Author Topic: New royal trucks  (Read 69652 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1934
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: New royal trucks
« Reply #300 on: December 06, 2021, 08:31:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Oh you motherfuckers.

I was doing sooo good too.
[close]

What have you been staying on?
I’ve been all venture. And it’s gonna stay that way.

But I could try these.
Maybe.

Previous few pages laid out some solid arguments for the new Royal trucks - comparable to a Thunder Std in weight, turns like an Indy and pinches like a Thunder. I would like a slightly lower trucks but at 52mm it ain't too bad.

The regular version is the same price a Thunder / Indy STD, give it a few more days and you'll be able to pick one up for Xmas on discount. It was a gift from yourself, to yourself, for being to good for sticking to just 1 pair of trucks for so long!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FatGuy92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #301 on: December 06, 2021, 03:28:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fuck, I recently bought a pair thinking they were the new ones, but apparently they have black bushings so they're the crappy old ones.

I'll still try to skate them and see how they feel. I switched up the pivot cups and the bushings, so maybe that'll make a difference.
[close]

The black ones have black bushings I think. Do the baseplates say royal on both sides, or do they have two parallel lines on one side?
[close]

Two parallel lines on one side. Looks like the new ones say royal on both sides. Man, this is the problem with online shopping, you don’t know exactly what you’re getting all the time. Ah well
[close]

For what it's worth, I'm one of the few that liked the old version (still haven't tried the new ones). If you want a low, surfy truck, they're great. Never had a problem with them. They feel great on a DLX 8.06 (or something else with a 14.38-14.5 WB). The only reason I retired mine is cus I started skating shorter boards and couldn't find one with a WB that paired well with them.
[close]

Thanks! Yeah, I'll try them out. I usually ride shorter wheelbases but it's not the end of the world, I just got sparked off reading the comments in this thread. If I don't like them, there's always some organizations here that are looking for spare parts for kids' completes, so it's never a total loss.

For shits and giggles I put them on my current 8.18 chocolate deck with a 14" WB and it actually feels pretty nice. Pushed around the backyard during a break from work and pop shuvs, 180s, and simple grinds all came pretty fast despite this being a pretty short WB compared to what I've been skating (slightly under 17" total, I'm used to 17.25-17.38ish).

Give them a shot and keep an open mind. They're not by any means the best trucks or even my favorite trucks, but I'm happy with them and they fill a gap that isn't covered by other trucks (low, surfy, responsive).

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #302 on: December 06, 2021, 04:51:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Oh you motherfuckers.

I was doing sooo good too.
[close]

What have you been staying on?
I’ve been all venture. And it’s gonna stay that way.

But I could try these.
Maybe.
[close]

Previous few pages laid out some solid arguments for the new Royal trucks - comparable to a Thunder Std in weight, turns like an Indy and pinches like a Thunder. I would like a slightly lower trucks but at 52mm it ain't too bad.

The regular version is the same price a Thunder / Indy STD, give it a few more days and you'll be able to pick one up for Xmas on discount. It was a gift from yourself, to yourself, for being to good for sticking to just 1 pair of trucks for so long!

I should have bit on the BF deals but now I must wait for the XMas sales; contemplating 8.75"s for a curb board since 8.5" seems to be my goto popsicle board for now.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 07:11:17 AM by Xen »

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #303 on: December 06, 2021, 06:17:08 PM »
Fuck, I am getting to the axle on my ventures and they are flaking…..looks like I’m getting a pair of royals
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #304 on: December 07, 2021, 12:16:02 AM »
Mine just landed but I'm only going to be able to skate them this weekend. Got the IKP version because I'm worth it.

139 IKP - 347g
144 IKP - 354g
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

timv

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #305 on: December 07, 2021, 03:11:00 AM »
I got 149 ikp
I weighed them at 360 grams

Mine just landed but I'm only going to be able to skate them this weekend. Got the IKP version because I'm worth it.

139 IKP - 347g
144 IKP - 354g

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #306 on: December 07, 2021, 08:22:55 AM »
Fuck, I am getting to the axle on my ventures and they are flaking…..looks like I’m getting a pair of royals
Get a pair of the doom Lucien Clark ventures instead.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #307 on: December 07, 2021, 01:09:43 PM »
If someone buys these and sends them to me, I will ride them.

AxelSlip

• Rep: 2
« Reply #308 on: December 07, 2021, 01:26:33 PM »
If someone buys these and sends them to me, I will ride them.
Bro how about you ask Santa for $40 and get 'em yourself?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #309 on: December 07, 2021, 01:33:05 PM »
Have you read through this thread?

AxelSlip

« Reply #310 on: December 07, 2021, 01:39:15 PM »

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #311 on: December 07, 2021, 01:58:30 PM »
Yeah and if anyone wants to buy me some Venture, send them to me and I will ride them
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

LebowskisRug

« Reply #312 on: December 07, 2021, 02:07:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yes

Was the schoolbus you rode to school shorter than normal? Do the books you read still primarily have pictures?

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #313 on: December 07, 2021, 03:03:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Yes
[close]

Was the schoolbus you rode to school shorter than normal? Do the books you read still primarily have pictures?

Damn dude, talk shit all you want about the trucks but insinuating someone is special needs is hella tawdry and reinforces negative stereotypes about the mentally disabled. We can do better.

BRB while I find a prolapse to post.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #314 on: December 07, 2021, 04:17:00 PM »
Yeah and if anyone wants to buy me some Caliper 3s, send them to me and I will ride them
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #315 on: December 07, 2021, 05:21:59 PM »
Yeah and if anyone wants to buy me some Caliper 3s, send them to me and I will ride them

Caliber, show our GOAT @Lhotse some fucking respect
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #316 on: December 07, 2021, 05:39:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Yes
[close]

[close]

Damn dude, talk shit all you want about the trucks but insinuating someone is special needs is hella tawdry and reinforces negative stereotypes about the mentally disabled. We can do better.

I sorta get what you're getting at, but please correct me if I am wrong: is it not true that many mentally disabled individuals are required to take different transport and also tend to be less advanced along the reading comprehension spectrum? I'm not talking about neurotypical types who are the complete opposite.

AxelSlip

« Reply #317 on: December 07, 2021, 06:48:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Yes
[close]

You're such a twat I felt the need to make an account to say it to your face. But it makes me wonder if the picture of me taking the short bus and being slightly autistic turns you on.

Just like you trying out these new Royals, we'll never know.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #318 on: December 07, 2021, 10:08:09 PM »
Nice life that you get so mad at a stranger on a thread about skateboard trucks that you made an account to post a reply that might be an insult to an 11 year old. Not only did you take a joke wayyyy too seriously, you legit felt compelled to go through the entire account creation process to vent the anger.

Note: I'm fully autistic and given that the diagnosis has such a wide spectrum don't consider it a learning disability for me and is perhaps the sole reason I am good at my job.

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #319 on: December 07, 2021, 10:15:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Yes
[close]

[close]

Yeah and if anyone wants to buy me some Caliper 3s,send them to me and I will ride them

@Ghotse?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #320 on: December 08, 2021, 07:44:27 AM »
Would gnar you for that if I could

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #321 on: December 11, 2021, 07:41:58 AM »
One of you has to be mad enough to try it by now and answer my question:
Can you put thunder hangers on the royal ikp baseplate?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #322 on: December 11, 2021, 10:02:26 AM »

If I ever take mine apart (still stock!) I'll let you know ;)

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #323 on: December 11, 2021, 02:50:33 PM »
Got my first session in on them yesterday and I love them.

Biggest surprise was the bushing which felt broken in almost immediately at factory tightness. I wasn't wobbling uncontrollably or completely stiff during that first push down the street.

Stability was really good too, but anything feels stable after the squirmy Mini Logo trucks. Pop of my switch tricks was much more controlled.

Pinched great on grinds, not Venture Lo good but close to Thunder.

No problems with the weight, 354g for the 144 IKP. Going down a few grams would have put this into S-Tier category.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

timv

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #324 on: December 11, 2021, 03:54:42 PM »
I haven’t skated mine yet but I did compare the hangers and baseplates with others and the closest swap was with ventures.
With that I know venture and thunders will not swap between at all so the royals most likely will not work with thunder.
Another trucks that swaps with ventures well is the tensor atg’s…..

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #325 on: December 11, 2021, 05:53:47 PM »
Skating my set of 149s with the inverted kingpin.
I mostly skate curbs.
I did notice as mention before that they’re like Ventures and Thunders. I skated them and they do feel great stock. Although a clear amount slower than thunders but faster than Ventures, almost like the Krux K5. They made my board feel longer which was interesting.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #326 on: December 11, 2021, 11:42:05 PM »
1 area that could use improvement would be the baseplate, I prefer a beefy one like Venture has. Royal has their angled in too much so it doesn't contact as nicely against the ledge, end up sliding on the thinnest part.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Fs_smith_98

• Rep: 1
« Reply #327 on: December 12, 2021, 05:28:27 AM »
Doing my report-duty for the guys on here that suffer from the madness as i do (stay strong boys one day we'll find the perfect trucks and be free from this curse). I'm skating the new royals 144 ikp since two weeks now. I'm skating them on a 14.25 wb skate cafe deck, 8.25, and the wheelbase with the trucks on is 17.3 (+3,05) (from what i've measured), so less then thunders and venture but more than aces, i think a little more than indys also (?). Height is 52mm. I would describe them as thunders with a bit less wb and with a more surfy turn. Pop and pinch is very similar, but yeah the turn feels more surfy (especially in winter, thunders bushings fucking freeze in winter). It was a kinda a "2steps" turn at the beginning but once they broke in it felt more natural. Coming from ace af1 yeah the turn isn't THAT good but still very satisfing, but they feel better for tech stuff, at least for me. They do get very loose if you want, and i do skate them that way. Metal seems a bit softer than thunders and ventures, but not as much as ace classics, good grind anyway. They also feel pretty lightweight, but nothing crazy. My only little issue is that if you keep them loose over a certain point, the kingpin will start to loosen itself, so you have to readjust them every now and then, but i guess that's the inverted kingpin life (first set of ikp i've ever owned). Unless they will fucking explode out of nowhere in the next weeks i'm very very happy with them, they seem a solid well-made truck. I've always gone back and forth between thunders (for the tech) and aces (for the surfiness) and these hit a pretty sweet spot for my needs.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #328 on: December 14, 2021, 11:34:27 AM »
I'm thinking about these trucks every single day and it's driving me mad. I'm considering buying them (currently -20% at my local) simply to stop thinking about them. I do not need trucks.
I'm trying to at least wait for a hollow version because they're way heavier than what I'm used to but I'm struggling.

So here's the question: Do you think I'm gonna regret NOT waiting for the hollows?
I'm used to thunder titaniums (Measured effective wheelbase at +3.18 and 305 g for mine).

LebowskisRug

« Reply #329 on: December 14, 2021, 11:40:28 AM »
Hollows usually change the weight by 20g, so it won't be substantial honestly. Plates are where the weight realllllly drops.