Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216730 times)

ToshiroTownune

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 70
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #810 on: April 26, 2022, 01:46:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Best method for fixing seized bearings? And do slappies mess up bearings? Keep getting seized bearings on my back right wheels.
[close]

Might be asking too many questions, but what are you skating for bearings?

Shields on or off?

When you take them apart, are they clean, dirty, rusty, still lubed or dry, etc?

I like fixing a lot of things, including bearings, but only if they have removable rubber shields and non metal ball retainers, which are usually just given a quick spray of degreaser and put on one of the loan boards / free kids setups at the indoor park I skate at.

Might be as said the pressure on a certain wheel is causing more issues, which I have definitely seen before with some bearings, from cheapies right up to swiss - all end up with the same issues from certain ways people skate, but it can be really frustrating if it is something else, eg bent axle or badly poured wheel that is also causing extra problems.

This has happened to me with Bones Swiss, Reds, and Big Balls.

Shields have been on. The worst in terms of not spinning at all was with bones big balls. It was totally dry when I took it apart, though I was able to clean the parts and reassemble with success (limited number of balls made putting it back togeher a snap). Currently trying to reassemble the swiss bearing and this one is considerably harder to get all the balls to line up and sit properly. After much manipulation I was able to get the balls back on the inner race, but even so it did not spin well. All the parts are clean now so I'm at a loss as to why it's still spinning as if there is an obstruction of some sort. Maybe the fretting that manysnakes mentioned? I picked up some speed cream and can try that if you guys think it would do the trick. Some people on here were saying it deadened their ride so I was hesitant to give it a go, but am open to whatever makes this thing spin properly!

I do a lot of backside feebles and hurricanes, so I'm guessing this is putting more pressure on this wheel in particular.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #811 on: April 26, 2022, 05:32:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Best method for fixing seized bearings? And do slappies mess up bearings? Keep getting seized bearings on my back right wheels.
[close]

Shields on or off?

When you take them apart, are they clean, dirty, rusty, still lubed or dry, etc?

I like fixing a lot of things, including bearings, but only if they have removable rubber shields and non metal ball retainers, which are usually just given a quick spray of degreaser and put on one of the loan boards / free kids setups at the indoor park I skate at.

Might be as said the pressure on a certain wheel is causing more issues, which I have definitely seen before with some bearings, from cheapies right up to swiss - all end up with the same issues from certain ways people skate, but it can be really frustrating if it is something else, eg bent axle or badly poured wheel that is also causing extra problems.
[close]

Shields have been on. The worst in terms of not spinning at all was with bones big balls. It was totally dry when I took it apart, though I was able to clean the parts and reassemble with success (limited number of balls made putting it back togeher a snap). Currently trying to reassemble the swiss bearing and this one is considerably harder to get all the balls to line up and sit properly. After much manipulation I was able to get the balls back on the inner race, but even so it did not spin well. All the parts are clean now so I'm at a loss as to why it's still spinning as if there is an obstruction of some sort. Maybe the fretting that manysnakes mentioned? I picked up some speed cream and can try that if you guys think it would do the trick. Some people on here were saying it deadened their ride so I was hesitant to give it a go, but am open to whatever makes this thing spin properly!

I do a lot of backside feebles and hurricanes, so I'm guessing this is putting more pressure on this wheel in particular.

Most people I know who do a full take apart routine on bearings of any grade usually have issues with them never being quite the same again, so the most I would do is usually pop shields off, check if there is anything inside them, use a degreaser on them to get them spinning again and if that is all it takes, make sure the shields are flat (not bent), put them back on and put the bearings back on the board and skate.

It might almost be the most simple routine, but it works and most bearings come good and stay reasonable enough just with that alone.  Been doing that for a long, long time and it works, usually my main boards having Bones Swiss, but I also have other brands and various quality levels on some setups too.

I did hear there was an issue with the Bones Big Balls cage, which tended to have faults and break.

Also with getting bearings back in, put the shield on the outer part and lay shield side down, put the inner part in to one side and the seven balls should go in easily enough sitting on the back of the shield on one side, then use something fine to space them out around and gently push the bearing cage down over them.  I saw and learned this from someone posting a video on here a while back, no force, no pressure or issues and it works so well.

When using lube on clean and dry bearings, one drop is usually plenty, two at the absolute most and yes they will sound more flat for a while after that, but they come good again and skate better than raw / dry / no lube or anything else in them as well as keeping the bearing life going too.

Anyway, this was from the other day, which fits fairly well here, even if it is just for the pictures.  I don't like metal shields or metal bearing cage parts, so anything with rubber shields and the usual nylon ball retainers should work well, as long as they hold everything in tightly.  A loose bearing arrangement that shakes or moves a lot is going to be less likely to last or hold up to skateboarding than a tight one, like Swiss and other good bearings.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #812 on: April 26, 2022, 02:39:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Shields on or off?

[close]

[close]

Most people I know who do a full take apart routine on bearings of any grade usually have issues with them never being quite the same again, so the most I would do is usually pop shields off, check if there is anything inside them, use a degreaser on them to get them spinning again and if that is all it takes, make sure the shields are flat (not bent), put them back on and put the bearings back on the board and skate.

It might almost be the most simple routine, but it works and most bearings come good and stay reasonable enough just with that alone.  Been doing that for a long, long time and it works, usually my main boards having Bones Swiss, but I also have other brands and various quality levels on some setups too.

I did hear there was an issue with the Bones Big Balls cage, which tended to have faults and break.

Also with getting bearings back in, put the shield on the outer part and lay shield side down, put the inner part in to one side and the seven balls should go in easily enough sitting on the back of the shield on one side, then use something fine to space them out around and gently push the bearing cage down over them.  I saw and learned this from someone posting a video on here a while back, no force, no pressure or issues and it works so well.

When using lube on clean and dry bearings, one drop is usually plenty, two at the absolute most and yes they will sound more flat for a while after that, but they come good again and skate better than raw / dry / no lube or anything else in them as well as keeping the bearing life going too.

Anyway, this was from the other day, which fits fairly well here, even if it is just for the pictures.  I don't like metal shields or metal bearing cage parts, so anything with rubber shields and the usual nylon ball retainers should work well, as long as they hold everything in tightly.  A loose bearing arrangement that shakes or moves a lot is going to be less likely to last or hold up to skateboarding than a tight one, like Swiss and other good bearings.

I recently learned it is easier to re-assemble bearings if you work on a soft surface. Put everything on a towel for example and you can easily push the balls back into the bearing ring and cages and all that stuff.

Sorry for my bad english I am awake for 30 hours
IG: @flowterspace

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #813 on: April 26, 2022, 05:47:35 PM »

I recently learned it is easier to re-assemble bearings if you work on a soft surface. Put everything on a towel for example and you can easily push the balls back into the bearing ring and cages and all that stuff.

Sorry for my bad english I am awake for 30 hours

Yes that makes perfect sense, not a worry and not bad english either!

I remember when I used to have to work super long hours and was often awake way too often.  Thankfully I am done with that now though.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #814 on: April 26, 2022, 06:31:39 PM »
Does anyone ever wish that all woodshops or brands adhered to how length is measured ( including concave or not).

Recently going through some major board madness right now. Been really digging the Alien 8.75 shape. However, I wish it was a tad shorter. 32, 32.12. I love the 14.25 wheelbase tho with some 151 thunders. Enjoi has a board with the dims I want but I can't do the steep kicks.

Also, what are there all these 32.5 + length boards about? Whose skating those? I guess good for transition? Either way, I have the worst habit of getting comfy on niche shapes and then hating them

/
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 02:00:50 PM by TurdyBird »
The chillest1

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #815 on: April 26, 2022, 06:59:54 PM »
has anyone here tried those madness decks with the 'grip grooves'?
i'm curious as to how they work, and what their actual benefit is. to me, it seems like having more grip on your slides is a detriment if anything.
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
« Reply #816 on: April 26, 2022, 07:05:01 PM »
has anyone here tried those madness decks with the 'grip grooves'?
i'm curious as to how they work, and what their actual benefit is. to me, it seems like having more grip on your slides is a detriment if anything.

They're meant for grab tricks, not slides.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #817 on: April 26, 2022, 07:14:32 PM »
Also, what are there all these 32.5 + length boards about? Whose skating those? I guess good for transition? Either way, I have the worse habit of getting comfy on niche shapes and then hating them

/

I’m skating a Quasi 8.5 x 33

Last 2 shapes were the same Quasi 8.5 at 32.25, but measured through the concave so the deck is about 31.9 long

I wanted the little extra length to see if it works for me. So far I prefer the shorter deck for flip trucks and the longer deck for ollies and grinds. I think I’ll go back to the shorter one after this

If the length is closer to 33” then it’s likely measured through the concaves and not tip to tip

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #818 on: April 26, 2022, 07:19:32 PM »
Does anyone ever wish that all woodshops or brands adhered to how length is measured ( including concave or not).

Recently going through some major board madness right now. Been really digging the Alien 8.75 shape. However, I wish it was a tad shorter. 32, 32.12. I love the 14.25 wheelbase tho with some 151 thunders. Enjoi has a board with the dims I want but I can't do the steep kicks.

Also, what are there all these 32.5 + length boards about? Whose skating those? I guess good for transition? Either way, I have the worse habit of getting comfy on niche shapes and then hating them

I think PS Stix is the only one that really does the "measure with concave" for length, so anything from PS Stix that says 32.25 is more like 31.85 or so, at least from the boards I have checked myself and from what others have said too.

Mostly everything else is measured straight across from tip to tip with graphic side down, which gives a more accurate and more uniform way to measure boards.

Those AWS decks sure are long in the kicks with their shorter wheelbase, but other boards are the same if not longer overall, usually with slightly longer wheelbases which result in slightly more normal (and shorter) kicks, but in saying that the bigger boards are often up to 6.75 in tail length, with 7.25 noses, maybe 14.5 to 15" wheelbases so work out nicely proportionate at 32.5 up to 33" in total length, like the AH orange eagle, which is a big board, but still works.

As for something similar, the Polar 8.75 has a much smaller tail by comparison to AWS decks and is a touch shorter overall when I had them back to back, with the AH white eagle in 8.75 being only ever so slightly longer overall, but with a longer wheelbase and what I would consider very good nose and tail lengths, but that is just me.

When it comes to concave, there are a lot more things to check or note there too, different woodshops having different kicks on their decks, some more mellow and spoon like (BBS) and others very quick and steep (Dwindle) but there are quite a few in between as well.  It just takes a while to go through boards in person, look at them, stand on them and feel out what seems like it would be more comfortable.

Everyone has their own preferences, as well as different boards in different shops / areas / countries, so there is no way to really say this one is best, that one is ok, the other ones are bad, unless you are in the same place and standing on the same boards, but even then I know I have different thoughts on some boards to other people I skate with.

At least if you get a feel for what concave you prefer, the Woodshop list should help a bit in working out what you might want to try, but I am often surprised when I go somewhere that has a good range and could spend a while standing on all the boards in certain sizes just to see what they are like, definitely some more comfortable than others.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • <3
« Reply #819 on: April 26, 2022, 08:20:40 PM »
@Mbrimson88 you're a goddamn gem on these 'boards. Thank you so much!

Have always been curious what the difference would be between ps stix and all the other woodshops. That was huge.

I'm just starting to get use of the concept of proportions which feels stupid to say in a sentence. I think the disconnect is I started skating a lot more regularly at the start of the pandemic.  Been having to go off dimensions!

My skate shop is only doing pick ups and deliveries still I think. I need to call them. Otherwise, I'll check what the surf shops have. Really curious about the Huffer
The chillest1

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1347
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #820 on: April 27, 2022, 12:15:50 AM »
Anybody know the wheelbases on Sci Fi Fantasy decks? Specifically looking for whatever the Ryan Lay decks have? I know his Welcome boards had longer wheelbases so I'm expecting something loooong.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • <3
« Reply #821 on: April 27, 2022, 12:30:04 AM »

The chillest1

Slugboi22

• Rep: 69
« Reply #822 on: April 27, 2022, 01:08:23 AM »
i might just be overthinking it all and i know this is a silly question but do skinnier boards actually flip easier/ faster than wider ones? Or is it more about the wheelbase? I’ve been considering sizing down from 8.5 to 8.38 but worried about hating how small it’ll feel. for reference i’m on a polar 8.5 with 14.5 wb and am considering trying their 8.3 shape

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #823 on: April 27, 2022, 05:08:06 AM »
i might just be overthinking it all and i know this is a silly question but do skinnier boards actually flip easier/ faster than wider ones? Or is it more about the wheelbase? I’ve been considering sizing down from 8.5 to 8.38 but worried about hating how small it’ll feel. for reference i’m on a polar 8.5 with 14.5 wb and am considering trying their 8.3 shape
Narrower boards are actually easier to flip, but the difference between 8.5" and 8.38" will be barely noticeable.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #824 on: April 27, 2022, 05:16:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Narrower boards are actually easier to flip, but the difference between 8.5" and 8.38" will be barely noticeable.
To get the smaller board flipping faster benefit you will need to also size down your trucks. Having trucks wider than board actually might make your board a little harder to flip. Wide board with smaller trucks will flip fast but can get a bit hard to handle at speed.

Solex

« Reply #825 on: April 27, 2022, 05:25:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
To get the smaller board flipping faster benefit you will need to also size down your trucks. Having trucks wider than board actually might make your board a little harder to flip. Wide board with smaller trucks will flip fast but can get a bit hard to handle at speed.
For sure. :)

It's all about inertia and leverage!

Slugboi22

• Rep: 69
« Reply #826 on: April 27, 2022, 09:10:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
For sure. :)

It's all about inertia and leverage!
Thank you both for the reply! I’m hesitant to go down in trucks because i have some good grooves going on my AF1 55s. their weight has never bothered me too bad and i think they will pair well with an 8.38! Next time i grab a board i’m making the change! :)

LebowskisRug

« Reply #827 on: April 27, 2022, 09:26:04 AM »

This is wrong, the 8.5 is a bog standard BBS shape: 8.5x32.25x14.5. 8.38 has 14.38 and 8.25 has 14.25.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #828 on: April 27, 2022, 10:45:18 AM »
Why can’t I feeble on ledges or slappy curbs?

My front wheel just doesn’t move when I hit the ledge or curb.

Second question : does skateboarding age people like crazy ? To me skaters look pretty wasted when they hit mid 30s or many even earlier.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #829 on: April 27, 2022, 10:51:25 AM »

Second question : does skateboarding age people like crazy ? To me skaters look pretty wasted when they hit mid 30s or many even earlier.
It's not nice on the body so I'm sure most skaters in their 30s have days when their ankles, knees, hips, back are playing up and walk like an elderly person but overall I usually see more the opposite. If I ever see someone I went to school with the majority of the time it's "woah they look fucked. Maybe that's their dad"

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #830 on: April 27, 2022, 11:35:07 AM »

I feel like 30yo skaters might look 40, but 60yo skaters still look 40

LebowskisRug

« Reply #831 on: April 27, 2022, 11:36:50 AM »

Their 8.5 has a 14.38 as does their 8.38. The tail and nose are a tiny bit shorter and it's a tiny bit narrower. Imagine taking 1/16" off the board the entire way around. That's basically it.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #832 on: April 27, 2022, 11:38:11 AM »
Something even crazier….your 8 3/8’s may actually be the same width….

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • <3
« Reply #833 on: April 27, 2022, 12:49:37 PM »
Expand Quote

/
[close]

I’m skating a Quasi 8.5 x 33

Last 2 shapes were the same Quasi 8.5 at 32.25, but measured through the concave so the deck is about 31.9 long

I wanted the little extra length to see if it works for me. So far I prefer the shorter deck for flip trucks and the longer deck for ollies and grinds. I think I’ll go back to the shorter one after this

If the length is closer to 33” then it’s likely measured through the concaves and not tip to tip
how long is the 33" Quasi tip to tip?
The chillest1

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • <3
« Reply #834 on: April 27, 2022, 12:53:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is wrong, the 8.5 is a bog standard BBS shape: 8.5x32.25x14.5. 8.38 has 14.38 and 8.25 has 14.25.

Alien is mostly pressed by bbs and have a 8.5 x 32.25 x14.25.
Also, not sure why you brought up the other sizes, as their seem to only be the two sizes for the Ryan Lay pro board.

Not trying to come off defensive either! Just stating what I know.
The chillest1

manysnakes

« Reply #835 on: April 27, 2022, 12:54:05 PM »

If anything the opposite is true. Keeping active into adulthood demonstrably slows many of the processes of aging. If you stayed a drunken burnout for the entire time, you’re probably fucked, but every talented skater over 30 I know is at least partially interested in diet and fitness, and that interest only seems to increase as you reach your 40s and skating with caring for yourself becomes functionally impossible.

Solex

« Reply #836 on: April 27, 2022, 12:56:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel like 30yo skaters might look 40, but 60yo skaters still look 40
I can't wait to see if 80 years old skaters will look like they are 20  :D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 01:16:11 PM by Solex »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #837 on: April 27, 2022, 01:38:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Their 8.5 has a 14.38 as does their 8.38. The tail and nose are a tiny bit shorter and it's a tiny bit narrower. Imagine taking 1/16" off the board the entire way around. That's basically it.

That’s true about the wheelbase. How insignificantly small the difference between 8.5” and 8.375” is, the Polar decks of those sizes feel very different. The 8.375” feels crazy small compared to the 8.5” for some reason. I was really surprised by this back when I first got both. The 8.375” I really liked even though it felt quite small for me. The 8.5” I never really spent much time with for some reason. Gotta set it up this summer and see how I like it.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #838 on: April 27, 2022, 02:22:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If anything the opposite is true. Keeping active into adulthood demonstrably slows many of the processes of aging. If you stayed a drunken burnout for the entire time, you’re probably fucked, but every talented skater over 30 I know is at least partially interested in diet and fitness, and that interest only seems to increase as you reach your 40s and skating with caring for yourself becomes functionally impossible.

Yup, 30 y/o here, I eat healthy and workout 5-6 times a week (I know it's frowned upon to workout among young skaters because it's not cool, but w/e). People never believe me when I say I'm 30, they always think I'm below 25.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
« Reply #839 on: April 27, 2022, 03:39:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yup, 30 y/o here, I eat healthy and workout 5-6 times a week (I know it's frowned upon to workout among young skaters because it's not cool, but w/e). People never believe me when I say I'm 30, they always think I'm below 25.

Do some skaters unironically think that working out and being healthy in general is some kook shit?