Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 146674 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1127
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #1140 on: April 06, 2023, 05:20:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Yah I didn’t know so I thought I’d ask….I figured maybe tighter turning radius, more twitchy?  Liked the comparison to venture lo’s, hadn’t thought of it.

I guess people skate the 147’s with washers as it’s that much lower….
[close]

Ben Degros has a nice breakdown of the Thunder 147 vs. Venture Lo 5.2 on his channel that is worth a watch.

What was his takeaway?

If I was recommending a truck to the masses, 148s: higher, more turn, still good pop.

147s…you gotta kinda be into ‘that’, which is low, maybe 52s/smaller, more twitch. To me, 147s are the classic thunder feel.
I would be very remiss if I did not point out that I am influenced by Wade, Ishod, old MJ footage, rare Gino clips… not my favorites, but I think Shane, Nyjah are on 147s as well. Some hitters.

runespliffberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #1141 on: April 06, 2023, 11:24:34 PM »
After skating Indy’s for a decade, I decided to see what else is out there. Tried ace for a year, now I’ve been on Thunders for the last year. I’ve been through 2 sets: hollow lights 148’s with the forged plates and now cast regular ass ones for the added height. I take out the bottom washer since I like them loose, stock bushings, and they turn just as well as indy (forged), the regular ones and ace turn deeper because of the added height. Thunders do excel with most grinds, I can sit on them in crooks/feebles/smiths and just go. Yeah the baseplate thing drove me mad at first, but skating these made me learn tailslides way more proper. I used to get wheelbite like a mf, but I got used to the height and can still make sharp turns/swerve without having to tic-tac 95% of the time. Overall thunders are probably my second favorite truck. I liked ace but I fell out of long grinds too often so they’re third on my list. Different strokes for different folks, but I am enjoying Thunders way more than I did when I was younger. I’ll be back to indy forged once these are at their limit though.

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 34
« Reply #1142 on: April 07, 2023, 01:34:20 AM »
because when you go wider you have a wider turning radius
i see what you mean though whne you push out the wheels with washers it is effectively doing the same thing. you also have less meat on the trucks though so grinds would feel a little more tight . and thunders scale the height as well with the width as you know

I think the major difference is the pivot nub thing is longer on >=148 trucks. The bigger trucks also seem to have a bit more meat on the "wings" which makes sens i guess.
Bushings, kingpin and baseplate seem to be the same. Could this lead to a different angle of the trucks with the same bushing height but a short pivot nub?
Intuitively I feel like it could extend the wheelbase marginally, since the 147 should be "tilted" a bit towards the nose and tail? This is purely speculative but I guess this is what this place is meant for^^

Here are some comparison photos of 149 and 147 hangers.
Disclaimer:
These are both used trucks but I guess one does still get the general idea and they are ground kinda equally. The 147 is from 2015 (they still had the yellow bushings). The 149 are from around ~2019 i would guess (blue bushings). Were there any changes in the thunder geometry in the last 10-15 years except for the kingpins when they had supply chain issues because of covid? The baseplate got the hexnut recess but otherwise stayed the same?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1050
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1143 on: April 07, 2023, 04:16:49 AM »
Expand Quote
because when you go wider you have a wider turning radius
i see what you mean though whne you push out the wheels with washers it is effectively doing the same thing. you also have less meat on the trucks though so grinds would feel a little more tight . and thunders scale the height as well with the width as you know
[close]

I think the major difference is the pivot nub thing is longer on >=148 trucks. The bigger trucks also seem to have a bit more meat on the "wings" which makes sens i guess.
Bushings, kingpin and baseplate seem to be the same. Could this lead to a different angle of the trucks with the same bushing height but a short pivot nub?
Intuitively I feel like it could extend the wheelbase marginally, since the 147 should be "tilted" a bit towards the nose and tail? This is purely speculative but I guess this is what this place is meant for^^

Here are some comparison photos of 149 and 147 hangers.
Disclaimer:
These are both used trucks but I guess one does still get the general idea and they are ground kinda equally. The 147 is from 2015 (they still had the yellow bushings). The 149 are from around ~2019 i would guess (blue bushings). Were there any changes in the thunder geometry in the last 10-15 years except for the kingpins when they had supply chain issues because of covid? The baseplate got the hexnut recess but otherwise stayed the same?

Good pics!

I recall someone talking about the way the trucks go up in height, saying that as you said, the baseplate, bushings and everything else besides the hanger are still the same for all, then just the height of the hanger in the upper part of the wider trucks from 148+ being taller than 147s.

This allows the same geometry with the same bushings and everything else, just a bit more kingpin clearance and a bit more overall height.  The wheelbase is more or less the same, although as you said it could be pointed out that the angle is not vertical but if you check, I think it is where the axle is positioned in the taller versions which keeps it the same.

Apart from that, as others said the wider you go the more the turn will change, but as to wheelbite, the wider board will usually have more concave up into the edges which will offset that to some degree.

I was messing around with 149, 151 and 161s the other day on the same board, which was almost too tippy on the 149s, then pretty good on the 151s and a little too wide spread on the 161s for the size that it was - 8.75 DLX standard shape - but I could see how all three versions would work for different people.

Yet to see the really wide 181 trucks that came out to go with the Zip Zoggers 10" decks, but I don't think I am missing out at all there.

On some of the smaller boards I have set up for kids or others to use, the 147s feel quite low and small by comparison, as I am way more used to taller wider trucks on most setups nowdays, but they still worked fine on the 8 to 8.25 boards with various wheels, usually with risers and looser trucks to help the light weight bodies turn more easily as well.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1144 on: April 07, 2023, 08:56:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Yah I didn’t know so I thought I’d ask….I figured maybe tighter turning radius, more twitchy?  Liked the comparison to venture lo’s, hadn’t thought of it.

I guess people skate the 147’s with washers as it’s that much lower….
[close]

Ben Degros has a nice breakdown of the Thunder 147 vs. Venture Lo 5.2 on his channel that is worth a watch.
[close]

What was his takeaway?

If I was recommending a truck to the masses, 148s: higher, more turn, still good pop.

147s…you gotta kinda be into ‘that’, which is low, maybe 52s/smaller, more twitch. To me, 147s are the classic thunder feel.
I would be very remiss if I did not point out that I am influenced by Wade, Ishod, old MJ footage, rare Gino clips… not my favorites, but I think Shane, Nyjah are on 147s as well. Some hitters.

Ben's thoughts in the video:

Venture Lo 5.2:
-great pinch
-decent for manuals
-turn not as bad as is often stated
-"tinny and hard" grind
-was able to ride them relatively loose

Thunder 147:
-excellent for manuals
-had to ride them tighter than the Ventures
-better pop than the Ventures once he got used to them
-good pinch, but Ventures better
-good on transition

Both have shit KP clearance but wasn't an issue once the nuts get ground down.

Verdict: Thunder. But he loved the Ventures as well.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 31
« Reply #1145 on: April 07, 2023, 05:03:17 PM »
Little question about the Thunder 148 raws, this is my third session with them, but, i come from the Ventures 5.2 high (on 8.125), and I have a feeling of "rigidity", there is not the soft cushioning that I have with the Ventures .. is normal ? Maybe you should wait for the bushings to soften a little... or for me to loosen them even more.

I have the impression that high trucks above 52 mm are perhaps better for cushioning and shock protection (For the back, knees ..)! Maybe I'm wrong ..

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1146 on: April 09, 2023, 01:21:21 PM »
Three sessions (how long were they? an hour/2 hour each?) on a new truck vs how many sessions on your old ones?

Give the thunders some time to break in. What color are your thunder bushings? Clear/translucent are stiff out of the bag than the white stock bushings.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1147 on: April 09, 2023, 02:01:35 PM »
Another simple thing too is that I've noticed over the past year that Thunders come with the kinpin nut tightened to pretty random levels. Most wouldn't consider Ventures or Venture bushings to feel "soft", so I wonder if yours were also tightened more from the factory?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1148 on: April 09, 2023, 03:19:30 PM »
I’ve had a fairly different experience, in that with thunders, I don’t have any break-in time. First day is fine.
Maybe that means they are my truck?

The irony of finding the setup, when I am waaaaay past my pull date

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
« Reply #1149 on: April 09, 2023, 04:25:22 PM »
From what I remember the stock bushings overall aren't bad, they just firm up a bit and eventually break down.

Venture hi have more space before wheel bite for sure though. 

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1150 on: April 09, 2023, 05:27:15 PM »
I have no Thunder bushing break in time either.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #1151 on: April 09, 2023, 06:38:55 PM »
I have no Thunder bushing break in time either.
neither do I

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #1152 on: April 09, 2023, 08:27:53 PM »
A 147 with risers and tons to washers is just a 148

ha i got a new cruiser, 8.25 and had some 147s lying around - i did this and they work so well.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 473
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1153 on: April 10, 2023, 05:23:23 PM »
Regarding Thunder bushings and break-in period: I can definitely enjoy riding them day one. I have noticed that they firm up quite a bit after the first 20 minutes or so and after a few sessions soften back up with a nice responsiveness. But to me they seem to get even better about a month later when they have that mash into the turn feeling and bounce back to center after the carve.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 150
« Reply #1154 on: April 10, 2023, 09:46:45 PM »
Regarding Thunder bushings and break-in period: I can definitely enjoy riding them day one. I have noticed that they firm up quite a bit after the first 20 minutes or so and after a few sessions soften back up with a nice responsiveness. But to me they seem to get even better about a month later when they have that mash into the turn feeling and bounce back to center after the carve.

I have always said Thunders have the best stock bushings. Never switched em out and last me forever.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1155 on: April 10, 2023, 10:39:08 PM »
Not everyone is crazy about this idea but I liked putting riptide pivots in…..the Indy/ Bennett ones fit fine….

YeoWhattup

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1156 on: April 21, 2023, 09:35:02 PM »
Ace low bushings in 151s with 1/8 riser pads and 56mm conicals have got to be my new favorite combo

rawbacon

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1157 on: April 21, 2023, 10:10:46 PM »
did they move manufacturing back to the states? i thought i saw some random post of a truck that had a "made in the usa" tag on it

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #1158 on: April 22, 2023, 02:03:29 AM »
did they move manufacturing back to the states? i thought i saw some random post of a truck that had a "made in the usa" tag on it

They have always poured the hangers and cast base plates in SF.
How much for an order of ribs?

Richard Skidder

« Reply #1159 on: April 22, 2023, 06:05:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

With the made in the USA sticker they may be old stock, or an old photo. Though all cast models are poured in the USA the materials are sourced elsewhere including the bushings and hardware, making them not enough to still be labeled as USA made. Also there are rumors of Thunder and Venture moving production to Mexico.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1160 on: April 22, 2023, 06:56:24 AM »
I find it interesting that the Thunder thread gets the least attention of any truck thread on here. Are they just that vanilla? So lackluster that they don't deserve accolades? Or so solid that there's not much to discuss?

Every time I try to move away from mine I come back. At this point the lack of baseplate slide can be a bit annoying if the side of a ledge isn't waxed and I've bent 2 axles, and my pop isn't the highest, but that's small details compare to everything else just working really well on em.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1161 on: April 22, 2023, 07:17:46 AM »
I find it interesting that the Thunder thread gets the least attention of any truck thread on here. Are they just that vanilla? So lackluster that they don't deserve accolades? Or so solid that there's not much to discuss?

Every time I try to move away from mine I come back. At this point the lack of baseplate slide can be a bit annoying if the side of a ledge isn't waxed and I've bent 2 axles, and my pop isn't the highest, but that's small details compare to everything else just working really well on em.

I go back and forth with a lot of gear, and skate infrequently. And I’m bad. So it doesn’t matter what I use, really. But 147s (and 5.2 lo’s), are going to result with the most tricks landed, for me.
If I was going to recommend a truck I thought would works for most people, the 148s would be that.
No break in time. I’ve not had a qc problem with thunders in the 2000s.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1162 on: April 22, 2023, 07:18:33 AM »
marketing and hype is my only explanation......and I think how people skate has changed where they don't necessarily value a lower lighter truck.  anyone that skates thunders, I never try and talk them out of skating them, I think they are great trucks.

YeoWhattup

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1163 on: April 22, 2023, 07:24:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

With the made in the USA sticker they may be old stock, or an old photo. Though all cast models are poured in the USA the materials are sourced elsewhere including the bushings and hardware, making them not enough to still be labeled as USA made. Also there are rumors of Thunder and Venture moving production to Mexico.

Saw some thunders at my local that said made in Mexico on the sticker. Heard the same about spitfire

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1164 on: April 22, 2023, 07:25:13 AM »
True

Thunders aren’t great with gigantic wheels, not slaloming, and maybe bowls aren’t the best, I wouldn’t know.

But for landing trick…

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1165 on: April 22, 2023, 08:22:12 AM »
Cody Lockwood does great on transition with larger wheels and no risers on Thunders

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1166 on: April 22, 2023, 08:43:01 AM »
Cody Lockwood does great on transition with larger wheels and no risers on Thunders

Yeah, but

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #1167 on: April 22, 2023, 10:40:14 AM »

They might have the most enduring good reputation of all the truck brands among skaters. I think very few people would be bummed to ride for Thunder based on both image and performance.  Aside from the occasional complaints of wheelbite and the baseplate "issue", they're really well loved.

I've tried 147s a couple of times and I just haven't been able to get them to feel right. I'm one of the wheelbite and baseplate issue babies. I'm really tempted to give 148s a go though.

I think they're the best looking truck. I got stoked looking at my setup with them on.

Richard Skidder

« Reply #1168 on: April 22, 2023, 04:05:50 PM »

It could be that Thunder seems to be the least modified truck of all the mainstays. Meaning less people feel the need to fuck with them a bunch, sometimes the Indy thread can be a bit dizzying because of all swapping of this and that. And I’m not talking shit by the way I’m down for all the nerding out, but at least for me Thunder just works and I can keep it simple.

juniormint

• Rep: 142
« Reply #1169 on: April 22, 2023, 04:16:38 PM »
Yeah I feel like once you figure out/accept the potential wheelbite situation, they are the most well rounded truck. They turn really well imo, are light, clean design, come in a range of sizes and options, work great with risers also. I am also in the camp of the baseplate “issue” actually being advantageous, I hope they don’t change it.