Author Topic: Oskis New Truck Brand  (Read 134569 times)

mamba

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 142
  • Sucka free
Re: Oskis New Truck Brand
« Reply #1380 on: June 05, 2022, 12:16:38 PM »
i think lurpiv is done. how much dead inventory do these guys probably have now? it’s an absolute money sink and i think the smart thing to do is to give up before sinking more money. the design is flawed and there is no quality control.

lilboosie

• Rep: 226
« Reply #1381 on: June 05, 2022, 12:23:18 PM »
Oddly enough this makes me want to try the trucks even more now. Tactics better have that deep discount soon. And they come unpolished which will be easy for painting

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1382 on: June 05, 2022, 01:25:45 PM »
Lurpiv done?

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CebQl11jZSB/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Well shit, that was fast.

Hope you guys kept some Lurpivs deadstock to resell in like 10 years for 10x retail :v

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
« Reply #1383 on: June 05, 2022, 05:57:01 PM »
I think that is their intent…..but…..we’ll find it’s dunzo….

Or they should just get them made where everyone else gets trucks made….china.

It’s almost as if the Chinese are actually better than most of the rest of the world at manufacturing durable goods.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #1384 on: June 05, 2022, 06:32:16 PM »
So this is what I got told:
The factory that produced Lurpivs actually used to make car parts. Their biggest costumer pulled out so they were struggling and had to find other forms of revenue. That’s where Lurpiv came to play. But I guess it wasn’t enough to keep the lights on so they had to shut down.

From what I know, the trucks were kinda expensive to produce in comparison to the industry’s standard.
That’s why lurpiv was just selling them directly to the consumer through their webstore.
They were struggling to get them to be sold at skate shops and still make a decent profit…

But I feel like this is not the last time we hear about them… maybe they’ll move somewhere that makes it more business friendly. Who knows…
they were offering shops the trucks at a standard hardgoods margin a couple months back, but minimum order of 20 pairs i think it was

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1385 on: June 05, 2022, 06:55:41 PM »
Ermico need a third truck brand that prioritizes deep turns for the crusiey curb clubs and tight transition aficionados.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 721
« Reply #1386 on: June 05, 2022, 07:22:02 PM »
This is making me feel like I shouldn’t have immediately sold my Lurpivs after buying them - @IpathCats share the wealth when you’re a millionaire in 2037

IpathCats

« Reply #1387 on: June 05, 2022, 07:57:10 PM »
This is making me feel like I shouldn’t have immediately sold my Lurpivs after buying them - @IpathCats share the wealth when you’re a millionaire in 2037

Lmfao, I gave them to a friend for his bday like I told you. He's still skating them. Hopefully they don't snap on him

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1388 on: June 05, 2022, 08:40:16 PM »
Who'd a thunk the new Royals would beat out Swedish aerospace engineering?

logjammin

• Rep: 333
« Reply #1389 on: June 05, 2022, 09:02:10 PM »
That sucks if true. Had a rough start but if they go back to the drawing board and bring it to a different foundry it would be cool to see them succeed and gain more traction. Ace went from a truck with problems in the beginning to a truck that still has problems but I still can't get away from them. That t-hanger was cool looking, if they have to scrap it and make it look closer to an Ace to gain strength, so be it. I dig the thunder/ace/lurpiv more slimmed out type hanger look for sure.

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1390 on: June 05, 2022, 09:23:58 PM »
That sucks if true. Had a rough start but if they go back to the drawing board and bring it to a different foundry it would be cool to see them succeed and gain more traction. Ace went from a truck with problems in the beginning to a truck that still has problems but I still can't get away from them. That t-hanger was cool looking, if they have to scrap it and make it look closer to an Ace to gain strength, so be it. I dig the thunder/ace/lurpiv more slimmed out type hanger look for sure.

Yeah, I think lurpiv went too big too fast. Should’ve started small and attracted “early adopters” first via smaller inventory

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1391 on: June 05, 2022, 11:26:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, I think lurpiv went too big too fast. Should’ve started small and attracted “early adopters” first via smaller inventory

I doubt they had the option to go small quantities for trucks since they were making them from scratch (new molds), a foundry wouldn't do the order unless the MOQ was worth their time and effort.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #1392 on: June 05, 2022, 11:38:54 PM »
It's def a bummer it didn't work out but has any new tech ever worked out in recent history? I'm thinking tensor, silver, theeve all had to ditch their tech stuff and just make standard trucks (don't even know if theeve and silver are still going or not) diamond ended up making just regular hardware after their first run of two Allen keys bolts didn't work. Ricta had all the cored wheel stuff. Rubber griptape?

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #1393 on: June 06, 2022, 12:35:44 AM »
It's an unfortunate story...

MAYBE Oski should've stuck to a more traditional truck design... but would anyone have bought it without the allure of all these cool new ideas?

MAYBE he should've started smaller... but as stated, it was probably a huge initial investment to create the assembly line for a completely new product, so might as well at least try to break even, I'm sure they did at least a very basic business plan strategy.

MAYBE he should've sold hardware first, then moved on to softgoods, then finally trucks... but then who cares about another startup hardware/griptape company?

I respect the kid for going balls out on an extremely difficult project. He went a little too big, too fast, but he also saw the opportunity to help a floundering family-owned foundry/factory and that's an important part of industry that's easy to overlook. I work in manufacturing and every day we fight together with suppliers/manufacturers/customers to keep us all in business, so I can relate. I guess, according to @Sk.A.T.A.N, Lurpiv wasn't able to prevent the closure of this business and loss of work for some folks, but that's a hell of a thing to try to do. As others have said, he's probably quite comfortable with his Nike checks and whatever else he's got going on (contests?) so he didn't need to do any of this. And then to close(?) the company with a lighthearted, "aw, shucks", type of instagram post, I think Oski is going to be OK, he seems to have his head screwed on right.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #1394 on: June 06, 2022, 01:09:02 AM »
I also got the message that they have to change the factory.

I hope they will be able to find a suitable alternative.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1395 on: June 06, 2022, 01:35:15 AM »
It's def a bummer it didn't work out but has any new tech ever worked out in recent history? I'm thinking tensor, silver, theeve all had to ditch their tech stuff and just make standard trucks (don't even know if theeve and silver are still going or not) diamond ended up making just regular hardware after their first run of two Allen keys bolts didn't work. Ricta had all the cored wheel stuff. Rubber griptape?

Tensor - Maglight are their premium range, Aluminum for mid range and Alloys for pricepoint range, no fancy slider plates
Silver - Basic hollow trucks distributed on a reduced scale, used to do some with models with funny looking baseplates, the axle nut protectors were great a fun idea but they would go missing after a few sessions
Cream (rubber griptape) - some shops are selling them but have yet to reach mass adoption
Ricta - still does cored wheels and Speed Rings, no more Air Cores (hollow wheels)

The industry is mature so any improvements are going to be incremental at best. VX, Flight and Impact decks are the only ones which seemed to have worked out but I'm sure sales numbers pale in comparison to regular 7-ply maple decks.

It's an unfortunate story...

MAYBE Oski should've stuck to a more traditional truck design... but would anyone have bought it without the allure of all these cool new ideas?

MAYBE he should've started smaller... but as stated, it was probably a huge initial investment to create the assembly line for a completely new product, so might as well at least try to break even, I'm sure they did at least a very basic business plan strategy.

MAYBE he should've sold hardware first, then moved on to softgoods, then finally trucks... but then who cares about another startup hardware/griptape company?

I respect the kid for going balls out on an extremely difficult project. He went a little too big, too fast, but he also saw the opportunity to help a floundering family-owned foundry/factory and that's an important part of industry that's easy to overlook. I work in manufacturing and every day we fight together with suppliers/manufacturers/customers to keep us all in business, so I can relate. I guess, according to @Sk.A.T.A.N, Lurpiv wasn't able to prevent the closure of this business and loss of work for some folks, but that's a hell of a thing to try to do. As others have said, he's probably quite comfortable with his Nike checks and whatever else he's got going on (contests?) so he didn't need to do any of this. And then to close(?) the company with a lighthearted, "aw, shucks", type of instagram post, I think Oski is going to be OK, he seems to have his head screwed on right.

Starting a company during the pandemic period was always going to be a risk, even more so for a technically / materially / financially demanding product like trucks. Not all entrepreneurs succeed but props to him for not doing down the OEM route and slapping his logo on a generic pair of China trucks or adding to the list of deck / wheel / hardware / bearings companies.

I'm sure the first few batches of Ace trucks had QC problems, even their current line of AF1 trucks aren't perfect and lot of users still prefer the Classics over the newer models.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1396 on: June 06, 2022, 02:45:21 AM »

Well shit, that was fast.

Hope you guys kept some Lurpivs deadstock to resell in like 10 years for 10x retail :v

I feel like there is a special place for these in the truck history museum, along with Z Roller trucks and other things, but at least Lurpiv trucks did work well for the most part.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

IpathCats

« Reply #1397 on: June 06, 2022, 04:58:23 AM »
People like the Geo and look, should've just put a hollow axel, and a regular kp with good clearance. They tried to do too much at once.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2194
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1398 on: June 06, 2022, 10:05:10 PM »
“You climbed on the ladder
With the wind in your sails
You came like a comet
Blazing your trail
Too high
Too far
Too soon
You saw the whole of the moon.”

RIP to real truck?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1399 on: June 07, 2022, 07:43:37 AM »
Glad I stuck with my OG Lurpivs. Currently on Ace Classic, if they crap out I'll either run the red Ace axle nuts on the IKP or superglue that shit and I'll be on Lurpivs again.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 07:51:22 AM by mbam003 »

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #1400 on: June 07, 2022, 08:15:07 AM »
Glad I stuck with my OG Lurpivs. Currently on Ace Classic, if they crap out I'll either run the red Ace axle nuts on the IKP or superglue that shit and I'll be on Lurpivs again.

This Loctite is better than gluing your nuts, my shit doesn't budge with it:

i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1401 on: June 08, 2022, 12:36:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This Loctite is better than gluing your nuts, my shit doesn't budge with it:

That's a great tip. I'll try to find something like it - I'm in Europe. I also entertained the thought of filling the baseplate hole with epoxy. I'll figure something out before the summer ends. The more elegant the solution the better, probably. Those Ace rethreading nuts look delicious too. To the people asking WHY??? Because I like them.

TJALOL

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1402 on: June 09, 2022, 10:52:52 AM »
They will be back.
Just moving the production to Switzerland.

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #1403 on: June 09, 2022, 10:57:49 AM »
They will be back.
Just moving the production to Switzerland.

bones swiss trucks

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 273
« Reply #1404 on: June 09, 2022, 08:30:09 PM »
Ermico need a third truck brand that prioritizes deep turns for the crusiey curb clubs and tight transition aficionados.

bring back Orion or Standard trucks..

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2194
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1405 on: June 09, 2022, 10:43:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

bring back Orion or Standard trucks..
Cutter Trucks

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #1406 on: July 11, 2022, 05:47:00 PM »
So uh, anybody know what to replace the missing nubs, other than my tears that is.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #1407 on: July 11, 2022, 06:31:27 PM »
So uh, anybody know what to replace the missing nubs, other than my tears that is.
I would replace the nubs with another set of trucks

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1408 on: July 11, 2022, 06:34:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I would replace the nubs with another set of trucks

This is the correct answer.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 299
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1409 on: July 11, 2022, 09:19:21 PM »
You can actually put Indys on your deck instead of Lurpivs to fix all your problems