Author Topic: New Ace AF1 *Low* announced  (Read 40575 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 853
Re: New Ace AF1 *Low* announced
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2022, 02:18:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ridiculous, 49mm is for kids. Ace, release the standard Af1 hollows in 8.75.
[close]

Exactly! I don’t have any need for a low truck (that I know of at least) but an 8.75” AF1 I’d buy immediately.
[close]

Adding my desire for a 8.75 standard AF1. Someone from Ace please view this thread and let your people know what the people actually want
[close]

Yeah… 49mm is a lil insane imo. I really just want a less
heavy ace. strongly considering just getting risers when these are released

Isn't 49 what the 0X line already were? It's a pretty standard height for a low truck, I think I have a set of rukus or something that are 47.5 but almost all my lows are right around there...even like the old pre-high/team thunder hollows were 49.5 or so. I mean regular aces are only 52.5, so what did you expect lows to be?

Also I definitely don't recommend the riser thing.. I tried it with both ventures and mini logos in the past and it's interesting but it really seems to add more delay and tippyness than anything. It also just murdered my timing when I did it on ventures. One of those things where for about 10-15 minutes you feel like a genius and then the novelty wears off and you realize you're actually an idiot and this isnt better but rather much worse.

At any rate - I honestly don't even care if they're aces I just want a truck that skates like a loose mini logo 8.38 but doesn't look like it was designed by a first grader. ML might be my favorite truck right now up until the point my board flips over and I have to look at them.

Finally, for the slappy guys, I've skated a lot of trucks around this height and I honestly think wheel size and shape makes a bigger difference than anything. Something small and fat like boardy cakes or 51mm and below conifulls are surprisingly good at "climbing" up and getting you on. Locking in definitely takes some getting used to though.

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2022, 09:11:54 AM »
The numbers go up by 11 every quarter inch so why is it 60 instead of 66?

kenjiro

« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2022, 10:50:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ridiculous, 49mm is for kids. Ace, release the standard Af1 hollows in 8.75.
[close]

Exactly! I don’t have any need for a low truck (that I know of at least) but an 8.75” AF1 I’d buy immediately.
[close]

Adding my desire for a 8.75 standard AF1. Someone from Ace please view this thread and let your people know what the people actually want
[close]

Yeah… 49mm is a lil insane imo. I really just want a less
heavy ace. strongly considering just getting risers when these are released
[close]

Isn't 49 what the 0X line already were? It's a pretty standard height for a low truck, I think I have a set of rukus or something that are 47.5 but almost all my lows are right around there...even like the old pre-high/team thunder hollows were 49.5 or so. I mean regular aces are only 52.5, so what did you expect lows to be?

Also I definitely don't recommend the riser thing.. I tried it with both ventures and mini logos in the past and it's interesting but it really seems to add more delay and tippyness than anything. It also just murdered my timing when I did it on ventures. One of those things where for about 10-15 minutes you feel like a genius and then the novelty wears off and you realize you're actually an idiot and this isnt better but rather much worse.

At any rate - I honestly don't even care if they're aces I just want a truck that skates like a loose mini logo 8.38 but doesn't look like it was designed by a first grader. ML might be my favorite truck right now up until the point my board flips over and I have to look at them.

Finally, for the slappy guys, I've skated a lot of trucks around this height and I honestly think wheel size and shape makes a bigger difference than anything. Something small and fat like boardy cakes or 51mm and below conifulls are surprisingly good at "climbing" up and getting you on. Locking in definitely takes some getting used to though.

Makes sense. I’ve never ridden low trucks and never had any interest, so anything below the 52/53 “medium” to me is way too low.

I just really want a hollow and lighter ace. So my logic behind adding risers was, “ace that is hollow, add 1/8 risers so it’s back to 53mm height”.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2022, 11:19:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Would have preferred a classic hollow. Oh well, from the look of things ace is gonna be pushing the AF1 design. I’d expect an ace af1 hollow before a classic.

Also who the hell wants a 49 mm tall truck
[close]
Plenty of my friends who are close to their 50’s and still want to skate street and flip their boards :D 
Setups I see mostly are 8” or below with low trucks and around 50mm wheels so maybe I’m just stuck in the past  ;)

Yeah I’m 30 but I’m from those days too where lows ruled the market and we all skated 7.8 biggest, the 8.25 of the day and 8” were considered 8.5

So all that aside im wayyyyyyyy down for these af1 lows to the max, shut up and take my money ace

I tried the af1 regular, idk too heavy and tall for me and im on a 7.8

The classics were solid hence why I tried the af1 but man that 1mm increase in height hit me like the classic wheel  dynamic going from a 52mm wheel to a 53mm wheel and you gotta adjust your whole style
yes

Frank and Fred

« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2022, 06:17:14 PM »

bc Af1 55s are 8.5, 66s are 8.75" . 60 splits the difference.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2022, 08:49:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

bc Af1 55s are 8.5, 66s are 8.75" . 60 splits the difference.
But there's no difference to be split. It says the 60 is 8.75

Frank and Fred

« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2022, 08:55:38 PM »
Yes  ::)

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2022, 08:57:37 PM »
all this company had to do was make a truck in between the 44 and the 55 because both of them dont really fit on an 8.5. could've just did an 8.62 truck and called it a day.

256 Ply

• Rep: 22
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2022, 09:22:47 PM »

66s are designated for 9" wide axles in the rest of the line, so they had to shoehorn in the 60.

This is what you get when you use made up model numbers instead of measurement numbers 🤷‍♂️

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1097
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2022, 06:36:00 AM »
So for the people excited about this - what is offered by this truck which isn't offered by the Classic Low? Just the standard AF1 updates?

NGL I don't geek out enough about skating to think about "low vs high" trucks (please don't ban me). What are the specific advantages offered by a low truck, for someone who has pretty much always just bought standard Indys.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LebowskisRug

« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2022, 06:58:58 AM »
Tail hits faster so it pops faster, pinch is usually really good cuz truck travels less for wheel to hit deck, often times tech people like them since they flip quicker, but mostly people are just used to the height like you are your standard Indy’s.

I always thought boards should scale up in all proportions as size of the deck increases. If you skate an 8 and below then riding a 55mm truck and 54+ wheels is pretty tall feeling and not really proportionate as that setup would be with an 8.5.

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2022, 07:12:03 AM »
I'm 6'5" and clumsy as hell so I really don't like tall and tippy feeling set ups. I need all the help I can get.  The tail hitting quicker helps me keep myself in check and in control too, otherwise I end up trying to do too much with my long legs.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1097
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2022, 07:18:19 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Do you low truck skaters already skate the Ace Lows? I ask because I literally don't think I have ever seen anyone skate them, so I want to know why you would start now.

I really ask because I have a new 8" deck I picked up from a thrift store and those Ace 03s are like $26/pair on sale at Skate Warehouse, so I am wondering if it's worth it to try something new instead of digging up some crusty 139s.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2022, 08:58:32 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Do you low truck skaters already skate the Ace Lows? I ask because I literally don't think I have ever seen anyone skate them, so I want to know why you would start now.

I really ask because I have a new 8" deck I picked up from a thrift store and those Ace 03s are like $26/pair on sale at Skate Warehouse, so I am wondering if it's worth it to try something new instead of digging up some crusty 139s.

I haven’t skated the 03s. And I’ll probably not get these, as I’m pretty dedicated to skating ventures. That being said, low trucks are fun, for me: I like the quicker pop, especially as I’m old, dusty, stiff, tired, etc. That is by far my main reason for sticking with lows. There is a tradition element, as lows were the truck of the day, when I did my best skating.
For your setup: be ok with skating wheels 53 or less (main drawback and the reason why I setup different boards, skating distances on shitty ground with 50s…is a vibe, that sucks). Reduced turning radius.
Enjoy quicker/easier pop. Better pinch. Lower center of gravity. And I’m able to skate longer: low/small setups don’t bother my ligaments like boats do.
I like classics over af1s, on the standard height, and would probably get the 03s over the af1s.
Tom, on here, skated the 03s for a bit.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2022, 11:57:19 AM »
I tried lows and in a straight line, cool, but the wheelbite sucked if you wanna turn.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2022, 07:24:43 PM »
I tried the 03, idk the quality on the them is iffy

They’re not bad but they just don’t have the low truck stability and they’re a bit too low for that looseness ace has

It was mainly the kingpin and odd bushing size that pushed me away

I can’t tighten them to my liking or else the threads are crazy sticking and I tried swapping in bone hards and the geo got all weird

But I’m definitely gonna try these new af1 lows hands down, no doubt about it
yes

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2022, 08:56:28 PM »
I tried lows and in a straight line, cool, but the wheelbite sucked if you wanna turn.

I’m not trying to pick on you.
But this lows don’t turn…not true. If you put really large wheels on a regular height truck, you also would not be able to turn, due to wheelbite. I’ve found the same to be true with low trucks: if I put 50 mm wheels and a flat top washer on my venture lo’s, I can turn more than I want.
Which brings me to…where is everyone going with these turns? Pools? Makes sense. Slalom, ditto. But just regular street stuff? I’m a judgmental asshole, and hope everyone does their own thing, but…fuck i could really do with a lot less turning in skating. Too much extra 

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2022, 11:40:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

But this lows don’t turn…not true. If you put really large wheels on a regular height truck, you also would not be able to turn, due to wheelbite. I’ve found the same to be true with low trucks: if I put 50 mm wheels and a flat top washer on my venture lo’s, I can turn more than I want.
Which brings me to…where is everyone going with these turns? Pools? Makes sense. Slalom, ditto. But just regular street stuff? I’m a judgmental asshole, and hope everyone does their own thing, but…fuck i could really do with a lot less turning in skating. Too much extra
yeah this needs to stop
priotizing turning (all trucks do this) for street skaters is silly
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

chris.

« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2022, 05:44:01 AM »
Because turning is fun? What an odd take.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2022, 06:29:03 AM »

Turning is super fun! If I only cared about the turn, I’d skate ace classics. Some days I just want to carve around. And I do.
For me, I have more fun, turning some, but landing more tricks/being able to skate longer. Lows help me with that.
I was pointing out that lows can turn,  in my opinion, enough. Never looked at any number of parts from the era I hold dear, due to my old age, and thought: ‘fuck I really wish Guy could turn more in his mouse part…’
Or in more recent times: ‘Yuto is good, can’t turn tho’. Trucks are some weird witches brew of maths that effect many different aspects of skating. I don’t like putting all my eggs in one basket, so to speak, with turning being the only, or even main criteria, for the skating I try and do (mainly flatground, cruising around the streets).
My shitty comment about the more turning…I felt like I qualified this, to each their own, obviously, but I, personally, am not a fan of the extra sauce wriggling about that ensues with all of this turning capability. It looks so contrived. We as skaters have overcorrected from tight trucks, imo. A tic tac here or there would be a welcome relief, compared to all of the slow speed safe hands silliness caused by loose trucks. And do not get me started about those with ‘the loosest trucks’. No. Just get a unicycle. You as well Daewon.
Again, I would expect/hope no one would give a shit about my opinion. I shared it because I’m old and cranky, and sharing opinions somewhat anonymously on these boards is amusing, for me.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2022, 06:31:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I often do u turns skating at the local spot. With 51’s and medium tightness I’d bottom out and bite. I’m 165lbs for reference

chris.

« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2022, 06:48:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Turning is super fun! If I only cared about the turn, I’d skate ace classics. Some days I just want to carve around. And I do.
For me, I have more fun, turning some, but landing more tricks/being able to skate longer. Lows help me with that.
I was pointing out that lows can turn,  in my opinion, enough. Never looked at any number of parts from the era I hold dear, due to my old age, and thought: ‘fuck I really wish Guy could turn more in his mouse part…’
Or in more recent times: ‘Yuto is good, can’t turn tho’. Trucks are some weird witches brew of maths that effect many different aspects of skating. I don’t like putting all my eggs in one basket, so to speak, with turning being the only, or even main criteria, for the skating I try and do (mainly flatground, cruising around the streets).
My shitty comment about the more turning…I felt like I qualified this, to each their own, obviously, but I, personally, am not a fan of the extra sauce wriggling about that ensues with all of this turning capability. It looks so contrived. We as skaters have overcorrected from tight trucks, imo. A tic tac here or there would be a welcome relief, compared to all of the slow speed safe hands silliness caused by loose trucks. And do not get me started about those with ‘the loosest trucks’. No. Just get a unicycle. You as well Daewon.
Again, I would expect/hope no one would give a shit about my opinion. I shared it because I’m old and cranky, and sharing opinions somewhat anonymously on these boards is amusing, for me.

I'm pretty much with you.  I'm in full support of low trucks and will be buying these because I'm stoked to have a low truck in a wider size. I like when wheels get worn down to sub 50mm so that's a trade-off I'm more than happy to make.  Speaking of "weird witches brew of math" I actually land more tricks (flip tricks included) and skate better with Ace Classics at stock tightness than on a tighter truck, everyone has what works for them ya know?  And I like Ace Classics because they're lower compared to the other major brands. When it comes to passing judgement on how other's skating looks I mostly agree with you too - someone spouting that Yuto take is foolish and I have no problem seeing a Philly head hit a little tic tac in a line, but along those same lines I think clowning on Max or Daewon for being on the other end of the spectrum is a little silly too. Anyway - thanks for the well thought out response and I'm under-caffeinated and trying to keep an eye on my 9 month old so hopefully i don't sound like an idiot.

All that being said I'm skating Venture Hi's and 54mm wheels right now. Alright time to pay attention to my spawn.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2022, 08:57:09 AM »
Turning not only is fun but it also makes skateboarding easier in my opinion.
If you have trucks with a limited turning you always need to land with precision or tic-tac your way out, and with actual turning trucks you can lean your way out of some sketchy landed tricks.
It’s not the first time I got away with landing a backtail almost 90 degree sideways but carved my way out of it. That wouldn’t work with non turning trucks.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2191
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2022, 01:25:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
yeah this needs to stop
…presented without comment.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

chris.

« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2022, 02:33:15 PM »
^^^^ it me

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2022, 10:28:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
yeah this needs to stop
[close]
…presented without comment.

But Jason dill told all of us in his transworld part it’s not a sport and there’s no professionals

It’s an art, and my art is to tic tac

Turning is cool and all, max, Jesse, and mango look cool but I’m still hands down with yuto, old joslin, and westgate

I wanna be able to get a good stable high pop without having to precisely focus the ball of my feet to keep myself stable at speed and pop

If you can do it your a better skater than me but I suck and I’m from a lost time when cupsoles and blank/shop 7.5 decks sold out because skating was becoming cool again and everyone who didn’t skate wore dc’s and dgk cause skater style is in

Enough of my reminiscing, I can’t wait for these new ace lows

Currently pulling a nostalgia setup and got some krux k5 on a 7.75 and these k5 are honestly nice, I’m gonna say it though, I think they’re just the old geometry from the days they were poppin with the wood, diamond, and polka dot graphics I think stage 3 Krux.

if these new ones are the k5 then the previous terrible version is the k4 and the ones from us old guys years with Louie diamond krux is the k3 when Silas, Louie, Cairo, caswell and cannon rocked them and it was a battle between krux, royals, silver and destructo for who has the more innovative cool truck with the best team

Indy, thunder and venture was for the cool guys who didn’t care and just got hooked up by the shop or what not and just had the best stuff

Yep, good ole days riding lows and 52 was a common wheel size but cool guys rode venture lo 5.0 with 50mm wheels on a plan b or girl deck with bones reds cause reds are the best and those shields better be popped cause the louder the bearing the better

Now you kids got your 8.25-8.75 primitive and deluxe or fa decks with ace, Indy, thunder, venture hi 149-6.0 trucks kingpin nut barely flush on the threads no washers and 56mm formula fours bombing hills and destroying your local skatepark on a daily in hip dickies mc hammer pants

Anyways I suck and that’s my rant
yes

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 985
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2022, 12:35:42 PM »
ACE Insta says 'spring'

So that really means 'summer'

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2022, 09:00:53 PM »
ACE Insta says 'spring'

So that really means 'summer'

Of next year  ;)

thps4

• Rep: 2
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2022, 09:42:14 AM »
My assumption is that 60s and standard hollow kingpins are on their way and they're just lumping the R&D for that into the AF1 Low's budget. I'm sure it'll be coming to the standards around the same time.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2022, 11:36:30 AM »
I’ve been told by an Ace pro that you’ll be able to mix and match low and high to create a mid. This same pro also told me that the washer digs into the hanger a lot, the pop is super light, and that Trahan is filming for their release.