Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 209318 times)

silhouette

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1860 on: October 17, 2022, 07:11:21 AM »
Yeah, source: way too many years spent doing pressure flip variations, and skating with people doing them. The difference you're feeling might also be due to the new board shape and geometry, or better sturdiness and thus rebound on the trick (since it kind of is rebound based). Pressure flips are the most set-up dependent tricks I can think of in skateboarding, in my opinion. The most simple change in your set-up might affect them in a way or another and once they've gone somewhere it can take a minute (or another random set-up change) to rewire and find all the sweet spots for them again. Usually comes back quick when you've got the basic method figured out, but it can take the occasional adjustment.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #1861 on: October 17, 2022, 07:17:46 AM »
Skated four months with those decks and they didn’t come back. Usually getting used to a new setup takes like two days to me, and I got used to those decks. I loved skating them, but pressure flips were just not the same.
I could do them, but it was a struggle and it just didn’t pop as good as it does now again.

And yeah, forward flips were harder too on them, but I think cause the alien is so long.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1862 on: October 17, 2022, 11:44:49 AM »
Few questions:

-Why are forward flips with my 8.25 AWS deck so much harder than with all decks I was skating before?
Probably cause it’s damn long compared to most other decks; right? Or you think it could be nose steepness related or something else?

-why the hell i was thinking nose and tailslides suck with thunders? I was getting rid of them because of that and now I’m back on them because my new ones broke and I’m doing the best nose and tail slides I’ve ever done.
I don’t get it. Last time I had them I got stuck so easy and now it’s completely gone.
I don’t think it’s wheels related. I had bones OG’s 53 mm 100A last time and now 54 mm /some orbs 99A cause they’ve been cheap.
Btw I had venture v hollows with bones 52 mm stf’s before. 103A and even with those I didn’t slide that good.

-pressure flips and truck/deck width differences.
I guess worst case for pressure flips of all kind are smaller trucks than deck, right? Would explain why they are so easy now again that I got down to an 8.125 from an 8.25 with 8“ trucks.

I don't have any nose/tailslide issues with Thunders IF, and it is a big IF, there is a bit of flat after the bolts and the kicks are not too steep. Basically it lets me press the kicks down on top ever so slightly to get pressure off the wheel/ledge side.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #1863 on: October 18, 2022, 04:33:39 PM »
Is pinching grinds and doing slide-to-grind combinations (noselide to crook, tailslide to 5-0, etc.) technically easier on more magic carpet-leaning setups or when having your trucks flush with the deck?  I feel like I can picture pros and cons of each.  Currently going through a bit of setup madness deciding what trucks to commit to…

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #1864 on: October 18, 2022, 05:18:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Few questions:

-Why are forward flips with my 8.25 AWS deck so much harder than with all decks I was skating before?
Probably cause it’s damn long compared to most other decks; right? Or you think it could be nose steepness related or something else?

-why the hell i was thinking nose and tailslides suck with thunders? I was getting rid of them because of that and now I’m back on them because my new ones broke and I’m doing the best nose and tail slides I’ve ever done.
I don’t get it. Last time I had them I got stuck so easy and now it’s completely gone.
I don’t think it’s wheels related. I had bones OG’s 53 mm 100A last time and now 54 mm /some orbs 99A cause they’ve been cheap.
Btw I had venture v hollows with bones 52 mm stf’s before. 103A and even with those I didn’t slide that good.

-pressure flips and truck/deck width differences.
I guess worst case for pressure flips of all kind are smaller trucks than deck, right? Would explain why they are so easy now again that I got down to an 8.125 from an 8.25 with 8“ trucks.
[close]

I don't have any nose/tailslide issues with Thunders IF, and it is a big IF, there is a bit of flat after the bolts and the kicks are not too steep. Basically it lets me press the kicks down on top ever so slightly to get pressure off the wheel/ledge side.

Yeah me neither now. But this confuses me, cause I really could nose and tailslide with them a year ago.
Still I’ll get ventures again soon.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #1865 on: October 18, 2022, 08:48:54 PM »
Is pinching grinds and doing slide-to-grind combinations (noselide to crook, tailslide to 5-0, etc.) technically easier on more magic carpet-leaning setups or when having your trucks flush with the deck?  I feel like I can picture pros and cons of each.  Currently going through a bit of setup madness deciding what trucks to commit to…

Not sure as I've almost never really skated magic carpet setups but i feel like standard sizing would be easier since you have consistent surface area of truck to board instead of having to guess a little bit more with magic carpet.

Could be wrong entirely tho
Super Champion Fun Zone

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1866 on: October 18, 2022, 09:09:58 PM »
Wider trucks pinch a bit more level if that makes sense.  I felt with 148s my tail was higher above the ledge when I crooked because there was less distance from where the grind was to the kingpin, which makes a steeper angle of articulation.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #1867 on: October 18, 2022, 09:18:55 PM »

I don't do tailslide to 5-0's but I occasionally do noseslide to crooks and have observed those only really work for me when I have extremely loose trucks. When the front truck already is jingling around or getting contorted during the noseslide, it really takes a fraction of the usual nudge to hop and get it on top of the ledge. Can't really cheat nearly as much on a tight set-up - less leeway. You may be onto something too though since it's true that every 'era' where I've found myself doing that trick I always was skating decks wider than my trucks (these days I like 139mms on 8.25's but for a while used to be into 129mms on larger decks than that).

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #1868 on: October 19, 2022, 12:29:19 PM »
If I’d go for 8.125 decks over the next months ;
8“ or 8.25“ trucks?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1869 on: October 19, 2022, 01:31:44 PM »
Depends on brand. Thunder 8" trucks are lower so if Thunders, 148. If you wanna skate 8.25 ever I'd do 8.25 trucks regardless

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
« Reply #1870 on: October 19, 2022, 03:42:39 PM »
Was thinking recently about getting a zero board after seeing that Jamie Thomas vid in the other thread.

Can anyone report out on what the shapes are like? For reference, I typically skate baker boards, I also like sci fi fantasy boards.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1126
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1871 on: October 19, 2022, 03:59:22 PM »
Was thinking recently about getting a zero board after seeing that Jamie Thomas vid in the other thread.

Can anyone report out on what the shapes are like? For reference, I typically skate baker boards, I also like sci fi fantasy boards.

I had a shop employee try to sell me on Zero deck, he told me they have a pretty full shape and steep concave. If you like the Quasi/Polar/FA sort of boards, you might like a zero. He also said the wood was pretty good, durable.

I didn't buy one.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1073
« Reply #1872 on: October 19, 2022, 07:16:37 PM »

Am I the only one who didn’t know that’s vans had waffle cup sk8 high as part of the bmx line?

Anyone skate vans bmx?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1873 on: October 19, 2022, 08:18:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I had a shop employee try to sell me on Zero deck, he told me they have a pretty full shape and steep concave. If you like the Quasi/Polar/FA sort of boards, you might like a zero. He also said the wood was pretty good, durable.

I didn't buy one.

Depends what part of the world you are in too.

Here in AU they are not the same and I wouldn't touch them for what wood they are on (misc from China, but just feel wrong when I stand on them), but in USA they are at last check on BBS, same shapes as most of the good ones, especially in the 8.5 size, so comparable to any number of top brands that all use the same wood.

I would have to look at it and stand on it to see first though, but if it has the BBS hologram sticker or "Made in Mexico" warning sticker, then it would be ok - the same as Baker and Sci Fi wood, for exact reference.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1874 on: October 19, 2022, 08:24:22 PM »

Am I the only one who didn’t know that’s vans had waffle cup sk8 high as part of the bmx line?

Anyone skate vans bmx?

I think there were a couple of threads about those ones a while back, but others have said they hold up a lot better than the old pro line, which isn't hard, but haven't heard anyone compare them to the new skate line.

One specific but short thread here:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=114021.0

I know they were talked about in one or both of the Vans shoes threads too.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 462
« Reply #1875 on: October 21, 2022, 08:41:49 AM »
When do you typically retire a pair of shoes? I tend to wear through the soles faster than the sides these days, lots of slappy stuff. I’m not the type to always want to skate in something new but I don’t want risk injury with something too worn out.

upload private photos

Scottboarding

• Rep: 82
« Reply #1876 on: October 21, 2022, 09:04:08 AM »
When do you typically retire a pair of shoes? I tend to wear through the soles faster than the sides these days, lots of slappy stuff. I’m not the type to always want to skate in something new but I don’t want risk injury with something too worn out.

upload private photos
I wear through the soles pretty fast as well. I retire them once there’s a completely bald spot on the bottom. I’d retire that pair for sure.

SupremePizza

• Rep: 44
« Reply #1877 on: October 21, 2022, 09:35:33 AM »

upload private photos

If it feels risky I'd retire them however looking at those photos if they were my shoes I'd probably skate em till there's a bigger hole in the bottom. I tend to wear the sides out before the soles and will use shoe goo as long as I can till the shoe gets floppy.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #1878 on: October 21, 2022, 10:02:36 AM »

upload private photos

Gotta feel it. If there's still enough grip then they're fine. Looks ok to me for a few more sessions

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #1879 on: October 21, 2022, 10:41:52 AM »
Expand Quote

upload private photos
[close]

Gotta feel it. If there's still enough grip then they're fine. Looks ok to me for a few more sessions
I usually save shoes on this condition for fresh board, new grip eats them in a day but still provides enough grip to feel secure.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #1880 on: October 21, 2022, 10:51:54 AM »
Do decks like the classic oval 8.25 real have the exact same specs than the 8.25 classic eagle?

Checked the specs of two shops and each shop said different specs. Even the specs of the exact same decks were off in those shops.

Are there that many different shapes of 8.25 real/ah/ krooked decks? Like slightly difference in tail length or wheelbase.

What I like about brands like FA ; it’s always the exact same deck just with a different graphic.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1881 on: October 21, 2022, 12:21:31 PM »

upload private photos

I change to new ones when the sole is worn through. Those shoes look fine to me but I'm not sure if the sole is worn through on the toes on the left shoe. Mine are usually way way more bald when there's an actual hole on the sole. The uppers I fix with various way as usually those go first for me.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #1882 on: October 21, 2022, 12:25:11 PM »
I've never worn through a sole faster than the upper, even with tons of shoe goo. I wear Busenitzes.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 462
« Reply #1883 on: October 21, 2022, 01:11:44 PM »
Appreciate all the responses. I’m feeling like this almost should have been in the madness thread :D
Seems like most are saying they’re good so I’m definitely going to keep going on these. I really like skating these so to me it’s good news. Probably time to start flipping the board a bit more :)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1884 on: October 21, 2022, 04:18:38 PM »
Do decks like the classic oval 8.25 real have the exact same specs than the 8.25 classic eagle?

Checked the specs of two shops and each shop said different specs. Even the specs of the exact same decks were off in those shops.

Are there that many different shapes of 8.25 real/ah/ krooked decks? Like slightly difference in tail length or wheelbase.

What I like about brands like FA ; it’s always the exact same deck just with a different graphic.

The DLX thread is a good place for this post:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=85076.0

Quite simply, yes all the normal 8.25 sized boards are the same across the DLX range, that is anything from Real, Antihero and Krooked (as well as There and Unity now too), but it is different to the Twin shape, the Full SE shape or other new shorter specific shapes (Mis Registered Eagle), so there can easily be a few different board shapes in 8.25 in their range, up to four or five at last count.

Most likely the shop has measurements listed incorrectly or haven't specified which shape it is, but that normal 8.25 x 32 with 14.38 wb is more like 8.3 in width and wider than other stock 8.25 sized boards, when put on top of each other.

Normal:  8.25 x 32 with 14.38 wb
Full SE: 8.25 x 32 with 14.25 wb
Twin: 8.25 x 31.8 with 14.33 wb
Real short version: 8.25 x 31.9 with 14 wb
AH short version: 8.25 x 31.5 with 14 wb

As to FA and most other brands, they usually have their own specific sizes too, possibly only one option on 8.25 decks, which would be used across various graphics and catalogs as most brands don't change up their shapes and sizes too often once they have them sorted.

I can't really think of too many other brands that have such an assortment of different sizes and shapes, but there are a few that have a short and a long version of the same widths, none as complex as DLX though.

I see more comments in the DLX sizes are always off thread, but this should cover it.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 981
  • the moon rules
« Reply #1885 on: October 21, 2022, 04:53:25 PM »
I have an 8.25 Oval and an 8.25 Eagle waiting to be set up. Can confirm they’re the same
fuck you bama

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #1886 on: October 22, 2022, 03:28:54 PM »

upload private photos

Usually when I hit insole.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #1887 on: October 23, 2022, 05:13:41 AM »
Do supreme decks have the same shape as Anti hero?
Somebody said so, but still not sure about it.
I had a supreme 8.25 deck from 2016 and it skated pretty good, so it would be cool to know

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1888 on: October 23, 2022, 08:43:32 AM »
When did Ishod start skating twins or Real start producing them?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1889 on: October 23, 2022, 08:44:16 AM »
Do supreme decks have the same shape as Anti hero?
Somebody said so, but still not sure about it.
I had a supreme 8.25 deck from 2016 and it skated pretty good, so it would be cool to know

No not unless it's a special collab. They use the price point BBS generics for the most part, which have natural plies.