Author Topic: whats your setup routine for tricks  (Read 3195 times)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
whats your setup routine for tricks
« on: December 28, 2021, 05:44:08 PM »
some squat, some wiggle their toes, what works for you?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: whats your setup routine for tricks
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 05:52:31 PM »
A series of rhythmic and intense contractions of the anus. 
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 06:08:41 PM »
The ideal would be like Dollin where every trick your feet are the exact same but I don't skate often enough plus my feet are too big to get back to this.
Shuffling/shimmying is a major no no for me just put your feet where you think they need to be and leave it. Doing a trick out of manual, grind or slide you are allowed ONE adjustment any more and you fucked up.

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 06:17:21 PM »
Mild foot shuffling sometimes but for the most part I hop right into position. If you can get that motion down and practice loading up in a squat while you do it, you can setup for popping high pretty quickly. I made it a habit a few years ago and it’s been pretty useful

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 03:39:28 PM »
I watched Wade skate in person one time and now I cant stop doing the pants lifting thing

I know I do it and I hate it but it actually helps so much

BlueCadet3

• Rep: -1
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 06:47:18 AM »
When I do flip tricks especially on flat I tend to do this little pre bounce thing before I actually pop. I don't notice most other people do it and when I watch myself on film it annoys me. I also wiggle my feet a lot when learning new tricks until I know exactly where I like them. So when learning new flip tricks on flat it's like "wiggle, wiggle, bounce, pop" I don't know why and I don't like it.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 11:44:34 PM »
Wiggle my feet into position, hit a fat Ryan Townley squat, jump/pop/flick, and pray to God I don't fucking die.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 05:23:22 AM »
I turn my swag on.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 06:40:03 AM »
When I do flip tricks especially on flat I tend to do this little pre bounce thing before I actually pop. I don't notice most other people do it and when I watch myself on film it annoys me. I also wiggle my feet a lot when learning new tricks until I know exactly where I like them. So when learning new flip tricks on flat it's like "wiggle, wiggle, bounce, pop" I don't know why and I don't like it.

i do the same thing, especially on some more involved flip tricks... it's a bad habit i brought over from setting up when hitting rails on a snowboard.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 300
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2022, 10:16:01 AM »

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2022, 10:41:23 AM »
I just broke mine down recently and noticed it worked best for me to do things in a particular order, first is get the appropriate speed for the trick you're trying (defines your entire momentum also throughout the trick), then it's front foot adjustment to wherever feels right inside the concave, then back foot compensates wherever the front foot is for the pop (usually mirroring the position), and then hips and shoulders last. That's mostly whenever I'm working on a flatground trick (rarely happens these days) or kids at the park want to play SKATE though, otherwise I'm a lazy fuck and a lot of my skating is doing any trick my feet already are set up for if I'm going to do a trick.

Yibb-Tstll

• Rep: 52
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2022, 04:11:42 AM »
Unconscious setup that kinda bothers me when I check my footage. I do this little back-foot wiggle not even moving it, more little crushing a cigarette on the ground, right before popping. Totally useless as my foot is already on the right spot but after 20 years, it's definitely just a dumb muscle memory and don't think I can get rid of it

post-session update : no wiggle on switch/nollie tricks tho
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 07:14:49 AM by Yibb-Tstll »

blakeyjoe_

• Rep: -3
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2022, 10:47:36 AM »
Wiggle my feet into position, hit a fat Ryan Townley squat, jump/pop/flick, and pray to God I don't fucking die.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2022, 05:06:42 PM »
I turn my swag on.

I believe you are supposed to do this right after getting out of bed.

I like Yaje, but he really puts out some cigs on his setup.
Wade pant lift…PJ and P-Rod did this also. Wade the best tho.
I attempt to never watch footage of myself. It’s such a bummer. I pause for a long time, sort of ‘gathering strength’ to try and fling myself. And to slow down. I skate so slow. Terrible.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2022, 11:18:27 AM »
I shuffle my feet. I hate it. I wear through the sole of my shoes before the uppers.

I need to squat down deeper.  I just barely bend my old ass legs to squat.

bssmithslide

• Rep: -41
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2022, 02:58:54 AM »
my feet do the little inwards point thing like prime PJ Ladd it's natural as well as i had been skating for a few years before i watched any of his skating.

I get a lot of compliments about how cool my flat ground looks and honestly my set up is probably the biggest reason.

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -37
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2022, 01:02:06 PM »
Turn my hat sideways. If I’m wearing a beanie I flip it inside out real quick. Button up, then unbutton my flannel again. Same with zip up hoodies.

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 96
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2022, 02:45:09 PM »
if i can push my board forward then take a couple steps and hop on rather than throwing down or pushing i swear my rate for landing tricks goes way up

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2022, 05:59:46 AM »
I visualize Stevies 360 flip at the beginning of his part in the reason.

im not all that convinced foot placement matters a whole lot.  when you have something dialed in you can make it happen with your feet just about anywhere on the board.  this is why I dont think trick tips are all that helpful, other than focusing on pressure points (tiago is a great example here), because what works for one person won't work for you necessarily.

I dont have frontside flips, yet, but whats helping me is thinking about flicking straight off the nose, instead of off the side.  the angle of my foot on the board doesnt matter a whole lot.

its sick when you see someone wind up for a back 360 and theyre facing backwards before they pop, but I personally try to go for the element of surprise where you cant tell what im gonna do until im doing it.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2022, 11:51:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i do the same thing, especially on some more involved flip tricks... it's a bad habit i brought over from setting up when hitting rails on a snowboard.
I also do the mini hops, and I hate it.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 300
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2022, 08:02:27 AM »
if i can push my board forward then take a couple steps and hop on rather than throwing down or pushing i swear my rate for landing tricks goes way up

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2022, 10:10:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2022, 11:28:20 AM »
I need to unclench/relax my jaw and get in the zone first.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2023, 11:47:18 AM »
if i dont wanna put that much effort into my kickflip but still wanna land it and make it look good i just point my front foot (whole front foot still on the board but just like hella pointed like im gonna do a treflip) Idk just works when im tired but still tryna show off

jaysouthbay

• Rep: 1
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2023, 04:48:01 PM »
i 'cock' my feet  as if i would a gun before shooting like the brazilian skaters do

sle_epy

• Rep: -82
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2023, 03:37:13 PM »
I attempt to set up like I know what I'm doing, without any weird bounce or ball of the foot grinding. Tbh it's really helped me find the pressure points on the board to avoid all of those things. A bounce before you pop probably wastes some energy and throws off balance too. Tricks are basically a single movement at the end of the day.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 191
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2023, 03:49:31 PM »
Unless I'm really trying to focus on something more technical or a trick I don't have locked or now how to do, I rarely even notice setting-up. I know I do the cig snuff to a degree, but luckily it hasn't been super obnoxious or maddening.

I kinda just put my feet where the trick has worked before and send it (for lack of a better term). If it didn't work, evaluate and adjust. Though, I don't really skate all that tech, so my foot placement is not always super critical.

On the flipside, setting up for something out of my bag, I get hyper focused on foot placement. Fighting for 360 flips is my most recent example. Inner dialogue: "okay, back foot heavy in the scoop of the pocket - oops a bit deeper... okay, front foot nice and light hanging a bit heelside, shoulders square and over the board, weight centered over the back truck, okay... SCOOP" and fling it like I don't know wtf.

TLDR: muscle memory, I guess

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2023, 01:54:57 AM »
^My routine's very similar. I'm not a Nike simp but "just do it" seems to work best for all my usual stuff.

When I'm learning something new and I'm starting to get close I try to focus on no more than 3 things per attempt. I can only consciously work on so many things at the same time, so whenever I try to adhere to more than 3 cues simultaneously I tend to not execute any of them properly. With any given trick there are lots of different things I need to do in regards to front and back foot placement, shoulder movement prior to and after the snap, pop, flick, rotation, and so on. Way too much stuff to consciously think of all of it at the same time, so I break it down to 3 cues per attempt until I've got those down and then move on to the next 3. Rinse and repeat until I've got the trick on lock.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2023, 05:41:23 AM »
^My routine's very similar. I'm not a Nike simp but "just do it" seems to work best for all my usual stuff.

When I'm learning something new and I'm starting to get close I try to focus on no more than 3 things per attempt. I can only consciously work on so many things at the same time, so whenever I try to adhere to more than 3 cues simultaneously I tend to not execute any of them properly. With any given trick there are lots of different things I need to do in regards to front and back foot placement, shoulder movement prior to and after the snap, pop, flick, rotation, and so on. Way too much stuff to consciously think of all of it at the same time, so I break it down to 3 cues per attempt until I've got those down and then move on to the next 3. Rinse and repeat until I've got the trick on lock.

Three cues sounds like a lot to me, would be very distracting, I legitimately have no idea how you can do that. To me learning new tricks always has been about simplifying analytic thought process to the max (by precisely identifying what matters) and either jettisoning it completely (once my basic technique is finally rich enough to afford doing), or solely focusing it onto one single aspect and moment. Like if any cue, then there has to be just one per attempt, and only once I can achieve the desired result to a point where it starts feeling natural (which doesn't necessarily mean landing the trick, could be e.g.. just managing to consistently lock in) then I move onto the next one and build up like that. Always worked for me, got that from the Mullen ON Video interview as a kid and it just stuck as the most optimal deconstruction of the process when nerding out on 'new' stuff. 'No thinking', 'blank out' approach on the other hand is apparent Penny mindset-inspired but that's for stuff I already know how to do.

Unless you count stuff like the positioning of each foot, or going at the appropriate speed, etc. as cues which I too consider as long as it matters (and it does) but also take for granted after a while and stop seriously thinking about as steps, and more like general practical standards. Breaking down skateboarding is super tempting and yet whatever happens just in the moment always wins.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 05:55:34 AM by silhouette »

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2023, 05:46:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Three cues sounds like a lot to me, would be very distracting, I legitimately have no idea how you can do that. To me learning new tricks always has been about simplifying analytic thought process to the max (by precisely identifying what matters) and either jettisoning it completely (once my basic technique is finally rich enough to afford doing), or solely focusing it onto one single aspect and moment. Like if any cue, then there has to be just one per attempt, and only once I can achieve the desired result to a point where it starts feeling natural (which doesn't necessarily mean landing the trick, could be e.g.. just managing to consistently lock in) then I move onto the next one and build up like that. Always worked for me, got that from the Mullen ON Video interview as a kid and it just stuck as the most optimal deconstruction of the process when nerding out on 'new' stuff. 'No thinking', 'blank out' approach on the other hand is apparent Penny mindset-inspired but that's for stuff I already know how to do.

Unless you count stuff like the positioning of each foot, or going at the appropriate speed, etc. as cues which I too consider as long as it matters (and it does) but also take for granted after a while and stop seriously thinking about as steps, and more like general practical standards. Breaking down skateboarding is super tempting and yet whatever happens just in the moment always wins.

after always just being a pop, float, and stomp sort of skater with minimal change in foot position, in trying to learn 360 flips i feel like there is a massive amount of mind/body communication and proprioception necessary. Its like “ok back foot here, this far off the tail. Last three toe insertion points are pressing down with toes way off the tail. Flex back foot down/away from shin at ankle while also scooping backwards with eyes are on front foot/knee. Dont forget to jump up and let that front foot catch”

Its helpful at this point to close my eyes and watch/imagine myself doing it step by step. And, a few weeks in, i havent gotten it yet. So maybe im over thinking it it just seems like such a foreign trick to me
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind