Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216504 times)

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #330 on: February 28, 2022, 04:34:33 PM »
I have a weird question about mallgrabbing lol.

So, the general consensus with mallgrabbing is that it doesn't look very cool, but I hear that reason cited pretty often as a case of "gatekeeping".

But like, is it not common knowledge that mallgrabbing will give you metal splinters? I always figured that was the actual reason people don't mallgrab but anytime I mention it people look at me like I'm crazy. I've gotten them just from grabbing my board out of my trunk for a second and they're such a bitch to get out of your fingers. Growing up I never mallgrabbed for that reason, not because it wasn't "cool". (I didn't even know that for my first few years skating anyway.)

Mall grabbing is hated on because of regular internet hivemind shit

Never gotten metal splinters from it, just some wax. It's a better way to hold the board if you're not about to get back on. Holding the nose/tail rips up my fucking thumb.

Musicaldeath107

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 122
« Reply #331 on: February 28, 2022, 05:04:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hi!

Is there a kind of "What was this board?" thread around here?

I had a couple of boards when I was young that I would really like to see again maybe with some specs.
[close]

Some people start a new thread for things like that, but you can easily add to this one and might get more views too.

Boards are always fun to look up, but sometimes hard if you didn't know the exact graphic name or wording that makes them come up easily.

Might be harder to get hold of info on older boards, but worth a try anyway.
[close]
Yes, fun but not as easy. :)

Today I finaly found one of the board I was looking for in an AWS 1999-2000 catalog hidden on the web. The blue/orange/white Kalis "Cat" model appearing at the beginning of the Stevie Williams part of The reason. 7.625x31.5 (unknown WB). Probably the board I enjoyed the most as a kid. Pretty happy for that.

I does'nt found the second one, a black and white AWS AVE promodel with a vampire on it. From 2001-2003 I think.

Finaly the last missing part of the puzzle, and probably the hardest to find, a Human Skateboards deck, very simple graphics with a handmade chest outline on a white and yellow background, without anything written on it, so not a Gershon model I guess. Pretty sure the top ply was blue with a little black Human logo, but not sure it helps. 98/00 I think.

Some pieces of my childhood skate life!

That Kalis deck is my grail board. It's from the Ready Ranger Series.
I changed the colors around but yeah that graphic has left a mark on me to be sure

I also had that same AVE board hung on my wall as a kid but it's long lost

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
« Reply #332 on: February 28, 2022, 05:53:41 PM »
Expand Quote

So, the general consensus with mallgrabbing is that it doesn't look very cool, but I hear that reason cited pretty often as a case of "gatekeeping".

But like, is it not common knowledge that mallgrabbing will give you metal splinters? I always figured that was the actual reason people don't mallgrab but anytime I mention it people look at me like I'm crazy. I've gotten them just from grabbing my board out of my trunk for a second and they're such a bitch to get out of your fingers. Growing up I never mallgrabbed for that reason, not because it wasn't "cool". (I didn't even know that for my first few years skating anyway.)
[close]
i've never experienced these metal splinters, but i don't skate the crusty pools that a lot of you do. curbs, yes, but no completely raw concrete. maybe tonight i'll get an intense mallgrab session in to see if your point is valid.

I feel like curbs are pretty good at eating trucks, but these responses are interesting to me.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #333 on: February 28, 2022, 07:37:15 PM »
can you avoid axle slip if you use spacers between the bearings ?

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #334 on: March 01, 2022, 01:25:40 AM »

I changed the colors around but yeah that graphic has left a mark on me to be sure

That tatoo is so sick!

I realize that this cat head represents so much to me, it's completly crazy.

Ready Rangers Series as mentioned in the catalag, exactly, and 6 ply.

https://archive.org/details/alien-workshop-99-00/page/n1/mode/2up

I loved that board so much. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 02:34:16 AM by Solex »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #335 on: March 01, 2022, 05:36:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
That tatoo is so sick!

I realize that this cat head represents so much to me, it's completly crazy.

Ready Rangers Series as mentioned in the catalag, exactly, and 6 ply.

https://archive.org/details/alien-workshop-99-00/page/n1/mode/2up

I loved that board so much.

Wow that was a rad catalog, 6-ply decks?! 4 thin with 2 regular seems like a recipe for disaster. What a time to be alive!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

manysnakes

« Reply #336 on: March 01, 2022, 05:44:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It’s feel like “mall grabbing” is a psyop developed at Langley in order to see just how stupid a thing skateboarders will pretend to care about. It’s not some organic rejection due to years of experience (because it’s a perfectly functional way to hold your skateboard); it’s just some shit someone made up.

Try to explain the “mall grab” to any normal, well-adjusted person and watch in real time as their opinion of you as a person drops. 

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #337 on: March 01, 2022, 05:57:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It’s feel like “mall grabbing” is a psyop developed at Langley in order to see just how stupid a thing skateboarders will pretend to care about. It’s not some organic rejection due to years of experience (because it’s a perfectly functional way to hold your skateboard); it’s just some shit someone made up.

Try to explain the “mall grab” to any normal, well-adjusted person and watch in real time as their opinion of you as a person drops.

I mean yeah, okay, but forget about the reputation for a minute. Unless your trucks don't get much use, it's a bad idea to hold them like that cuz small shavings/splinters can get into your hands. Apparently nobody else has dealt with this?

That's my question. I don't really care if it's cool or uncool.

manysnakes

« Reply #338 on: March 01, 2022, 06:06:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I mean yeah, okay, but forget about the reputation for a minute. Unless your trucks don't get much use, it's a bad idea to hold them like that cuz small shavings/splinters can get into your hands. Apparently nobody else has dealt with this?

Skateboard trucks are not typically made from the kinds of aluminum which sheer and splinter, so no, that has never happened to me. There are usually some mildly sharp edges and the an occasional high spot if I’ve been grinding angle iron a lot, but that’s a very infrequent occurrence. 

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #339 on: March 01, 2022, 06:13:44 AM »
not all of us have soft pink fleshy hands.  some of us here work with our hands, ya' know?  I mean, I dont, but im sure someone here does

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #340 on: March 01, 2022, 06:15:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Skateboard trucks are not typically made from the kinds of aluminum which sheer and splinter, so no, that has never happened to me. There are usually some mildly sharp edges and the an occasional high spot if I’ve been grinding angle iron a lot, but that’s a very infrequent occurrence.

This is really interesting. I said it earlier, but I've had it happen to me multiple times just from grabbing my board out of the trunk or whatever. I want to say I've had it happen with multiple truck brands, but I don't switch very often so I can't remember for sure.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #341 on: March 01, 2022, 08:02:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

This is really interesting. I said it earlier, but I've had it happen to me multiple times just from grabbing my board out of the trunk or whatever. I want to say I've had it happen with multiple truck brands, but I don't switch very often so I can't remember for sure.

Definitely had the metal splinters on my palms and fingers when mall grabbing, happens most to my baseplate.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #342 on: March 01, 2022, 08:43:25 AM »
I've never heard anybody explain why it's not okay to mall grab either, but I assumed that it's because trucks are dirty and possibly sharp. Definitely had metal splinters, but not very often.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #343 on: March 01, 2022, 10:17:23 AM »
I think the why is non existent. Like when you started high school and there were all these new rules for things you couldn't do or you'd be mocked.
I'll admit I mall grabbed early on but for me it was pure defence. Where I lived there were all these little alleyway/alcove things and the way shitheads would try rob you is just jump out circle you like hyenas and rip all your shit off you. Mallgrabbing made it easier to keep hold of a board and you can even prod and swing it around at people.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #344 on: March 01, 2022, 10:40:52 AM »
Has anybody seen thunder or venture titaniums in europe? I'm really happy with the new royals but I've still been waiting for years now and absolutely need another pair of thunder tits. Why can't they come back to me?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #345 on: March 02, 2022, 06:06:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hi!

I had a couple of boards when I was young that I would really like to see again maybe with some specs.
[close]

Some people start a new thread for things like that, but you can easily add to this one and might get more views too.

Boards are always fun to look up, but sometimes hard if you didn't know the exact graphic name or wording that makes them come up easily.

[close]

Today I finaly found one of the board I was looking for in an AWS 1999-2000 catalog hidden on the web. The blue/orange/white Kalis "Cat" model appearing at the beginning of the Stevie Williams part of The reason. 7.625x31.5 (unknown WB). Probably the board I enjoyed the most as a kid. Pretty happy for that.

I does'nt found the second one, a black and white AWS AVE promodel with a vampire on it. From 2001-2003 I think.

Finaly the last missing part of the puzzle, and probably the hardest to find, a Human Skateboards deck, very simple graphics with a handmade chest outline on a white and yellow background, without anything written on it, so not a Gershon model I guess. Pretty sure the top ply was blue with a little black Human logo, but not sure it helps. 98/00 I think.

I feel like I have seen the AWS Vampire board, maybe on a Boards on the Wall thread or something similar.

Try this thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=17783.1650

@DISTANT RUMOURS might have had that one.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 138
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #346 on: March 02, 2022, 07:33:42 AM »
I've never heard anybody explain why it's not okay to mall grab either, but I assumed that it's because trucks are dirty and possibly sharp. Definitely had metal splinters, but not very often.

I don't hate on anyone who does mall grab but i've gotten plenty of metal splinters myself I think it depends on what you're skating. My Box makes very sharp cuts into my trucks. I actually noticed less issues on concrete ledges/curbs

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 796
« Reply #347 on: March 02, 2022, 11:03:46 AM »

when was this board originally released? i can’t find any pictures of the original online and it’s not listed on artofskateboarding.

it’s a 101 gino board btw

Solex

« Reply #348 on: March 02, 2022, 01:05:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hi!

[close]

[close]

[close]

I feel like I have seen the AWS Vampire board, maybe on a Boards on the Wall thread or something similar.

Try this thread:

Doesn't found it...

Thanks anyway!

dustyassrocketswitchv

• Rep: -137
« Reply #349 on: March 02, 2022, 02:03:15 PM »
Are SML wheels legit? Do they hold up like a spitfire or bones type shit?
big texas cummer

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #350 on: March 02, 2022, 05:10:06 PM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Every time I think of migrating to another brand from F4 it’s like I cant quit an addiction. I mostly skate smooth ground but not parks. Is there any reason to fuck with Dialtone or Loophole? Their shapes seem reasonably close to Spit but I like the smaller brand vibe and their teams.
[close]
This is basically the reason I skate dialtones. I mean I think they're good wheels too, but from a pure performance standpoint they don't offer anything that you can't get from an F4. I've got dialtones, loopholes, and F4s that I rotate in and out depending on how they treat me on a particular setup. 

After all, variety is the spice of life.
[close]

SML (which are from Creative, same as Dialtone) are good wheels, a solid 7.5/10 with Spitfire being a 10/10. You can do far worse than wheels from Creative.

To me it's about the price point, if I can get the Dialtone / SML for under $25, I'm biting and just having fun with them. They are great under $25, but if I were paying MSRP I'd go with Spitfire or Bones.

Posted about them in the wheels thread.

Was able to get some flatspots on the SML wheels I rode those out within the session. All about managing the expectations at the pricepoint.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

dustyassrocketswitchv

• Rep: -137
« Reply #351 on: March 02, 2022, 05:51:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Every time I think of migrating to another brand from F4 it’s like I cant quit an addiction. I mostly skate smooth ground but not parks. Is there any reason to fuck with Dialtone or Loophole? Their shapes seem reasonably close to Spit but I like the smaller brand vibe and their teams.

[close]
This is basically the reason I skate dialtones. I mean I think they're good wheels too, but from a pure performance standpoint they don't offer anything that you can't get from an F4. I've got dialtones, loopholes, and F4s that I rotate in and out depending on how they treat me on a particular setup. 

[close]

SML (which are from Creative, same as Dialtone) are good wheels, a solid 7.5/10 with Spitfire being a 10/10. You can do far worse than wheels from Creative.

To me it's about the price point, if I can get the Dialtone / SML for under $25, I'm biting and just having fun with them. They are great under $25, but if I were paying MSRP I'd go with Spitfire or Bones.
[close]

Was able to get some flatspots on the SML wheels I rode those out within the session. All about managing the expectations at the pricepoint.

Seems reasonable. Spitfires it is
big texas cummer

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #352 on: March 02, 2022, 06:23:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Seems reasonable. Spitfires it is

Good wheel at $25, great wheel at $20. And it's always good to send a few dollars to a company you back.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #353 on: March 02, 2022, 07:01:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hi!

[close]

[close]

[close]

Try this thread:

[close]
Doesn't found it...

Thanks anyway!
is this the ave you were looking for? there are 2 on art of skateboarding, but one seems to be a jr? the one in this pic is from the chickenwire series i believe?
sorry if you weren't talking about this, but the others in your post

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #354 on: March 02, 2022, 08:15:39 PM »

Doesn't found it...

Thanks anyway!

Do you mean you did find it?

Maybe something you are typing keeps changing, but that "Doesn't" does not make sense.

Not a worry, just checking.

:)

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
« Reply #355 on: March 02, 2022, 08:54:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Do lightweight models of trucks make more or less of a difference at greater widths? I found online that a 129 Indy Hollow weighs 334g while the Standard weighs 377g, so about 11% weight savings, but what about at the larger sizes? I haven't seen those weights available.
[close]

I feel with larger sizes you notice the benefits more
[close]

Well, 11% of more is more, but the the question is whether it will make a perceptible difference in a setup? I’m gonna say since hardware weight - bearings, bolts, bushings, bearings -is fixed, the lightweights might bring a bigger setup into a more normal weight range.
[close]

I have Indy titanium 159s and I always forget how great these trucks are until I skate regular 159s and feel how heavy and clunky they are. You absolutely can notice the difference between the lightweight and heavier trucks at the larger end of truck sizes, where the more material starts to represent a larger and larger percentage of the overall weight.

I’m not sure I’ll buy another pair (I got these slightly used for $40, and I would never pay retail), but if you don’t mind the cost, it’s an appreciably better trucks imo.
[close]

But does it ‘unlock’ anything or just ‘feel’ better?
Riding a big board is fun and all, until the ligaments in the backs of my knees, ligaments in ankles, and hips get sore as hell trying to flop the boat around. Most of this is due to me being an old, out of shape person, that skated sporadically.
All I’m saying is do you notice any actual, ahem, performance benefits? Like can you tre with the lights, but not the regulars? Cuz if that’s the case, I’ll pay double fucking retail.
It’s easy to not care, when you can’t see the finish line.
[close]

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but while my pop is a little higher and my flick is a little easier, I don’t feel that they will “unlock” anything in the sense of making one a better skater. They enhance my enjoyment a bit by letting me throw my board with a little less effort. That’s the advantage they offer.
Oh I wasn't asking in terms of performance or anything like that, just strictly the comparative weight differences between sizes.  I personally imagine that if there are 3 components which can have weight savings (axels, kingpins, baseplates), the only change in total grams of weight savings will be in the slight differences in axel length, because the kingpins and baseplates will remain the same from size to size. So I would think that the Indy 159 hollows are less than 11% lighter than the 159 standards.

Solex

« Reply #356 on: March 02, 2022, 11:45:43 PM »
Expand Quote

Doesn't found it...

Thanks anyway!
[close]

Do you mean you did find it?

Maybe something you are typing keeps changing, but that "Doesn't" does not make sense.

Not a worry, just checking.

:)
I DIDN'T found it.

Sorry!

is this the ave you were looking for? there are 2 on art of skateboarding, but one seems to be a jr? the one in this pic is from the chickenwire series i believe?
sorry if you weren't talking about this, but the others in your post

No it's not!

The board i'm looking for looked much more like the Dill Cateye one at the top left of this picture (so maybe from the same series?) :

« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 01:06:43 AM by Solex »

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #357 on: March 03, 2022, 03:35:19 AM »

Gino Bel Paese deck

when was this board originally released? i can’t find any pictures of the original online and it’s not listed on artofskateboarding.

it’s a 101 gino board btw

I had a bit of a look around, but there is not that much to go on.

https://dwindle.com/heritage

Just going by Art of Skateboarding, I could guess a fair bit from when boards were shown and then when Gino had boards on certain companies as well.

The company started in 1991 (with big wide boards) and lasted until around 1996, so that should narrow it down a bit.

Gino was on Black Label up to and including 1993, so between 1993 and 1996 is your answer, so that should help a bit.

This came up more so in a search that included 1994, so that might be the year, but there was no other info when I tried to go to it to check.

Original size 7.5 x 31.7 with 14.0 wheelbase

https://skatenewswire.com/gino-iannucci-101-reissue/

Here too:

https://www.oldskullskateboards.com/pre-order-101-gino-iannucci-bel-paese-screened-reissue-deck-7-50/

« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 04:02:02 AM by Woodshop »

disappointed

• Rep: 100
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #358 on: March 03, 2022, 04:16:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hi!

[close]

[close]

This??

https://imgbb.com/GPVcKyQ

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #359 on: March 03, 2022, 04:24:17 AM »

There really were some crazy out there AWS graphics hey?

It is amazing looking over all those old catalogs.