Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216525 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #480 on: March 15, 2022, 06:14:09 PM »
Expand Quote
what are the widest contact patch wheels with the least diameter? i love how my v6 stfs feel worn down from 56mm to 50mm, but i'm not too keen to experience the hellish wheelbite process to get them back to that perfect spot.
[close]
No clue about other brands, but in regards to the Formula Four familly the Conical Full shape has the best riding surface/diameter ratio with 21mm for the 52mm one (the smallest diameter available in this shape)

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/formulafour/

But you should rather ask that in the dedicated wheels thread.

Great question

HyperBeam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #481 on: March 15, 2022, 10:58:08 PM »
what's the deal with 6 hole baseplates? shouldn't they have 8 holes?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #482 on: March 15, 2022, 11:08:47 PM »
what's the deal with 6 hole baseplates? shouldn't they have 8 holes?
8 holes would let you move the truck forwards and backwards to change the wheelbase. But the 6 holes are because boards used to have wider mounting holes for the trucks. then I think in the early 90s companies made them smaller (what most boards have today) because wheels got smaller and nose and tail sides became popular and would break the outer hardware. so trucks just had six holes to accommodate whatever holes drilled the board has. I think only reissues really use the wider set mounting now.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #483 on: March 16, 2022, 02:55:39 PM »
I always assumed it was to adjust wheelbase

jimgrude

• Rep: 69
« Reply #484 on: March 16, 2022, 06:13:57 PM »
Dumb question : has anyone ever weighted different kind of grip tapes? I'd be really curious to know the difference between Jessup vs Mob for example.

Mob, and pretty much every other grip, is significantly thicker than Jessup.
I haven't weighed them, and you certainly won't notice a difference in weight, but the feel is very different.
I personally can't stand the feel of thick griptape, to the point that I say no to free shop grip.
Jessup also has much finer grit, and therefore less grip. Perfect for me, as decks only lasts about six sessions for me, so it never gets the chance to wear down much.
If you plan to use the board for a long time, and you don't mind the thick feeling, you should probably get a different brand. Weight won't be an issue, however.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #485 on: March 17, 2022, 02:35:34 AM »
Does anyone else remember going out of their way to buy and wear tie dye skate shirts as a grom? It was definitely all the death wish dudes who pushed that right?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #486 on: March 17, 2022, 02:50:02 AM »
Does anyone else remember going out of their way to buy and wear tie dye skate shirts as a grom? It was definitely all the death wish dudes who pushed that right?
It was a weird thing that from 05 to 15 just kept coming up over and over. I think before death wish was maybe Shane cross and Jake Duncombe (but that may of been way more of an Aus thing). I never did it but I had one of those black shirts that had sort of bleach stains on it. There were definatly tuf years skating where the whole crew would be in tie dye shirt, skinny jeans/cut offs, new era hat with Jimbo Jones hair out the sides and probably some horrible fallens with pattern material

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #487 on: March 17, 2022, 03:06:17 AM »

100% that was some phase, see a lot of em in footage before my time in the local scene (06-08) and then in other US based videos around the same era. tie dye, orange beanies etc. jonathan pierce was rocking it pretty hard

man that part still goes pretty hard

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #488 on: March 17, 2022, 04:05:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Dumb question : has anyone ever weighted different kind of grip tapes? I'd be really curious to know the difference between Jessup vs Mob for example.
[close]

Mob, and pretty much every other grip, is significantly thicker than Jessup.
I haven't weighed them, and you certainly won't notice a difference in weight, but the feel is very different.
I personally can't stand the feel of thick griptape, to the point that I say no to free shop grip.
Jessup also has much finer grit, and therefore less grip. Perfect for me, as decks only lasts about six sessions for me, so it never gets the chance to wear down much.
If you plan to use the board for a long time, and you don't mind the thick feeling, you should probably get a different brand. Weight won't be an issue, however.
I'm a Jessup guy, it feels perfect to me though I'm not a board breaker at all.

I'm just curious in a world of titanium/hollow things what could be the weight difference between two grip tapes. :)

Thanks for the reply anyway!

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #489 on: March 17, 2022, 12:50:16 PM »
Just weighed- sheet of Jessup, 9"x34" with backing paper still on, is 116g/4oz.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #490 on: March 17, 2022, 01:19:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I love you took the time to do this, but various backings are used for grip. Unless you unpeel the grip, how do you know for sure?
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Solex

« Reply #491 on: March 17, 2022, 01:36:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I love you took the time to do this, but various backings are used for grip. Unless you unpeel the grip, how do you know for sure?
Thx @braksabbath !

The smart move is probably to weight the backing paper when the grip job is done. :D

Do you think a dedicated thread would be worth it?

P.s : could someone tell me how can I actually mention a member with @ please?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #492 on: March 17, 2022, 01:37:24 PM »
OK, this has been on my mind quite a bit as of late:

During the era when Eastern Exposure 3 was being filmed, where was everyone in Philly getting big wheels from? The video came out in 1996, and I assume most of the footage was from 1994-1995. I remember it being nearly impossible to find big wheels in catalogs or the local shops until at least mid-1996, and I am guessing that video is what made them popular. I was also a little kid so maybe I am just misremembering, but I feel pretty sure of it.

Was everyone skating deadstock slimeballs or something?

Asked the people I used to skate with. They claimed we all started sizing up, out of the 40s, in 1995. I looked up some old ccs catalogs and there some wheels, alien in particular, that were 56 ish. I remember wearing tsa shorts, the very first run of Osiris shoes, and skating a Gino with 60mm wheels. This is post EE3. Totally fucked kit.

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #493 on: March 17, 2022, 01:38:34 PM »
is there a good tool that can reach mounting bolts on venture lows without taking the entire hangar off

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #494 on: March 17, 2022, 01:42:01 PM »
is there a good tool that can reach mounting bolts on venture lows without taking the entire hangar off
cant speak on lows but silver tool works fine with venture hi

braksabbath

« Reply #495 on: March 17, 2022, 01:44:20 PM »

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #496 on: March 17, 2022, 01:56:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Thx @braksabbath !

The smart move is probably to weight the backing paper when the grip job is done. :D

@Solex  just start slowly typing the username after the @ and the usernames appear, which you can select.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Solex

« Reply #497 on: March 17, 2022, 02:21:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Thx @braksabbath !

[close]

@Solex  just start slowly typing the username after the @ and the usernames appear, which you can select.
Yeah, that's the usual method, but it doesn't work for me on Slap, either on desktop or mobile device. Maybe I have to reach 100 posts or something like that...

Thx

Always used that :

It sucks...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 03:53:53 PM by Solex »

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 316
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #498 on: March 17, 2022, 03:29:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

this is pure gold lol. there was a skater who was setting up a new board and he borrowed my silver tool to mount his venture lows. it didn't seem to be an issue or difficult for him

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #499 on: March 17, 2022, 04:31:51 PM »

There are a number of skate tools that have a thin shaft, which all work well, brands include Modus, Spitfire, Ace, Independent, Bronson, along with some of those more high tech options which have the ratchet part too, such as Skatepro, Silver, and a couple of brands I cannot find right now just from a "skate tool" google search.

This sort of look:

This is one that I have that really fits into every gap (including Venture Low hangers on some boards I recently set up), having the thinnest shaft of all, but as it is a pull apart tool, sometimes that can be annoying.  I got a number of them from an ebay seller a long time ago for really cheap and they hold up pretty well, being all metal.  I did glue the two main parts together just so I didn't have them coming apart while using though.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #500 on: March 17, 2022, 06:12:30 PM »

During the era when Eastern Exposure 3 was being filmed, where was everyone in Philly getting big wheels from? The video came out in 1996, and I assume most of the footage was from 1994-1995. I remember it being nearly impossible to find big wheels in catalogs or the local shops until at least mid-1996, and I am guessing that video is what made them popular. I was also a little kid so maybe I am just misremembering, but I feel pretty sure of it.

Th super small wheels took over around Summer of 1991 but bigger wheels started coming back around 1993/94. The tiny wheels fad was brutal and felt like it lasted a lifetime.
How much for an order of ribs?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #501 on: March 17, 2022, 06:19:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I swear by the Spitfire tool, I've broken 3 Silver tools trying to remove stubborn axle nuts, rethreading axles or having the ratchet adjustor switch assembly falling out completely.

Keep it simple, lasts forever. Only downside is the sockets for axle / kingpin nuts are very precise so if you nuts are mushroom-ed out then you're going to need pliers or a wrench. The plastic Unit tool has a bit for allowance for the nut so you could cover a mushroom-ed nut at an angle to remove them.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #502 on: March 17, 2022, 06:20:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Th super small wheels took over around Summer of 1991 but bigger wheels started coming back around 1993/94. The tiny wheels fad was brutal and felt like it lasted a lifetime.

I don’t remember big wheels being even an option, until like 1995.
It’d be funny if the real reason Serge and them were claiming no powerslide hill bombs, was because they were all on old bullet 66s that didn’t slide.
It’s pretty incredible, how much better gear is now. Trucks and wheels specifically.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1347
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #503 on: March 17, 2022, 08:17:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It’d be funny if the real reason Serge and them were claiming no powerslide hill bombs, was because they were all on old bullet 66s that didn’t slide.
It’s pretty incredible, how much better gear is now. Trucks and wheels specifically.
Earliest Nicotine Wheels ad I can find with a half-assed search is 1997 is from 1995 but while they definitely had some huge wheels in their catalog later on, they were putting out standard sizing at first, at least according to their ads. Resse Forbes rode for them around the time of EE3 so maybe they were getting big wheels made special by Nicotine or Eastern Urethane?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 08:35:46 PM by jakeumms »
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Fooj

« Reply #504 on: March 17, 2022, 08:29:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I swear by the Spitfire tool, I've broken 3 Silver tools trying to remove stubborn axle nuts, rethreading axles or having the ratchet adjustor switch assembly falling out completely.

Keep it simple, lasts forever. Only downside is the sockets for axle / kingpin nuts are very precise so if you nuts are mushroom-ed out then you're going to need pliers or a wrench. The plastic Unit tool has a bit for allowance for the nut so you could cover a mushroom-ed nut at an angle to remove them.
the best tool

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #505 on: March 17, 2022, 10:04:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
Earliest Nicotine Wheels ad I can find with a half-assed search is 1997 is from 1995 but while they definitely had some huge wheels in their catalog later on, they were putting out standard sizing at first, at least according to their ads. Resse Forbes rode for them around the time of EE3 so maybe they were getting big wheels made special by Nicotine or Eastern Urethane?

I like this theory

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #506 on: March 17, 2022, 10:26:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I like this theory
What were vert skaters riding?

nitro89

• Rep: 88
« Reply #507 on: March 18, 2022, 01:48:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
the best tool

for the venture guys (like me) just buy a 3/8" spanner for the hardware and use an elastic band to hold it to your normal tool to keep them together in your bag when you don't need them. its not rocket science.
"Skateboarding doesn't owe you shit. It owes you wheelbite in the rain" - Jake Phelps"

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #508 on: March 18, 2022, 02:07:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
the best tool
[close]

for the venture guys (like me) just buy a 3/8" spanner for the hardware and use an elastic band to hold it to your normal tool to keep them together in your bag when you don't need them. its not rocket science.
Little shifter wrench or diamond bolts come with a little spanner (or at least used to) altho these options do mean you have to turn the Allen key

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #509 on: March 18, 2022, 02:33:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
the best tool
[close]

[close]
Little shifter wrench or diamond bolts come with a little spanner (or at least used to) altho these options do mean you have to turn the Allen key

Like a goddamn animal
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m