Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216473 times)

Ronnie Rodriguez

Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #570 on: March 24, 2022, 08:40:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
OK, this has been on my mind quite a bit as of late:

During the era when Eastern Exposure 3 was being filmed, where was everyone in Philly getting big wheels from? The video came out in 1996, and I assume most of the footage was from 1994-1995. I remember it being nearly impossible to find big wheels in catalogs or the local shops until at least mid-1996, and I am guessing that video is what made them popular. I was also a little kid so maybe I am just misremembering, but I feel pretty sure of it.

Was everyone skating deadstock slimeballs or something?
[close]

Th super small wheels took over around Summer of 1991 but bigger wheels started coming back around 1993/94. The tiny wheels fad was brutal and felt like it lasted a lifetime.
[close]

I don’t remember big wheels being even an option, until like 1995.
It’d be funny if the real reason Serge and them were claiming no powerslide hill bombs, was because they were all on old bullet 66s that didn’t slide.
It’s pretty incredible, how much better gear is now. Trucks and wheels specifically.
[close]
Earliest Nicotine Wheels ad I can find with a half-assed search is 1997 is from 1995 but while they definitely had some huge wheels in their catalog later on, they were putting out standard sizing at first, at least according to their ads. Resse Forbes rode for them around the time of EE3 so maybe they were getting big wheels made special by Nicotine or Eastern Urethane?
[close]

I like this theory
[close]
What were vert skaters riding?
[close]

During the small wheel era that is all most of them could get their hands on, so from at least one interview, they said "they went from six ft airs to barely two ft airs and had to pump their guts out on every goddamn wall" or something like that.

Then when anything slightly larger came back in they were all back on the bigger wheels, although some still skated wheels that were smaller than average for the tech vert era.
[close]

I like the theory that nicotine might have been doing custom shapes. I love the theory that they were rolling with old shit even more. FWIW, when big wheels started showing up, Physics aside, almost all of them were a "classic" shape. However, as per this wild picture of Freddy from a 1996 AWS ad, he is running what look like some big old wheels that look pretty conical to me:

https://warmupzone.files.wordpress.com/2020/06/fredalienposter.png?w=665

So maybe it was old wheels? Someone has to know. Maybe I'll DM Sergei or someone (like a man).

OK, sorry for the self quote but in the Big Wheel Appreesh thread, this got posted:

Scroll through:

I was looking through the comments and saw this:

"Fisher started that whole thing w/ the 68mm bombers. Used to skate w/ him almost every weekend back then"

Assuming maybe that means Powell Bombers? I hit the dude who posted the comment up so we shall see. Either way I am elated that this mystery feels a little closer to being solved.

Edit: homie confirmed it was Powell Bombers and that both Jerry Fisher and Fred Gall rode them. So, so unbelievably psyched to have this figured out.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 09:09:31 AM by Ronnie Rodriguez »

braksabbath

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #571 on: March 24, 2022, 03:03:42 PM »
I got a sale deck from a shop for $40, gripped it, then noticed it’s pretty warped. Do shops return decks to the board company? They’re small so I don’t to make a thing over it if it’s a hassle

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #572 on: March 24, 2022, 03:10:11 PM »
I mean if it was on sale i would think it would be pretty kooky to complain about it being warped

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #573 on: March 24, 2022, 06:10:07 PM »
How long can a deck sit for until it starts to warp? Or, related to that - how can you avoid warping? Is warping inevitable?
I got a sale deck from a shop for $40, gripped it, then noticed it’s pretty warped. Do shops return decks to the board company? They’re small so I don’t to make a thing over it if it’s a hassle

Although there has been a significant amount of info from people like Paul Schmitt - PS Stix owner and others, it seems there is no definite answer to this, as some boards have just warped beyond my ability to weight them down and return them to semi straight, but almost any other normal board that is either still in shrink or at least stored out of direct sunlight and away from an excess of hot or cold conditions should still maintain the initial form.

Even from having a number of boards up around a hot metal walled shed, almost none of them have warped, which is surprising, as I was thinking that many of them would have had issues with the heat and being hung vertically.

Normally any other board that is still to be skated will hold up just fine being stored flat, either in boxes of about the same concave or in stacks where the longest board is on the bottom, so they are all resting on their middles, not the tips of the ends of smaller boards, if that makes sense.

I have boards I bought new that are maybe almost twenty years old that I know of, as well as other boards I picked up second hand from way earlier than that, that have no issues at all and still skate fine.

On the other side, one of the guys I know always leaves his boards in the car and they always warped quite quickly, no matter how old or what brand of wood.  If you are going to leave boards in a car, they are best in a board box, or at the very least, wrapped in something to prevent them getting too hot and warping.

On the fixing them side of things, sometimes it is best to weight them down under something, even with offset flex, which I have had fairly good success at warping boards back to flat, or at least to the point where I can ride them and not know they were warped from the feel of it.

Having a stack of old boards or even a couple of old boards to sit on top and then bricks or something else sitting on that and left for a week in warmer weather or longer in colder weather usually makes a difference to boards I have had.  I just did one not too long ago and was going to put up something on it soon enough, then saw these questions, so that is good timing.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #574 on: March 25, 2022, 12:19:15 PM »
Kinda curious- are there pros who leave a truck sponsor and do not just buy Indy's? It seems when pros buy their own shit or retire they almost always just get Indy's unless DLX is sending em a box and toss some Thunders in.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 904
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #575 on: March 25, 2022, 12:36:26 PM »
I know Converse sizing is weird, I fit in 11 for fastbreaks and the academy highs, but 11 was too small for checkpoints.

I want to get the CTAS pro hi, should I stick to 11 or size up to 11.5?

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1383
« Reply #576 on: March 25, 2022, 12:41:04 PM »
Expand Quote
How long can a deck sit for until it starts to warp? Or, related to that - how can you avoid warping? Is warping inevitable?
[close]
Expand Quote
[close]

Although there has been a significant amount of info from people like Paul Schmitt - PS Stix owner and others, it seems there is no definite answer to this, as some boards have just warped beyond my ability to weight them down and return them to semi straight, but almost any other normal board that is either still in shrink or at least stored out of direct sunlight and away from an excess of hot or cold conditions should still maintain the initial form.

Even from having a number of boards up around a hot metal walled shed, almost none of them have warped, which is surprising, as I was thinking that many of them would have had issues with the heat and being hung vertically.

Normally any other board that is still to be skated will hold up just fine being stored flat, either in boxes of about the same concave or in stacks where the longest board is on the bottom, so they are all resting on their middles, not the tips of the ends of smaller boards, if that makes sense.

I have boards I bought new that are maybe almost twenty years old that I know of, as well as other boards I picked up second hand from way earlier than that, that have no issues at all and still skate fine.

On the other side, one of the guys I know always leaves his boards in the car and they always warped quite quickly, no matter how old or what brand of wood.  If you are going to leave boards in a car, they are best in a board box, or at the very least, wrapped in something to prevent them getting too hot and warping.

On the fixing them side of things, sometimes it is best to weight them down under something, even with offset flex, which I have had fairly good success at warping boards back to flat, or at least to the point where I can ride them and not know they were warped from the feel of it.

Having a stack of old boards or even a couple of old boards to sit on top and then bricks or something else sitting on that and left for a week in warmer weather or longer in colder weather usually makes a difference to boards I have had.  I just did one not too long ago and was going to put up something on it soon enough, then saw these questions, so that is good timing.

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

I sincerely hope that one day we don't see you posting anti-LGBTQ+ rants in a thread about Ishod's new sock sponsor.

braksabbath

« Reply #577 on: March 25, 2022, 01:41:47 PM »
Will DLX do a VX/Flight type board?

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #578 on: March 25, 2022, 03:05:46 PM »
I know Converse sizing is weird, I fit in 11 for fastbreaks and the academy highs, but 11 was too small for checkpoints.

I want to get the CTAS pro hi, should I stick to 11 or size up to 11.5?
Normally 8,5-9, CTAS hi 8

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #579 on: March 25, 2022, 03:55:38 PM »

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

I sincerely hope that one day we don't see you posting anti-LGBTQ+ rants in a thread about Ishod's new sock sponsor.

Ha yeah that would certainly be a drop into madness, but as much as you could say I am all kinds of crazy, it is ONLY ever skateboard madness, never anything else.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
« Reply #580 on: March 25, 2022, 04:42:15 PM »
How do you keep your board from curving to one side? My board wants to go to the left and it just ends up boomeranging back to me in a circle. Makes backside flips hard as the board is already angled left.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #581 on: March 25, 2022, 05:22:06 PM »
Will DLX do a VX/Flight type board?

I doubt it, their regular 7-ply decks sell themselves without the gimmicks. The most they will do are some slick bottoms.

They used to do Low Pro constructions that were ultra steep but nothing with carbon fiber inserts.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #582 on: March 25, 2022, 07:42:40 PM »
How do you keep your board from curving to one side? My board wants to go to the left and it just ends up boomeranging back to me in a circle. Makes backside flips hard as the board is already angled left.
Loosen your trucks. rotate the bushings and break them in. Pretty much all boards will turn some if you shoot out, but it shouldn't matter when you're on the board, you do the steering.

Rattus Localis

« Reply #583 on: March 25, 2022, 07:58:35 PM »
Why are forged baseplates always lower than cast baseplates?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #584 on: March 25, 2022, 08:31:35 PM »
Brands claim it’s to “preserve the pop feel” since they’re decently lighter. I find this to be bullshit as I’ve skated every cast/forged variant and they don’t have the same pop feel.

It’s likely because forging usually allows for a harder alloy and can be done more exacting in most cases than cast and they are too lazy to just make them all the same. People mostly buy forged for the weight savings too so they’re not really trying to add material to get them the same height.

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #585 on: March 25, 2022, 11:12:38 PM »
Kinda curious- are there pros who leave a truck sponsor and do not just buy Indy's? It seems when pros buy their own shit or retire they almost always just get Indy's unless DLX is sending em a box and toss some Thunders in.

I don't know about that but I do know some pros who skated for Indy but actually rode Thunders.
How much for an order of ribs?

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #586 on: March 26, 2022, 03:53:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't know about that but I do know some pros who skated for Indy but actually rode Thunders.
Crob still often says that he is on Indy but has been riding Thunders for couple years now for example

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #587 on: March 26, 2022, 06:19:28 AM »
Brands claim it’s to “preserve the pop feel” since they’re decently lighter. I find this to be bullshit as I’ve skated every cast/forged variant and they don’t have the same pop feel.

It’s likely because forging usually allows for a harder alloy and can be done more exacting in most cases than cast and they are too lazy to just make them all the same. People mostly buy forged for the weight savings too so they’re not really trying to add material to get them the same height.

Pushing the WB out is what's done to attempt to "preserve" or compensate for the pop feel. The lower height (or more specifically, the thinner baseplate) is to lower the weight.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #588 on: March 26, 2022, 02:22:10 PM »
I feel like we had that topic before, but anyway..

What kind of wheels slide better? Those with a narrow contact patch or those with a wide contact patch? Does it matter if the wheels have squared or rounded sidewalls?
IG: @flowterspace

LebowskisRug

« Reply #589 on: March 26, 2022, 04:23:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Pushing the WB out is what's done to attempt to "preserve" or compensate for the pop feel. The lower height (or more specifically, the thinner baseplate) is to lower the weight.

Halfway correct- to get the tail to hit the ground at the same time the plate has to be lower if it is moved back. Just moving back would raise the deck angle only and make pop heavier.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #590 on: March 26, 2022, 04:24:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Who? In most cases that I’ve seen a pro will buy Indy’s, like Jerry Hsu who skated for Thunder and Royal his whole career.

Fooj

« Reply #591 on: March 26, 2022, 06:09:18 PM »
I feel like we had that topic before, but anyway..

What kind of wheels slide better? Those with a narrow contact patch or those with a wide contact patch? Does it matter if the wheels have squared or rounded sidewalls?

Front blunts and a couple different kinds of crooks are my daily ledge go-tos, imo classics are 10x easier to slide blunts with than conical fulls. Classics also seem to glide thru crooks way longer than the more square wheels, I find that conical, tablets and even radials dig into crooks and Slow the grind down. 

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
« Reply #592 on: March 26, 2022, 06:15:06 PM »
Anyone know the fit on the new DC Manteca? Slim or wide? The last DC I had were the legacy slim. They were a little snug

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #593 on: March 26, 2022, 06:29:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Who? In most cases that I’ve seen a pro will buy Indy’s, like Jerry Hsu who skated for Thunder and Royal his whole career.

You want the setup of jerry now? Or then?
To your point there has been a few that go the indy route, Raymond would be another.
Not interestingly I was thinking of my favorite styles of all time, very few are indy riders.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #594 on: March 26, 2022, 06:54:18 PM »
Reynolds, Penny, early Guy (at times), BA, AO, Arto, Jake Johnson, Heath, Howard, Reese, modern AVE, there’s a lot of Indy riders with legendary styles. Venture wasn’t quite as big in the Street Corner era and Thunder sponsors everyone that has a pulse plus lots of the people I listed had other sponsors but still rode Indy’s or only recently got on another brand.

Banned from the room

« Reply #595 on: March 26, 2022, 07:08:30 PM »
I been looking at these boutique store listings for dark red chukka boots for a couple years now. I wish I had the stones to take a chance on these shoes. The money too.

My questions are why did van’s cancel the chukka boot.

Is lyst.com legit because I want these shoes even though they got Little v logos all over them.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #596 on: March 26, 2022, 07:12:17 PM »
Lyst is a legit discount site. I dunno why Vans cancelled the Chukka I see the lows a ton and saw so many people wearing them when they were in the lineup. They’d sell well across the board but instead we have the Wayvee and Berle pros.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #597 on: March 26, 2022, 07:32:09 PM »
Reynolds, Penny, early Guy (at times), BA, AO, Arto, Jake Johnson, Heath, Howard, Reese, modern AVE, there’s a lot of Indy riders with legendary styles. Venture wasn’t quite as big in the Street Corner era and Thunder sponsors everyone that has a pulse plus lots of the people I listed had other sponsors but still rode Indy’s or only recently got on another brand.

No doubt, some absolute legends on Indys. But those aren’t my faves. Not saying my faves are better, arguably, they are not, just saying, just to say.
I’ve said it before, but indy has always functioned as a bit of a baseline/yardstick, the standard (not the company ‘standard’) from which to measure other products against. Indy is also possibly the best ‘all arounder’. I’m sure I could set some up and they wouldn’t be my worst trucks.
Whenever I ride them, I always want something to be a little…different. A personal problem.
I think Koston is one of the only ones I can think of that skated for Indy, whilst skating different companies trucks. I’m sure there has been a few others…

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #598 on: March 26, 2022, 07:54:11 PM »
I think the problem with vans chukka boot is they were a bit more effort than they're worth. Gotta basically unlace them to get them off and then crank the laces to keep them tight. Because of the kinda weird shape your foot can move around inside the shoe a lot. The 106 is kinda like a low version that don't have any of those problems. Chukka lows from the actual skate line don't have much in common apart from the name.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #599 on: March 27, 2022, 08:57:40 AM »

Anybody knows if the oval team logos have the same shape as the full se‘s?
Asking cause I saw an old real insta post and they said :

Pressed on scaled molds built off real full size decks.“

I‘m confused. Are they just as full as full se‘s?