Author Topic: Some Primitive pros make even 100k at year.  (Read 12140 times)

iknowisuck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Re: Some Primitive pros make even 100k at year.
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2021, 08:31:01 PM »
pay schoolteachers 100k

the way this society distributes equity is so fucked

schoolteachers can get paid $100k when they get a collab with dragonball
Jokes on clothing < cutting off your foreskin with a chainsaw

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2021, 09:00:50 PM »
lots of non sk8rs wear primitive and its not overpriced like streetwear brands. plus they sell their stuff at the mall. not trying to throw shade just saying

turd fergusion

• Rep: -6
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2021, 09:08:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Is 100k even that much?

I think it’s great they make that much. It also shows that Paul is a great guy and sharing the wealth.
[close]

Maybe I should rephrase that. Is 100k that much for a primitive rider. I’m well aware that 100k is a great living but I think it’s right for that tier of talent. Primitive is the best company to ride for is think from a financial standpoint.

lmao slap is hilarious.

linzrobertson

• Rep: -42
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2021, 09:14:03 PM »
Don’t be mad at them, be mad at the nigga negotiating your deals.

This is good. This is real good. 😅

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2021, 09:23:31 PM »
Primitive has tiers for their team regarding salaries. Don't know the specifics of who's on what tier, but 100k is most likely near the top. If it's a Euro pro, he must mean Marek.

swanronson

• Rep: -27
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2021, 11:19:09 PM »
Primitive makes bank from clothing. Just like DGK a few years back. 100k is year seems reasonable. Kids love that naruto stuff. If you can get 100k off a board sponsor and get one more big sponsor like shoes or drinks, then you’re good.

Keelan was making 120k in 2014 just off kayo

Turns out his name isn’t worth 10k…

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2021, 11:36:05 PM »
pay schoolteachers 100k

My sister in law gets paid over a 100K as a school teacher. She currently rents a 400 square foot studio in San Francisco and drives a used Hyundai.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2021, 12:13:19 AM »
Primitive has tiers for their team regarding salaries. Don't know the specifics of who's on what tier, but 100k is most likely near the top. If it's a Euro pro, he must mean Marek.

100k may seem like a lot, but the tax man and rent takes a huge chunk of that out too, so they could be decidedly middle class for the amount of punishment they put their body through and how short most careers are.

Similar situation to MMA fighters. 50k Fight of the Night bonus may seem like a lot, but a lot of the low-mid tier guys are getting $10-20k to turn up, another $10k-20 if they win. They are listed as contractors so no healthcare coverage, training costs, rehab and nutrition comes out of pocket. If they're lucky they can fight multiple times a year, but it's likely they would have racked up injuries during training or during the fight. All in, they are probably making just above minimum wage to put their body through hell and a lifetime of brain injury for a very short career making pittance.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

nevrwasben

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2021, 12:28:34 AM »
pay schoolteachers 100k

Where the Gipper at now??
People finally got his back…

Powdered Toast Man!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • (aka mex.ceferino)
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2021, 12:30:13 AM »
What even is 100k these days

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

swanronson

• Rep: -27
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2021, 02:33:55 AM »

It has to be JB. No way Marek brings in a 100k euros.

PlugSkullcandy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2021, 05:29:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don’t know if JB makes 100k from Primitive but I wish he gets a fair amount of money tho.

That said I am questioning myself how technically European riders (especially French) get paid by American companies for example. I know shoe companies got their European versions (like Nike in the Netherlands) so it’s probably easier with taxes and shit within the European Union system. Do the skateboarders get paid as freelancers ? Do they have companies, send invoices to Primitive, and then pay themselves a salary ? Do they get paid via the distributor ? In France being an employee guarantees you social security (health or unemployment benefits if you lose your job) so it’s better than being a freelancer.

As a freelancer I worked with people in the US, and here in France it’s was complicated with the VAT % to apply etc. The work system is very coded. It may be strange to the authorities that you get a 100k salary per year from a US company but living in Lyon. Maybe there is a special system for sports people ?

If someone knows I am curious how all of this works. Any « international extreme sports finance » specialized accountant on Slap ?

veritas

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2021, 06:19:24 AM »
I see complete randoms of all ages wearing Primitive gear in public frequently (on the east coast) - high school kids through like 60 year old white men or other people who seem to have no clear affiliation to skating. They sell a shit ton of clothes.

somefucker

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2021, 06:31:12 AM »
It's like the creativity of the brand aswell, you can imagine how much a board co would make with the biggest video of the year and limited competition
Then when you cross it with exclusivity its greater, there's brands I rarely see

Yeah, collabing with trendy/nostalgic anime is mad creative. Almost as ground breaking as their vapor wave tumblr team graphics.

Not like they give a rat's ass their demographic is soundcloud rap based trendicapped weeb sad boy stoners. Insert more trigger words here.

thebacker

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2021, 07:12:06 AM »
Who?

christ0v

• Rep: 15
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2021, 08:13:57 AM »
In Europe , primitive was, probably is still being sold on Zalando which is I e of the biggest clothes retailers around here.
They definitely are one of the biggest players in the skateboarding world and paying 100k doesn’t sound that unrealistic. And 100k in Europe isn’t that bad at all. Yes, you won’t be making that your whole life and the career window is quite short , but if you play your cards right you might live comfortably after skating. Look at Pfanne for example

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2021, 09:34:11 AM »
I'm always amazed by how some posters don't think X amount of money for a skateboarder is possible.

Let's just break it down from a brand perspective here (not the brand mentioned in the thread, but ANY big board company right now)

We're talking about niche global brands.

This brand in particular has 1.5 million Instagram followers. A few retail stores. Boards are available in shops from Tokyo to Toronto. On top of that, eCommerce is likely a huge amount of the brand's biz.

But board companies aren't just "board" companies. They sell a large number of soft goods. Clothing probably accounts for most of their profits (margin-wise). Mark up on soft goods (backpacks to baseball caps to beanies) is huge.

From this point on, it's pure speculation on my part.

But let's just imagine this brand is doing 10,000,000 USD in total revenue per year.

Most marketing-driven businesses spend (or reinvest) about 10-15% of their revenue into marketing.

Skateboarding is the definition of a marketing-driven biz. And the primary vehicle for skate marketing is the skaters themselves.

10% of 10,000,000 USD is 1,000,000 USD.

Let's say a team is made up of 8 to 15 skaters. A 100,000 USD salary isn't out of the question. If the team has 10 pro skaters and each skater is paid the same, they're each making that amount.

But skateboarding is a meritocracy. Each skater has a different worth depending on their skill and reach (marketability).

So board brand salaries above that aren't out of the question.

Throughout history on this message board, we've heard stories of pros making huge amounts off board and shoe royalties. Royalties are a factor too.

But this is just an overview of how a brand this size could spend its money on its biggest marketing tools (skaters themselves). And how those pieces of pies could be divided up.
Who said it isn’t possible? It’s definitely been possible in the past, I’m skeptical that Primitive is paying people that much now. Especially when the basis for saying they do is some rando making a claim on the internet and you making assumptions about how profitable this company is and how much it decides to pay people.

k-nutz

• Rep: 49
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2021, 09:53:38 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm always amazed by how some posters don't think X amount of money for a skateboarder is possible.

Let's just break it down from a brand perspective here (not the brand mentioned in the thread, but ANY big board company right now)

This brand in particular has 1.5 million Instagram followers. A few retail stores. Boards are available in shops from Tokyo to Toronto. On top of that, eCommerce is likely a huge amount of the brand's biz.

But board companies aren't just "board" companies. They sell a large number of soft goods. Clothing probably accounts for most of their profits (margin-wise). Mark up on soft goods (backpacks to baseball caps to beanies) is huge.

But let's just imagine this brand is doing 10,000,000 USD in total revenue per year.

Most marketing-driven businesses spend (or reinvest) about 10-15% of their revenue into marketing.

Skateboarding is the definition of a marketing-driven biz. And the primary vehicle for skate marketing is the skaters themselves.

Let's say a team is made up of 8 to 15 skaters. A 100,000 USD salary isn't out of the question. If the team has 10 pro skaters and each skater is paid the same, they're each making that amount.

But skateboarding is a meritocracy. Each skater has a different worth depending on their skill and reach (marketability).

Throughout history on this message board, we've heard stories of pros making huge amounts off board and shoe royalties. Royalties are a factor too.

But this is just an overview of how a brand this size could spend its money on its biggest marketing tools (skaters themselves). And how those pieces of pies could be divided up.
[close]
Who said it isn’t possible? It’s definitely been possible in the past, I’m skeptical that Primitive is paying people that much now. Especially when the basis for saying they do is some rando making a claim on the internet and you making assumptions about how profitable this company is and how much it decides to pay people.

People (on here) were saying that primitive was broke, and then the next day they released the video of their new TF.  I don't think anybody around here knows at all.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2021, 10:34:03 AM »
honestly i used to think 100k was a lot but it really aint shit. but its what i am aiming to make right now and im still decentyl short. and honestly have no clue how id even make more money at this point., but for 1 person making it with no partner they can afford a decent condo or townhouse, defiintely nothing high end. but then you are forgetting the biggest piece of the puzzle. the shittiest part of being a pro skater is as your career ages, you actually make LESS and LESS money which fucking SUCKS dude. what other job is like that? i honestly cant think of a job that isnt like being a prostitute where you actually make LESS money as you get more experienced :s  you are so fucked after you retire you have no skills you have to hope one of the homeys in the industry hooks it up. but you must know its not going to be good money. you need to start saving from day 1 as a pro its wild how all these guys bought cars and stuff with absolutely zero thought towards thier spiraling downward income. if you kooked it even once along the way you are pretty fucked you better pack it up and start your apprenticeship in your 30s / 40s
ONTARIO CANADA

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2021, 10:34:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

People (on here) were saying that primitive was broke, and then the next day they released the video of their new TF.  I don't think anybody around here knows at all.

slap posters will talk about how they never see anyone riding/wearing "X" brand, but also be in their late 30s, likes to skate curbs alone, hate malls, riding the same boards for 10 years, etc. Most of us don't know shit.

MeanestCleanestPenis

• Rep: 40
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2021, 10:58:42 AM »

This has got to be it, can easily imagine Miles or Tiago getting 100k but maybe not someone like Wade, although he is great!

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2021, 11:01:41 AM »
honestly i used to think 100k was a lot but it really aint shit. but its what i am aiming to make right now and im still decentyl short. and honestly have no clue how id even make more money at this point., but for 1 person making it with no partner they can afford a decent condo or townhouse, defiintely nothing high end. but then you are forgetting the biggest piece of the puzzle. the shittiest part of being a pro skater is as your career ages, you actually make LESS and LESS money which fucking SUCKS dude. what other job is like that? i honestly cant think of a job that isnt like being a prostitute where you actually make LESS money as you get more experienced :s  you are so fucked after you retire you have no skills you have to hope one of the homeys in the industry hooks it up. but you must know its not going to be good money. you need to start saving from day 1 as a pro its wild how all these guys bought cars and stuff with absolutely zero thought towards thier spiraling downward income. if you kooked it even once along the way you are pretty fucked you better pack it up and start your apprenticeship in your 30s / 40s

I agree with your point, but I’d say that the diminishing contracts/compensation occurs with nearly any professional sport/movement career. Football, ballet, running, they’ve all got a peak age after which you start to decline.

After that you better hope you can get a job coaching, doing analysis, or some other work within the industry or that you saved up enough cash during your profitable years.

MeanestCleanestPenis

• Rep: 40
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2021, 11:05:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I don’t know if JB makes 100k from Primitive but I wish he gets a fair amount of money tho.

That said I am questioning myself how technically European riders (especially French) get paid by American companies for example. I know shoe companies got their European versions (like Nike in the Netherlands) so it’s probably easier with taxes and shit within the European Union system. Do the skateboarders get paid as freelancers ? Do they have companies, send invoices to Primitive, and then pay themselves a salary ? Do they get paid via the distributor ? In France being an employee guarantees you social security (health or unemployment benefits if you lose your job) so it’s better than being a freelancer.

As a freelancer I worked with people in the US, and here in France it’s was complicated with the VAT % to apply etc. The work system is very coded. It may be strange to the authorities that you get a 100k salary per year from a US company but living in Lyon. Maybe there is a special system for sports people ?

If someone knows I am curious how all of this works. Any « international extreme sports finance » specialized accountant on Slap ?

In the UK, if you are resident, you'll nearly always pay tax on foreign income. Exception is if your domicle, which is kind of permanent home is abroad. I imagine most skaters would pay tax on the foreign income through self assessment which is basically a tax return.

IpathCats

« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2021, 11:11:28 AM »
100k aint shit these days. The perception of a "6 figure income" being enough to live a luxurious life is an outdated idea given to us by our parents, especially if you live near any major city. 100k is lower middle class in those areas.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2021, 11:12:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I agree with your point, but I’d say that the diminishing contracts/compensation occurs with nearly any professional sport/movement career. Football, ballet, running, they’ve all got a peak age after which you start to decline.

After that you better hope you can get a job coaching, doing analysis, or some other work within the industry or that you saved up enough cash during your profitable years.

Fucken yep!
All the more reason to say fuck it and get the energy drink sponsor. (Especially if you aren't American) may as well get as much money as possible and take the health care too. I know a lot of people don't think skaters should be set up for life but they should at least not be too disadvantaged when the industry is done with them

cky enthusiast

« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2021, 11:14:16 AM »
100k aint shit these days. The perception of a "6 figure income" being enough to live a luxurious life is an outdated idea given to us by our parents, especially if you live near any major city. 100k is lower middle class in those areas.

what major city do you live near

mockyovelli

• Rep: -4
  • Can't CRTL-V! You can cut me, but cant paste me.
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2021, 11:19:52 AM »
pay schoolteachers 100k

School teachers have about 4 months off a year. All holidays. And don’t even work a full day. For how much they work, they make a lot

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2021, 11:29:12 AM »
Expand Quote
pay schoolteachers 100k

[close]

School teachers have about 4 months off a year. All holidays. And don’t even work a full day. For how much they work, they make a lot
Nah teachers make fuck all. And they generally do a lot of work preparing classes, marking work and dealing with so much other bullshit. Half the time the end up being free social workers.
Don't really see why skaters and teachers pay should be compared tho the money's not coming from the same place.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2021, 11:30:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I definitely don’t, but no one seems to be talking about ten grand board royalty checks anymore so I’m skeptical

fongool

• Rep: 94
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2021, 11:38:54 AM »
this is some kind of bizarro world thread

anyone making $100k/year just from their board sponsor is in the top 1% of pro earners