I have ordered 147 lights for super cheap and wonder what is the biggest size wheel you can ride on them? The height is 49 mm and i wonder if it is possible to ride 52 or it is too much wheelbite. This month i got an old secondhand pair of standard 147 (which are my new favourite trucks) and ride them with 52 mm wheels, i  rarely get wheelbites. Have you tried risers on 147 lights and if so how does  it feel? I havent been skating risers for more than 20 years but it might be nessary if i dont want to skate 50 mm wheels. And one last question -  I read that the wb is different for the forged plates and  i wonder if hangers of the different models (standard, lights, hollows) are the same shape and can be switched on the diffentent plates (forged and teams)?

I don’t skate larger than 52s on the 147s (mine are hollow lights).
I, shamefully, have two setups I use: one has the 147s with 52 conical fulls. I get wheelbite. Like em tho.
Currently, I just like venture 5.2 lo’s more, and just skate them almost all the time. For what that is worth, not much…
I think cromer skates 53s, but in general, people that skate 147s seem to skate 50-52s, and thinner shaped wheels at that

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 998
  • the moon rules
« Reply #597 on: July 30, 2022, 09:15:04 PM »
I skated 60mm classics on 147’s once when I was younger without any issue. More often than not I’d skate a 52 on 147’s, but I would sometimes size up to 56’s if I was feeling spicy. Always loose and never with risers. Right now I have a Dane Jr set up with old 147 titanium lights and big wheels. It can wheelbite, but so does any other board, so I don’t really think about it. I tried some shock pads last year and hated the feeling
fuck you bama

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #598 on: July 30, 2022, 09:18:01 PM »

I've noticed a good handful of pros on Thunder have risers on their setups. Guys like Wade can get away with 147 lights with no risers but the man lands everything perfectly

I had a pair of 147 standards that I was getting pretty consistent wheelbite on with 52 mm wheels. I cut some "risers" out of a 1.5 mm silicone rubber sheet and that little bit actually helped quite a bit. Alas, thunders still weren't for me and went back to being an Indy guy

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #599 on: July 31, 2022, 03:23:38 AM »
I ride 52mm and pretty loose Thunders with 90a bushings, 1/16th shockpads. Got myself a Polar Hjalte deck with wheel wells and all problems with wheel bite disappeared for good.