Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 146727 times)

Can he read

Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #1890 on: February 28, 2024, 10:33:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
truck madness over !
[close]

[close]

well done. always and forever madness.

for what it is worth (zilch), the 148 lights, are excellent. in general i don’t get hyped on 8.25 trucks, but the thunders are as close to an anti-madness truck as i have had.
of course i rarely skate them, apparently i prefer to just slowly descend into madness….talking to myself, fighting invisible air goblins, both whilst skating painfully slowly and attempting what only i would know to be a nollie flip
[close]

Same I’m thinking thunder 147 are the best, ishod rides them, busenitz rides them, a lot of the guys we don’t expect actually ride them and I see why

They’re like the better version of mini logos/beginner trucks

And I’m thinking these are the ones, but no…Ride the best? Seeing everyone’s setup with aces, slappy are the new cool core trucks, my nostalgia making me want ventures or krux
[close]

It’s crazy if people are considering slappy the new cool core trucks when the first move they made outside of releasing their first line was to sign an exclusive deal with zumiez. I stopped riding mine after that because I didn’t like how they responded when I asked if their new colorways would be available anywhere else.
[close]

I had no idea, all I know is anyone who wasn’t riding the og 3 or aces was riding slappy and cause it was Mike Sinclair it was “by skaters for skaters” type deal but exclusive deal with zumiez???

Also Chris Cole rides thunders and he’s the best

Yeah it was a whole thing. I was pretty hyped on slappy and Mike was sending me trucks for promoting them etc. but then he did a deal with zumiez and when I asked wtf that was about he kinda gave me the 3rd degree and I abandoned ship. If you wanna sell your gear in zumiez I totally get that, make your money. No disrespect. Surely it’s hard enough to start a new truck brand and survive the first year or two, but to me releasing three exclusive colorways ONLY available at zumiez when you’re only selling standard silver trucks otherwise is pretty wack no matter how you spin it.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #1891 on: February 29, 2024, 08:27:23 PM »
my bad if this has been covered but does anyone know what aftermarket pivot cups are compatible with thunders? Cast baseplates if that makes a difference.

Just realized how much variation there could be when i saw how much more pointy Ace classics were compared to AF1 cups

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1050
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1892 on: March 01, 2024, 02:34:27 AM »
my bad if this has been covered but does anyone know what aftermarket pivot cups are compatible with thunders? Cast baseplates if that makes a difference.

Just realized how much variation there could be when i saw how much more pointy Ace classics were compared to AF1 cups

I think Ace are the only odd one out in terms of generic pivot cup shapes, so pretty much any pivot cup for any major brand will work in them.

DLX / Thunder pivot cups are pretty common where I am, as well as Modus, Indy, plus more I just can't think of right this minute, but they all fit well.

As long as they are marketed to any of the usual trucks, either Thunder, Venture, Indy or generic, they will be good.

* I almost forgot, the Thunder rebuild kits also have pivot cups in them, so if places don't have pivot cups on their own, you could always see if they have those, 90 duro, 95 duro and 100 duro bushing optoins.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1893 on: March 01, 2024, 12:31:26 PM »
I ran riptide ones as well, i know the shape is different, but they riptide ones are pretty cushy, so I think I ran Indy/Bennett.

Fooj

• Rep: 192
« Reply #1894 on: March 01, 2024, 03:13:14 PM »
Sweet thanks for the help

nocomplylover

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1895 on: March 11, 2024, 11:57:15 AM »

161 Hollow Lights
Aftermarket 90a Thunder bushings
Real 1/8" wooden riser pads to make up for the shorter height of hollows (I feel zero difference between these pads and normal plastic ones)

I like Thunder because they work. Zero gimmicks and it's perfect for everything.
u r from sj?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1896 on: March 16, 2024, 10:44:20 PM »
I’m back thunder gang.

97a thunder bushings/bones flat washers (bit thinner so I can get more king nut engagement without cranking them down).

I should have nabbed these sooner; much better than the 94s some how, more responsive but just as stable.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1127
« Reply #1897 on: March 17, 2024, 12:01:23 AM »
I’m back thunder gang.

97a thunder bushings/bones flat washers (bit thinner so I can get more king nut engagement without cranking them down).

I should have nabbed these sooner; much better than the 94s some how, more responsive but just as stable.

148s?
what size wheels?

i was skating 148 lights this week. they work very well

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 473
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1898 on: March 17, 2024, 06:03:38 AM »
I’m back thunder gang.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=xZzEzDkeHzI&si=HX788MPBDdX5QNOg

I know the feeling. I was gifted an 8.5 over the holidays and I put some Indy 149 standards on there. Though it was skateable something still wasn’t quite right. I bit the bullet and grabbed some Thunder 149 standards from my local and I gotta say Thunder just feels like home.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1899 on: March 17, 2024, 11:49:43 AM »
Expand Quote
I’m back thunder gang.

[close]

148s?
what size wheels?

i was skating 148 lights this week. they work very well

Coming off Venture 5.6s

148 hollow lites + 103a 50mm stfs v1s (for some hanger room) on an 8.2 with a 14.2 WB

While I still get some wheel bite, it's much much less and I def like the grind more than the ventures + the added nimbleness of the thunder twitch.

We'll see if the bushings firm up or stay the same.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1203
« Reply #1900 on: March 20, 2024, 12:05:40 PM »
any of you Thunder afficiandos with spare/extra parts... I'm looking for some Thunder hollow kingpin baseplates.  Would prefer cast, but not sure Thunder did/does hollow kingpins in a cast baseplate.

PM me if you can help
hardly art, hardly starving

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 309
« Reply #1901 on: March 20, 2024, 12:11:39 PM »
any of you Thunder afficiandos with spare/extra parts... I'm looking for some Thunder hollow kingpin baseplates.  Would prefer cast, but not sure Thunder did/does hollow kingpins in a cast baseplate.

PM me if you can help
I think team hollows are hollow kingpin but also hollow axles with cast baseplates.

CweamCheeds

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1902 on: March 20, 2024, 12:27:51 PM »
Currently skating aces but looking for a more stable and nimble truck. I’ve been thinking about thunders because they’re low and light and have the longer wheelbase. I was wondering if there are particular deck dimensions that work great with thunders, or do they pair well with almost anything? Also, how are they when breaking in?

wax poetic

• Rep: 45
  • fuck it, I'll stir the pot
« Reply #1903 on: March 20, 2024, 12:35:16 PM »
Currently skating aces but looking for a more stable and nimble truck. I’ve been thinking about thunders because they’re low and light and have the longer wheelbase. I was wondering if there are particular deck dimensions that work great with thunders, or do they pair well with almost anything? Also, how are they when breaking in?

I always swap the bushings with bones med's and then they are good to go.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 998
  • the moon rules
« Reply #1904 on: March 20, 2024, 01:07:07 PM »

PM me if you can help
I gotchu @art hellman
fuck you bama

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 31
« Reply #1905 on: March 20, 2024, 01:35:00 PM »
I'm currently skating 8.125, and after riding Indy Forged Hollows 139s for a few months, I'm going to switch to trucks for 8.25, and obviously thunder is the thing that tempts me the most to switch to wider ones (for responsiveness).

Last year I tried standard 148s but I had 139 ventures next to them and I preferred to use this, and my 8.125 at the time was long.

Currently I have a fairly sharp shape and a short board, it’s Perfect, and I am determined to upgrade to 148s. However; Which one do you recommend, the standard 148 or the V lights ? I don't know if there is much difference, if it affects skating or something else, your preference regarding the sensation of ride, pop..

Thank for advices !
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 01:46:54 PM by FrenchSkater »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1906 on: March 20, 2024, 02:37:22 PM »
Do you slide on your baseplate a lot?
Are you heavy?
What size wheels do you ride?
What is your preferred WB?
How tight do you ride?
What do you skate?

Thunders are more nimble than Venture but Venture are more stable; the tighter you ride the less of a disparity there is between the two in that regard.

Thunders are lighter than the venture equivalent and grind better; I'd give the pinch edge to thunder but only if you aren't riding super tight.

I've been swapping between 5.6 V-lights (indy hard bushings 94a) and Thunder 148 Hollow lights (97a thunder bushings) on an 8.2 with a 14.2"WB.

The thunders, even with the harder bushings, are still a bit more turny than the Ventures but are still stable and I still get more wheelbite on thunders with forged plates riding 52mm wheels than I do on the ventures so I run 50mm wheels on the thunders).

Both are 100% fun to skate but I prefer the stability and pop of ventures along with the longer baseplate (just in case).

Venture hangers look cooler than thunder hangers.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 31
« Reply #1907 on: March 20, 2024, 02:43:12 PM »
Are you heavy?
How tight do you ride?
What do you skate?

Thunders are more nimble than Venture but Venture are more stable; the tighter you ride the less of a disparity there is between the two in that regard.

Thunders are lighter than the venture equivalent and grind better; I'd give the pinch edge to thunder but only if you aren't riding super tight.

I've been swapping between 5.6 V-lights (indy hard bushings 94a) and Thunder 148 Hollow lights (97a thunder bushings) on an 8.2 with a 14.2"WB.

The thunders, even with the harder bushings, are still a bit more turny than the Ventures but are still stable and I still get more wheelbite on thunders with forged plates riding 52mm wheels than I do on the ventures so I run 50mm wheels on the thunders).

Both are 100% fun to skate but I prefer the stability and pop of ventures along with the longer baseplate (just in case).

I m 5,7 ft, 8.0 shoes size, and i skate often flatground, ledge, banks and Little gap !

I skate my trucks, neither too tight nor too loose (so medium), and for wheels, 52 mm !

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1908 on: March 20, 2024, 06:00:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Are you heavy?
How tight do you ride?
What do you skate?

[close]

I m 5,7 ft, 8.0 shoes size, and i skate often flatground, ledge, banks and Little gap !

I skate my trucks, neither too tight nor too loose (so medium), and for wheels, 52 mm !

Well, either would work but flat+ledge+gaps (stable ollies and landings) I say go Venture!

diplodocus

• Rep: 162
  • long neck
« Reply #1909 on: March 20, 2024, 06:08:20 PM »

Break in is quick for me. I found that 14 in WB can be really fun, and coming from Aces I was never able to skate 14in wb.  but Thunder is pretty neutral in regards to what WB it can be used with.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
« Reply #1910 on: March 20, 2024, 10:25:22 PM »
I think they pair well with a lot of boards, wheelbase wise I think 14” but even with something like 14.25 plus they are low and light so your board won’t feel like a vert set up. 

The marketing says otherwise, but thunders are the daintiest truck…..I see some people skating them loose but IMO they are best skated medium/tight. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1911 on: March 22, 2024, 11:36:03 AM »
I think they pair well with a lot of boards, wheelbase wise I think 14” but even with something like 14.25 plus they are low and light so your board won’t feel like a vert set up. 

The marketing says otherwise, but thunders are the daintiest truck…..I see some people skating them loose but IMO they are best skated medium/tight. 

+1

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 309
« Reply #1912 on: March 23, 2024, 09:49:52 AM »
Gilbert Crockett is skating Thunders in his most recent instagram post.

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 7
« Reply #1913 on: March 23, 2024, 01:08:58 PM »

All hands on deck!

Sound the alarm!

YeoWhattup

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1914 on: March 23, 2024, 02:51:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

All hands on deck!

Sound the alarm!

Makes me want some all black team 149s, like when he had that all black venture color way a while back.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1127
« Reply #1915 on: March 23, 2024, 04:38:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

All hands on deck!

Sound the alarm!
[close]

Makes me want some all black team 149s, like when he had that all black venture color way a while back.

i have his mostly all black colorway, in 5.2 lo’s.

i’m stoked some people are drifting back towards thunder.
if im ever ready to surrender, i’ll just put on these 148 lights i have and stop worrying about the setup.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1916 on: March 24, 2024, 01:45:57 AM »
Nyjah is skating Thunder too.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #1917 on: March 24, 2024, 08:33:41 PM »