Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 202049 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1500 on: August 05, 2022, 07:36:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I know it's not really shoes and gear but..
What would be good specs for a mini ramp ?
With good i mean, good for beginners but also for advanced skaters.
We managed to get the city to build a new park in my town.
They give us 650K €. At the moment we are planing everything and i think the park would benefit from a mini ramp.
Maybe with some extensions.
[close]
This is at Waterloo/Fernside Sydney. I loved this ramp I think it was about 4-5 feet high. Was enjoyed by beginners and skilled skaters. Has since been updated as a concrete ramp, but I'm assuming it's considerably more expensive. I think a bit of a trap people fall for is thinking catering to beginners means making tiny parks but usually they fucking suck and are barely fun for more than ten mins.
[close]
Looks kinda perfect. I just got an email from the company that builds the park.
They think about a mini out of wood, 32 feet wide , 2,8 feet high with 2 extensions of 5 feet high..
Sounds kinda to low
[close]

I think the old Fernside / Waterloo ramp was 3.5 in the middle and 4.5 or so on the extension, but it has been too long since skating it anyway.

Measure heights of things, so 3 feet is just over waist high (90 cms) and 5 ft is about chest / shoulder high (150 cms) which could definitely work for everyone, with 6 ft being over head height for some people.

Overall width is the main thing.  Having a ramp that is not wide enough is a real pain, but having something that is proportional to the height and allows good lines is also something worth considering.

I think having the middle fairly wide with matching extensions on facing ends, one end taller or different to the other end, can really work, like a lop sided H shape, so middle 3 ft, one set of extensions at one end being 4 ft high, then the other set of extensions being 5 ft, so you can skate a 3 ft halfpipe, a 4 ft halfpipe or a 5 ft half pipe, or use the extensions to get a lot of speed to grind or slide across the lower middle section.

This is what I built in a shed and has been amazing fun.  My ramp is on the lower side, just to fit it in and be proportional to the shed dimensions.

[close]
Thanks so much man, Amazing info and i really like your ramp.  Can I use your pic as an example to show the other guys ?

Yes, easy.   

Anything I put up is open to whatever.  I mainly do it to help others, give info, etc.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

vicious cycle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #1501 on: August 07, 2022, 05:17:23 AM »
What's the most breathable cupsole shoe ?
I'm really struggling with hot feet and its shortening my sessions a good amount.
I'm running the Joslin 1 atm. Basically because they advertise a cooling effect with the new tong. But my feet are burning in them, even with thin socks.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #1502 on: August 07, 2022, 05:27:13 AM »
I'm really struggling with hot feet and its shortening my sessions a good amount.
I'm running the Joslin 1 atm. Basically because they advertise a cooling effect with the new tong. But my feet are burning in them, even with thin socks.
Never had a skate shoe that was actually that breathable even if that was one of its selling points so my trick was always stab everywhere that's not in a high wear area with an exacto knife a bunch of times and make sure your holes go all the way thru. Or if you have chisels get one that's a kinda acute angle stab and twist so you get a little circle hole. Got me thru some Aus summers. 

vicious cycle

« Reply #1503 on: August 07, 2022, 06:16:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Never had a skate shoe that was actually that breathable even if that was one of its selling points so my trick was always stab everywhere that's not in a high wear area with an exacto knife a bunch of times and make sure your holes go all the way thru. Or if you have chisels get one that's a kinda acute angle stab and twist so you get a little circle hole. Got me thru some Aus summers.
Gonna try this. Never thought about it but makes perfect sense.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #1504 on: August 07, 2022, 06:30:14 AM »
Yo 90s guys what was the deal with the longboards in the mid 90s? Not like a sector 9 just a regular board that was 35 long or something. I think Fred gall skates one in timecode but it's kinda hard to tell. Was it just a dumb fad? (I'm guessing yes because it never came back) https://youtu.be/uSrKrJfPsI0

I was too young and midwestern to know what was going on, but one time I needed a new deck and my mom took me to the skate shop to buy the cheapest thing they had, which turned out to be a Consolidated deck on closeout. This thing was a fucking longboard, easily 1.5"-2" longer than my friends' standard 7.75" decks they were skating. It may have even been an Alan Peterson pro model. Either way, it was a fucking boat and I hated it.

Also, did Timecode always look that shitty? That's gotta be one of the most unwatchable video parts I've seen which wasn't fourth-generation VHS dub. I could barely make out anything.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

vicious cycle

« Reply #1505 on: August 07, 2022, 07:44:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
So I just used a Drill . Pretty quick solution. Made a few 6mm holes on all non wear areas. The drillbit is a mess now but I used an old one so..
Thanks .

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1506 on: August 07, 2022, 09:48:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Yo 90s guys what was the deal with the longboards in the mid 90s? Not like a sector 9 just a regular board that was 35 long or something. I think Fred gall skates one in timecode but it's kinda hard to tell. Was it just a dumb fad? (I'm guessing yes because it never came back) https://youtu.be/uSrKrJfPsI0
[close]

I was too young and midwestern to know what was going on, but one time I needed a new deck and my mom took me to the skate shop to buy the cheapest thing they had, which turned out to be a Consolidated deck on closeout. This thing was a fucking longboard, easily 1.5"-2" longer than my friends' standard 7.75" decks they were skating. It may have even been an Alan Peterson pro model. Either way, it was a fucking boat and I hated it.

Also, did Timecode always look that shitty? That's gotta be one of the most unwatchable video parts I've seen which wasn't fourth-generation VHS dub. I could barely make out anything.
Alien uploaded the whole timecode video pretty recently but it still doesn't look nice. If anyone had access to a good copy you'd think they would so maybe it never looked good. I only watch Fred and Lennie's parts anyway.
https://youtu.be/AA6qRPWTtb4

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #1507 on: August 07, 2022, 09:53:46 AM »
Does independent have a drop cycle? I'm interested in titaniums and my shops dont have 149s and I can't find em on parade or SPOT or my go to's. I don't need em right now I'm just wondering if NHS has a schedule. Should I email them

edit: Or alternatively could I ask KCDC or Labor to order them
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #1508 on: August 07, 2022, 10:06:32 AM »

I find my Puigs pretty breathable, not sure about the newest drop though.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2155
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1509 on: August 07, 2022, 10:52:33 AM »
Sounds like we’ve got a hotstepper on our hands, boys!
https://youtu.be/w0N4twV28Mw

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

eSK3

« Reply #1510 on: August 07, 2022, 12:07:47 PM »

Tiago 1010 mesh toe versions. Toe and all the way up the tongue is breathable mesh. Anyone remember how breathable the Nike SB tre was?

vicious cycle

« Reply #1511 on: August 07, 2022, 12:21:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Sounds like we’ve got a hotstepper on our hands, boys!
https://youtu.be/w0N4twV28Mw
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxNzOl5yYgHQ2LHG8XoadUJbPOkySjjE8C

vicious cycle

« Reply #1512 on: August 07, 2022, 12:25:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Tiago 1010 mesh toe versions. Toe and all the way up the tongue is breathable mesh. Anyone remember how breathable the Nike SB tre was?
Nice, looks promising !

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #1513 on: August 07, 2022, 12:35:09 PM »
The new Ishod looks meshy, my wife ordered some but they were too large for her but there weren‘t any smaller ones available.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1514 on: August 07, 2022, 06:11:50 PM »

Is it more in the shoe, or more in the type of material of sock you have on?

I have found it is better to have the thicker cotton rich socks from bulk packs than anything with a higher synthetic or acrylic mix, so none of the usual skate brands and more of the department store socks, but even some of those ones are now changing and going for more synthetic mixes.

Just a thought anyway.

Also curious how the bigger holes work out in your normal shoes too.

DERBY

• Rep: 226
« Reply #1515 on: August 08, 2022, 12:37:12 AM »

aves

vicious cycle

« Reply #1516 on: August 08, 2022, 04:47:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Is it more in the shoe, or more in the type of material of sock you have on?

I have found it is better to have the thicker cotton rich socks from bulk packs than anything with a higher synthetic or acrylic mix, so none of the usual skate brands and more of the department store socks, but even some of those ones are now changing and going for more synthetic mixes.

Just a thought anyway.

Also curious how the bigger holes work out in your normal shoes too.
My socks are mostly cotton rich because I had problems with athlete's foot last year. My thinner socks are bamboo socks. Pretty thin so not really the best choice for sakting.
But they are very breathable. I wear them for hiking and stuff. No problems with hiking shoes. I use the Adidas Terrex Skychasers there.

Bold

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1517 on: August 08, 2022, 06:07:00 AM »
Does truck width affect turn radius? Will wider trucks turn smaller or larger circles compared to more narrow trucks?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #1518 on: August 08, 2022, 07:32:53 AM »
Does truck width affect turn radius? Will wider trucks turn smaller or larger circles compared to more narrow trucks?

Absolutely, narrow trucks lead to a smaller circle

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #1519 on: August 10, 2022, 07:04:35 AM »
Has anyone ever tried to make a deck steeper?
I know you can park your car on it to mellow it out, but could you do the same thing in the opposite direction?
It has to be possible, but I'm not sure how to do it without basically bending the whole deck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1520 on: August 11, 2022, 01:03:24 AM »
Has anyone ever tried to make a deck steeper?
I know you can park your car on it to mellow it out, but could you do the same thing in the opposite direction?
It has to be possible, but I'm not sure how to do it without basically bending the whole deck.

I feel like there would be a lot more opportunity to "flex out" a deck, which is pretty much what I do when I park on it and make it more mellow, compared to try to make a kick steeper.

I think the option to park on it with warm or hot tyres would have more chance to have any effect, but if you used some sort of wedge and had the board graphic down, fixed it in place with something and put enough pressure on it over the bolts area, you might get it to bend the other way, but I feel like it wouldn't really work, compared to when I park on it graphic side up, wheel right on the back bolts area.

Boards with stiffer constructions (Dwindle and some others) will crack or even break more often than others like BBS, which flex really well for me, so just bear that in mind too.

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 164
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #1521 on: August 12, 2022, 02:27:37 PM »
Is there a directory (like the woodshop one) of companies and their involvement in skateboarding? Like are they owned by a skateboarder or do they just sell to skateboarders.

I much rather buy a t-shirt from an old pro's company instead of some artist. Just because your skate shop sells the stuff doesn't mean they're skate related.

I was about to buy a t-shirt that said Pleasures on it but all I could find out about the company is that they were out of LA, so I didn't buy it. Any help would be much appreciated

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #1522 on: August 13, 2022, 05:28:47 PM »
How did of come about? What’s the origin of of?
Full story please.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #1523 on: August 13, 2022, 06:01:11 PM »
How did of come about? What’s the origin of of?
Full story please.
Someone created a new topic and messed up spelling “Gino Off Chocolate”. They wrote “Gino Of Chocolate”. It’s stuck around ever since. That’s pretty much it

What was the Adidas shoe that was a mid-top with a strap that people were skating in the mid 2000’s before the launch of Adidas Skateboarding? Was it the Pro-Shell? Pics of the last release of that shoe don’t look to be the same

As seen 2:37-2:47
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjJVuwdzI0A&t=4s
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 06:25:27 PM by tom »
fuck you bama

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1524 on: August 13, 2022, 06:48:13 PM »
Are the new bones wheels any good?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1525 on: August 13, 2022, 08:39:51 PM »
I watched Ben Degros review the Blazers and he noted that the flick is better than Vans due to less foxing. The GT now have a higher foxing tape so was this/is this true with the Blazer lows? Or is this just BS?

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #1526 on: August 13, 2022, 09:01:22 PM »
@tom thanks. I kinda figured but ya never know until you ask.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #1527 on: August 14, 2022, 12:46:27 AM »
Late to the party but Vans Wayvee might be the shoe you're looking for

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #1528 on: August 14, 2022, 12:57:16 AM »
Does independent have a drop cycle? I'm interested in titaniums and my shops dont have 149s and I can't find em on parade or SPOT or my go to's. I don't need em right now I'm just wondering if NHS has a schedule. Should I email them

edit: Or alternatively could I ask KCDC or Labor to order them

Kinda late reply, but I actually spoke to my local about this specifically. According to the homie there, nobody that walks in buys titaniums and it makes more sense for them to just stock forged hollows. Even then, they sell standards way more than anything else. If you wanna support your local, have them order it. Otherwise, seems like Tactics and similar always has them in stock online.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1529 on: August 14, 2022, 04:10:56 AM »
Been thinking about those theeve all titanium hanger trucks and how it could be improved so basically could this work?

Ok so titanium baseplate instead and the mounting holes are smaller and threaded, have nylon so your hardware goes straight into the baseplate and doesn't need a nut. Would the hardware be able to connect the truck to the deck strong enough without a nut? Might need titanium mounting bolts too.
Could also have built in kingpin or a similar system for an inverted kingpin (may also have to be titanium).
Now also perhaps the pivot of the hanger could be titanium too so you have a titanium pivot in a titanium pivot cup and would probably never really break either again, rubber pivot cup however might get worn out faster.
Not sure how well it could be done but have the theeve all titanium hanger but with aluminium where you grind.