Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 221229 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1994
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1230 on: June 13, 2022, 05:57:28 PM »
What’s the best dunk substitute? Just started skating some, for the first time in forever, great for skating (weird for wearing, doesn’t fit my old guy ‘vibes’). Obviously I’m not going to get anymore, anytime soon, and AJ1s are also super hard to find…so fastbreaks? Tiagos? Ishod’s? What’s my slim thick cupsole?
(I know this question has been asked a bazillion times, and I just end up forgetting the answers, and kinda zoning out on the convo’s cuz I forgot how comfy/decent the flick is).

Lakai Telfords? Replace the Nike Swoosh with the Lakai logo on the side and bam. Kyonosuke was wearing them in his Primitive part and they looked great.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1132
« Reply #1231 on: June 13, 2022, 07:07:26 PM »
Expand Quote
What’s the best dunk substitute? Just started skating some, for the first time in forever, great for skating (weird for wearing, doesn’t fit my old guy ‘vibes’). Obviously I’m not going to get anymore, anytime soon, and AJ1s are also super hard to find…so fastbreaks? Tiagos? Ishod’s? What’s my slim thick cupsole?
(I know this question has been asked a bazillion times, and I just end up forgetting the answers, and kinda zoning out on the convo’s cuz I forgot how comfy/decent the flick is).
[close]

Lakai Telfords? Replace the Nike Swoosh with the Lakai logo on the side and bam. Kyonosuke was wearing them in his Primitive part and they looked great.

Ha. I’ll give em a shot!
Aesthetically, I like LRAB. Nikes fit me, have pretty much always been tts, and ‘just work’. But…I’d rather not.
If the Lakais are decent I’ll definitely give ‘em a shot. I like the look of Simon’s shoe. The last Lakais I had were the proto and they were…ok. At best.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1056
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1232 on: June 13, 2022, 07:38:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Ok so I'm not fucking insane- this anti hero has a 6.875 tail vs 6.625 and 7.25 nose vs 7.0625 on the Baker. I measured with the concave for both as this takes into account the steepness, but even measuring straight across they're different. The Baker ends up at 32 on the dot vs the Anti Hero at 32.25 (straight across).
[close]

I prefer, by quite a bit, boards 32 or less. Out of length, width, wb…length (once thought to be the least relevant) is the least fungible.
Dlx shapes have been too long, full, and steep for me…unless in skating an 8ish bird and then whatever works.
I’ve loved baker boards in the past, like few others. I swear the wood/molds are slightly different, but knowledgeable persons that I believe have the correct info assure me I am incorrect. I had some conspiracy theories about generator, bbs, generator-bbs…but yeah. Gibberish On my part. I’ve tried to not go down the tail length rabbit hole, but it’s difficult for me to ignore that tail lengths greater than 6.6 are pretty much out for me. 6.5 is better. Nose doesn’t need to be over 7, prefer less. This may be why I’ve started to like longer wb’s, but total lengths up to 32: shorter lengths for nose and tail. All I know is I don’t know shit.
But I’d rather ride a baker than a dlx

I think at the end of the day, there is always going to be some difference between boards, even between two 8.38 eagles, I noticed slight differences in length, width, concave and kicks, but that is what happens with boards that might be made in the same place, but on different presses or even different places in a press, but the same shape is cut with computer automation, then human hand sanded maybe some more or some less, etc.  It has been said before the DLX boards have dedicated presses, but who knows.  They definitely have different wood stain layups compared to other brands, so when they do them in bulk there will be separate processes right there.

Bolting four different brands together through the deck bolt holes in a stack, they were all the same size, shape, etc but that is not to say that this lot is the same as another lot of boards produced another time from the same location.  Trying to take pics didn't really show enough or were clear with things, back when I did it with 8.5 boards and then with 8.38 boards.  I used a Baker, DLX, Element and Birdhouse, then swapped them around with a couple of DLX at either end, just to mix and match.

Any which way I know with having so many of the same boards set up at the same time, each one feels a bit different, some more stiff, others more flexible, along with all the other variables as mentioned so I am used to that side of things.

I guess that is where companies like Dwindle whose product is so much more uniform are leading the quality control game, but I know I can't deal with the concave and feel of those boards, whereas others will only ride them, given every board feels exactly the same.

Edit:

I went and found seven of the 8.38 decks including Baker, Birdhouse, Element, Organica (Kayo / DGK era), Antihero, Real and Krooked so here is the pic from them all standing together, give or take less than a few mm all up, but really all the same.

NOTE: Although these are all within 1 to 2 mm, even just a .25" is not that much, only about 6 mm so they are still all around their listed lengths anyway, the average being about 32.2 all up, some at 32 even, some at 32.12 and others at 32.25 total length.

Again not doubting other boards are different, especially given only the DLX boards in this lot are from this year, all the rest from a while ago.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 06:46:59 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Banned from the room

« Reply #1233 on: June 13, 2022, 08:42:43 PM »
Expand Quote
How do I become an actor? Should I get a manager or an agent?

How does one even find out where to try out for roles?

I know I’m always going to be a bad guy or a homeless person so I can deal with it.

I can sing I’m a pretty good dancer. I can switch flip sometimes so that’s kinda cool.

I can cry on command. Get shaking and foaming at the mouth angry first try.

I can play 9 instruments. I can paint a mural.

I can’t swim tho.

What would you do pal? I wanna work in pictures
[close]
If you’re looking for gigs sign up for mandy.com or check your states (or nearby large city’s) film office for listings. Doing student films in a local university is a good way to build up a demo reel. There’s a lot you can do in your area, unless you live in Alaska or some shit lol, that won’t require you to pack up and move to LA or NY since you’re just starting out. Don’t worry about agents or managers yet- just start small and focus on getting a solid resume with a good bit of variety… then comes the fun in joining SAG lol best of luck to you. Some great advice I heard once is that “acting is the humiliating… once you accept that, you can do anything” Kill the ego and lose yourself etc

Thanks I appreciate. Ima try to follow this advice.

I should not have bailed on ghost busters the remake. I just got hip to the blasphemers plot to make a sucker flick. Decided that my jackets were too good for their fake concert footage.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1187
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1234 on: June 13, 2022, 09:11:13 PM »
Has anyone tried the Neen Footprint shoe? I see that they are on sale and Im tempted to try them out.

If you get them come back with a review. I was definitely curious about them. Seems sort of gimmicky but if it works it works

Doosh215

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #1235 on: June 13, 2022, 09:17:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ha. I’ll give em a shot!
Aesthetically, I like LRAB. Nikes fit me, have pretty much always been tts, and ‘just work’. But…I’d rather not.
If the Lakais are decent I’ll definitely give ‘em a shot. I like the look of Simon’s shoe. The last Lakais I had were the proto and they were…ok. At best.

Love my Telfords and they come in a high and a low. Some people don't like that the sole is thin but, but I like it because the board feel is great right out of the box. And I don't really jump down anything big so that doesn't bother me at all. Just a heads up though it looks like they are changing the sole on them to the same one as the atlantic for the ones coming out at the end of this year/beginning of next. Given the catalogs I've seen it looks like they're going to be sticking with that sole going forward. But maybe they'll make both? I don't know. Current sole vs upcoming below.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1994
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1236 on: June 13, 2022, 11:59:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Has anyone tried the Neen Footprint shoe? I see that they are on sale and Im tempted to try them out.
[close]

If you get them come back with a review. I was definitely curious about them. Seems sort of gimmicky but if it works it works

From the friends who have ridden them - cushion and impact protection is great especially if you have a regular foot shape. If you have flat feet (collapsed arch), the arch support is insufficient.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ha. I’ll give em a shot!
[close]

Love my Telfords and they come in a high and a low. Some people don't like that the sole is thin but, but I like it because the board feel is great right out of the box. And I don't really jump down anything big so that doesn't bother me at all. Just a heads up though it looks like they are changing the sole on them to the same one as the atlantic for the ones coming out at the end of this year/beginning of next. Given the catalogs I've seen it looks like they're going to be sticking with that sole going forward. But maybe they'll make both? I don't know. Current sole vs upcoming below.

Damn the yellow and black ones are looking hot!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #1237 on: June 14, 2022, 12:41:27 AM »
Does anyone remember the trucks that were shaped like this?

They were kind of spikey, but rounded in between the spikes like it was meant for your fingers to grab them? I think they had 1 or 2 less spikes and more space for your fingers than I drew here.

They either looked like this, or had a red baseplate, I can't remember.

I remember someone I knew had these trucks and I thought they were so cool looking, but in retrospect, I bet they are awful for many different grinds.

Can anyone remember the brand or model name? For some reason Creature (or something along those lines... Monster? Viscera? No idea.) is coming to mind, but I can't find any evidence of them on the internet at the moment.

Anyone have any leads? Does anyone else even remember these (early 2000s)?
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 874
« Reply #1238 on: June 14, 2022, 12:48:08 AM »

They were kind of spikey, but rounded in between the spikes like it was meant for your fingers to grab them? I think they had 1 or 2 less spikes and more space for your fingers than I drew here.

I remember someone I knew had these trucks and I thought they were so cool looking, but in retrospect, I bet they are awful for many different grinds.

Can anyone remember the brand or model name? For some reason Creature (or something along those lines... Monster? Viscera? No idea.) is coming to mind, but I can't find any evidence of them on the internet at the moment.

Kreper

Knee Pain

• Rep: 42
« Reply #1239 on: June 14, 2022, 12:51:12 AM »

FuzzGNU

« Reply #1240 on: June 14, 2022, 12:51:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Kreper

Thank you!! I found it at the same time as you by digging through an Internet Archive of a 2001 CCS magazine haha!

Here is a pic I found online if anyone is curious:

That's been driving me crazy for years! I appreciate it.

Did anyone skate them? How were they? Was it purely aesthetic, or did it make mallgrabbing easier/more comfortable?

FuzzGNU

« Reply #1241 on: June 14, 2022, 12:53:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

LOL, omg that is the EXACT CCS listing I found (but the upload I found was worse resolution). Thanks a ton guys, I don't know why I didn't ask earlier considering I got two instant responses. I appreciate it.

EDIT:  I just noticed the glow in the dark part.

Someone needs to put together the ultimate night board. Glow in the dark Spitfires, Krepers, hardware (I had some, not sure what brand).... Just found this video of glowing griptape:

And the cherry on top? Pop a tail devil on that shit.

What skate company is going to have the BALLS to do it, at least ironically? Bronze 56k? Quasi? Who's going to do it?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 01:04:45 AM by FuzzGNU »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1242 on: June 14, 2022, 01:06:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Kreper
[close]

Thank you!! I found it at the same time as you by digging through an Internet Archive of a 2001 CCS magazine haha!

Here is a pic I found online if anyone is curious:

That's been driving me crazy for years! I appreciate it.

Did anyone skate them? How were they? Was it purely aesthetic, or did it make mallgrabbing easier/more comfortable?
Yeah basically just aesthetic a friend had them and they were just grind king's. Really wobbly even if done up tight. 

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1243 on: June 14, 2022, 04:35:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

LOL, omg that is the EXACT CCS listing I found (but the upload I found was worse resolution). Thanks a ton guys, I don't know why I didn't ask earlier considering I got two instant responses. I appreciate it.

EDIT:  I just noticed the glow in the dark part.

Someone needs to put together the ultimate night board. Glow in the dark Spitfires, Krepers, hardware (I had some, not sure what brand).... Just found this video of glowing griptape:

And the cherry on top? Pop a tail devil on that shit.

What skate company is going to have the BALLS to do it, at least ironically? Bronze 56k? Quasi? Who's going to do it?

I have glow in the dark Spitfires and a glow in the dark Real Ishod 8.5” twin tail still in the stack. Not looking to part with either but I wouldn’t mind some glow in the dark Krepers!  ;)

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 309
« Reply #1244 on: June 15, 2022, 07:06:01 AM »
I have some Bones Swiss that won’t roll. I tried taking out the shield and cleaning them but nothing really. Do I need to buy the cleaning kit? Or just keep the shields off and eventually the dirt and rocks will fall out?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1245 on: June 15, 2022, 07:27:48 AM »
Easiest way to clean a bearing is pop the shields and leave them in the wheel. Spray some isopropyl alcohol (the higher the % the better in) and spin the wheel. If it feels gritty, wipe with an old t shirt or lint free cloth and repeat until it feels more or less smooth. Don't be afraid to get it fairly wet. If you're using 99% it's mostly alcohol and will evaporate. Once it feels smooth wipe any extra off and put a single drop of lube in and keep spinning that fucker. Wipe and clean the shields and pop back on.

You don't need a bearing cleaning kit. I've never found that shaking the bearing around in a bottle does anything. You need to bring the junk from inside to the surface and get it off.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #1246 on: June 15, 2022, 08:34:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
pretty niche question but here goes...do the Adidas Puigs fit/skate similarly to the Copa Nationales? I love skating the Copas after they've broken in, and I enjoy the look of the Puigs. very curious.
[close]

Puigs have a little more wiggle room up front and a better heel lock-in. The Copa and the Tyshawn seem to have tighter toe boxes than most of the other recent models, and the Copa heel is pretty low. I had a bit of slip when I started wearing those. Still love them, though.

I should also mention that the Copas I had were the leather ones with the suede toe cap and serrated stripes (the ones that look like the Copa soccer cleat).

[close]

this is super helpful, thank you! also the answer I wanted to hear, I have kind of wider feet so the Copas were tight at first but great once broken in. good to know! now to cop some shoes that I definitely don't need right now haha.
[close]

How long do they take to break in?  I've got a pair of the white leather ones and they hurt my feet to skate and are pretty broken in.  I ordered a pair of suede ones thinking maybe they would stretch a bit easier, but they also kinda hurt.  I've tried the 3ST004s and Tyshawns and those both hurt as well.  Busenitz are the only ones that feel like butter from beginning to end, but I'm looking for a shoe that lasts longer in the ollie area and maybe has a sole stiffer than cheese.

I mean, the heel stopped slipping after a few wears, but mine felt pretty nice out of the box. I think they’re just a very snug-fitting, supportive shoe since they’re so closely derived from an indoor soccer style.

IpathCats

« Reply #1247 on: June 17, 2022, 04:32:07 AM »
Does anyone have a good/easy way to remove pivot cups without scratching your baseplates up? I usually use some combo of a screwdriver and pliers to get them out, but I always end up scratching up my baseplates a bit and it takes a while. Pry some, pull some, pry some, pull some.

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #1248 on: June 17, 2022, 06:03:50 AM »
are sling bags hype/gimmicks or is there real utility there? (when compared to a backpack)

are waist bags better?  growing up these were relics of the 80s that no one wore anymore

are they so 2017?

IpathCats

« Reply #1249 on: June 17, 2022, 06:07:47 AM »
are sling bags hype/gimmicks or is there real utility there? (when compared to a backpack)

are they so 2017?

Probably a bit of both. I can imagine them being nice if you're trying to travel light around a city skating all day. I always sweat about putting my backpack/camera bag down so i can skate when im in the city.

But they're also in trend and rappers wear them, so there's that.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #1250 on: June 17, 2022, 06:35:24 AM »
Does anyone have a good/easy way to remove pivot cups without scratching your baseplates up? I usually use some combo of a screwdriver and pliers to get them out, but I always end up scratching up my baseplates a bit and it takes a while. Pry some, pull some, pry some, pull some.

Anything long with a point. I use a small metal file, gently wedge the point down into the side of the cup, and sorta lift/pry it up at the same time. Never had trouble. They usually pop all the way out with one or two tries.

IpathCats

« Reply #1251 on: June 17, 2022, 06:41:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Anything long with a point. I use a small metal file, gently wedge the point down into the side of the cup, and sorta lift/pry it up at the same time. Never had trouble. They usually pop all the way out with one or two tries.

Yea, i guess i just need something thinner

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 761
« Reply #1252 on: June 17, 2022, 06:54:32 AM »

I try to surgically grab the inside of top edge of the pivot cup with needle-nose pliers.  It’s usually pretty successful.  Sometimes the pivot cup gets a little messed up but the baseplate is scratch-free.

IpathCats

« Reply #1253 on: June 17, 2022, 07:08:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I try to surgically grab the inside of top edge of the pivot cup with needle-nose pliers.  It’s usually pretty successful.  Sometimes the pivot cup gets a little messed up but the baseplate is scratch-free.

I'm sure some better pliers would help too, but i swear even when i get a good grip on it, i have to pull it like 20 times.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1254 on: June 17, 2022, 07:22:13 AM »

If you don't care about the pivot cup you're taking out you can cut it (even cut it in half if you're lucky)with an exacto knife then pretty easy to get out with pliers

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1187
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1255 on: June 17, 2022, 08:06:02 AM »

are waist bags better?  growing up these were relics of the 80s that no one wore anymore

are they so 2017?

i don't like carrying a backpack and I have a bunch of fanny packs/sling bags from cycling. they're definitely my go to if i'm skating around and need to carry some stuff. I have the Chrome Cardiel Shank and i bring it with me on every trip.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1056
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1256 on: June 17, 2022, 05:45:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm sure some better pliers would help too, but i swear even when i get a good grip on it, i have to pull it like 20 times.

The needle nosed pliers or even a smaller flat head screwdriver is my usual go to.

Jam one arm of the pliers (or the screwdriver) in about 3/4 of the way up the side of the pivot cup so that it goes into the material and lever it up enough to get the pliers to get a firm grip on the top lip of it.  I have had some come apart, but for the most part the stock ones and even some really snug after market pivot cups usually come out easily enough.

@Mean salto  Never had to cut it up to get it out but that is a good idea if the thing is stuck in there.  Guessing if you want it out, you are not about to put it back in anything.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1257 on: June 17, 2022, 11:54:14 PM »
If you want it out because it’s done for, I’ve found that it’s quite easy to get out with a wine bottle opener/corkscrew. Just stick that inside the pivot cup bushing and pry it out. No need to touch the baseplate at all so minimal chance of fucking up the baseplate.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #1258 on: June 18, 2022, 01:35:59 AM »
Anyone else feel that its way easier to do/land flip tricks on low trucks?

At first I used to skate taller trucks, and really struggled with flip tricks. Then, the peak of my flip trick ability came once I switched to Venture Lows. It was sort of an epiphany. Then I started skating Indy Standards Highs I basically stopped being able to do as many flip tricks again.

I don't plan on switching back to lows (I love skating Aces with 56mm wheels too much), but I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #1259 on: June 18, 2022, 03:07:07 AM »
Anyone else feel that its way easier to do/land flip tricks on low trucks?

At first I used to skate taller trucks, and really struggled with flip tricks. Then, the peak of my flip trick ability came once I switched to Venture Lows. It was sort of an epiphany. Then I started skating Indy Standards Highs I basically stopped being able to do as many flip tricks again.

I don't plan on switching back to lows (I love skating Aces with 56mm wheels too much), but I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience?

No, but now I want to try low trucks.  :D
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro