Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 202157 times)

GBLange

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3450 on: June 06, 2023, 12:14:49 AM »
Just curious; does anyone else use shoe trees to help break in their shoes?

I got a pair of Adidas Samba ADVs and they definitely needed breaking in as they hurt my feet. I put beech shoe tress in them for a day or two and now they feel broken in, fit better, and more comfortable. I've done this with the Vans Lizzie before, but I think the effects were less pronounced since vulcs feel mostly broken in already.

i do..coz i got wide feet..

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #3451 on: June 06, 2023, 02:04:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Just curious; does anyone else use shoe trees to help break in their shoes?

I got a pair of Adidas Samba ADVs and they definitely needed breaking in as they hurt my feet. I put beech shoe tress in them for a day or two and now they feel broken in, fit better, and more comfortable. I've done this with the Vans Lizzie before, but I think the effects were less pronounced since vulcs feel mostly broken in already.
[close]

i do..coz i got wide feet..

I should get on this.
What I do now, is put a ziplock bag full of water inside the shoe, and pop it in the freezer overnight. But that’s always a bit of a hassle.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #3452 on: June 06, 2023, 02:17:09 PM »
Anyone skated the Li-ning Ellingtons? How are they?

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -453
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #3453 on: June 06, 2023, 04:34:34 PM »
How tight do vert guys run their trucks?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3454 on: June 06, 2023, 05:00:10 PM »
@yourbreakfsat Curious how you like the Samba compared to a 440?

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3455 on: June 06, 2023, 06:42:26 PM »

I don't plan on skating the Sambas, but fit and comfort wise I personally find it superior.

The fit is snug and narrow, which I personally like since it makes the shoe feels very secure to my feet. I find the 440s to have a lot of room in them, so much so that I could probably go down half a size like Converse.

The Samba insole is superior in everyway; it's not a useless strip of foam that moves around in the shoe like the 440. I also like the arch support the Sambas (and Adidas in general) have. It's still a thin insole though, so most of the comfort comes from the mid/outsole which I find gets the job done.

I find that the Sambas are a thin cupsole though, so something like the Adidas Tyshawns and Nike SB Dunks are going to have much more cushion.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3456 on: June 06, 2023, 09:29:40 PM »
Ah thanks for the reply! I found the stock insole to be pretty minimal in the Sambas and would run my Superfeet in them but the fit is definitely more close to foot. I'll probably try some to skate soon. I've been told that the normal model skates and lasts very similar too.

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #3457 on: June 07, 2023, 02:40:28 AM »
Black pants with white and gum shoes, whack or cool?

I'm not sure. If the shoes were all white then it's okay but the gum outsole is throwing me off of a bit.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3458 on: June 07, 2023, 03:38:24 AM »
I've been skating 808 for the last 6 months or so but I'm tempted of trying 306, any comments on those?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 173
« Reply #3459 on: June 07, 2023, 06:15:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone use any other brands of replacement pivot cups in Venture baseplates?  I’m trying to figure out what would fit properly. 

I have Riptides in there now which have completely blown apart in like a month of skating.  Not trying to go down that road again.  I wish I kept the original Venture pivot cups from this set but they seem to have disappeared… I was looking at options and it seems like Indy and Ace sell replacement pivot cups but not many other brands.  Thanks!
[close]
Deluxe makes replacement pivot cups. I got a set that worked perfectly in my Thunders but can't speak how well they would fit in Ventures. Doesn't look like the big online stores carry it (SkateWarehouse, Tactics, etc) but my local has them: https://www.cowtownskateboards.com/skateboarding/parts/bushings/deluxe/super-cush-pivot-cup-pid-13607
[close]

Yeah they look like they are the ones I get and they work well in Indy, Thunder and Venture.

They come as is, no marketing, pack or anything and I get a few at a time when I see them here in AU.
[close]

Do you think Ace is a bad idea, a lot of people rave about them.
[close]

I don't really have any experience with fixing Ace trucks, besides grinding down the kinpgin on one set, the other sets I have are still fine, nothing needed in the fix department.

I do recall others saying the Ace pivot cups are a different size, but haven't even looked to be honest.  AF1 are smaller, but Classic might be pretty much the same generic size as everything else, but I just don't know.

The one set of aftermarket set of Ace pivot cups I have at the indoor park shop hasn't been touched since the day I put them in the cabinet, so I should go have a look at them.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone use any other brands of replacement pivot cups in Venture baseplates?  I’m trying to figure out what would fit properly. 
[close]

I blew out the pivot cups in my old pair of ventures. I went down to the local and all they had were modus pivot cups. I got them and they surprisingly fit really well and I had no dramas with them at all. They lasted the remainder of the truck life. Paid 1$ each from memory
[close]

Modus pivot cups are another good one - were they blue or black that you got?  We just don't really see them often here, even though they are an Aussie brand, but they were another one that seemed to have a bag of them so people could buy as many as they wanted from that.  Then next lot that came in were the same as the DLX ones, black this time not blue, so I guess anyone could be bringing them in and saying they were from brand X or whatever.

Here is an old stock image of some, from a shop based in the same state as where they come from:

https://www.starsurf.com.au/products/modus-pivot-cups-for-trucks

They were the blue ones, exactly as pictured. Got them from Beyond skate in perth roughly 6months ago

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #3460 on: June 07, 2023, 10:28:49 AM »
how long until F4's are $50 a set?

some shops already have them priced close to $45 which is completely ridiculous

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3461 on: June 07, 2023, 10:56:24 AM »

Here in Czech Republic they're like $59
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3462 on: June 07, 2023, 11:05:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Here in Czech Republic they're like $59

i just paid $65 CAD for them which is close to 50 USD ( that was with all taxes in)
I have seen some places selling them for $72 before tax though.

https://www.zumiez.ca/spitfire-formula-four-classic-black-white-54mm-99a-skateboard-wheels.html
ONTARIO CANADA

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3463 on: June 07, 2023, 12:08:25 PM »
Inflation isn't going to magically stop so.... not long. It's natural. If you ever wanna feel fucked go enter the items from your grocery bill into a CPI calculator set to like 1990.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #3464 on: June 07, 2023, 12:11:19 PM »
Inflation isn't going to magically stop so.... not long. It's natural. If you ever wanna feel fucked go enter the items from your grocery bill into a CPI calculator set to like 1990.

I prefer to blame the fatcats at DLX.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #3465 on: June 07, 2023, 01:08:14 PM »

Samba ADV is almost like a slipper fit; very trim, molds to your foot shape well, fast flick break-in (probably at the cost of some durability), and fantastic boardfeel. Elastic keeps the tongue centered and snug if you like that. There’s usually enough room to swap in a slightly thicker insole depending on your foot as well.

Personally I find myself feeling a bit “exposed” skating a bigger board in them, like the feeling of skating barefoot or in socks, but otherwise I really like ’em.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3466 on: June 07, 2023, 06:25:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I prefer to blame the fatcats at DLX.

Ha yeah, like "Damn it Jim!  Why can't you stop Frank taking all the profits and bumping up the price of everything, just so DLX can make ends meet?!?"

* Prices of wheels and everything else is going to keep going up no matter what happens.  Enjoy it while you can, or stock up when you see sales or discounts, so you can still keep riding exactly what you want.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3467 on: June 08, 2023, 01:15:10 AM »
I'm utterly tempted to try those swear white/green Alexis shoes but I'm terrified since I've been only skating 808 for the last months. Anybody tried both?
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #3468 on: June 08, 2023, 01:28:14 AM »

You guys are crybabies, they’re $79 many places in Europe. Stock up if you think prices are going to rise further, or look elsewhere for wheels.

Edit: maybe a bit harsh. Sorry. But I foresee them breaking a 100 even in 2 years.

But yeah stock up with current prices, or buy used if available.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #3469 on: June 08, 2023, 11:33:50 AM »
do pro's still get a cut when their boards go on sale?

Fooj

• Rep: 180
« Reply #3470 on: June 08, 2023, 11:37:18 AM »
I've been skating 808 for the last 6 months or so but I'm tempted of trying 306, any comments on those?

I havent skated 808s but ive gone through 5 pairs of 306 and 1 pair of 1010. All i hear is the 808s are thicker and more narrow than 1010s, if that's the case then you're really going from one extreme to the other. The 306 sole isnt the thinnest vulc sole but it breaks in pretty easy, doesnt last super long though. I always wear the sole flat before the suede rips.  Also imo the 306s fit pretty wide, my feet love the fit.

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #3471 on: June 08, 2023, 11:48:01 AM »
do pro's still get a cut when their boards go on sale?
How do the brands operate?
Do they sell to distributors/shops or they give them on consignment and get paid later when the sales are done?

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #3472 on: June 09, 2023, 05:01:30 AM »
Has anyone skated rollerblading wheels? I think they use the same bearings than in skateboards? How was it?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #3473 on: June 09, 2023, 06:26:59 AM »
What are the baggiest regular carhartts? NOT the WIP. 

I got a pair of deadstock US-made double knee canvas pants, and I really like the cut.

Looking for something similar in size, but thinner/single knee
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

IpathCats

« Reply #3474 on: June 09, 2023, 07:44:12 AM »
What are the baggiest regular carhartts? NOT the WIP. 

I got a pair of deadstock US-made double knee canvas pants, and I really like the cut.

Looking for something similar in size, but thinner/single knee

Their loose fit is the baggiest fit they offer on standard stuff.

IpathCats

« Reply #3475 on: June 09, 2023, 07:45:55 AM »
 Can anyone comment on the fit of the "regular fit" shirts/polos from polar.

I know it sounds silly and is probably TTS, I just know a lot of their stuff looks kinda baggy in the wild. Idk if people are just buying a size up or what.

I wear an XL shirt/top usually. I just don't want this polo to be gigantic on accident.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 596
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3476 on: June 09, 2023, 08:10:46 AM »
Has anyone skated rollerblading wheels? I think they use the same bearings than in skateboards? How was it?

The bearings are the same. But there are a lot of different rollerblade wheels. The guys in my local have large but slim wheels. They feel insanely soft and I can't imagine that these wheels will fit on skateboard trucks.
But there are definitely other rollerblade wheels which can fit on a skateboard. But why should we do that? ^^
IG: @flowterspace

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3477 on: June 10, 2023, 03:58:59 PM »
What is the logic behind shovel nose decks? Seems like they're harder to flick and you don't see that many ledge skaters on em so it's not more slide room

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3478 on: June 10, 2023, 06:02:39 PM »
What is the logic behind shovel nose decks? Seems like they're harder to flick and you don't see that many ledge skaters on em so it's not more slide room

Might not be the only reason, but T Mo made a shovel shape board so he could actually shovel out the spots he skated, often drains or other places like "under the bridge" DIY types that accumulate rubbish and it was easier to have a shovel on the end of your skateboard than bring a shovel to the spot, then just bang it off and go skate.

I don't recall him doing a whole lot of nose variations in clips or anything, but that seems to be what worked for him.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #3479 on: June 11, 2023, 02:17:55 AM »

I've skated some "shovel-like" noses and there's definitely more stable slide surface area from it. However, the "harder to flick" determines on the steepness of the kick paired with a person's technique. I have an aggressive flick and shovel noses flicked quite well most of the time. Save for the occasional whiff because it was too much for my tired legs on some sessions.

Anyways, I think the tech skaters gravitate to smaller size boards where you see shovel far less frequently.  Shovels are usually seen on 8.25 + from my personal observation.
Super Champion Fun Zone