Author Topic: Anyone ever build a rain setup?  (Read 1709 times)

Gnarwhal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
Anyone ever build a rain setup?
« on: November 09, 2021, 11:37:40 AM »
I've been living in the PNW for the last few years and I've decided it's finally time to graduate from rainy winter parking garages to a second setup I can thrash in semi-wet weather.  Has anyone done something like this semi-legit before?  All I can really think of is soft grippy wheels and coarse griptape.  If anyone has sealed a deck or some shit any tips would be appreciated!

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
Re: Anyone ever build a rain setup?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 04:10:26 PM »
@tkp can guide you
SPB!

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 05:11:15 PM »
I have had a rainy day board for over 30 years. Mostly a cruiser for distance not tricks. It's made from old or hand me down parts that you're not invested in. You can keep clear coating your board to protect it but eventually you will have a board that you love that will need to be retired and that will become your rainy day board.

It's an important part of your quiver

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 09:00:19 PM »
I used to have one back in Aus when I commuted to work most days on my board, they are a tonne of fun and you don't need to give a shit about them. usually made up of old parts lying around

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Movies

• Rep: 7
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 10:04:15 PM »
I live in the PNW also, and for this rainy season I was thinking about trying some of that Nike/Jessup re-grind griptape with the rubber in it. I don't know if it would be better when wet...but it can't be any worse than standard griptape. Deep concave boards seem to hold my feet a bit better but I'm probably imagining that.
For wheels I try to stay below 95a, and just set up an old deck that's already past it's prime. I was thinking about sealing one with clear coat to see if it lasts any longer, but I honestly have my doubts.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 03:19:50 AM »
One thing I can add to the rest of the advice is get yourself some downhill grip tape. That shit is super coarse and will keep you glued to the board.

Those downhill longboard guys mob down hills in the rain, some even have ways of putting tread into their wheels.

One other point before setting up an older board is to get some lacquer or sealant snd coat the board for a slightly longer life.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Movies

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2021, 07:38:35 AM »
One thing I can add to the rest of the advice is get yourself some downhill grip tape. That shit is super coarse and will keep you glued to the board.

Those downhill longboard guys mob down hills in the rain, some even have ways of putting tread into their wheels.

One other point before setting up an older board is to get some lacquer or sealant snd coat the board for a slightly longer life.

Shit, I didn't even know downhill grip was a thing. Just ordered some 30 grit to try out. Thanks.

(first time looking at a longboard shop, and there's some weird alternate dimension type shit going on over there)

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 08:27:12 AM »
Longboarders have bearings and bearing lube specifically for the wet. I'm not sure how well they stand inpact, but it is an option.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2021, 02:31:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Shit, I didn't even know downhill grip was a thing. Just ordered some 30 grit to try out. Thanks.

(first time looking at a longboard shop, and there's some weird alternate dimension type shit going on over there)

The way they have to sit way back to powerslide soft wheels means they need extra grip. Feet just slide off the board with regular stuff.

A weird alternate dimension is a good way of putting it. It’s generally a good dimension tho, from what I know.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Movies

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2021, 03:21:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The way they have to sit way back to powerslide soft wheels means they need extra grip. Feet just slide off the board with regular stuff.

A weird alternate dimension is a good way of putting it. It’s generally a good dimension tho, from what I know.

Yeah, I was interested to see that they put old wheels on a lathe to re-shape them and add channels for better grip in the rain. That's pretty cool.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2021, 10:27:42 PM »
I found a Jeff Kendall re-issue and it had Powell bombers....perfect rain set up.  I didn't bother doing many slides or tricks...just going through puddles is fun enough....

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2021, 10:35:14 PM »
I sort of do. It snows a lot here in the winter. There is a mini ramp we often shovel out to skate when it snows. Inevitably boards go off side of the ramp, and into the snow (and get soaked). It's worse in the spring then the snow is really wet. So, come winter I "retire" a deck before it is totally beat. When the snow comes I set that up as snow/ramp board with some cheaper bearings. 
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2021, 07:32:21 AM »
my plan was set one up with the softest wheels i can find, use an old snowskate deck that has foam grip + xtreme grip (the aggressive rubber spikes) just waiting til my shittiest snowskate is no longer worth using. was also considering spraying some galvanizing spray paint on my trucks but not sure its even worth it.
ONTARIO CANADA

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2021, 09:37:47 AM »
I live in the PNW also, and for this rainy season I was thinking about trying some of that Nike/Jessup re-grind griptape with the rubber in it. I don't know if it would be better when wet...but it can't be any worse than standard griptape. Deep concave boards seem to hold my feet a bit better but I'm probably imagining that.
For wheels I try to stay below 95a, and just set up an old deck that's already past it's prime. I was thinking about sealing one with clear coat to see if it lasts any longer, but I honestly have my doubts.

That grip gets very slippery when it is wet. Maybe because of that plastic or whatever, I don't know to be honest. But please don't do that.
IG: @flowterspace

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2021, 01:27:52 PM »
I would buy some Zealous bearings.  They are the most sealed I have ever come across and would probably do fine on a rain board.  They take a while to break in and get faster after a month or so - but I have never had to clean them.  They aren't on my primary board, but they have been kicked around for a few years.

Bonus is they are cheap.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2021, 05:12:41 AM »
I would buy some Zealous bearings.  They are the most sealed I have ever come across and would probably do fine on a rain board.  They take a while to break in and get faster after a month or so - but I have never had to clean them.  They aren't on my primary board, but they have been kicked around for a few years.

Bonus is they are cheap.
Their ceramic bearings are great. Which ones you get?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2021, 07:21:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That grip gets very slippery when it is wet. Maybe because of that plastic or whatever, I don't know to be honest. But please don't do that.

Made me think of:

The first record I bought and I still love it. Prime Bon Jovi  8)

I guess that belongs in the real confessions and/or unpopular music opinions thread tho.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2021, 11:04:36 AM »
Expand Quote

Bonus is they are cheap.
[close]
Their ceramic bearings are great. Which ones you get?

The $16 steel ones. They aren’t as fast as my Swiss, Swiss 6 or Atoms, but they roll better than Reds - and I have never had to clean them.

Probably going to get more sets for my kids boards so I don’t have to worry when they toss them down in the dirt.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2021, 01:22:19 PM »
Ok this is one of those weird areas of expertise you only get when you live in a wet/rainy climate, commute on your board, and have like a ridiculous collection of gear.

This is my personal rain/snow setup.. Well my main one..

8.375 x 31.5 madness r7
Thunder 149 titanium with bones medbushings
Creature /OJ 56mm 97a hardline (wide but somewhat round)
Zealous ceramics

So basically what you want is a deck that you're comfortable with but don't care about. R7 has held up really well for me, i dont really worry about it sogging no matter how wet it gets. Trucks can be whatever you want but i recommend keeping them as tight as you can stand just because theres nothing worse than wheelbiting on a turn and getting tossed onto the wet pavement. Wheels I'd go with whatever size/shape you're comfortable with but wider and softer is better in my opinion. 95-97a is kind of a sweet spot for the roads around here.

Obviously bearings are the biggest issue with a rain board. I've got two kind of philosophies - either something like the zealous that are greased and tightly shielded or if you're the kind of person that thinks bronson raws are cool you can just get a set of $20 ceramics off amazon and pop the shields. Both methods work, but the zealous are actually pretty fast too.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2021, 09:36:42 PM »
anyone think about using some sort of spray on shit for grip? liquid sandpaper or a vehicle bedliner spray?
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2021, 01:04:15 PM »
anyone think about using some sort of spray on shit for grip? liquid sandpaper or a vehicle bedliner spray?

No.  But I've seen it for sale.

https://www.lucidgrip.com/products/lucid-clear-spray-grip-tape

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2021, 03:55:00 PM »
I just use old decks and parts for my rain setup. I usually change the deck when the griptape starts peeling off. As for bearings, I just let them get rusty and not think about it too much. If they seize up, they will roll again once there's enough water in them. Ha. You just have to roll around in the rain for a bit to make that happen. It's a rain setup anyway so it's going to get very messed up from the water unless you figure out a way to make a waterproof skateboard.

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 42
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2024, 10:36:00 AM »
Anybody try the ceramic reds bearings?

Anyone use the balls from the ceramics with some race reds races

Any day experience with putting shields on both sides of some reds, added drag?

Xtra speed cream?

Replace races with regular reds or mini logo races if they get rusty but keep the ceramic balls?

Tried the jessup "roam" grip, not impressed, Vicious was what I had last time, very pizza tape/80's style

Gonna try bones hardcore grip now

Gonna be testing out a set of the spitfire charger wheels

Flight decks work great for keeping their pop after skating in the rain