Author Topic: New royal trucks  (Read 69638 times)

El Freegano

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 217
Re: New royal trucks
« Reply #840 on: May 22, 2023, 06:39:35 AM »

Jeron is skating the royals with bones medium bushings.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1934
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #841 on: May 22, 2023, 06:58:51 AM »
Damn, now I feel like giving them another go, if anyone has a pair of 149 Ultralight they'd like to let go hit me up!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #842 on: May 22, 2023, 07:15:06 AM »
Honestly they’re good trucks.  I don’t know why I swapped them out. To me they may be the best all around truck. They need just start dropping frequent edits like ace did.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #843 on: May 22, 2023, 11:13:11 AM »
Tough to make out, but is he riding dragons?  That smudge almost looks like it.

IpathCats

« Reply #844 on: May 22, 2023, 11:15:41 AM »

looks like it to me.

Rog is getting in his head.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1934
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #845 on: May 22, 2023, 07:58:50 PM »
Honestly they’re good trucks.  I don’t know why I swapped them out. To me they may be the best all around truck. They need just start dropping frequent edits like ace did.

My biggest gripe was the softness of the stock bushings, started out medium and got way too soft after a few weeks, and I don't want to go down the bushing rabbit hole. I felt like the IKP loosened with time or I couldn't tighten them anymore because the kingpin bottomed out, so tightness never felt right.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

IpathCats

« Reply #846 on: May 23, 2023, 05:30:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My biggest gripe was the softness of the stock bushings, started out medium and got way too soft after a few weeks, and I don't want to go down the bushing rabbit hole. I felt like the IKP loosened with time or I couldn't tighten them anymore because the kingpin bottomed out, so tightness never felt right.

I'm never buying an IKP until they can somehow guarantee that this issue has been solved.

And by that time, ill probably be too old to do a properly dipped smith grind anyways haha.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #847 on: May 23, 2023, 05:33:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I had standards but now that you mention it I do remember going from flush yo a couple threads and then cranking them. After this convo if I throw them back on im putting Indy blues or something else in.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 06:17:21 AM by Murge »

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #848 on: May 23, 2023, 06:07:31 AM »

Yep whole setup looks great
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

LebowskisRug

« Reply #849 on: May 23, 2023, 06:45:26 AM »
I had the same issue with the bushings and the weird heights make it a headache to put in something else. It's weird because they felt softer to me stock than even Indy or Ace. The grind is definitely harder but not Venture hard and a minor gripe. The baseplate slide cuz of the crown embossing was a bit annoying at first.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #850 on: May 23, 2023, 06:51:00 AM »
Def skating dragons

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #851 on: May 23, 2023, 08:51:46 AM »
I really like the Royal bushings, but FYI, I think the Pig bushings fit these pretty well. They got that tall bottom/normal top sizing. The finish and molding on them also makes me think they’re made where Ace bushings are mfd.

Stage 4 or 215 bottoms are also good.

Ace tall bottom/low top is a solid fit if you still want real loose. I liked the hard ones in this setup because you can keep them low-tension and swervy or tighten them up with a couple small turns.

You can also fit a tall AF1 bottom and top in there if you want even more tension. You still get plenty of turn this way, but it’s slower and less twitchy/wild than an AF1.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #852 on: May 23, 2023, 09:25:28 AM »

You can also fit a tall AF1 bottom and top in there if you want even more tension. You still get plenty of turn this way, but it’s slower and less twitchy/wild than an AF1.

This sounds great. I have some AF1s chilling  with an egged out pivot cavity. So maybe I’ll use those bushings.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #853 on: May 23, 2023, 01:09:59 PM »
Anyone with Bushing woes should just grab some ACE classics or Hards. Both tops are a bit tall but they work just fine.

Bones work fine but I didn't like the feel they gave, a bit too wobbly on center (like most stock barrel bottom trucks feel if you ride loose and switch to conicals).

Stock bottoms/ACE hars, bones/Indy 96a top (or any harder top) was the right combo for me. The bones top w/the bones washer ate up all the extra threads easy peasy; gives you that ACE dual duro vibe).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 01:53:00 PM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #854 on: May 23, 2023, 01:31:23 PM »
Logic wise that makes complete sense. Me being an illogical consumer that did not skate as much during the era where lots of stock bushings sucked, I do not want to have to immediately buy an accessory, especially one not even designed for the trucks, to get it to function. Like, I can skate Indy orange bushings out of the box with 2 threads showing and its not going to be a ton different than me skating Blues with a thread showing. I can't recall how much I had cranked my Royals, but it had to be 3 threads showing. At the same time I'll be honest that for me they turn and skate better than Venture cast, which get a lot more shine.

I totally get that this is not sensible since bushings are cheap and tons of people swap em anyways. It's purely on some arbitrary version of skateboarding consumer reports that exists in my head.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #855 on: May 23, 2023, 01:57:13 PM »
So indy stock work for you, that's cool. But they don't work for everyone or Indy wouldn't make Aftermarkets. Stock thunders don't work for me (94du do). AF1 low bushings (in AF1 lows)  don't work for my, I needed to buy the hards.

No truck requires you to buy an accessory before you ride them. I know two dudes that skate stock royals, no issues.

The stock royal bushings are amazing but not if you ride tight trucks / weigh more than 150lbs, they're very soft. They'd be fine but I can't stomach threads showing, this isn't the fucking 80s; that goes for every truck =D What I found odd is they never firmed up, they break in and just....continue to break in =D

Indy blues worked great in royals but soooo many threads showing.

I tried Venture cast and immediately dipped (after a week, skating 2hrs+ everyday); the royals provide the stability of Ventures but turn better; hell the pics I posted comparing the two trucks clearly shows royals are modeled after Venture.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 02:47:32 PM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #856 on: May 23, 2023, 05:36:12 PM »
So indy stock work for you, that's cool. But they don't work for everyone or Indy wouldn't make Aftermarkets. Stock thunders don't work for me (94du do). AF1 low bushings (in AF1 lows)  don't work for my, I needed to buy the hards.

No truck requires you to buy an accessory before you ride them. I know two dudes that skate stock royals, no issues.

The stock royal bushings are amazing but not if you ride tight trucks / weigh more than 150lbs, they're very soft. They'd be fine but I can't stomach threads showing, this isn't the fucking 80s; that goes for every truck =D What I found odd is they never firmed up, they break in and just....continue to break in =D

Indy blues worked great in royals but soooo many threads showing.

I tried Venture cast and immediately dipped (after a week, skating 2hrs+ everyday); the royals provide the stability of Ventures but turn better; hell the pics I posted comparing the two trucks clearly shows royals are modeled after Venture.

I don't disagree with any of this. I was pointing out the illogical selection criteria I employ, but when I step back something like the bushings matters a lot less than how the trucks perform and like you they were better for me than Ventures. I think it would be cool if the stock bushings were just firmer and it seems to be common feedback so maybe they will make or include some.

I'm equally illogical about threads showing! My bird brain rationalizes that the kingpin sticking up is just a recipe for eventually getting brutally pitched since it grinds worse than a kingpin nut. I could get Reynolds on it and break out the angle grinder but Thunder and Indy cast work better for me than Royal. Royal actually remind me a lot of a slightly heavier pop feel Indy Forged but they wheelbite less and I never had ghost pop issues I sometimes get with Indy Forged.

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #857 on: May 24, 2023, 04:09:05 AM »
For me the stock bushings are perfect for cold weather, but when it is hot i had to tighten a lot. Recently i bought indy blue conicals (mainly for my thunders) and tried them on the royals. The bushings are harder but the conical shape make them turn like when with stock. I think the blue indy barrell is gonna be good, but the difference in height might be a reason to see some threads showing. Anyway, after all i just grinded the kingpin down with 2 threads. I think this was the best decision for me :) more kingpin clearance and a stable ride :)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #858 on: May 24, 2023, 10:57:41 AM »
For me the stock bushings are perfect for cold weather, but when it is hot i had to tighten a lot. Recently i bought indy blue conicals (mainly for my thunders) and tried them on the royals. The bushings are harder but the conical shape make them turn like when with stock. I think the blue indy barrell is gonna be good, but the difference in height might be a reason to see some threads showing. Anyway, after all i just grinded the kingpin down with 2 threads. I think this was the best decision for me :) more kingpin clearance and a stable ride :)

I was going to pull out the gear and grind mine down as well, just lazy...

On a whim I slapped in a bones BOTTOM as a top along with the Stock bottom. Flush baby!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 11:09:58 AM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #859 on: May 24, 2023, 11:44:43 AM »
Ishod rides 2 tops, Royal riders can ride..... 2 bottoms
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 02:50:26 PM by LebowskisRug »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #860 on: May 24, 2023, 12:45:06 PM »
Ishod rides 2 bottoms tops, Royal riders can ride..... 2 tops Bottoms.

Fixed

I'll try them today and see how it goes. FWIW, the ACE top is just a hair shorter than the bones bottoms (Asta Style).

LebowskisRug

« Reply #861 on: May 24, 2023, 02:50:04 PM »
mother of all fucks I attempt a joke and am too hairbrained to see how horribly I got the wording mixed up. Gotta stop posting while on the john.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #862 on: May 24, 2023, 07:30:45 PM »
I tried the bones bottom as a top and stock royal bottom, it was fine, just felt like the truck was fighting itself?

Switched back to Ace Hards with flat sleeved washers (and 149 hangers) and it was right as rain (coming off 139s).

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #863 on: May 26, 2023, 06:34:52 PM »
I stuck them back on for a session today. Felt way too squirrelly. Tightened them to the point 3 threads was showing still felt kinda twitchy. Turn felt great but just wasn’t stable. Threw some Indy 92a after markers in. Tightened felt the same. Tighter them more felt the same like they never felt tighter or stable which is weird. I may have gained a little weight or maybe the weather being hotter. But I couldn’t get stable. It’s weird. So back to ventures. I felt more stable on aces which is wild to me. I may try some bones hard bushings another time. But I think I’m a venture guy I guess.

I may check and see if I have a busted pivot cup? They use to not feel this way. But I do remember having tighten them more and more before taking them off

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1126
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #864 on: June 03, 2023, 11:11:03 AM »

Set up a set of the 149 ultra lights on my twin tail. Expectations weren’t high but they’re actually pretty nice and the grind is fantastic. Nut is about flush and they feel stable but the turn gets deep pretty quick. Kept the session mellow, was mostly trying to break in the bushings so I was mostly just doing slappies and kickflips in a parking lot.

Again, can’t say enough good things about the grind. Compared to the Ace AF1s on my main set up, it’s like night and day.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #865 on: June 03, 2023, 03:37:36 PM »

Set up a set of the 149 ultra lights on my twin tail. Expectations weren’t high but they’re actually pretty nice and the grind is fantastic. Nut is about flush and they feel stable but the turn gets deep pretty quick. Kept the session mellow, was mostly trying to break in the bushings so I was mostly just doing slappies and kickflips in a parking lot.

Again, can’t say enough good things about the grind. Compared to the Ace AF1s on my main set up, it’s like night and day.

The grind only gets better...I just switched from Royals to AF1 (lows) and didn't really feel much of a difference in grind tbh...I did feel the weight and the narrower hanger (not axle) on the AF1s, with wide wheels they get cramped fast...anytime I switch trucks I keep ending up back on the royals tho.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #866 on: June 03, 2023, 07:10:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The grind only gets better...I just switched from Royals to AF1 (lows) and didn't really feel much of a difference in grind tbh...I did feel the weight and the narrower hanger (not axle) on the AF1s, with wide wheels they get cramped fast...anytime I switch trucks I keep ending up back on the royals tho.

I think maybe I have some of the earlier AF1s with the bad grind? (If that conspiracy theory is true) I swear they lock up on waxed red curbs, they’re miserable. I just keep trying and hoping they’ll break in but at a certain point I’m going to give up on them

LebowskisRug

« Reply #867 on: June 03, 2023, 09:20:19 PM »
That's gotta be a bogus set because my AF1 and all the weekend curb warriors I know really liked the grind. I got my first pair fairly soon after the came out and had the exploding pivot cup issue but never grind issues.

Looking at your picture the nut looks a few threads past flush, which is where I had mine. Despite being really turny they never felt out of control to me like Aces can if they're too loose. For me the pop feel felt way too light with the deck I was skating, but I could see them working on a deck with shorter kicks like a DLX twin tail

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #868 on: June 04, 2023, 01:55:03 PM »
That's gotta be a bogus set because my AF1 and all the weekend curb warriors I know really liked the grind. I got my first pair fairly soon after the came out and had the exploding pivot cup issue but never grind issues.

Looking at your picture the nut looks a few threads past flush, which is where I had mine. Despite being really turny they never felt out of control to me like Aces can if they're too loose. For me the pop feel felt way too light with the deck I was skating, but I could see them working on a deck with shorter kicks like a DLX twin tail

I think it’s maybe just a thread showing, I’m just running em how I got em. Especially with new bushings I never loosen/tighten the nut. They feel pretty good though

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #869 on: June 04, 2023, 07:07:23 PM »

That’s crazy because I couldn’t stand the grind on my Royals - I kept getting thrown off a buttery curb. Moved to the AF-1s I’m still riding now and there was an immediate improvement.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021