Author Topic: Oskis New Truck Brand  (Read 133660 times)

Sk.A.T.A.N

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
Re: Oskis New Truck Brand
« Reply #660 on: November 26, 2021, 12:09:45 AM »

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #661 on: November 26, 2021, 03:41:26 AM »
Wow!

That is amazing.

Someone work in radiology, I wonder?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #662 on: November 26, 2021, 04:33:49 AM »
Yes! That's what I wanted to see. Thank you for sharing

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #663 on: November 26, 2021, 07:54:20 AM »
This is pretty revealing! :o https://www.instagram.com/p/CWuPxNovWtu/?utm_medium=copy_link

i wonder if the axle will ever come out during some gnarly crooks
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

Shuh

• Rep: 5
« Reply #664 on: November 26, 2021, 08:13:11 AM »
So not axle slip it just falls off?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #665 on: November 26, 2021, 08:23:01 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CU8oaZ4hNzh/

Made me realize I have no idea how trucks actually work. How does the axle stay in there?

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #666 on: November 26, 2021, 11:12:25 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CU8oaZ4hNzh/

Made me realize I have no idea how trucks actually work. How does the axle stay in there?
the trucks usually have gnurls but they will rotate or slide.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #667 on: November 26, 2021, 03:14:15 PM »
This is pretty revealing! :o https://www.instagram.com/p/CWuPxNovWtu/?utm_medium=copy_link

I’m not an engineer - is this a good or bad design physics-wise? 

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #668 on: November 26, 2021, 03:39:13 PM »
Expand Quote
This is pretty revealing! :o
[close]

Caveat: neither am I, but I did work in a machine shop for a while, as did manysnakes (I think..) who I hope chimes in too. Short answer, depends. There are types of interfacing fits used in industrial grade productions that are effectively permanent, shit used in heavy industry. If Oski can source a foundry that does rheocasting, which is a process way higher end than you'll find in a run of the mill truck, it's not unfeasible the same place can do precision engineering fits for the axles.

But realistically, we'll have to wait and see. It'll either be a problem or it won't be kind of thing, and that'll take the time of lots of people using them and beating the hell out of them.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #669 on: November 26, 2021, 04:57:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Caveat: neither am I, but I did work in a machine shop for a while, as did manysnakes (I think..) who I hope chimes in too. Short answer, depends. There are types of interfacing fits used in industrial grade productions that are effectively permanent, shit used in heavy industry. If Oski can source a foundry that does rheocasting, which is a process way higher end than you'll find in a run of the mill truck, it's not unfeasible the same place can do precision engineering fits for the axles.

But realistically, we'll have to wait and see. It'll either be a problem or it won't be kind of thing, and that'll take the time of lots of people using them and beating the hell out of them.

I worked in a machine shop that did basically this for high pressure compression scenarios as well as specific types of cylinder heads. It could absolutely hold if their casting process and alloy are done well. It looks like the axles are in fairly deep so the only possible issue I can see is cracking along the kingpin side end where the axle ends simply because that is where the material is the thinnest. If it’s done well I don’t think it would be a widespread problem but the thing about failure rates is that eventually one will happen and it will probably be blown out of proportion.

Lurpiv lows or mids would be sweet.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #670 on: November 26, 2021, 07:15:07 PM »
Ok so back when these were first announced I thought that's what it meant with the two axles. I'm guessing the actual material you grind will have to be much harder than a regular truck (like the titanium theeves) so has anyone actually grinded on these yet and can give real feedback?
I remember getting to try out the titanium theeves when they came out and they didn't work for me. I mostly do nosegrind and 5-0 variations and I do them like manuals (like Chris Roberts but I'm not that good) and the theeves absolutely would not grind like that. You had to do full tail/nose down leaning way back to grind or do Crookeds.
So far all I've seen on lurpivs is grinds on transition or Crookeds.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #671 on: November 26, 2021, 08:11:18 PM »
    The material does not necessarily have to be harder itself, but can effectively exhibit greater strength depending on casting method. I've posted some shit below, but rheocasting should allow for a tighter molecular structure with very high pressure resistance from the pressed-in axles and likely from impact. Also if it does lead to tighter tolerances chances are the axles are pressed in at such a high force that any slip is unlikely. Plus since they aren't a single piece there isn't a risk of traditional axle slip.

Slightly technical paper:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/rheocasting
Slightly technical article: https://www.spotlightmetal.com/the-commercial-breakthrough-of-rheocasting-a-801820/

Wikipedia's benefits of rheocasting, I've bolded the parts relevant to Lurpiv trucks:

Complex parts produced net shape
Porosity free
Reduced shrinkage
Excellent mechanical performance
Pressure tightness
Tight tolerances
Thin walls
Heat treatable (T4/T5/T6)
Good surface finish[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

"Other advantages include ease of automation, consistency, production rates equal to or better than die casting rates, no air entrapment, low shrinkage rates, and uniform microstructure"

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #672 on: November 26, 2021, 11:57:10 PM »
Ok so back when these were first announced I thought that's what it meant with the two axles. I'm guessing the actual material you grind will have to be much harder than a regular truck (like the titanium theeves) so has anyone actually grinded on these yet and can give real feedback?
I remember getting to try out the titanium theeves when they came out and they didn't work for me. I mostly do nosegrind and 5-0 variations and I do them like manuals (like Chris Roberts but I'm not that good) and the theeves absolutely would not grind like that. You had to do full tail/nose down leaning way back to grind or do Crookeds.

I did all kinds of grinds on different metals, they worked perfectly. Didn't see globs of wax on my trucks after either, just metal on metal action. There is also some footage available on Instagram (search for the #lurpiv tag) and I have never seen any evidence of stick. The alloy they are using is great. Theeves are titanium, that's a different game. It's widely known they stick.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #673 on: November 27, 2021, 01:33:03 AM »

Just a quick question, are you talking about the Ti-Hanger (the $250 ones)? Because all the other ones are just aluminum hangers and it is strangely sticky. The Ti-Hanger I've had the opposite problem - they're so hard that you barely need wax on hard concrete and they'll break/crumble softer stuff until its unskateable. I still haven't quite forgiven them after they took a big chunk out of my favorite slappy curb, right in the middle of the long unbroken section :(

They do stick on a lot of metal coping and angle iron so if you were trying it on something metal that would be why haha. Im not a material scientist so I don't know what types and why, but it feels like its stuck with a magnet if you pop onto the angle iron curbs we have. Great trucks overall, they turn like a pair of thunders that went on a coke binge with a pair of aces and weigh less than one of Nora's mustache hairs but I could see the grind being a deal breaker if you primarily skate parks.

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #674 on: November 27, 2021, 01:35:06 AM »

159 coming soon?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #675 on: November 27, 2021, 03:22:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just a quick question, are you talking about the Ti-Hanger (the $250 ones)? Because all the other ones are just aluminum hangers and it is strangely sticky. The Ti-Hanger I've had the opposite problem - they're so hard that you barely need wax on hard concrete and they'll break/crumble softer stuff until its unskateable. I still haven't quite forgiven them after they took a big chunk out of my favorite slappy curb, right in the middle of the long unbroken section :(

They do stick on a lot of metal coping and angle iron so if you were trying it on something metal that would be why haha. Im not a material scientist so I don't know what types and why, but it feels like its stuck with a magnet if you pop onto the angle iron curbs we have. Great trucks overall, they turn like a pair of thunders that went on a coke binge with a pair of aces and weigh less than one of Nora's mustache hairs but I could see the grind being a deal breaker if you primarily skate parks.

Yeah the expensive all titanium hangar ones. But I got them before they came out so they've probably had multiple versions since then. They grinded ok if you fully pressed down and leaned back or did a nosegrind like it was on transition style sort of like a noseblunt but 5050, manual style grinds and Smith's just wouldn't work for us. Yeah we figured they were too hard for metal ledges you'd maybe grind a foot max on pretty much perfect steel coping ledges.
Yeah I liked the turn and how light they were I ended up putting them on some zero "80s" shape with big wheels that I'd basically just skate transition with or as a cruiser and they were fine for that.

mbam003

« Reply #676 on: November 27, 2021, 05:27:31 AM »
Just to confirm the results of the other guy that already did this, I measured the wheelbase as accurately as I could and got +2.91. If you want to nitpick about the trucks, I would forget about the metal, because that is fine. Instead you can think about those 0.09 inches that Indys and AF-1s sit further out. Surely you won't be able to pop at all with such a rig ;D

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #677 on: November 27, 2021, 07:14:39 AM »
    The material does not necessarily have to be harder itself, but can effectively exhibit greater strength depending on casting method. I've posted some shit below, but rheocasting should allow for a tighter molecular structure with very high pressure resistance from the pressed-in axles and likely from impact. Also if it does lead to tighter tolerances chances are the axles are pressed in at such a high force that any slip is unlikely. Plus since they aren't a single piece there isn't a risk of traditional axle slip.

Slightly technical paper:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/rheocasting
Slightly technical article: https://www.spotlightmetal.com/the-commercial-breakthrough-of-rheocasting-a-801820/

Wikipedia's benefits of rheocasting, I've bolded the parts relevant to Lurpiv trucks:

Complex parts produced net shape
Porosity free
Reduced shrinkage
Excellent mechanical performance
Pressure tightness
Tight tolerances
Thin walls
Heat treatable (T4/T5/T6)
Good surface finish[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

"Other advantages include ease of automation, consistency, production rates equal to or better than die casting rates, no air entrapment, low shrinkage rates, and uniform microstructure"

See, now this is what I find interesting, and raises some questions as to what is aesthetic vs. due to the manufacturing process vs. improvement:
Is the shape dictated by the rheocasting or an aesthetic decision made possible by the process?  I don't give a crap about the T hanger look and wonder how light/strong something with a more standard braced V design would be.
Is the 2 piece axle thing for strength, or weight or...? 
And if you're like me and get a huge heelside groove, are you gonna hit that fat part of the axle too soon?
The kingpin/baseplate design is the most interesting feature, I think.  In the x-ray pix, it looks like there are ample threads past the nut - enough that it looks like the plate may be extra thick to accommodate them.  Is the KP an off-the-shelf shoulder bolt? Seems possible that using an existing part and putting a little extra material in the baseplate might make $ sense.

Mostly, the improvement to "because we can" ratio on these trucks is too uncertain for my pea sized brain to grasp.  The T hanger design, the most noticeable outward characteristic & having no visible advantage, coming relatively soon after ace's (a another atavistic T'er) massive upselling of really standard truck makes me a skeptic.  Of course, they're not making a size I ride yet and I'm prolly not the target market anyway. 

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #678 on: November 27, 2021, 07:27:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah, I did, but I've got no idea, really. In a normal truck, much of the strength is provided by the steel axle going the entire length across two ends, along with a truss designed into the hanger. The lack of a truss (and probably some lower-quality material) is my guess why Ace Trucks (including my own Classics) bend so often and easily.

This truck is even more extreme than an Ace, with more or less no truss whatsoever, and no steel axle for strength. My guess is that they believe this casting process is strong and precise enough that you don't need the strength of an entire steel axle or the truss across the length of the truck. It needs to be done well, but I suppose it's possible with a strong enough casting process.

Of course, the process itself was not certainly not engineered to have ~25% or more of the material ground away on concrete, so as the saying goes, "in the real world, all things are made of rubber". Ultimately with something so new we will have to see what happens after people drop them repeatedly down 20 stairs and grind to where the axle is supposed to be.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 07:35:59 AM by manysnakes »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LebowskisRug

« Reply #679 on: November 27, 2021, 08:05:59 AM »
My guess, or maybe hope, is that if they invested in rheocasting and large scale automation with a novel axle system that they have an engineer that was able to some relatively basic FEA to simulate the stresses of a ground down truck.

The shape of the hanger is likely a win-win. By looking that unique it’s obvious when someone is riding them whereas Indy and Ace often look super similar in footage as do Royal and Thunder. The Internet freaked when Kader rode a pair for a week, which was free publicity.

What I don’t get is why Indy didn’t use a similar kingpin on the Mids. It looks much lower profile and I don’t think anyone is seeking out the Allen hole in the Indy kingpin.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #680 on: November 27, 2021, 09:14:34 AM »
You can even test a ground down truck fairly easy. It’s not like you need to wear the trucks for months to see the results. Grind it down with a angle grinder and then do some stress/tension tests to see how far you can take it. Should give you a good representation of how in performs after being ground down.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #681 on: November 27, 2021, 09:26:26 AM »
In all my truck madness I'm still not in a rush to buy these. Maybe if they were available in the USA I would, but I'll never order something from overseas. Too long of transit, too many variables for something to go wrong.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #682 on: November 27, 2021, 10:40:15 AM »
Now that we got the wheelbase measurements, who’s got the bushing dimensions? I’m very intrigued by these, especially if the 8.75” version is coming but I’m worried about the stability many ppl have reported. I like to be able to turn easily while pushing. For that classic Aces are by far the best for me and I really like that. Ace AF1s are still alright for that too but not as good as classics. I’m wondering if I could get the Lurpivs to my liking in that regard, maybe with changing bushings.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #683 on: November 27, 2021, 12:37:08 PM »
Anyone slappied them already?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

IpathCats

« Reply #684 on: November 27, 2021, 02:09:48 PM »
Anyone slappied them already?

They grind great on concrete. One is squeaking pretty had though, hope the pivot cup is going bad. Still feels great. Loving these more every time I skate.

IpathCats

« Reply #685 on: November 27, 2021, 02:11:18 PM »
Now that we got the wheelbase measurements, who’s got the bushing dimensions? I’m very intrigued by these, especially if the 8.75” version is coming but I’m worried about the stability many ppl have reported. I like to be able to turn easily while pushing. For that classic Aces are by far the best for me and I really like that. Ace AF1s are still alright for that too but not as good as classics. I’m wondering if I could get the Lurpivs to my liking in that regard, maybe with changing bushings.

If you throw some white Indy Conicals in there I'm sure you will have no problem turning easily.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #686 on: November 27, 2021, 10:47:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you throw some white Indy Conicals in there I'm sure you will have no problem turning easily.

Sure, but have so little rebound that you’re just constantly turning with them. I’d also like to keep the stock geometry. That’s why I was asking about the bushing dimensions.  :)

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #687 on: November 28, 2021, 04:12:43 AM »
That‘s it I pulled the trigger on the 149s and ordered a pile of kids hoodies for my godson and nephews on top.  They will love that wee robot  8)
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #688 on: November 28, 2021, 04:30:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Sure, but have so little rebound that you’re just constantly turning with them. I’d also like to keep the stock geometry. That’s why I was asking about the bushing dimensions.  :)

Did my best, but I don't have calipers. Got the top as 12mm and the bottom as 14mm. Someone should double check me though.

mbam003

« Reply #689 on: November 28, 2021, 08:21:09 AM »
I would recommend to tighten the kingpin with a 13mm tool. A normal skate tool will do the job if you're going to be barely touching the kingpin, but using it in the long run will surely damage the bolt head. If you decide to run them stock, you might want to double check the tightness level, because I suspect mine came with different tightness levels. As for the axle nuts, I stashed the Lurpiv ones  altogether and I'm running some standard axle nuts with 1 speed ring on the outside for my convenience.