Author Topic: The Nice Club  (Read 33665 times)

chat noir

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Re: The Nice Club
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2021, 09:38:27 AM »
You want them to take the L for your entertainment, got it.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2021, 09:50:06 AM »
I always get confused when out of nowhere someone on the nine club says something like 'Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard' or
'Lets gooooooooooooo' and I'm always like 'Whats hard?' 'Lets go where?'

They need to edit better, because this stuff just doesn't make sense.

You mean there might be some fluff in their 3+ hour interviews?  :o

I talked to one of the filmers behind the scenes and he said these are already whittled down from 6+ hour monstrosities. I imagine that those extra 3 hours are where all of the critique and debate lie.

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2021, 10:02:09 AM »
I think they would like that they're known as the nice club
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 11:13:44 AM by biaherl »

mushroom slice

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2021, 10:36:56 AM »
I'd also just like to say that sharp cheddar cheese is an amazing cheese. It doesn't lend itself well to sandwiches however. Better for grating over food and letting it melt, instead of trying to slice it with a knife and having either crumbly pieces that are difficult to place evenly on a sandwich, or giant thick slices that overpower the sandwich. That being said, small chunks/slices go great with some crackers.
Extra sharp is good in a grilled cheese dunked in Tomato soup.

rukes

• Rep: 211
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2021, 04:41:20 PM »
Expand Quote
I always get confused when out of nowhere someone on the nine club says something like 'Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard' or
'Lets gooooooooooooo' and I'm always like 'Whats hard?' 'Lets go where?'

They need to edit better, because this stuff just doesn't make sense.
[close]

You mean there might be some fluff in their 3+ hour interviews?  :o

I talked to one of the filmers behind the scenes and he said these are already whittled down from 6+ hour monstrosities. I imagine that those extra 3 hours are where all of the critique and debate lie.

No I mean they just say 'hardddd' and 'lets goooooo' with no context as to what is hard and where they might be going, so the edit needs some work
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

everythingisgreat

• Rep: -130
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2021, 04:56:18 PM »

From here forward

“The Nice Club with Crob Roberts”

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2021, 04:58:41 PM »
Did I mentioned that it’s like a double edged sword?

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2021, 05:01:12 PM »
I'd also just like to say that sharp cheddar cheese is an amazing cheese. It doesn't lend itself well to sandwiches however. Better for grating over food and letting it melt, instead of trying to slice it with a knife and having either crumbly pieces that are difficult to place evenly on a sandwich, or giant thick slices that overpower the sandwich. That being said, small chunks/slices go great with some crackers.
I agree, I have a handheld adjustable cheese slicer and it is fantastic.  Thinly sliced sharp cheddar is essential

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2021, 07:28:13 PM »
they're friendly with their guests and that's nice.. I don't see why they would be hostile or try to embarrass a guest to get views

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2021, 08:47:26 PM »
Still annoyed they cut Grosso's interview to shit.

They addressed this before and said they didn't really edit anything he said out (not sure if that's the whole truth). Then again though, if he said something that he asked them to remove, how shitty would it be for them to post the uncut version after he passed?

The whole clean cut positive vibe of the nine club gets them some flack and it does get annoying in the experience episodes imo but I'm perfectly fine with it during the normal interviews. I don't listen to hear them talk shit, I want to hear about the featured guest.

Fhk

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2021, 09:12:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Everyone on The Nine Club is way too Nice.

Everything, every story, each comment = Amazing Bro. So cool. Amazing. Great Job. Thank you so much. So amazing bro. Wow.

Also, someone tell Kelly to step off the button every other laugh. That dude is LOLing his ass into the mic over everything. The guest is like “and I thats when I was at 711 and I bought a slurpee” and for some reason Kelly is doubled over.

I miss Roger energy, I like Eldy too- but the show needs more critics and critical thinking and conversation.
[close]

https://youtu.be/WwoxJFntwLU

RikiTakeuchi

• Rep: 5
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2021, 11:16:18 PM »
I'm a regular listener but see where you're coming from, a little shit talk now and then is good for the soul.

Kelly's ego seems to get bigger and bigger though, which is odd.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2021, 12:36:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They addressed this before and said they didn't really edit anything he said out (not sure if that's the whole truth). Then again though, if he said something that he asked them to remove, how shitty would it be for them to post the uncut version after he passed?

The whole clean cut positive vibe of the nine club gets them some flack and it does get annoying in the experience episodes imo but I'm perfectly fine with it during the normal interviews. I don't listen to hear them talk shit, I want to hear about the featured guest.

Grosso was pretty bummed about it, there is an interview somewhere with him and he talks about it. Anyways it's not my cup of tea.

Mad Max

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2021, 12:54:16 AM »
I'm a regular listener but see where you're coming from, a little shit talk now and then is good for the soul.

Kelly's ego seems to get bigger and bigger though, which is odd.

Their format is to open with chit chat about nothing. I get it but frankly they need to know when to drop the off topic stuff. Then they get into the questions and frankly Crob likes to stick to the order of things. Nobody can jumo into an interesting story if it doesn't suit his timeline of questioning.

I have noticed that Kelly is getting more brazen towards Crob who pumps his authority a bit too much. The kids table jokes are funny for a minute but not for years.
I also noticed Kelly doesn't have a button anymore which might explain the growth of Kelly.

When I first listened to The Bunt, I wasn't that much of a fan of their ABC line of questioning (always opening with the same questions, rapid fire etc) but then I realised it's a formula that works. The interviewee knows what's comiung and so does the listener, and frankly the questions are good for the nerds listening. Cephas perhaps more than Doniovan is a real nerd and always makes sure to stop and ask about those tidbits everyone is wondering. Donovan will also tackle the elephants in the room. If anything this shows the hosts are invested and have researched their guest.

The only "hot" topic Crob loves to cover even if he keeps saying it doesn't need to be addressed is money.

Regarding Breana, I got the impression she's quite shy anyway and their fake niceness and goofy attitudes just pushed her further into as corner.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2021, 01:56:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Grosso was pretty bummed about it, there is an interview somewhere with him and he talks about it. Anyways it's not my cup of tea.

I had no clue thanks for that. If you remember where he talks about it, can you link it my way?

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2021, 02:39:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I had no clue thanks for that. If you remember where he talks about it, can you link it my way?

I just watched it again, my memory is fried I thought he was more bummed but anyway's this is a great interview. He address the nine club at 1:00.25 or so

https://youtu.be/si9IvK6JIEc

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2021, 03:41:48 AM »
Chromeball is where it’s at

Mariatorresflores

• Rep: -95
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2021, 07:18:39 AM »
These Nine club defenders have to be mentally challenged or bereft of the ability to think critically. All us critique'rs are saying is the show is extremely disingenuous and, though they're actions, it can be discerned the parties involved lack any amount of integrity. Now go bet on shaving your balls kooks.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 10:27:01 AM by Mariatorresflores »

JimmyCarlinsJumpRope

• Rep: 4
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2021, 09:39:32 AM »
Feels like Nine Club hate is a pretty popular opinion these days. I personally don't care, but people have been telling me to watch The Bunt instead.

While I do enjoy the topics and the slightly more cut throat style they have over at the Bunt. Listening to the fucking host talk makes me want to kill myself, who speaks like that... Maybe I'm the fuckin nerd here...

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2021, 09:41:11 AM »
These Nine club defenders have to be mentally challenged or bereft of the ability to think critically. All us critique'rs are saying is the show is extremely disingenuous and, though they're actions, it can be discerned the parties involved lack any amount of integrity. No go bet on shaving your balls kooks.

ur a fucking weirdo

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 77
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2021, 10:15:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

From here forward

“The Nice Club with Crob Roberts”

The Nice Club Sandwich with Crobsalad.

Mariatorresflores

« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2021, 10:18:04 AM »
Expand Quote
These Nine club defenders have to be mentally challenged or bereft of the ability to think critically. All us critique'rs are saying is the show is extremely disingenuous and, though they're actions, it can be discerned the parties involved lack any amount of integrity. No go bet on shaving your balls kooks.
[close]

ur a fucking weirdo

Better then being an ignorant douche who can't spell. Weirdo's are my heroes.

edit - By the way Miller, I'm ignoring you now so
direct your incompetent trolling towards others from now on.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 10:26:40 AM by Mariatorresflores »

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 114
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2021, 10:50:16 AM »
These Nine club defenders have to be mentally challenged or bereft of the ability to think critically. All us critique'rs are saying is the show is extremely disingenuous and, though they're actions, it can be discerned the parties involved lack any amount of integrity. Now go bet on shaving your balls kooks.

I think it’s like… the Nine Club has established who they are and what they are about years ago, yet 5 years in someone takes issue with their lack of hard hitting questions. It’s like taking issue with pro wrestling being fake in 2021. I thought it was understood years ago what we were doing here.

everythingisgreat

• Rep: -130
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2021, 11:42:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Everyone on The Nine Club is way too Nice.

Everything, every story, each comment = Amazing Bro. So cool. Amazing. Great Job. Thank you so much. So amazing bro. Wow.

Also, someone tell Kelly to step off the button every other laugh. That dude is LOLing his ass into the mic over everything. The guest is like “and I thats when I was at 711 and I bought a slurpee” and for some reason Kelly is doubled over.

I miss Roger energy, I like Eldy too- but the show needs more critics and critical thinking and conversation.
[close]

[close]
https://youtu.be/WwoxJFntwLU

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2021, 11:58:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think it’s like… the Nine Club has established who they are and what they are about years ago, yet 5 years in someone takes issue with their lack of hard hitting questions. It’s like taking issue with pro wrestling being fake in 2021. I thought it was understood years ago what we were doing here.

This gives me an image of crob riding on the back of a dead horse while slap beats it

Mariatorresflores

« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2021, 01:03:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I agree, but of course things deserving of criticism continue to be unless something's changed. I'm tired of the argument too but here we are again somehow. I didn't want to add to this thread but the fans of this show who always respond with "they're just trying to play nice with everyone, what's wrong with that?" are just too annoyingly naive for me to sit it out. At it's core the show's disingenuous which as far as I'm concerned is synonymous with being a "Poser".

I think people are really just disappointed that the 9 club is probably the skate-pod with the highest level of visibility yet the host/creator's seem much more interested in the monetary aspects of podcasting than skateboarding. I don't exactly love the Bunt but their enthusiasm is genuine and they do great prep for their interviews in comparison; you can tell it's not their main gig but it's a real passion project and I can appreciate that effort.

I don't think people want or expect "hard hitting" questions; I don't think any skate-cast needs that, but better, more specific questions per interview would be nice. At least ask questions that may provide some clarification when the situation obviously needs it. For instance, they should have been more articulate during Jason Jesse's interview and at least followed up with Appleyard after his plan-demic/David Icke comments.

Sarcasm

• Rep: -9
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2021, 03:33:35 PM »
I'd rather listen to people talk nice as opposed to trying to sound tough talkin' trash.

Wheelbyte

• Rep: -34
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2021, 03:41:33 PM »

Uncle Jeffrey

• Rep: 36
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2021, 04:31:13 PM »
They got caught up in their own jokes way too much and the guests are clearly uncomfortable.. during the Brianna Geering episode they took over the conversation so much it was honestly just rude. It’s been bad for a while but it’s quickly devolving interesting a constant circle jerk.

Yeah, they got popular for a reason. It was cool seeing long interviews with old pros, young pros, industry legends, etc. And they're kinda nerdy but lovable interviewers. But once their identity as a pod got too big, it becomes unbearable.

Kinda like how Joe Rogan used to just be the crappy comedian weight lifter who got stoned and interviewed literally anybody for 4 hours, and it was sometimes entertaining. Now he's a political figurehead and getting people to distrust basic science for some reason.

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2021, 05:39:06 PM »
I am a longtime listener of The Nine Club, and find the nice guy routine a little tiresome and clearly forced. They all seem terrified of losing their marginal positions within the skate industry without realizing they are probably more powerful than their employers at this point as far as influence.

I can handle the format of the show when it’s older pros and filmers from my era (90’s and 00’s), but I really lose interest in the circle jerks with newer pros and people who I have never heard of half the time. I also don’t understand how and why they can’t get on more legends who I know for a fact they have relationships with. The Bunt is a great alternative for more authentic skateboard culture, but can also be a little too inside joke-y and Canada centric for my tastes