Author Topic: Thread of random advice  (Read 7429 times)

geezer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 37
Re: Thread of random advice
« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2021, 01:29:10 PM »
If you have kids or are around kids, keep your phone away from them at least until they are in their mid-teens. Young people's skull bones are not fully fused together until they are 25. The radiation emitted by smartphones can cause brain tumors in children and young adults because the tiny fissures between the plates in their craniums allow more radiation to penetrate their brains. Besides, what the fuck does a six-year-old need a phone for anyway?

The use of smartphone technology on a global scale is the largest self-experiment in human history. Nobody knows what the full effects of having these little personal cancer-enhancers on our persons at all times is having on us and on our animals and children exposed to them.

The sentiment here is fine, kids don't need phones.  The reasoning indicates a fundamental misunderstanding of physics.  The energy in electromagnetic radiation is a function of its frequency.  High Frequency/Short Wavelength radiation has more energy (potential to cause harm) than Low Frequency/Short Wavelength.  The electromagnetic spectrum ranges from low energy radio waves to high energy gamma rays.  Visible light is somewhere in the middle.  Cell phone radiation is in between radio and visible.  Meaning...if you're worried about cell phone "radiation" damaging your kids, then you should also keep them in the dark ALL THE TIME.

Here's a link to an article from 2000 that relates this to Einstein's Nobel Prize winning work with photons and ionization energy
https://www.sfgate.com/opinion/openforum/article/Einstein-Your-Cell-Phone-and-You-2707605.php#:~:text=EINSTEIN%20DIDN'T%20WIN%20the,Einstein%20explained%20a%20puzzling%20result.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1064
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2021, 05:33:54 PM »
Also, someone said this on a podcast and I stand by it: When ordering pizza for a group, don’t overthink it. Order 3 to 1 margherita because everyone is comfortable eating margherita and it’s always the first to go. If there’s loads of it, people feel ok having a bunch of slices. If there’s one fancy chicken thing and one sausage thing and one vegetable thing, everyone has to keep count and feels they can only have one slice of each.

I feel like this could be a whole thread.  The whole psychology of group pizza purchases. 

I’m not a vegetarian, but I generally only like veggie pizza and I notice that a lot of the people that wanted the meat pizza end up eating all my veggie pizza.  I don’t see why I have to pay because they changed their minds when they saw how gross the sausage looked.  Pluck that shit off and eat the meatlovers you wanted so fucking bad 45 mins ago, retards.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 682
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #92 on: November 10, 2021, 03:59:03 AM »
If you have kids or are around kids, keep your phone away from them at least until they are in their mid-teens. Young people's skull bones are not fully fused together until they are 25. The radiation emitted by smartphones can cause brain tumors in children and young adults because the tiny fissures between the plates in their craniums allow more radiation to penetrate their brains. Besides, what the fuck does a six-year-old need a phone for anyway?

The use of smartphone technology on a global scale is the largest self-experiment in human history. Nobody knows what the full effects of having these little personal cancer-enhancers on our persons at all times is having on us and on our animals and children exposed to them.

Random advice, never trust people who believe in astrology. They have a massive misunderstanding of Science
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 04:22:37 AM by BALARGUE »

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2021, 10:20:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Also, someone said this on a podcast and I stand by it: When ordering pizza for a group, don’t overthink it. Order 3 to 1 margherita because everyone is comfortable eating margherita and it’s always the first to go. If there’s loads of it, people feel ok having a bunch of slices. If there’s one fancy chicken thing and one sausage thing and one vegetable thing, everyone has to keep count and feels they can only have one slice of each.
[close]

I feel like this could be a whole thread.  The whole psychology of group pizza purchases. 

I’m not a vegetarian, but I generally only like veggie pizza and I notice that a lot of the people that wanted the meat pizza end up eating all my veggie pizza.  I don’t see why I have to pay because they changed their minds when they saw how gross the sausage looked.  Pluck that shit off and eat the meatlovers you wanted so fucking bad 45 mins ago, retards.

100% could be a thread.

I believe in ordering the most pepperoni pies, then one or two others. I feel like people will always grab a slice of something not pepperoni, but then will always throw a slice of pepperoni on their plate because its a classic. I'm usually with family and kids though, so I'm sure that has something to do it too. Kids want simple stuff.

I do believe its wise to be conscious of the veggie pizza because there are more people who don't eat or don't want meat than most people assume. Even if it looks good, I typically stay away from it because it might be the only option for some people, and I don't want to take their slice when I've got other options.

This goes for all food, but when you're hosting, make sure you have more than enough food. Nobody wants to feel like there might not be enough, or that they can't have all they want.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2021, 10:30:31 AM »
Always buy citrus fruits by weight. Weigh them in your hand, the heavier your orange is , the sweeter it will be…

3D X-Ray Vision

« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2021, 10:52:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Random advice, never trust people who believe in astrology. They have a massive misunderstanding of Science
So you would give your child a smartphone? Or you already have. Did I strike a nerve?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 883
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2021, 10:57:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

100% could be a thread.

I believe in ordering the most pepperoni pies, then one or two others. I feel like people will always grab a slice of something not pepperoni, but then will always throw a slice of pepperoni on their plate because its a classic. I'm usually with family and kids though, so I'm sure that has something to do it too. Kids want simple stuff.

I do believe its wise to be conscious of the veggie pizza because there are more people who don't eat or don't want meat than most people assume. Even if it looks good, I typically stay away from it because it might be the only option for some people, and I don't want to take their slice when I've got other options.

This goes for all food, but when you're hosting, make sure you have more than enough food. Nobody wants to feel like there might not be enough, or that they can't have all they want.

These seem like very reasonable adult choices but this is for any dumb kids (or unfortunately in my case adults) don't expect people to let you share their $10 pizza when you got a fucking $3 plain cheese. Especially if there's more than one of you trying this stupidity. "Oh you thought we would all just share? Then why did three of you buy the same pizza? What would be the point of sharing."
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 04:29:18 PM by Mean salto »

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1437
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2021, 04:38:44 PM »
-don't be a dick. Even if its funny/fun, it ends up weighing on you and can fuck up others

-learn how to breathe. Take a breathing class or mindfulness meditation. Its good for calm and also the rest of your health.

-don't forget to tell your homies you love them

-get your passport. You never know when you're gonna get offered a free trip

-its all good to follow the dough to some degree, but its not all there is. Taking chances and following your heart is where its at. Its hard as fuck to keep it together, but its possible.

-learn about your body- some basic anatomy and muscle group knowledge can really help maintain solid physical health/well being, as well as helping recover from injuries as we age.

-sounds corny as fuck, but believe in yourself.

Support your local skate shop

biaherl

• Rep: 276
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2021, 04:51:29 PM »
Three important rules for breaking up:
1. Don't put off breaking up when you know you want to
2. Prolonging the situation only makes it worse
3. Tell them honestly, simply, kindly, but firmly

Don't make a big production. Don't make up an elaborate story. This will help you avoid a big tear-jerking scene. If you wanna date other people say so. Be prepared for them to feel hurt and rejected, even if you've been going together for only a short time and haven't been too serious, there's still a feeling of rejection when someone says that they prefer the company of others to your exclusive company. If you're honest and direct and avoid making a flowery emotional speech when you break the news they will respect you for your frankness. Honestly, they'll appreciate the kind and straight forward manner in which you told them your decision.

Unless they're a real jerk or a cry baby, you will remain friends

quackquack

• Rep: -442
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2021, 07:02:29 PM »

Don't make a big production. Don't make up an elaborate story. This will help you avoid a big tear-jerking scene. If you wanna date other people say so. Be prepared for them to feel hurt and rejected, even if you've been going together for only a short time and haven't been too serious, there's still a feeling of rejection when someone says that they prefer the company of others to your exclusive company. If you're honest and direct and avoid making a flowery emotional speech when you break the news they will respect you for your frankness. Honestly, they'll appreciate the kind and straight forward manner in which you told them your decision.

Every boy, every boy in the whole world can be yours, if you just listen to my plan: THE TEENAGE GUIDE TO POPULARITYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.
Oh, the places you'll go.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
« Reply #100 on: November 11, 2021, 03:41:29 PM »
let go of grudges

Yu Dum

« Reply #101 on: November 11, 2021, 05:02:10 PM »
I don’t know if this constitutes as “advice”, but learn to accept yourself and your flaws while figuring out a way to improve those flaws.
The best lesson I’ve learned is that finding yourself is the easy part of life; it’s acceptance of who you really are and a willingness to work on the negative aspects of yourself that proves to be the biggest challenge.
Never stop growing, my friends.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #102 on: November 11, 2021, 05:18:00 PM »
Start funding your retirement account.  It seems like the furthest thing away from now - but even starting at $10 a week will get you going.  Then put more in each time you switch jobs or get a raise.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #103 on: November 11, 2021, 06:44:23 PM »

How do you get the significant other in the first place? Dick pics?
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 682
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2021, 01:34:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
So you would give your child a smartphone? Or you already have. Did I strike a nerve?

classic straw man
Just read geezer post. Everything is there

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2021, 03:52:48 PM »

possibly the most solid advice in the whole thread!

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2021, 05:15:04 PM »
-Don’t let anyone in front of you in traffic.  That puts you one car-length later than you would have been.

-Holiday gifts: Cheapest thing possible, especially with people who tend to get gifts from a lot of different people.  They won’t remember who gave them what in 3 weeks.

-Don’t ever help anyone move.  It fucking sucks.  It takes all day.  You have to hear all their fucking stories about their furniture.  And for what?  They buy you and three other people a single pizza?  Fuck you.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2021, 05:58:24 PM »
If you’re in a long term relationship and think marriage is a possibility, make sure you know your partners family and the dynamics. If you eventually get married or whatever, they become your family. And there problems become your problems.

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2021, 06:44:20 PM »
-Don’t let anyone in front of you in traffic.  That puts you one car-length later than you would have been.

-Holiday gifts: Cheapest thing possible, especially with people who tend to get gifts from a lot of different people.  They won’t remember who gave them what in 3 weeks.

-Don’t ever help anyone move.  It fucking sucks.  It takes all day.  You have to hear all their fucking stories about their furniture.  And for what?  They buy you and three other people a single pizza?  Fuck you.

Lol

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2021, 04:34:36 PM »
You know how if you buy raw shrimp, there’s a visible line of shit about the size of a pencil lead running the length of their disgusting bug bodies?

If you do this, you are literally paying someone to let you eat some bottom feeder’s shit.

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2021, 01:56:42 AM »
Learn the Heimlich maneuver. Also learn how to do it on yourself in case you’re alone. You’ll save someone else’s or your own life eventually

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2021, 06:54:14 AM »
First couple year’s of sobriety suck ass but the self reflection and motivation for changing certain behaviors you’ll see who your real friends are.

Also hobbies and including learning self esteem.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1702
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2021, 07:23:30 PM »
Righty tighty

BUT

Lefty loosey

"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2021, 07:23:49 PM »
Learn the Heimlich maneuver. Also learn how to do it on yourself in case you’re alone. You’ll save someone else’s or your own life eventually
More importantly would be to learn how to do CPR (hands only please).

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 183
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2021, 02:47:02 AM »
- Even if you have a solid group of friends, don't shy away from meeting new people if the situation comes up. Who knows what could happen and you could find yourself without friends at 26
- Don't spend hours trying to learn a trick, try a bunch of shit at the same time.
- Don't stay in the same routine or city for years. Seeing the same people, drinking in the same bars and skating the same spot. Move around if you can (job, holyday, workaway, woofing), it will make you appreciate the place you were even more and you'll have some fun.
- If you want to start something do it, no matter how old you are. I started skating and playing music at 20 years old and now my life revolves around these two things.
check my music

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
  • dog stuff
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2021, 03:04:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel like the new school "hands only" technique is only being pushed because of people being hesitant to perform mouth to mouth on a stranger and then end up not giving the massage either. So this new school is only being introduced to get those massage rates up.

I carry one of those cpr mask on my Keychain, I'll give mouth to mouth to you  or yr gran (if they need it)

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 883
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2021, 03:17:53 AM »
- Even if you have a solid group of friends, don't shy away from meeting new people if the situation comes up. Who knows what could happen and you could find yourself without friends at 26
- Don't spend hours trying to learn a trick, try a bunch of shit at the same time.
- Don't stay in the same routine or city for years. Seeing the same people, drinking in the same bars and skating the same spot. Move around if you can (job, holyday, workaway, woofing), it will make you appreciate the place you were even more and you'll have some fun.
- If you want to start something do it, no matter how old you are. I started skating and playing music at 20 years old and now my life revolves around these two things.

Big big agree with the first two. Especially at that mid 20s to mid 30s age. I've had that happen. People have kids, meet partners that don't like their friends, decide they want a sea change and move to the opposite side of the earth or the opposite and they stay the same but you just realise you only even talk to them because you both like riding skateboards but otherwise you actually kind of hate your friends haha.

Also trying a trick for ages it's way more fun to try a trick out of manual or slide than into. or even just on flatground or down something. At least on all the attempts you didn't make you got to of slid or manualed not just thumped your heels for an hour

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 122
« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2021, 05:41:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Meatlovers is way overrated. Personally, I'm not really a fan of Italian sausage, but more specifically fennel. I will fuck with pepperoni though. Well done pizza is always the best. I will do a white pizza if I'm in the mood.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2021, 11:47:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I feel like the new school "hands only" technique is only being pushed because of people being hesitant to perform mouth to mouth on a stranger and then end up not giving the massage either. So this new school is only being introduced to get those massage rates up.

I carry one of those cpr mask on my Keychain, I'll give mouth to mouth to you  or yr gran (if they need it)
I have no idea what you mean by "massage". Hands only CPR is being pushed because circulation is the most important part of CPR. The average person doesn't have a barrier device or BVM, and asking them to let a dead person puke in their mouth is a bit much to ask. As a professional, I'm not putting my mouth on them, so why should you? Let the EMS crew worry about airway and breathing, since they have the proper equipment to secure the airway. I would say though, that downloading the pulsepoint app on your phone is a good idea too. It can alert you to when an event is happening as well as where the nearest AED is. Edison's medicine is the second best cure for a broken heart behind chest compressions.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

cynical cow

• Rep: 27
« Reply #119 on: November 19, 2021, 11:38:08 AM »
Carry some chewable aspirin with you for when you come across someone having a heart attack. I keep 2 in a tiny baggie in my car/bag. Someone did this and saved a family member’s life.

If you’re in a fresh/still newish relationship, don’t put them on your phone plan or car insurance plan. Also look out for red flags of narcissistic abuse and pass that on to your daughters (it happens to males too) but I wish someone had told me.