Author Topic: New royal trucks  (Read 69643 times)

Acky Jacky

Re: New royal trucks
« Reply #420 on: February 07, 2022, 08:56:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Just set em up on my current board which I’ve had ventures on for a month plus. If it’s dry enough in the morning I plan on testing em before work. First thing I noticed standing on top of them inside is yes they seem like they have a good turn but the bushing sound/feel a little creaky, almost like there’s some sort of weird resistance happening. They probably just need to be broken in but I can’t recall this happening with any other trucks/bushings I’ve had recently.

We’ll see
[close]

For me it's the pivot cup every time and the Royals do creak more in the cold, or after a certain amount of time in normal weather. This happens with literally every truck I've ever skated though, might have to use some grease if it annoys you. Trust me the pivots and bushings are top quality.

Thanks for the response. I’m excited to try them, I’m not able to wrap my head around it at first but I wanna make a distinction. They feel creaky, but don’t sound squeaky. They have a slight sound but I think it’s more the feeling. My instincts tell me it’ll resolve itself.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #421 on: February 07, 2022, 11:13:15 PM »
Every new truck is creaky or squeaky in some way, just ride them and break them and stop worrying about it/over thinking it…or just go back to ventures.

I still have a pair of Thunders I ride and they’re the noisiest fucking things…skate great tho

Murge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #422 on: February 08, 2022, 11:07:53 AM »
Just to double check these are the new royals right ?

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Royal_The_Royal_Raws_Truck/descpage-RYRAWTR.html

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #423 on: February 08, 2022, 11:28:36 AM »
yes

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #424 on: February 08, 2022, 12:17:50 PM »
After watching Ben's reluctant review and all these positive comments... It's got me wanting to try a pair after my own WB/truck madness and going back full circle to indys. Still haven't set up my lurpivs idk If I ever will.

* The only time I was ever able to do blunts was on Royals when they first came out. First and last pair of colored trucks I ever had.

The Royals got Ben back on the madness.  :o

FYI Skate warehouse has 25% off sitewide off making Royals $16.49 ea  :-X
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 12:49:23 PM by Kombuch-A-Holic »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #425 on: February 08, 2022, 12:26:36 PM »
Does anybody know if you can turn the ikps into regular kingpin trucks? Seems like it's more complicated than just a nut at the bottom of the baseplate. I'm afraid to adjust the tightness because it might lead to a self-loosening kingpin over time. This is the first pair of trucks I've ever left "stock".

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #426 on: February 08, 2022, 01:09:48 PM »
Does anybody know if you can turn the ikps into regular kingpin trucks? Seems like it's more complicated than just a nut at the bottom of the baseplate. I'm afraid to adjust the tightness because it might lead to a self-loosening kingpin over time. This is the first pair of trucks I've ever left "stock".

It’s some sort of built in sleeve nut (not a proper term) and the threads go through the baseplate as well I think, so I doubt you could. On the plus side I bet that solves the ‘coming loose’ problem other ikp’s have. You’ll be fine with any reasonable amount of adjusting. There’s a pic someone posted earlier in this thread.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #427 on: February 08, 2022, 01:12:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s some sort of built in sleeve nut (not a proper term) and the threads go through the baseplate as well I think, so I doubt you could. On the plus side I bet that solves the ‘coming loose’ problem other ikp’s have. You’ll be fine with any reasonable amount of adjusting. There’s a pic someone posted earlier in this thread.

That's what I thought, thank you for clarifying

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #428 on: February 08, 2022, 02:08:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Page 3 of this very thread...
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=119099.msg3672122#msg3672122

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #429 on: February 08, 2022, 02:13:53 PM »
After watching Ben's reluctant review and all these positive comments... It's got me wanting to try a pair after my own WB/truck madness and going back full circle to indys. Still haven't set up my lurpivs idk If I ever will.

* The only time I was ever able to do blunts was on Royals when they first came out. First and last pair of colored trucks I ever had.

The Royals got Ben back on the madness.  :o

FYI Skate warehouse has 25% off sitewide off making Royals $16.49 ea  :-X

It's funny that he was so adamant about NOT switching to these even tho they are good enough to make him want to skate them more...just setup up some IKP 144s on an 8.125", super excited to size down.

Acky Jacky

« Reply #430 on: February 09, 2022, 10:19:15 AM »
Skated them around a basketball court in the dark. Coming from Venture they feel super light, gonna have to adjust to the wheelbase and height before I past judgement; they definitely turn though! I’ve been into skating ledges and doing manuals mostly, slightly concerned about manuals being harder considering Ventures are like a cheat code for them. Sorry for the useless update. I need a day off to skateeee

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #431 on: February 09, 2022, 11:15:54 AM »
Skated them around a basketball court in the dark. Coming from Venture they feel super light, gonna have to adjust to the wheelbase and height before I past judgement; they definitely turn though! I’ve been into skating ledges and doing manuals mostly, slightly concerned about manuals being harder considering Ventures are like a cheat code for them. Sorry for the useless update. I need a day off to skateeee

Coming from thunders, manuals are the only thing I'm struggling with since riding them :(

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #432 on: February 09, 2022, 04:40:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Coming from thunders, manuals are the only thing I'm struggling with since riding them :(

Probably have to crank them down or perhaps swamp out for some harder bushings. They are a very stable truck (that still turns!) but the bushings are super soft; for you venture/thunder riders who skate tighter trucks you might need to fiddle a bit...but really if you skate tight/prefer Venture or Thunder/have a great manual game, these might not be for you.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1934
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #433 on: February 09, 2022, 05:33:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Probably have to crank them down or perhaps swamp out for some harder bushings. They are a very stable truck (that still turns!) but the bushings are super soft; for you venture/thunder riders who skate tighter trucks you might need to fiddle a bit...but really if you skate tight/prefer Venture or Thunder/have a great manual game, these might not be for you.

Mine have gotten almost too soft after 2 months of use, my hanger is almost wiggle loose. Hard to visually gauge tightness with the IKP since you cant see the amount of threads exposed.

Kind of missing Venture's stability but I'm also lazy to swap trucks around.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Acky Jacky

« Reply #434 on: February 09, 2022, 05:35:59 PM »
To clarify the comparison, I skate my ventures as loose as I can without changing the geometry, basically by adding softer bushings. It’s just that with Ventures when you put your weight into a turn there’s basically a point where they “stop” turning until you distribute your weight more, basically preventing wheelbite on a sketchy manual, or nearly correcting it. With any truck with very responsive turning it might be normal to have to try harder to get the right manual.
That being said, I can’t really manual “on flat” but I can hold them if I jumped up on something, so the jury is still out for me. Im gonna put my ventures in my backpack when I go skate tomorrow, in case, but otherwise look forward to seeing what these royals do for me haha.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #435 on: February 09, 2022, 06:20:57 PM »
I got a pair coming from the skate warehouse sale. I’m pretty excited. I went from Indy ace Indy got hurt started skating thunders been enjoying it so I’m hoping the royals end the madness.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #436 on: February 09, 2022, 06:26:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Mine have gotten almost too soft after 2 months of use, my hanger is almost wiggle loose. Hard to visually gauge tightness with the IKP since you cant see the amount of threads exposed.

Kind of missing Venture's stability but I'm also lazy to swap trucks around.

I had to tighten each session after about the 3rd session and stopped needing to a few after that. They are soft, no doubt about it.

For some of you, might look into the ACE hard bushings, bet those would work for ya.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 07:00:38 PM by Xen »

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #437 on: February 09, 2022, 06:36:26 PM »
Ordered some 144s today. I’m excited. I’ve never been the best at manuel’s but if this give me an edge over Indy I’ll take it. I keep hearing all of you talk about the Ventures. Last year I got some 5.6 and they turned like crazy! Way more than my Indy’s or Aces. Wheel bite like crazy. I ended up giving them away to someone in need before I could break them in.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #438 on: February 10, 2022, 05:02:07 AM »
Ordered some 144s today. I’m excited. I’ve never been the best at manuel’s but if this give me an edge over Indy I’ll take it. I keep hearing all of you talk about the Ventures. Last year I got some 5.6 and they turned like crazy! Way more than my Indy’s or Aces. Wheel bite like crazy. I ended up giving them away to someone in need before I could break them in.

I had this same issue I got 5.6 ventures and I got wheel bite worse than Thunder and never felt the venture stability

Murray Hewitt

• Rep: 56
« Reply #439 on: February 12, 2022, 02:24:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Just ordered some 149 IKP after watching the Ben Degros vid. Currently on Ventures, I’ll make a post after skating them for a month or so.
[close]

Please do, I've read the entire thread today after seeing Ben's video, and I'm tempted. Although I have sworn to myself (or lied to myself?) that I wouldn't switch back from Indy's after having a bad case of axle slip on Ace classics, which I absolutely loved other than that. Thankfully it's winter right now in the great white north, so I barely go out skating other than parking garage sessions maybe twice a month, but I might just grab a pair of 149's once the snow melts a little.

From what I can tell from this thread, they are kind of a lower Indy but with Thunder pinch? That sound frickin perfect!

I had my first session on the 149 IKP today. For ref I'm riding a Krooked 8.38 with 14.25 WB.
Straight off the bat they didn't take long at all to get used to. Like others have said a great carve feeling with stability on centre. Best way I could describe them is that they are a great all rounder. As much as I enjoyed Venture, the heft to pop and very stable feeling kind of took away from casual/spontaneous skating. With the Royals it felt like a more 'breezy' skate, I was having a lot more fun in transition and I felt like 360 flips came easier. I definitely got more wheelbite than on Venture but didn't really cause an issue. For me personally they feel like the right fit coming from Thunder and Venture previously. Truly does seem like the best of both worlds. I'm going to stay on them, I had a really fun skate on them.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #440 on: February 12, 2022, 06:53:09 AM »
I got mine in the mail yesterday. Debating on setting them up today or next weekend.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #441 on: February 12, 2022, 10:18:09 AM »
I got mine in the mail yesterday. Debating on setting them up today or next weekend.

no time like the present

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #442 on: February 12, 2022, 12:41:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
no time like the present
I mean the post directly above should let you know you already should have set them up.

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #443 on: February 13, 2022, 04:41:01 AM »
Anyone tried these on a 14" wheelbase?

Royalty

• Rep: 5
« Reply #444 on: February 13, 2022, 04:53:19 AM »

I posted a few pages ago, the Hopps board was 8x31.2 14wb and it felt great, stable but super easy to rotate for spins and tres. Didn’t get to test it at high speeds but I imagine it would do just fine if you’re used to them!

Jonny7.5Alive

« Reply #445 on: February 13, 2022, 05:23:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I posted a few pages ago, the Hopps board was 8x31.2 14wb and it felt great, stable but super easy to rotate for spins and tres. Didn’t get to test it at high speeds but I imagine it would do just fine if you’re used to them!

Fuck yeah

AlumarX

• Rep: 13
« Reply #446 on: February 13, 2022, 06:31:23 AM »
Yep i'm riding a Girl 0023 now on them right now and they feel great. At first I had them setup on a 14.25 wb and could not manual/fakie manual for shit. Ironically my nose/switch manuals were on point.
I think I found my holy grail with this deck and truck combo.

Jonny7.5Alive

« Reply #447 on: February 13, 2022, 06:53:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yep i'm riding a Girl 0023 now on them right now and they feel great. At first I had them setup on a 14.25 wb and could not manual/fakie manual for shit. Ironically my nose/switch manuals were on point.
I think I found my holy grail with this deck and truck combo.

Amazing

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #448 on: February 13, 2022, 09:04:59 AM »
Just got home from my first session with them.
149s on a 8.8 creature stumps deck.

Very surfy like an ace I feel like they turn better than Indy like ace but pinch better than an ace but not quite like a Thunder.I didn’t really try to manual anything. Pop was by far the best pop I’ve had on any truck I can think of.

They weigh as much as much as my stock thunders that’s missing some meat.

My only complaint is I kept over or under flipping kick flips. And when I landed them I didn’t land as well as i do with thunders I kept landing up on the nose. Same with Ollieing  up stuff I kept landing on the nose even though it felt easier to go up. I’m sure this is user error but I’m not sure how to correct it. With thunders I landed more bolts and kick flips was just there. I’m debating on putting the 92a Indy conical bushings I have in the thunders in the royals and seeing if that helps some. Would really love some insight from someone smarter than me about why I’m landing up on the nose so much now like I think I need to adjust foot placement but idk

I am about 6’1 225lb so a lot of trucks turn easier for me cause I’m thiqq.  I’ve been skating thunders and really enjoying it. I’m still on the fence with the royals. Gonna keep them on for a few sessions see how it goes. Also I got some pics of wheel base measurements but I used a bent tape measure so they aren’t accurate and idk how much I trust my scale cause batteries kept dying 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 12:06:11 PM by Murge »

Acky Jacky

« Reply #449 on: February 13, 2022, 11:40:05 AM »
I tried them a little bit but I missed my ventures right away, especially since I can already turn fine. After a couple quick sessions, I’m unconvinced these would solve anything for me, probably just a personal preference.

Once the NY weather is a little nicer and I don’t have to make every session count for maximum fun, I might give these another go.