Author Topic: New royal trucks  (Read 67125 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: New royal trucks
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2021, 07:26:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
How are people shitting on Indy for moving to China but stoked on a 20 year old China-made truck company finally making something that is actually worthy of selling?
[close]

everyone loves an underdog success story, right?
[close]

Damn skippy We do.

Craig is underdogs with their green screens, special effects, and random skate swag like alarm clocks, lighters, and buttplugs.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2021, 07:53:12 PM »
How are people shitting on Indy for moving to China but stoked on a 20 year old China-made truck company finally making something that is actually worthy of selling?

I think it was more than NHS moving production to China, my guess it had to do with rider pay as well.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2021, 09:24:19 PM »
Honestly that turn is very impressive, 348g for a 8.5 truck is seriously impressive.

Hit us with that magic wheelbase displacement number!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2021, 09:46:59 PM »
Lurpiv territory - note they were both able to get Indy ti-like weight with a different casting methods, wonder if they are using similar methods of RC.

Esquivel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2021, 03:42:43 AM »
Craig is underdogs with their green screens, special effects, and random skate swag like alarm clocks, lighters, and buttplugs.

Interesting... Can I have more details or a link for this?
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2021, 07:39:49 AM »

Some moron has to bring this up in every truck thread.

No one gives a shit. Shut up.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Srt32srt

• Rep: 1
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2021, 07:56:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Weighed all the standard raw trucks in the same size
Independent 13.4 oz
Thunder 12.9
Venture 13.2
Royal 12.3
[close]

That's a great weight for a standard, pretty impressed they could get that low. Thanks for the info.

need to weight all trucks in grams for a more precise number. i weigh all my trucks but all in grams.

Any chance you do a wheel clearance on nose/tail slides comparison? If it's better than Thunder I'll for sure cop a pair.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2021, 08:07:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Interesting... Can I have more details or a link for this?

A man of culture I see, judging by you profile pic.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FS_Overcrook

• Rep: 10
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2021, 08:30:52 AM »
I received an advance set like @144p. I currently ride ACE AF1s, but haven't set up the Royals yet. Based on holding them in my hands they feel really solid. Pivot cups and Bushings are way better and turn when I put them on the floor and applied pressure. The hanger looks similar to a Thunder rather than the older Stage 4 Royals. The metal looks pretty solid too, like it will hold up to grinds. We sold a ton of the old Stage 4 Royals at my shop and these look like a night and day difference. They apparently have been working on these trucks for about a year but supply chain delays have pushed them back so I'm sure that the team has been skating samples for some time.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2021, 08:35:15 AM »
I received an advance set like @144p. I currently ride ACE AF1s, but haven't set up the Royals yet. Based on holding them in my hands they feel really solid. Pivot cups and Bushings are way better and turn when I put them on the floor and applied pressure. The hanger looks similar to a Thunder rather than the older Stage 4 Royals. The metal looks pretty solid too, like it will hold up to grinds. We sold a ton of the old Stage 4 Royals at my shop and these look like a night and day difference. They apparently have been working on these trucks for about a year but supply chain delays have pushed them back so I'm sure that the team has been skating samples for some time.

Sweet

Ok I'm sold. Getting a pair.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2021, 12:20:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Weighed all the standard raw trucks in the same size
Independent 13.4 oz
Thunder 12.9
Venture 13.2
Royal 12.3
[close]

That's a great weight for a standard, pretty impressed they could get that low. Thanks for the info.

need to weight all trucks in grams for a more precise number. i weigh all my trucks but all in grams.

Any chance you do a wheel clearance on nose/tail slides comparison? If it's better than Thunder I'll for sure cop a pair.
[close]

FWIW the 149 Indy Hollow Mids with inverted pin (52mm) come in at 392g (13.8274oz - wth are we using oz here?), so even as a 149 standard low/52mm truck with inverted pins coming in at 348.6991oz, you are still lighter than Indys 'best' low truck offering.

Also assuming the above measurements are 149s?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2021, 12:55:04 PM »
Indy axles don’t bend so bad that their own sponsored riders (currently, as seen in the wild) skate Thunders. Griffin is obviously on Thunders and in person can confirm he rides them a lot of the time.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2021, 01:15:14 PM »
Indy axles don’t bend so bad that their own sponsored riders (currently, as seen in the wild) skate Thunders. Griffin is obviously on Thunders and in person can confirm he rides them a lot of the time.

I didn’t know he skated thunders, recently. The few times I’ve seen him in person, he was skating thunders, but this is long, long ago, before he was on Royal. Saw him on ventures, in footage, but couldn’t tell if they were 6.1s or 5.8s (I’m always surprised how hard it is for me to judge the width of setups in footage).

Anyways, you trying to sell me some indys or what?
I have a bias against indy, mostly irrational. The China indys are possibly better than the ermico ones were, but….I’d rather ride cast ventures made here. Indys are decent all around, but from a purely skate perspective I am always wanting something a little different, in several areas. From a company image standpoint….I mean fuck, no.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2021, 03:43:11 PM »
Been on the fence about getting some 149 thunder standards for my slappy board, picked up a set of these instead.

Probably too much to hope for...indy/ace/ML'ish turn, thunder pop, 52mm height, decent weight, inverted pin...maybe a WB between thunder and indy?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 03:58:05 PM by Xen »

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2021, 04:02:13 PM »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2021, 04:46:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I didn’t know he skated thunders, recently. The few times I’ve seen him in person, he was skating thunders, but this is long, long ago, before he was on Royal. Saw him on ventures, in footage, but couldn’t tell if they were 6.1s or 5.8s (I’m always surprised how hard it is for me to judge the width of setups in footage).

Anyways, you trying to sell me some indys or what?
I have a bias against indy, mostly irrational. The China indys are possibly better than the ermico ones were, but….I’d rather ride cast ventures made here. Indys are decent all around, but from a purely skate perspective I am always wanting something a little different, in several areas. From a company image standpoint….I mean fuck, no.

He skates 8.5 width decks and trucks, only puts on Royals if he has to shoot a photo. I’m not actually sure if he’s ridden the new ones. It would be weird that Jeron hasn’t if he has simply because Jeron is a Crail OG.

No worries on having preferences, I just found it amusing that people were so fervent about being anti-Indy then in this thread seemed to lose their Ermico devotion.

According to someone at NHS, Ermico had way more QC issues than people realize. A lot of the slipped axle issues, bad finishing, and kingpins that would come loose were a result of this and they often couldn’t actually produce at the scale Indy requested. Contrary to what people think Ermico isn’t just a bunch of skaters making trucks it’s a foundry. It didn’t make sense from a business perspective to keep using them.

Honestly I hope these Royals are better than those of old just because I’d rather see there be more high quality options for those that want them be it Royal, Tensor, Film, Indy, whatever.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2021, 05:33:39 PM »
Had one of my best sessions in a while today on Indy 149ti...I've realized low 149s/14.3x wheelbase is still my shit; no surprise tho as that's all I skated in my 'prime' but on 8.3s but as I got older I forced myself to downsize to 8.25+144/148 trucks as some tricks became harder with these tired ass legs. 

I'm hoping the royals turn decently, 52mm is the perfect height truck for me (Ace Classics). I'm worried about wheelbite tho.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2021, 07:00:47 PM »
Damn, they do an 8.75" axle truck!

What the hell Ace?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2021, 07:08:28 PM »
Damn, they do an 8.75" axle truck!

What the hell Ace?

Funny, I was JUST thinking about that as I was cooking, flashed to seeing it as an option, 52mm 8.75 truck...if the 149s work out I'll bump to 8.75 for my big boy board.

Plenty of great 8.75 options out there tho: ML, 151s, 159s, etc.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2021, 07:17:27 PM »
Seems pretty interesting. It's nice that the photos show that they actually have kingpin clearance now.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2021, 09:40:10 PM »
I popped out my kingpins and put some krux downlow ones in. Feeling good.

I Can't Think

• Rep: 31
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2021, 10:17:14 PM »

I'm guessing the process was painless if you already had the inverted version of the trucks? Not gonna lie I wanna see a photo. Krux hollow downlows with these sound like slaps wet dream, especially if there's no conversion mod fuckery

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2021, 10:48:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm guessing the process was painless if you already had the inverted version of the trucks? Not gonna lie I wanna see a photo. Krux hollow downlows with these sound like slaps wet dream, especially if there's no conversion mod fuckery

There is still the issue of the krux top washer not fitting inside the bushing hole tho ;) Not that you can shave out a larger hole (which I've done). I'm sitting on a pair and will put them in for sure.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 10:55:35 PM by Xen »

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2021, 05:20:20 AM »
I'll try these if they're snappy like Ace and offer a better turn than Indy for sure. If the inverted ones have the shaft nut design in the baseplate I can just put my titanium kingpin bolt things in there and be good to go.

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2021, 07:02:47 AM »
I know they make a downlow version but they didn’t send me those. These were much tougher to pop out vs a standard cast baseplate.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2021, 07:43:09 AM »
Had one of my best sessions in a while today on Indy 149ti...I've realized low 149s/14.3x wheelbase is still my shit; no surprise tho as that's all I skated in my 'prime' but on 8.3s but as I got older I forced myself to downsize to 8.25+144/148 trucks as some tricks became harder with these tired ass legs. 

I'm hoping the royals turn decently, 52mm is the perfect height truck for me (Ace Classics). I'm worried about wheelbite tho.

IIRC you tried and didn’t like Mids right? If not try the hollows. The weight doesn’t seem to phase me one bit and I normally skated forged hollows or lighter options. I run 52’s with 144’s and wheelbite isn’t an issue.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2021, 08:00:26 AM »
Someone one should have skated them by now surely?

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2021, 08:13:30 AM »
I skated them a few times now and posted a video a few pages back of the turn.
I’m a fan. Great turn and in the realm of Indy/ace.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2021, 08:24:34 AM »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2021, 11:54:00 AM »
I know they make a downlow version but they didn’t send me those. These were much tougher to pop out vs a standard cast baseplate.

Looks almost like a Venture baseplate.

Really rough casting on these, does it say what alloy they use?