Author Topic: Tony Hawk's Son Is Dating Kurt Cobain's Daughter  (Read 27661 times)

Easy Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
Re: Tony Hawk's Son Is Dating Kurt Cobain's Daughter
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2022, 12:41:13 AM »
Expand Quote
I will never forget when 14 yo me listened to the weekly rock show on the radio on Wednesday evening (the only time they played heavy rock music on the radio) and they played Smells Like Teen Spirit and Breed from Nevermind that had just came out. I was literally blown away, in particular by Breed. That was something completely new and I just felt I was witnessing something big. The second time this happened was when I listened to the RATM debut album a year later. Those two records changed the musical landscape for years to come. Most heavy/thrash metal bands either switched to grunge and/or what was to become Nu Metal or they just disappeared. Of course that sucked but I still love both Nevermind and the RATM s/t.

What does this have to do with the topic of this thread? Not much I guess. Sorry.
[close]
It was a time and a place. I catch myself talking about them like old burnouts talk about zeppelin.

Nirvana was a huge cultural shift. Single hand-idly killed rock ballads and most of the other bullshit at the time.

I was lucky enough to see nirvana(with the butthole surfers) and RATM at lollapalooza before i hit high school.

Wow. It must have been so dope seeing those bands at Loolapalooza as a young dude. 
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2022, 04:14:43 AM »
Expand Quote
I will never forget when 14 yo me listened to the weekly rock show on the radio on Wednesday evening (the only time they played heavy rock music on the radio) and they played Smells Like Teen Spirit and Breed from Nevermind that had just came out. I was literally blown away, in particular by Breed. That was something completely new and I just felt I was witnessing something big. The second time this happened was when I listened to the RATM debut album a year later. Those two records changed the musical landscape for years to come. Most heavy/thrash metal bands either switched to grunge and/or what was to become Nu Metal or they just disappeared. Of course that sucked but I still love both Nevermind and the RATM s/t.

What does this have to do with the topic of this thread? Not much I guess. Sorry.
[close]
It was a time and a place. I catch myself talking about them like old burnouts talk about zeppelin.

Nirvana was a huge cultural shift. Single hand-idly killed rock ballads and most of the other bullshit at the time.

I was lucky enough to see nirvana(with the butthole surfers) and RATM at lollapalooza before i hit high school.

takes like this are always interesting to me because i remember reading an interview when i was like 14 with Ian Mackaye and he was asked whether he liked touring in the days of Minor Threat or Fugazi more.  he said that back when he was doing the MT thing, you could go to alabama and the kids would look and act this way and then the next day be in aexas or california or where ever and every place had its own certain style. Then MTV came out and nirvana got famous and all of a sudden it was cool to be a weirdo and wearing flannels became acceptable. 

i don't really feel strongly one way or the other towards nirvana and don't really get the excessive love or hate, espeically from younger people
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

ra the weak man

• Rep: -51
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2022, 06:00:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

takes like this are always interesting to me because i remember reading an interview when i was like 14 with Ian Mackaye and he was asked whether he liked touring in the days of Minor Threat or Fugazi more.  he said that back when he was doing the MT thing, you could go to alabama and the kids would look and act this way and then the next day be in aexas or california or where ever and every place had its own certain style. Then MTV came out and nirvana got famous and all of a sudden it was cool to be a weirdo and wearing flannels became acceptable. 

i don't really feel strongly one way or the other towards nirvana and don't really get the excessive love or hate, espeically from younger people
also i'd say record company and media execs pushed the alternative stuff way more than kids naturally gravitated to alternative music. nirvana wasn't the most original band [the pixies comparison for instance] but they were force fed to everyone. and 'alternative nation' so we'd accept 'alternative lifestyles'. it's all contrived. from beatlemania to grunge 'killing hair metal'.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2022, 06:25:46 AM »
Expand Quote
i like nirvana.
[close]
do you have any proof of that

no, plz just trust me

dannyprovolone

« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2022, 06:32:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i like nirvana.
[close]
[close]

no, plz just trust me

Have you even dated kurts daughter?

manysnakes

« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2022, 06:40:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was a wittle kid when nirvana was on tv and stuff, so maybe because “grunge” music was already defined I found them super boring. They were always on the radio

Seems like they’re becoming popular with younger kids again although it could just be the shirt that’s cool. Anyway I tried to listen to them recently and they’re even more trash than I remember. If anyone can recommend one decent song they did thanks
[close]

cool dude
[close]

What’s your favorite nirvana song?
[close]

[close]

They sound straight out of a Capri-sun commercial  to me. I’m 90% sure I’ve heard that exact drum beat in a fruit roll ups ad. Nirvana is a parody of themselves. He sounds like a disgruntled tractor trailer driver who smokes a pack of cigs a day and drinks a pot of coffee.
[close]

Uhh, that song is a The Wipers cover and it's quite close to the original too, despite being a radio session recording. So that drum beat comment is a bit asinine

(And to add, the Wipers is pretty much the greatest, one of those bands that could be your life.)
[close]
nirvana has some of the simplest drum beats ever

Look at this musicologist!

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2022, 06:53:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i like nirvana.
[close]
[close]

no, plz just trust me
[close]

Have you even dated kurts daughter?

no :(

she's cute tho, she looks like blonde audrey horne.

manysnakes

« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2022, 07:20:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The way the story gets told over and over again, it's made to seem like Nirvana just organically emerged and replaced hair metal on the top of the charts. By 1990, rock music was dead - the best selling "rock" albums that year were Midnight Oil (cool, good), Jimmy Barnes (who?), and Roxette (lol). The truth is that the gas was out of the tank on the genre, and the only survivor was going to be G&R. Record companies found something else, which they knew "rock fans" broadly would enjoy and which they could use to wash the taste of Aqua Net out of the public's mouth.

Nirvana got a big record deal, recorded in a real studio with an important, young music producer, and received an even marketing bigger push from the label. They were not some plucky upstart who were hand-mailing their homemade demos to radio stations until they got a hit, they are the result of a concerted effort by some of the biggest names in the music industry to introduce a new style of rock in order to replace one which was stagnant and failing. That's not to take anything away from them, because that's how success in the music industry typically works, and the music stands up pretty well, even if I was never a huge fan.

rukes

• Rep: 221
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2022, 11:53:22 AM »
Jimmy Barnes is a goddamn national treasure in Australia you realise?
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

Brguy

« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2022, 12:36:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

The way the story gets told over and over again, it's made to seem like Nirvana just organically emerged and replaced hair metal on the top of the charts. By 1990, rock music was dead - the best selling "rock" albums that year were Midnight Oil (cool, good), Jimmy Barnes (who?), and Roxette (lol). The truth is that the gas was out of the tank on the genre, and the only survivor was going to be G&R. Record companies found something else, which they knew "rock fans" broadly would enjoy and which they could use to wash the taste of Aqua Net out of the public's mouth.

Nirvana got a big record deal, recorded in a real studio with an important, young music producer, and received an even marketing bigger push from the label. They were not some plucky upstart who were hand-mailing their homemade demos to radio stations until they got a hit, they are the result of a concerted effort by some of the biggest names in the music industry to introduce a new style of rock in order to replace one which was stagnant and failing. That's not to take anything away from them, because that's how success in the music industry typically works, and the music stands up pretty well, even if I was never a huge fan.
Ironically Metal was still on the rise by then, right? Like the early death/thrash bands were the ones mailing cassetes and by the 90s Death was releasing Human and Pantera was coming up hard.

SATIVA HYBRID

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2022, 12:49:13 PM »
i saw this thread a few days ago and thought "who fucking cares?" and just now realized if they have a child they will have the craziest dna makeup of all time, most likely along with a huge ego (not even trying to be a hater just being realistic)
only hoe i love is popeyes
i put my dick in the drumstick

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2022, 01:55:52 PM »
If they had a boy, I hope they name it Kurt Hawk
If a girl - Courtney Hawk

Marv

• Rep: 98
« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2022, 12:17:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nirvana never played lollapalooza 😘

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 455
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2022, 01:22:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Oh wow, hanging out with Riley’s Dad already

[close]

Whoever took this photo probably felt pretty awkward during the trip.

Good for her, Riley seems like a chill guy.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2022, 03:21:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah. They were slated to play in ‘94, but Kurt’s problems made them miss it, and instead a lesser-known band called Green Day filled in for them.

RATM didn’t play that year either, if I recall.

It was Smashing Pumpkins, Beastie Boys, the Breeders, A Tribe Called Quest, Gearge Clinton, Nick Cave, and others.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Hefe43

• Rep: 175
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2022, 12:03:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah. They were slated to play in ‘94, but Kurt’s problems made them miss it, and instead a lesser-known band called Green Day filled in for them.

RATM didn’t play that year either, if I recall.

It was Smashing Pumpkins, Beastie Boys, the Breeders, A Tribe Called Quest, Gearge Clinton, Nick Cave, and others.

I love Gearge Clinton
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2022, 12:16:09 PM »
This makes perfect sense to me.
Imagine a family gathering! Tony and Courtney !

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2022, 12:18:03 PM »
This makes perfect sense to me.
Imagine a family gathering! Tony and Courtney !

"I am *strum strum strum strum* doll parts" - Courtney
*snacks on bagel bites* - Tony

cky enthusiast

« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2022, 02:03:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

“then who the hell were those guys”

Pinkgravy

• Rep: 4
« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2022, 05:08:11 PM »
People love to rewrite that old history lesson that Nirvana killed hair metal, and everyone became grunge, but the truth is that the early 90s just had a ton of rad shit coming out all the time, I was pretty early on the Nirvana train as an 11 year old,I got the cassette dubbed with fudge tunnel on the other side.body count,fugaziseasons in the abyss,Cypress hill, tribe called quest I could go on and on.the first 3or 4 years of the 90s were a mini golden age, especially for music and skateboarding and I'm not just saying that cause I'm old.everybody I've talked to about this, including my mom agrees with me.new shit that was actually rad was coming out left and right

gub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #140 on: January 12, 2022, 08:24:54 PM »
Youre just saying that so that you can sell a gang of early 90s cds

Pinkgravy

• Rep: 4
« Reply #141 on: January 13, 2022, 02:33:43 AM »
Haha no, I never liked CD's.loved cassettes because I'm pretty rough with my stuff and what CDs I did have turned to crap in a year or two,I still have a couple cassettes from the late 80s.also I'm happy for Francis because that last Kurt Cobain impersonator she dated from that shitty band was a grade a skeevosa .the Hawks are sitcom level wholesome,I bet that they make regular family Jamba juice trips

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #142 on: January 13, 2022, 04:42:53 AM »
Riley’s Sabbath Guy vibe has been suck outta him

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2022, 05:38:17 AM »
Riley’s Sabbath Guy vibe has been suck outta him

Riley on GRuNGe

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #144 on: January 13, 2022, 06:08:43 AM »
Cool story but weird as fuck, is this a part of the illuminati plan ?

conqueso

« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2022, 06:13:30 AM »
Cool story but weird as fuck, is this a part of the illuminati plan ?

yes

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2022, 08:39:49 AM »
kirk cobain ruled.

Highonangeldust

• Rep: 631
« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2022, 09:54:48 AM »

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2022, 10:22:51 AM »
Ha, gottem

cky enthusiast

« Reply #149 on: January 13, 2022, 10:25:48 AM »
the 1% ensuring the money stays within the ruling class. disgusting