Author Topic: New royal trucks  (Read 69268 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: New royal trucks
« Reply #750 on: July 25, 2022, 08:51:53 AM »
I remember that Xen and other people have mentioned that the indy conical bushings have a bit taller bottom bushing than their barrell bushings. A friend told me he replaced the stock royals with  blue indy conical and it felt better but still needs a bit more stability, so i guess the black 94 conical would be great for the summer and  for the winter the royals stock bushings will be super. I was thinking to get the black indy concials but now i bought 2nd hand thunders 147 and currently enjoying them.

@CrustyCurbs

Yep, indy conical aftermarkets (all aftermarket indys) are taller than [newer] stock indy bushings. The recent 96a aftermarkets I picked up are still the 'old' stock height.

The indy bottoms became lower when they switched manufacturing to China.

EDIT: just double checked. royals bottoms = Indy aftermarket bottoms (barrel or conical).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 11:26:11 AM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #751 on: July 25, 2022, 10:02:45 AM »
I can confirm the Indy bushing height diff. It ain't much, but it's 1mm, which is like half a turn or more of the kingpin nut. I couldn't figure out why one set of Indy felt better despite being looser than the other. That set was from the USA and had stock bushings in, which were 1mm higher than the new stock bushings.

CrustyCurbs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #752 on: July 27, 2022, 09:48:26 AM »
Thanks for the responses, just measured the royal bushings and looks like the bottom is 14mm high and the top is 11mm high, so I think both the top and bottom are taller than indy.

That said I've temporarily put some stock indies in and the turn is fine just loads of kingpin thread showing which upsets me.

Looking to buy either ace or krux bushings as both sound like they are taller, will report back if they work.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #753 on: July 27, 2022, 09:54:22 AM »
Get Ace standards or Hards- bottom is 14 and top is 12. Sand down the top a bit (or not, since most people have tons of threads showing on their Royals.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
« Reply #754 on: July 28, 2022, 02:49:41 AM »
I find crooks on these much harder than ventures. Any tips
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #755 on: July 28, 2022, 08:01:44 AM »
I find crooks on these much harder than ventures. Any tips

I have the same problem. 

LebowskisRug

« Reply #756 on: July 28, 2022, 09:38:52 AM »
I found em the same honestly. What specifically are you having problems with? Falling out? Getting into noseslides? Sticking?

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #757 on: July 28, 2022, 09:42:55 AM »
I found em the same honestly. What specifically are you having problems with? Falling out? Getting into noseslides? Sticking?

My issue is falling out.  Even with a wider Royal (149) versus Venture (5.2 low or 5.6)

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
« Reply #758 on: July 28, 2022, 01:07:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My issue is falling out.  Even with a wider Royal (149) versus Venture (5.2 low or 5.6)

Yep me too. Falling out. And just overall feeling less locked in/secure
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 259
« Reply #759 on: July 28, 2022, 01:48:53 PM »
on coping I felt like i was sliding all over the place

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #760 on: July 28, 2022, 01:52:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yep me too. Falling out. And just overall feeling less locked in/secure

Had this issue big time until I formed the crook groove and got used to where the weight needed to be to pinch. Still never felt as secure as a Thunder or Venture though and still occasionally prone to slip out or into noseslide. In my experience longer wb trucks like Venture and Thunder get into that crook position faster and easier and feel better doing the trick overall than the shorter wb variety (Indy, Ace, new Royal). You can get used to it and do the trick fine but it ain’t gonna feel the same

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #761 on: August 01, 2022, 11:44:46 PM »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #762 on: August 02, 2022, 06:50:19 AM »
I think falling out comes down to technique. What I've found with every truck I've had is they all require a different angle of approach when you pop in. I went from super locked in crooks on Indy Standard to barely getting Thunders to pinch.

With Ace or Indy the hanger articulates more so I find that the crook sits less parallel to the ledge. I have to push the grind with my front foot more and have my shoulders more parallel to the ledge. I approach the ledge at slightly more of an angle and swerve right before I pop. Also when I come off the ledge I have to use my back foot more or else my board kind rolls over.

With Thunder and Venture I am more parallel to the ledge and I don't have to push as hard with my front foot. When I pop off the ledge the truck kinda levels the board out. I just lean back and unweight the nose and I'm good.

Honestly I had no issues with Royals and crooks. The hanger articulates more than a Thunder hence the deeper carve but coming from Indy it was the same technique.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #763 on: August 02, 2022, 06:50:45 AM »
@Xen did you measure bushing height in these and/or try Ace bushings?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #764 on: August 02, 2022, 09:11:40 AM »

I tried regular classic ace bottoms and low tops, I don’t have regular ace tops around anymore (oddly). They worked great felt, like stock just with more kingpin showing than usual.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 11:36:13 AM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #765 on: August 02, 2022, 12:27:14 PM »
I still have my Royals sitting around and considered Ace Hard bushings. I've got like 2 threads showing on stock and they're still a tad loose for my liking. I ride my Thunders stock for reference. Figured lots of people like the Ace hards so they could be a good swap.

CrustyCurbs

• Rep: 0
« Reply #766 on: August 02, 2022, 01:35:52 PM »
Just a bit of feedback on bushings, I brought some ace hards. The boardside ace bushings is exactly the same height as the stock royal but the roadside ace bushing is just a little taller than the royal.

You can easily get the ace bushings on but I found it was too far in the other direction, with ace hard bushings and the kingpin nut flush the trucks were too tight for my liking.

What I'm now running is the ace hard board side and the royal stock bushings road side, kingpin nut flush.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #767 on: August 02, 2022, 03:46:52 PM »
I still ride mine stock, haven't found anything better; full turn from stock tightness and I'm good to go.

Not fond of blue bushing color tho.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #768 on: August 10, 2022, 09:38:37 PM »
Anyone else get the ultralights and think they may be too light?  I've tried them on a few decks now, and just can't seem to dial in my flip tricks.  The pop is great, and the bushings are amazing.  May have to try them on a longer wheelbase next to see how that goes.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #769 on: August 10, 2022, 09:59:56 PM »
Anyone else get the ultralights and think they may be too light?  I've tried them on a few decks now, and just can't seem to dial in my flip tricks.  The pop is great, and the bushings are amazing.  May have to try them on a longer wheelbase next to see how that goes.

Not me, I feel the ultralights are just right, not too heavy, not too light; I believe they are on par with [standard] Thunder Team editions. I did find them to be a better fit for longer WB, but I think that's just my preference in general.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #770 on: August 11, 2022, 12:57:46 AM »

Honestly, I think a regular set of AF1 bushings is the move if you want a little more firmness out of these new Royals. Ace bottom bushings are tall just like the stock Royals, so the geometry works, and the extra mm on the Ace top allows you to put a little more tension on the bushings. You get that spongy control and deep turn that Ace have, but more rebound and a firmer ride. I think the hard bushings would be too stiff in these.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #771 on: August 11, 2022, 03:26:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not me, I feel the ultralights are just right, not too heavy, not too light; I believe they are on par with [standard] Thunder Team editions. I did find them to be a better fit for longer WB, but I think that's just my preference in general.

Depends on the deck size and what you're used to. On 139 / 144 I'd ride the standard, but I recently sized up to 8.5 so I'd go 149 UL to get the weight down a bit. Feeling the heft on 5.8 TI on the wider setup.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #772 on: August 11, 2022, 02:12:38 PM »
I go hollow/ti/whatever the fuck 149 no matter what (thunders too); the royals standards are really light tho. each size royal is within pissing distance of comparable Indy ti sizing. That’s pretty impressive.

I’ve the 144 ultra lights (and IKP) and feel they are the best weight 8.25 truck, right on par with thunder team hollows.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #773 on: August 11, 2022, 03:19:10 PM »
Anyone try Riptide bushings in the Royals yet? What would be the best shape/size/formula for them? So many fucking options on their site it's overwhelming

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #774 on: August 21, 2022, 09:43:18 AM »
After the madness hit me again I decided to revisit royals and give them a fair shot.
I’m really liking them this go around. But I have a few questions. I’m coming off thunders with 92a Indy conicals bushings. So I’m trying to adjust for tricks but the royals feel less stable at center. If I put some Indy conical 92a bushings in the royals am I gonna lose the turn royals have? Cause I enjoy the turn and I’ll just chin up with current bushings if the Indy conicals will take that away

It’s been nice having the loose surfy kinda turn royals have also nose slides slide so much better on the royals it’s dumb. I don’t have to go as fast and slide further than I did when in the thunders. So the slide is for me is better on royals less effort and a better result. Pop is better on Ollie’s. Kickflips are less consistent on royals but the ones I land look or at least feel better cause they feel popped higher.
Felt good grinding skatepark coping but crusty ledges I was sticking. But that could also be because the ledges was kinda dry I think wax evaporated or something I. The heat cause they would grind then just stop.

Also I’m not good at crooks. But I tried a few and after adjusting the angle like @LebowskisRug  mentioned I seemed to be able to get them about the same as when I was on thunders which aren’t good but as good as I can get them. So I can’t fault the truck cause they was about the same after adjust the angle 

HaveFunSkateboarding

• Rep: 20
« Reply #775 on: August 21, 2022, 09:49:27 AM »
A couple weeks ago I was at the Lakai demo in Pittsburgh. I could see that Griffin and Stevie Perez were skating Royals easily, but I was shocked to see Vincent blatantly riding Indy’s. He even mentioned how good the new Royals were on the Nine Club a while back (before the officially released). He’s still listed as skating for Royal and everyone knows pros don’t always skate the trucks they’re sponsored by but for Vincent it surprised me.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #776 on: August 21, 2022, 10:37:50 AM »
After the madness hit me again I decided to revisit royals and give them a fair shot.
I’m really liking them this go around. But I have a few questions. I’m coming off thunders with 92a Indy conicals bushings. So I’m trying to adjust for tricks but the royals feel less stable at center. If I put some Indy conical 92a bushings in the royals am I gonna lose the turn royals have? Cause I enjoy the turn and I’ll just chin up with current bushings if the Indy conicals will take that away

It’s been nice having the loose surfy kinda turn royals have also nose slides slide so much better on the royals it’s dumb. I don’t have to go as fast and slide further than I did when in the thunders. So the slide is for me is better on royals less effort and a better result. Pop is better on Ollie’s. Kickflips are less consistent on royals but the ones I land look or at least feel better cause they feel popped higher.
Felt good grinding skatepark coping but crusty ledges I was sticking. But that could also be because the ledges was kinda dry I think wax evaporated or something I. The heat cause they would grind then just stop.

Also I’m not good at crooks. But I tried a few and after adjusting the angle like @LebowskisRug  mentioned I seemed to be able to get them about the same as when I was on thunders which aren’t good but as good as I can get them. So I can’t fault the truck cause they was about the same after adjust the angle 

If memory serves we don't know the duro of the royal bushings...just that they are hand poured and GG has white ones...so who knows.

Conical or barrel change how trucks feel, regardless of brand. That surfy creamy feeling you get with Indy, ACE, ML and Royal changes when you go conical; same if you change out thunder or tensors form conica to barrel. It comes down to personal preference.

Royals out of the gate are not stable, you have to tighten them, break them in and/or swap to a harder barrel. I tried bones in them and it was horrible. ACE classic bushings (low top tho) and they felt the same. Tried the royal bushings in indys and they felt really good.

Royals, after skating back on indys for a while are a bit stickier until you break them in (like any truck).

Can't hurt to try the 92a conicals. I'm probably wrong, and I doubt trucks companies really think that way, but you get a barrel or conical bushing stock for a reason.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #777 on: August 22, 2022, 03:59:54 PM »
A couple weeks ago I was at the Lakai demo in Pittsburgh. I could see that Griffin and Stevie Perez were skating Royals easily, but I was shocked to see Vincent blatantly riding Indy’s. He even mentioned how good the new Royals were on the Nine Club a while back (before the officially released). He’s still listed as skating for Royal and everyone knows pros don’t always skate the trucks they’re sponsored by but for Vincent it surprised me.

It's a demo on the other side of the country from where he lives, he probably lost his setup or something. As is the case with 90% of "pro's don't ride the trucks they're sponsored by."

LebowskisRug

« Reply #778 on: August 22, 2022, 04:06:50 PM »
VA rides them in literally all of his footage, definitely probably asked someone what the closest thing was or used a friend/teammate's word.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #779 on: August 23, 2022, 08:45:31 PM »
So I had the 144 Ultralights on a Hopps 8.25/14.25 wb for a while and could never really get used to it.  Coming from Thunders, I fugured maybe a 14.38 wb would be better.  Recently set up an April 8.25/14 wb.  I decided to give the Royals a go again, and they felt great on this deck.  Not sure why with the shorter wheelbase, but they work.  All flip tricks felt good right away.