Author Topic: New royal trucks  (Read 69540 times)

Jonny7.5Alive

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 87
Re: New royal trucks
« Reply #600 on: May 30, 2022, 02:02:52 AM »
Scooped some ultra light 8.75's from SoCal for $42 shipped (with some 52mm F4 classics to get free shipping).

I love my Indy forged hollows in 8.5 and 9.125" but I really want to set up something lighter. May be awhile before I get around to building with them though. Any recommendations on decks to pair them with?

Not your size but I skate my 139s with Hockey 8"

The steepness of the kicks really pairs well with the Royals for some reason

AlumarX

• Rep: 13
« Reply #601 on: June 05, 2022, 01:31:12 PM »
Gonna be setting up my 8.25 royals on a 14.25 wb deck. I could not manual for shit on 14wb with these trucks.

I just put Tensors ATGs on that 14wb deck to give it away to someone, since I hate those trucks so much, but as I rode it I could not part with it just yet lol. I was getting way longer manuals.
If I can't manual with these trucks on 14.25wb I might have to give up and go back to thunders or ventures.

sebbo

• Rep: 20
« Reply #602 on: June 05, 2022, 03:22:59 PM »
If I can't manual with these trucks on 14.25wb I might have to give up and go back to thunders or ventures.

I am riding 14.25 and have no problems with manuals  8)

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #603 on: June 05, 2022, 06:41:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've also struggled on manuals with these, I wonder why that is?
It shouldn't be the relative wheelbase, since my manuals are way better on thunders as well as ace on the same deck.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #604 on: June 05, 2022, 07:47:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It shouldn't be the relative wheelbase, since my manuals are way better on thunders as well as ace on the same deck.

Besides wheel size which I'll assume was the same, the only other thing it could possibly be is weight, no? That could be it, but I think this phenomenon is purely mental.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #605 on: June 05, 2022, 08:56:00 PM »
That last sentence is all of gear madness.

I Can't Think

• Rep: 31
« Reply #606 on: June 06, 2022, 01:29:29 AM »
Figured I'd just let people know how the royals have been since I've been skating them for a few months. Overall they're pretty fucking sick, if you want lower trucks I'd seriously recommend these. Only thing that bugged me was the IKP would get loose, but after I tried super glue like someone suggested earlier in this thread the problem resolved. Also, I found the IKP is better for dipped grinds if its a smooth, skatepark ledge/rail. But if it's chunky then yeah it'll hang up more since it's way harder metal. Besides that Everything is good, it turns good, pops good, grinds good. I dunno what else to really say except they're really good trucks.

Side note: I bounced to a pair of worn ATGs I still have since I setup a new board and was curious how they felt after riding the royals and they still felt really good. Basically I'd say go royal if you want a low truck and tensor if you want high. It kinda sounds fucking kooked to say but yeah, tensor and royal skate the best in their respective height categories imo. I kinda wanna try some forged/TI indys later since their height is somewhere in the middle and they have a similar WB apparently.

sebbo

« Reply #607 on: June 06, 2022, 03:07:03 AM »
Figured I'd just let people know how the royals have been since I've been skating them for a few months. Overall they're pretty fucking sick, if you want lower trucks I'd seriously recommend these. Only thing that bugged me was the IKP would get loose, but after I tried super glue like someone suggested earlier in this thread the problem resolved. Also, I found the IKP is better for dipped grinds if its a smooth, skatepark ledge/rail. But if it's chunky then yeah it'll hang up more since it's way harder metal. Besides that Everything is good, it turns good, pops good, grinds good. I dunno what else to really say except they're really good trucks.

I've been skating them since february and second your points.
After I fixed the IKP with superglue everything was perfect.
Will definitely buy a second pair. But probably just the ravvs.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #608 on: June 06, 2022, 06:48:46 AM »
I'm setting up some 8.75 ultra lights with Bones hards on an 8.75 Flight deck today, with 52mm F4 classics. Should end up being a nice light board for the width. It's raining all this week but I'll report back once I get to skate it.

Also note to self: this is the 4th and last fucking board I'm setting up and running concurrently. The Madness must be curbed.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #609 on: June 06, 2022, 06:54:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've been skating them since february and second your points.
After I fixed the IKP with superglue everything was perfect.
Will definitely buy a second pair. But probably just the ravvs.

What have you guys been doing with superglue and the IKP? Haven't ridden mine in 3 months but the bushings were starting to feel softer than I liked, not sure if it was the kingpin loosening or the bushings fully breaking into become overly soft.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #610 on: June 06, 2022, 07:05:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Besides wheel size which I'll assume was the same, the only other thing it could possibly be is weight, no? That could be it, but I think this phenomenon is purely mental.

Yeah the combination of wb and weight has to be it. The aces are a bit shorter, but also stupid heavy so that kinda cancels it out I guess.

sebbo

« Reply #611 on: June 06, 2022, 08:33:06 AM »
What have you guys been doing with superglue and the IKP? Haven't ridden mine in 3 months but the bushings were starting to feel softer than I liked, not sure if it was the kingpin loosening or the bushings fully breaking into become overly soft.

Put some super glue on the kingpin nut inside the baseplate.

AlumarX

• Rep: 13
« Reply #612 on: June 08, 2022, 09:14:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I've no idea. I can get smooth comfortable manuals on damn near every truck I've tried. Maybe wheel size? I think my wheels are somewhere around 49-50mm by now. I'll report back on the 14.25.

I hated manuals on the ATGs until I set them up with some 2 year old Radials that are down to the mid 40mms and now they skate phenomenal.

But it'll have to wait a month, cause my shin splints are hurting even just to walk in. And now I got a calf sprain on that very same leg. I guess this is as good an opportunity as any to finally get my body to skate switch.

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #613 on: June 09, 2022, 12:03:31 AM »
Anyone tried the lights ? Much difference?

Also is the wheelbase the same between normal and lights?

sebbo

« Reply #614 on: June 09, 2022, 06:04:20 AM »

They just have a hollow kingpin and axle. So everything else should be the same, shouldn't it?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 06:38:31 AM by sebbo »

timv

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #615 on: June 09, 2022, 06:29:52 AM »

I do not think the baseplate is any different.  Just a hollow axle and kingpin like said above so wheelbase should be the same.

The only truck brand that I measured a difference of cast vs forged is venture.
I have thunder forged and cast plates and they are the same.  Indy forged vs cast the same.
Venture it is different.  I actually figured out that older cast venture USA plates vs newer cast plates are a bit different also.

IpathCats

« Reply #616 on: June 09, 2022, 10:15:19 AM »
I feel like these new Royals are the best underdog story in 2022 skateboarding. If there was an 80's movie based on this, the Lurpiv antagonist would be a cool guy badass that everyone liked, but ends up self sabotaging himself in the end due to his ego. Then everyone would realize the humble royal protagonist had what they were looking for all along.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #617 on: June 09, 2022, 11:55:13 PM »
Im hesitant about trying the new Royals due to the height and WB difference. Thinking about snapping up all the Royal IV 5.25s I can find and hope they last the rest of my life. I've been skating so good on my set. Or maybe I've been watching too many of Jerry's old parts

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #618 on: June 10, 2022, 01:19:20 AM »
Im hesitant about trying the new Royals due to the height and WB difference. Thinking about snapping up all the Royal IV 5.25s I can find and hope they last the rest of my life. I've been skating so good on my set. Or maybe I've been watching too many of Jerry's old parts

Hadn't ridden the old Royals in maybe 15 years but the new ones are worth the money and hold their own among the Big 4. Definitely considering picking up a pair when SWH or Tactics has a sale.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #619 on: June 10, 2022, 05:31:12 AM »

I have the 8.75 ultra lights, I think they're supposed to be 338g per truck. I should've re-weighed then after I put bones hard and different washers on though. Wheelbase I measured at +3.125", same as my 9.125" Indy Forged Hollows.

Pretty sure they have the same cast baseplate. By the way, it's cast right? Sure looks like it even though Tactics called them "Forged Ultra Lights"
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 07:24:06 AM by MysticalTypeExperience »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #620 on: June 10, 2022, 06:52:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have the 8.75 ultra lights, I think they're supposed to be 338g per truck. I should've re-weighed then after I put bones hard and different washers on though. Wheelbase I measured at +3.125", same as my 9.125" Indy Forged Hollows.

Pretty sure they have the same cast baseplate. By the way, it's cast right? Sure looks like it even though Tactics called them "Forged Ultra Lights"

Cast plates across them all; I can't recall, but there was some talk of them being rheocasted (like Lurpiv).

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #621 on: June 14, 2022, 08:10:03 AM »

They’re getting non Crail riders on.

stringsnthings

• Rep: -48
« Reply #622 on: June 14, 2022, 08:11:51 AM »

I like this. It's not the same as getting the boss on 4* but I do like the idea of getting dudes outside of rail.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #623 on: June 14, 2022, 08:19:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I like this. It's not the same as getting the boss on 4* but I do like the idea of getting dudes outside of rail.

aside from Jerry Hsu, Daniel Espinoza, and Nico Hiraga, have there been non Crail dudes on Royal? i'm blanking on others (if any)

IpathCats

« Reply #624 on: June 14, 2022, 08:31:12 AM »

Poor guy needs a wheel sponsor. Out here riding deathwish wheels. I feel like I would just pay for f4s before riding board brand wheels for free.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #625 on: June 14, 2022, 08:47:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

aside from Jerry Hsu, Daniel Espinoza, and Nico Hiraga, have there been non Crail dudes on Royal? i'm blanking on others (if any)

Ave, Wes, Molinar, Dgar. I’m sure there’s more, but those hitters spring to mind. Tbf ave wasn’t skating a bunch at that time, but the other 3, and Jerry, all had some of their best stuff on royals.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #626 on: June 14, 2022, 08:59:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Poor guy needs a wheel sponsor. Out here riding deathwish wheels. I feel like I would just pay for f4s before riding board brand wheels for free.

I always wonder if, with skaters like this (without a real shoe or wheel sponsor, whatever), they don't want to be seen riding a big name brand because A) it's free advertising for someone who isn't paying them or B) they don't want to be seen to be "pretending" to be sponsored by Spitfire. Like I imagine there's always some of that there, just normal kind of petty shit that I'd probably do if I were in that position.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

mamba

• Rep: 144
  • Sucka free
« Reply #627 on: June 14, 2022, 09:02:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ave, Wes, Molinar, Dgar. I’m sure there’s more, but those hitters spring to mind. Tbf ave wasn’t skating a bunch at that time, but the other 3, and Jerry, all had some of their best stuff on royals.

Jose Rojo, Daryl Angel.

Anyone remember before the revamp, the trucks had negative kingpin clearance? Like the kingpin literally stuck out past the axle

LebowskisRug

« Reply #628 on: June 14, 2022, 09:04:21 AM »
AVE was skating a lot just not on Royals. I saw Jerry skate a decent amount during that time period and he was always on Thunders.

IpathCats

« Reply #629 on: June 14, 2022, 09:49:30 AM »

I always wonder if, with skaters like this (without a real shoe or wheel sponsor, whatever), they don't want to be seen riding a big name brand because A) it's free advertising for someone who isn't paying them or B) they don't want to be seen to be "pretending" to be sponsored by Spitfire. Like I imagine there's always some of that there, just normal kind of petty shit that I'd probably do if I were in that position.

I'd just remove the logos if i was worried about free advertising. As particular as i am with my gear, i feel like i would be even worse if i was getting paid to skate. No way i could rock some deathwish wheels out of spite(fire)