Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216609 times)

Rattus Localis

Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #300 on: February 26, 2022, 11:36:28 PM »
^^^^ Awesome, thanks for the tip. I'm gonna give it a go.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #301 on: February 27, 2022, 07:17:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Do lightweight models of trucks make more or less of a difference at greater widths? I found online that a 129 Indy Hollow weighs 334g while the Standard weighs 377g, so about 11% weight savings, but what about at the larger sizes? I haven't seen those weights available.
[close]

I feel with larger sizes you notice the benefits more
[close]

Well, 11% of more is more, but the the question is whether it will make a perceptible difference in a setup? I’m gonna say since hardware weight - bearings, bolts, bushings, bearings -is fixed, the lightweights might bring a bigger setup into a more normal weight range.

If I’m skating something ‘my size’ (8” and under), weight doesn’t matter. 5.0 venture lo’s, weigh more than titanium indy 159s. Trippy.
When the setup gets larger, I super notice the weight. I don’t know if it’s weight or size/leverage angles? That make skating a larger (normal) sized setup difficult for me.
Now I’m looking at titanium Indy’s, even tho I’m not really an indy person. Great.

manysnakes

« Reply #302 on: February 27, 2022, 08:00:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Do lightweight models of trucks make more or less of a difference at greater widths? I found online that a 129 Indy Hollow weighs 334g while the Standard weighs 377g, so about 11% weight savings, but what about at the larger sizes? I haven't seen those weights available.
[close]

[close]

Well, 11% of more is more, but the the question is whether it will make a perceptible difference in a setup? I’m gonna say since hardware weight - bearings, bolts, bushings, bearings -is fixed, the lightweights might bring a bigger setup into a more normal weight range.

I have Indy titanium 159s and I always forget how great these trucks are until I skate regular 159s and feel how heavy and clunky they are. You absolutely can notice the difference between the lightweight and heavier trucks at the larger end of truck sizes, where the more material starts to represent a larger and larger percentage of the overall weight.

I’m not sure I’ll buy another pair (I got these slightly used for $40, and I would never pay retail), but if you don’t mind the cost, it’s an appreciably better trucks imo.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #303 on: February 27, 2022, 08:08:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I have Indy titanium 159s and I always forget how great these trucks are until I skate regular 159s and feel how heavy and clunky they are. You absolutely can notice the difference between the lightweight and heavier trucks at the larger end of truck sizes, where the more material starts to represent a larger and larger percentage of the overall weight.

I’m not sure I’ll buy another pair (I got these slightly used for $40, and I would never pay retail), but if you don’t mind the cost, it’s an appreciably better trucks imo.

But does it ‘unlock’ anything or just ‘feel’ better?
Riding a big board is fun and all, until the ligaments in the backs of my knees, ligaments in ankles, and hips get sore as hell trying to flop the boat around. Most of this is due to me being an old, out of shape person, that skated sporadically.
All I’m saying is do you notice any actual, ahem, performance benefits? Like can you tre with the lights, but not the regulars? Cuz if that’s the case, I’ll pay double fucking retail.
It’s easy to not care, when you can’t see the finish line.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #304 on: February 27, 2022, 08:21:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Riding a big board is fun and all, until the ligaments in the backs of my knees, ligaments in ankles, and hips get sore as hell trying to flop the boat around. Most of this is due to me being an old, out of shape person, that skated sporadically.
All I’m saying is do you notice any actual, ahem, performance benefits? Like can you tre with the lights, but not the regulars? Cuz if that’s the case, I’ll pay double fucking retail.

I can’t say that lighter trucks “unlock” tricks for me (I can’t consistently tre on any set up) but I ride 8.5 or up and having the Lighter trucks does make my board feel better and it feels like my flick on kickflips and heelflips is quicker/more consistent. I also feel like I can pull my board up onto higher ledges or manual pads easier.

Maybe it’s just a placebo effect and my brain is tricking me, but feeling better does lead to skating better so for me it’s worth it.

manysnakes

« Reply #305 on: February 27, 2022, 08:49:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but while my pop is a little higher and my flick is a little easier, I don’t feel that they will “unlock” anything in the sense of making one a better skater. They enhance my enjoyment a bit by letting me throw my board with a little less effort. That’s the advantage they offer.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #306 on: February 27, 2022, 09:28:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but while my pop is a little higher and my flick is a little easier, I don’t feel that they will “unlock” anything in the sense of making one a better skater. They enhance my enjoyment a bit by letting me throw my board with a little less effort. That’s the advantage they offer.

Ah. That’s a good explanation.
I haven’t been able to figure out if lighter setups would help me land more stuff.
I am also really odd, if that wasn’t apparent, in that forged baseplates can bother me, based off of how they sound and feel. I’d get over not liking the feel of forged/hollow trucks if that meant that I could land on my board.
I wonder if the lightness helps you skate for longer? If I’m skating flat, on a big board, it is hard to make the session last that long.
All of this is super wack, on my part. Almost all of my setup bs boils down to: wanting to be able to skate a board for transportation (big wheels) that I can also skate flatground on. And being a lazy pos that’s trying to ‘hack’ their way to being 20 years younger.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #307 on: February 27, 2022, 09:30:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Titanium trucks are awesome but if you’re not looking to spend that level of dough then a forged hollow option is more than adequate of a difference. Often times you’ll only pay $5-$10 dollars more for the forged hollow option.
In terms of “unlocking “ it does reduce effort as stated before which makes me feel less sore after a session.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #308 on: February 27, 2022, 10:09:25 AM »
Honestly I have ti hollow Indy’s and am not sure I like them. I didn’t know they were ti when I bought them. I like the lower height which is why I usually go forged plates, but these are silly light. On some things I feel there is a bit less of the board sucking up to the feet.

In reality it’s only a handful of grams so I dunno how it could matter.

manysnakes

« Reply #309 on: February 27, 2022, 10:13:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Titanium trucks are awesome but if you’re not looking to spend that level of dough then a forged hollow option is more than adequate of a difference. Often times you’ll only pay $5-$10 dollars more for the forged hollow option.
In terms of “unlocking “ it does reduce effort as stated before which makes me feel less sore after a session.

Yeah, the forged hollow trucks are only a few bucks more than regular trucks and are usually within a few grams of titanium trucks. Best deal, for sure.

ToshiroTownune

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #310 on: February 27, 2022, 11:37:15 AM »
If you don't mind waiting a bit and tracking sales, I think the best place to get Ti Indys (or anything expensive that is regularly produced) is skate warehouse. Periodically they do the 20% off gift card deal, and if you use that in combination with one of their other sales, you can get like 40-50% off retail price, even more if it's a sale item, like say the Pilz egg that ends up being under 25 bucks. I have used that combo to stock up on all the gear I regularly rotate through, and generally only pay full price for decks or items that have a limited availability and I can't find a sale for.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #311 on: February 27, 2022, 12:03:21 PM »
Honestly I have ti hollow Indy’s and am not sure I like them. I didn’t know they were ti when I bought them. I like the lower height which is why I usually go forged plates, but these are silly light. On some things I feel there is a bit less of the board sucking up to the feet.

In reality it’s only a handful of grams so I dunno how it could matter.

Yeah, I agree with this too. I have hollow light 147s and those are light, possibly too light.
Having trucks that are 8.75” wide (indy ti’s), that weigh then same as my beloved 5.0 lo’s, does seem appealing tho.

Jowiththeflow

• Rep: 18
« Reply #312 on: February 27, 2022, 12:34:02 PM »
I prefer a heavier setup lately. Aka. wide 56+ wheels and standard trucks.
Been down the Ti Road, but it felt kinda soulless, almost like cheating and even less controlled.
The feel is much better when you're forced to do your tricks "proper", imo.
I'm not a tech skater by any means, though...

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #313 on: February 27, 2022, 03:56:48 PM »
Anyone skated the emerica temple?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #314 on: February 27, 2022, 06:17:41 PM »
Not really a question, I wondered if Bryte was still trying to be a thing.
They're still doing the private instagram and only have 23k followers, they haven't done anything since that cider collabo and I was happy to see they still have 27 left in stock of Leandre's signed bloard.

https://bryteskateboards.com/products/le-andre-sanders-baby-goat-special-edition?variant=37795621437623

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #315 on: February 27, 2022, 06:41:25 PM »
What do people mean when they say “open your shoulders up”?

biaherl

• Rep: 270
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #316 on: February 27, 2022, 07:27:17 PM »
What do people mean when they say “open your shoulders up”?
Turn your shoulders to the left if you’re regular. To the right you’re goofy.

Your shoulders are no longer inline  with the direction with the nose and tail of your board, they are opening up to the way you are facing.

It’s all about where you’re looking and where you’re going next 

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • the moon rules
« Reply #317 on: February 27, 2022, 08:24:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ah. That’s a good explanation.
I haven’t been able to figure out if lighter setups would help me land more stuff.
I am also really odd, if that wasn’t apparent, in that forged baseplates can bother me, based off of how they sound and feel. I’d get over not liking the feel of forged/hollow trucks if that meant that I could land on my board.
I wonder if the lightness helps you skate for longer? If I’m skating flat, on a big board, it is hard to make the session last that long.
All of this is super wack, on my part. Almost all of my setup bs boils down to: wanting to be able to skate a board for transportation (big wheels) that I can also skate flatground on. And being a lazy pos that’s trying to ‘hack’ their way to being 20 years younger.
@ok imo it’s noticeable to skate a lighter truck. I tried out ACE for roughly a year before switching back to Thunders. Flip tricks have always been one of my favorite things to do. The heavier trucks made it harder and more frustrating to try and learn/relearn flip tricks. The flip tricks I could do took a lot of effort. From the knees down I had less aches after switching back. If you go from the extreme of an Indy 149 to a Thunder Titanium Light 149 then you’re shaving off 6ish ounces from your board. Every little bit helps. For the record I went UP to an 8.25 and 56’s on my regular setup
fuck you bama

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #318 on: February 27, 2022, 08:38:42 PM »
On 8.125 and smaller - I'd opt for the standard or hollow kingpin model. On 8.25 and up - I'd go for the lightest truck I have in my stash, not Maglight / Thunder TI but hollow kingpin + axle at least.

On a lighter truck setup I did find myself slightly less tired at the end of a 3 hour session yesterday. Went from Royal 144 IKP (353g) to Venture 5.6 TI (around 310g) and getting up the tall ledge took way less effort. I could see myself popping way too high at the other park I skate with much lower obstacles with a heavier truck to even out the height, but I'm not about to have 2 setups lying around.

Can't speak for flips since my I tweaked my ankle a week ago.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #319 on: February 27, 2022, 08:55:45 PM »
@rocklobster, same same: 8.125” and down I prefer to not have light trucks (this may change because of wanting much larger wheels going forward), and very much wanting lighting trucks on bigger setups, mainly to keep my poor knees and ankles quiet long enough to skate.

@tom yooooo. I’ve always been all over the place with trying different trucks. Some of my very best sessions ever were on thunders. At this point I’m barely hanging on to some flatground stuff, and that’s sadly the whole repertoire. Thunders give me my best kickflip. I also like the weight. I have a helluva time skating thunders with wheels over 52. I’ve always paid attention to your setups as they look dope, and have also often been in the 8” range which I appreciated as most folks have moved up and up in size. Kickflips on wider boards are great, anything rotational, for me, is trash on larger setups. What’s the secret to getting thunders and 56s to work!??

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • the moon rules
« Reply #320 on: February 27, 2022, 09:50:28 PM »
I just buy the 90du Thunder replacement bushings and call it a day. The stock bushings are too stiff for me. No risers either. I’m on the heavier side compared to most other street skaters. I can’t comfortably roll and setup for tricks if my trucks are too tight; sometimes my body wants to go in one direction while my board wants to go in the other direction. I get some wheelbite for the first few sessions, but I have a weird flatground routine that helps me work through it. It’s pop shuv, front shuv, pop shuv, then switch it around. I swear it works(at least for me)

I’m skating standard Thunders right now. I have some Hollow Lights on deck for whenever these get too axled. Almost pulled the trigger and got some of the titanium 148’s earlier today, but I realistically don’t need them for another year or so. They can wait
fuck you bama

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #321 on: February 27, 2022, 09:52:27 PM »
I’m skating standard Thunders right now. I have some Hollow Lights on deck for whenever these get too axled. Almost pulled the trigger and got some of the titanium 148’s earlier today, but I realistically don’t need them for another year or so. They can wait

Can they though? What if there is a global titanium shortage, again!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #322 on: February 28, 2022, 01:30:55 AM »
Hi!

Is there a kind of "What was this board?" thread around here?

I had a couple of boards when I was young that I would really like to see again maybe with some specs.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #323 on: February 28, 2022, 03:15:46 AM »
Hi!

I had a couple of boards when I was young that I would really like to see again maybe with some specs.

Some people start a new thread for things like that, but you can easily add to this one and might get more views too.

Boards are always fun to look up, but sometimes hard if you didn't know the exact graphic name or wording that makes them come up easily.

Might be harder to get hold of info on older boards, but worth a try anyway.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Rep: 128
« Reply #324 on: February 28, 2022, 11:37:25 AM »
Redacted
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 01:04:28 PM by MysticalTypeExperience »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #325 on: February 28, 2022, 11:52:42 AM »
Is there any pro that has more no push lines in parts than Bobby Worrest? He has to be number 1.

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #326 on: February 28, 2022, 03:21:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Hi!

[close]

Some people start a new thread for things like that, but you can easily add to this one and might get more views too.

Boards are always fun to look up, but sometimes hard if you didn't know the exact graphic name or wording that makes them come up easily.

Might be harder to get hold of info on older boards, but worth a try anyway.
Yes, fun but not as easy. :)

Today I finaly found one of the board I was looking for in an AWS 1999-2000 catalog hidden on the web. The blue/orange/white Kalis "Cat" model appearing at the beginning of the Stevie Williams part of The reason. 7.625x31.5 (unknown WB). Probably the board I enjoyed the most as a kid. Pretty happy for that.

I does'nt found the second one, a black and white AWS AVE promodel with a vampire on it. From 2001-2003 I think.

Finaly the last missing part of the puzzle, and probably the hardest to find, a Human Skateboards deck, very simple graphics with a handmade chest outline on a white and yellow background, without anything written on it, so not a Gershon model I guess. Pretty sure the top ply was blue with a little black Human logo, but not sure it helps. 98/00 I think.

Some pieces of my childhood skate life!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 03:36:40 PM by Solex »

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
« Reply #327 on: February 28, 2022, 03:58:42 PM »
I have a weird question about mallgrabbing lol.

So, the general consensus with mallgrabbing is that it doesn't look very cool, but I hear that reason cited pretty often as a case of "gatekeeping".

But like, is it not common knowledge that mallgrabbing will give you metal splinters? I always figured that was the actual reason people don't mallgrab but anytime I mention it people look at me like I'm crazy. I've gotten them just from grabbing my board out of my trunk for a second and they're such a bitch to get out of your fingers. Growing up I never mallgrabbed for that reason, not because it wasn't "cool". (I didn't even know that for my first few years skating anyway.)

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #328 on: February 28, 2022, 04:07:51 PM »

So, the general consensus with mallgrabbing is that it doesn't look very cool, but I hear that reason cited pretty often as a case of "gatekeeping".

But like, is it not common knowledge that mallgrabbing will give you metal splinters? I always figured that was the actual reason people don't mallgrab but anytime I mention it people look at me like I'm crazy. I've gotten them just from grabbing my board out of my trunk for a second and they're such a bitch to get out of your fingers. Growing up I never mallgrabbed for that reason, not because it wasn't "cool". (I didn't even know that for my first few years skating anyway.)

No one skates street anymore and coping doesn't make your trucks splinter.

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #329 on: February 28, 2022, 04:12:11 PM »

i've never experienced these metal splinters, but i don't skate the crusty pools that a lot of you do. curbs, yes, but no completely raw concrete. maybe tonight i'll get an intense mallgrab session in to see if your point is valid.
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with